Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coloring SAK Scales

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Coloring SAK Scales
on: December 31, 2016, 05:28:30 PM
Well, I just felt like trying it.

Took a silvertech and a white scale and put it in the coloring solution for 3 day.
The result is underwhelming as it is more, I probably have to turn up the heat (this color is made for 40°, so next I will try to put it in the oven for a couple of hours, see what happens).

Anyway, there is something interesting here... The silvertech scales turned almost entierly transparent :salute:
I will re-try but it is possible that simple treatment with vinegar could duplicate the result.
test_01.jpg
* test_01.jpg (Filesize: 82.43 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Coloring SAK Scales
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 05:59:06 PM
High temperature test... 85-90°C

The toothpick did take the color well (but not the tweezers, sorry they are not in the picture).
The scales got out of shape but did barely change color. I might try longer at lower temperature, but at that point, I'm not optimistic.
test_02.jpg
* test_02.jpg (Filesize: 45.97 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 06:32:45 PM
That is a pretty cool test Eth :o

I especially like that the toothpick is red now :dd: :like:

That would totally make a more seemless looking SAK scale :o :cheers: :cheers: :like:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 06:36:33 PM
It also gives an alternative. with completely translucent scales, you could color the inside (spraypaint), where it is not exposed to scratching for any color you like.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 06:47:40 PM
Mad science with Etherealicer!   >:D  Cool experiments mate.  :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 06:56:22 PM
Mad science with Etherealicer!   >:D  Cool experiments mate.  :cheers:
mad.jpg
* mad.jpg (Filesize: 93.58 KB)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 04:19:19 AM
Cool experiment...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 11:47:11 AM
Silvertech scales after cleanup (picture with and without flash). As you can see it is almost completely clear with very little, light blue discoloration in some edges. Probably could clean those corners too.
test_03.jpg
* test_03.jpg (Filesize: 60.7 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 04:12:11 PM
There is plenty you can do with those clear scales colorwise now :o :cheers: :cheers: :like:

Can't wait for me :tu:

:popcorn:

us Offline irona

Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 02:42:58 AM

The toothpick did take the color well (but not the tweezers, sorry they are not in the picture).
The scales got out of shape but did barely change color. I might try longer at lower temperature, but at that point, I'm not optimistic.
I'm a big fan of that banana yellow scale

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 08:39:36 PM

:D

It was supposed to be orange... but at least it is shaped like a banana too :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 10:47:12 PM

:D

It was supposed to be orange... but at least it is shaped like a banana too :D

:nanadance:

:rofl:

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 01:45:17 PM
What kind of dye were you using, Rit dye or similar?  Rit works well on some plastics, nylon especially, but don't know about cellidor.

But finding that you can remove the paint from silvertech scales is a great discovery, even if that wasn't the original aim... many of the greatest scientific discoveries were made by accident :D  What exactly was the process for that?  Victorinox have released a bunch of limited editions with different paint colours on the back of clear scales (white Christmas, orange/green colour twins, and Olympic gold).  It would be great to be able to make our own in any colour.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 09:07:37 PM
What kind of dye were you using, Rit dye or similar?  Rit works well on some plastics, nylon especially, but don't know about cellidor.

But finding that you can remove the paint from silvertech scales is a great discovery, even if that wasn't the original aim... many of the greatest scientific discoveries were made by accident :D  What exactly was the process for that?  Victorinox have released a bunch of limited editions with different paint colours on the back of clear scales (white Christmas, orange/green colour twins, and Olympic gold).  It would be great to be able to make our own in any colour.
I used different dyes with different protocols. Commonly only the toothpick really did take the color well (I have now an orange and a black one).

Got a new batch of scales lined up and will try some more.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 04:36:22 PM
Silvertech scales after cleanup (picture with and without flash). As you can see it is almost completely clear with very little, light blue discoloration in some edges. Probably could clean those corners too.

Very interesting!
How looks a SAK with perfectly clear scales?

:like: :like: :like:
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 09:41:57 AM
 :like:
I think the question SHIBAFU was really trying to ask regarding the dye used, and what I would also like to know:
What was the solvent for the dye that stripped the paint from the Silver-Tech to make them clear? Was it just a vinegar or something stronger?

I ask because I have a set of Silver-Tech coming that I want to strip clear, then hydro swirl the inside surface in my wife's favorite colors so it shows through the scale.
I mentioned the project in another thread and was directed to your experiments. I was originally was going to use paint and Duracoat on a set of stock red scales, but seeing the possibility I jumped on it and ordered some Silver-Tech to play with instead.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with next. :like:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:43:48 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 06:17:41 PM
:like:
I think the question SHIBAFU was really trying to ask regarding the dye used, and what I would also like to know:
What was the solvent for the dye that stripped the paint from the Silver-Tech to make them clear? Was it just a vinegar or something stronger?

I ask because I have a set of Silver-Tech coming that I want to strip clear, then hydro swirl the inside surface in my wife's favorite colors so it shows through the scale.
I mentioned the project in another thread and was directed to your experiments. I was originally was going to use paint and Duracoat on a set of stock red scales, but seeing the possibility I jumped on it and ordered some Silver-Tech to play with instead.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with next. :like:
I got a new set too... didn't test it yet but my finger is on acid (vinegar).

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 05:33:48 PM
That has been a fascinating experiment and I am loving the results so far.  While they may not be perfect yet, it is a huge step forwards and I can see a lot of potential here.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 03:09:22 PM
I got my Silver-Tech scales in. They are now pickling themselves in a ball jar full of white vinegar.
I origonaly put them in a solo cup, but then re-read your first post saying 3days. Something with a lid became a good idea. This will be with no aditional heat, so about a 74f room temp. Not sure if temp is a factor but we'll find out.
Just have to wait and see.

If this doesn't work I will move on to stronger solvents and paint thinners. I just want to start out slow and see what happens.
20170118_061735.jpg
* 20170118_061735.jpg (Filesize: 255.41 KB)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:12:40 PM by Noa Isumi »
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 06:09:22 PM
I got my Silver-Tech scales in. They are now pickling themselves in a ball jar full of white vinegar.
I origonaly put them in a solo cup, but then re-read your first post saying 3days. Something with a lid became a good idea. This will be with no aditional heat, so about a 74f room temp. Not sure if temp is a factor but we'll find out.

If this doesn't work I will move on to stronger solvents and paint thinners. I just want to start out slow and see what happens.

Looking forward to the results :salute:

Be careful with organic solvents.  The scale material is not very solvent-resistant, even with mild solvents like alcohol.  That's why I was surprised by Etherealicer's discovery that you can remove the paint without damaging the plastic.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 05:26:23 PM

:salute:

I'm a bit busy at the present so it is great to see, someone else picks up where I left.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 05:58:03 PM

:salute:

I'm a bit busy at the present so it is great to see, someone else picks up where I left.
Addendum, if you have any place warmer, put it there. Assuming it is a purely chemical reaction then 10°C will increase reaction will double the speed.
If you can't see any result add a big spoon of table salt and give it some more time.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 01:59:46 PM
It has been 5days +/- an hour or so
The results are underwhelming. There are visable signs of the coating getting thiner, although only a little bit of one edge has stripped completely.
This would indicate that temperature is a factor, and perhaps that the dye changed the ph of the vinegar to be more aggressive.

Since I dont realy have some place warmer than a windowsill I will add some salt as suggested.
1tbs - 16oz vinegar
20170123_064558.jpg
* 20170123_064558.jpg (Filesize: 230.22 KB)
20170123_064604.jpg
* 20170123_064604.jpg (Filesize: 233.72 KB)
20170123_064611.jpg
* 20170123_064611.jpg (Filesize: 159.59 KB)
20170123_064617.jpg
* 20170123_064617.jpg (Filesize: 145.88 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 10:28:39 PM
Well, it is a result, just not enough but it is the right path. Maybe the salt will help.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 06:45:03 PM
Since vinegar + salt have been taken care of I thought I try some other acids.

- Coke
- Lime juice

Time to wait...

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 03:06:36 PM
Sorry I havent posted an update. It has been 7 days since I added the salt. When I added it and gave the jar a shake some more of the thinner bits on the ribs pealed off. I'm pretty sure that was just due to the agitation.
Today I remembered to look in on it and there is progress. The salt/vinegar mix does work cold if you have the time to wait. As stated before I keep my place is around 73f (22c) this time of year. Seems I am committed to following the cold slow road since I am really curious now just how long it will take.
It will be intresting to do another set in the summer when it is 90-100+F on my front porch and see how much quicker it goes.

So here's some update pics. As you can see the cutout scale is clearing up much quicker and is completely clear in many places. The shield scale is thinning quite a bit and you can see light throughout large portions. When I started I had a feeling the coating was thicker on this one; seems I was right.
After taking these I mixed a fresh solution same as before,  roughly 16oz vinegar/ 1Tbs salt.
20170130_073053.jpg
* 20170130_073053.jpg (Filesize: 283.98 KB)
20170130_073043.jpg
* 20170130_073043.jpg (Filesize: 277.01 KB)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:11:06 PM by Noa Isumi »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 04:03:34 PM
Sorry I havent posted an update. It has been 7 days since I added the salt. When I added it and gave the jar a shake some more of the thinner bits on the ribs pealed off. I'm pretty sure that was just due to the agitation.
Today I remembered to look in on it and there is progress. The salt/vinegar mix does work cold if you have the time to wait. As stated before I keep my place is around 73f (22c) this time of year. Seems I am committed to following the cold slow road since I am really curious now just how long it will take.
It will be intresting to do another set in the summer when it is 90-100+F on my front porch and see how much quicker it goes.

So here's some update pics. As you can see the cutout scale is clearing up much quicker and is completely clear in many places. The shield scale is thinning quite a bit and you can see light throughout large portions. When I started I had a feeling the coating was thicker on this one; seems I was right.
After taking these I mixed a fresh solution same as before,  roughly 16oz vinegar/ 1Tbs salt.
Looks like it works, just a lot slower than expected, maybe a daily shake would speed things up.
Now I have to go home and look at mine :ahhh

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 02:50:40 AM
Just a quick update photo
 I changed out the solution again this afternoon
20170203_170045.jpg
* 20170203_170045.jpg (Filesize: 167.18 KB)
20170203_170053.jpg
* 20170203_170053.jpg (Filesize: 173.93 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 08:47:54 AM
So, it takes a lot longer BUT it seems to be working :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 01:17:04 PM
So, it takes a lot longer BUT it seems to be working :tu:

It does indeed.  They're looking good Noa. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%