Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Philosophy

Danjo · 96 · 5916

us Offline Danjo

EDC Philosophy
on: December 31, 2016, 07:11:52 PM
I'm a subscriber to the survival adage that "3 is 2, 2 is 1, and 1 is none." If you have three of something and one breaks, get stolen or lost, you still have two, etc. I apply the same philosophy to my EDC SAKs. I always have my Classic SD on my key ring and a Tinker in my right front pants pocket. In my left front pocket, I swap out the knife I carry on a weekly basis for fun. For me it keeps me with the two knives I use most often, but still lets me give pocket time to my other models. In other words, it keeps it fresh. What is your EDC philosophy?
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Re: EDC Philosophy
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:34:45 PM
Like you i also carry a small Classic on my keychain, for the file and scissors, and a Tinker in my jeens pocket most of the time. I ocasionaly swap it by either a 80's small tinker, a super tinker or a evo s16, more for a change than anything else. I never EDC more than 3 layer Sak's for normal city life. I only pull out the big boys when i head out to the country  :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:07:30 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 07:52:58 PM
One is one, two is too many
Lighter is better
Re-evaluate often
No shelf queens

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 08:00:43 PM
What I'd like to know is how often has anyone lost or had a tool stolen to validate the philosophy?

I'm not questioning the belief I am legitimately wondering. 

When I am out hiking or camping I certainly adhere to that belief as well.  In my day to day life I don't or I don't think I do  :think:

My thoughts are, I carry 2 lights mostly as one light can serve as a battery holder or it has additional features.  What I mean is I have a light that I can attach to my cap while the other cannot.  I have one which has strobe while the other does not. 

If I carry a folder I typically don't carry a spare folder however I will have a SAK or MT so that's kinda similar I guess.

I never usually carry 2 MTs per se.  I do carry a SAK and a MT so again kinda similar. 

Looking at it I guess one can say I do adopt the philosophy in a way  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:32:22 PM
 +1.  Like Aloha, I spend a good deal of time in the woods and normally pack the knife I picked for the job.  Not slamming on anyone who packs more.  My oldest is a walking cutlery!  Maybe I have been lucky so far!
Barry

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 08:58:30 PM
I used to only carry a single folder to keep my stuff light. However I often found it was more convenient to carry a small blade of some sort to use as a "clean" blade. This became especially evident after having 2 kids. You wouldn't believe how many places bring you kids food with no way to cut it up for them.  Pulling out a 4.5" folding tactical knife to cut up a piece of chicken will get you some dirty looks.

I don't usually carry 2 of the same type of tool. Like I wouldn't carry 2 large folders or 2 multitools. I may pair 2 different multitools with different tools to complete the carry, but I wouldn't carry 2 Waves for example.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 09:17:35 PM
Light.
SAK.
Executive in coat pocket in case the SAK im carry that day has no scissors.
MT on occasions.
Lighter is definitely better for me.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 09:52:42 PM
Lighter is better
Re-evaluate often
No shelf queens

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

I very rarely give a five out of five thumbs up, but I will for this post!

For a very good part of my life I got sucked onto that survival do-do, then I got tired of lugging pockets full of junk around. I'm a senior citizen and I've had a full life of backpacking, canoe camping, motorcycle camping and touring, and even been off to a war in a little country in Southeast Asia. I've never had a good quality item like a SAK or name brand Flashlight let me down. I finally said the hell with it, and now I just carry one of each. Pockets are a laot lighter, and I'm free of the dogma of the marketing sales pitch that I feel for in my younger days.

Hiraethus is the first person I've seen get it right!!

Yeah!  Classic on keyring, tinker in right front pocket. That's it. Once in a while I'll carry an Opinel, but inevitably I'll need a screw driver when I do. So I stick with my old tinker.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:54:49 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline docfossil

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 10:23:45 PM
I agree this will be an interesting thread and we will see a number of different points of view.

What I carry depends on what I am doing, what I believe I will need, and where I am going.

On a backpacking trip I will usually carry more than when I car camp. If something is lost, broken, etc, I can hop in the car, drive and get a new item. Backpacking in a wilderness area where I am days from the trailhead is a different story.

First, I am getting older and have learned to do with less, do without, or improvise as an alternative to carrying a 50lb backpack. I have younger friends who carry the kitchen sink when they backpack; not I.

If I were to explore a cave, trust me, I would have at least 3 or 4 sources of light. Other than that, I have a button battery flashlight on my key ring, and slightly larger one on my briefcase. Neither of these are acceptable for cave exploring  :)

When camping I will have two knives; a SAK Huntsman or Ranger and a 4” Mora. The Mora often substitutes as a small axe to split wood (batoning). If my equipment suggests that I may need a pair of pliers, then a might carry a MT or a small pair of pliers. 

I will carry several methods to start a fire; matches, a ceramic rod, and a lighter. All of these taken together are probably lighter than my SAK.

Often I will negotiate with my friends who will carry what. We can't plan for every emergency. We carry one tent for each pair of backpackers. We don't carry a spare tent. I guess if one were to get damaged, the ground cloths could be used to make a shelter or else we get really cozy in the shelters that remain.

Around town, I only carry my SAK. When I go to work, I have a MT in my car and another one in my briefcase.

My 5 cents.

Happy New year to one and all.

Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 10:51:57 PM
The reason I carry a MT with a lot on it and a SAK with a lot on it is in case I lose one I still have the other to fall back on :tu: Plus I like having both with me and don't really notice them as I carry plenty of stuff anyways :D

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 11:11:55 PM
I tend to be a Minimalist. My Wenger Traveler handles most of the jobs that come along over the course of a year and rides comfortably in my pocket. When I was working I had a Chinese knock-off multitool in the desk (cheap and little heartburn if it vanished) for the occasional larger task. Now that I'm retired there's any number of tools within a dozen yards of where I'm sitting, so no need to carry a shop on me.

us Offline getahl

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 11:29:08 PM
Light, useful, and comfy is my EDC philosophy. Small light, small knife, thin wallet, light keychain. Pancake sized phone, but it fits in my back pocket just fine. Generally speaking, if I can see, write, tell the time, and occasionally cut things, I'm in good shape.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fi Offline temo

Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 12:11:11 AM
I might have to admit that I am maximalist. I just like tools with lot of options. So can select different tools every now and then. Still wannabe minimalist but just miss always something with minimal carry.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 12:48:01 AM
I fell into the "one is none" crowd for a while.  But I came to realize that (aside from outdoors like others have mentioned), losing a knife or breaking scissors or having a flashlight die would just be an inconvenience, not an emergency.  Again, there are exceptions, but we're talking EveryDay. 

So for a philosophy, I try to avoid inconveniences, but also avoid redundancy.  If I can't fit it in normal pockets, I'm probably not carrying it often.  I can understand sheaths and bags for job sites or working on a task that requires tools, but I have no need for a Bat Belt to go to the store or out to dinner.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 12:51:36 AM
Lighter is better
Re-evaluate often
No shelf queens
Hah!! Yeah same here. Though I do recognize the need for redundancy out in the field.....which I am not. My only redundancies are what I have in my bag or cars. But not on my person. Not enough real estate and would attract the wrong kind of attention unfortunately.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 01:24:36 AM
Always a Folder + MT + Keychain SAK and light, those 4 are carried 24/7/365. I am young, can carry it and find peace if mind AND fun in doing so. I love gadgets and feel prepared with them. If I have my clothes on, I will sure have at least this on me

Sometimes a second folder, a larger SAK or backup MT + Secondary light if I am carrying my EDC bag or sling/shoulder bag, which is more often than not. So if I carry my bag in addition to my clothes I will have at hand something like these together

For me two is one, one is none and in any case a backup is always nice to have, or just to play with or fondle/show to friends.   :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Offline temo

Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 01:26:27 AM
Oh I did miss question. With amount of tools I am minimalist. I never carry multiple items except keychain plus normal or large size. I trust tools so if I have example scissors, I do not worry that I would need still backup scissors. So max tools but different tools.

us Offline rivercity

Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 02:40:35 AM
The older I get, the less I carry.

Most days, its a keyring with a car fob, house key and Vic Rally. Front pocket wallet, with a few yards of duct tape wound around a old store card. Cell phone, and one of a select number of SAKs that I like to carry (mostly 2 and 3 layers with phillips).

Its all in what you need, and these days, this set up more than meets my needs.
photo(57).JPG
* photo(57).JPG (Filesize: 297.29 KB)
Chuck

"Well, when it comes down to me against a situation, I don't like the situation to win." ~ MacGyver

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 05:22:10 AM

Most days, its a keyring with a car fob, house key and Vic Rally. Front pocket wallet, with a few yards of duct tape wound around a old store card. Cell phone, and one of a select number of SAKs that I like to carry (mostly 2 and 3 layers with phillips).

I've found that to be true, although I'm not really sure why. I don't carry near the ridiculous amount of stuff that I did in my younger years. Less knives, less redundant hardware. Besides, I've found out that you can fix an amazing amount of stuff with a paper clip and/or duct tape. Sometimes I look at what they carry on the edc sites, and it looks like batman carrying the bat belt. Maybe we finally reach an age where we don't have any illusions anymore, or fantasies about saving the world.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 05:55:37 AM

I've found that to be true, although I'm not really sure why. I don't carry near the ridiculous amount of stuff that I did in my younger years. Less knives, less redundant hardware. Besides, I've found out that you can fix an amazing amount of stuff with a paper clip and/or duct tape. Sometimes I look at what they carry on the edc sites, and it looks like batman carrying the bat belt. Maybe we finally reach an age where we don't have any illusions anymore, or fantasies about saving the world.
I think your last sentence hit the nail on the head. I use to carry a big folder and an MT every day. I was always tightening my belt. I realized that the things I used those for made no difference in the outcome of any situation I'd ever been in. It's more about being comfortable with a few handy tools to make your life a little easier. A SAK does just that for me. I don't think I'm old though.  :-\ Just wiser?

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 06:02:42 AM
My philosophy...if ,and that's a big IF,

you can carry it...take it.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 06:08:22 AM

I think your last sentence hit the nail on the head. I use to carry a big folder and an MT every day. I was always tightening my belt. I realized that the things I used those for made no difference in the outcome of any situation I'd ever been in. It's more about being comfortable with a few handy tools to make your life a little easier. A SAK does just that for me. I don't think I'm old though.  :-\ Just wiser?

Wisdom comes at different times for many of us. Me, I have a thick skull, and it takes a bit longer for an idea to get through all the calcium! But I learn eventually. And a SAK is a good lesson in efficient minimalism.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 06:37:41 AM
SAK in my pocket, small light on my car keys and mt always in my bag and car glovebox.

Happy new year to all! :salute:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 07:40:38 AM
Light is right for me too...

On person I carry a OHO folder for convenience, SAK for the basic tools, small wallet and medium sized smartphone. If I am out and about at night I'll take a small flashlight.

I have an EDC organizer with redundant items that stays in my car or work bag. It comes in handy about once a month.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 08:55:16 AM
EDC = always
Something that shoots bullets and a few spare rounds
Something that cuts stuff, easy to open one handed a plus
Something that opens beers and can tighten a screw or two
Something that lets me see in the dark

Redundancy, extra 2,3,4 in a bag along with a full sized multitool in the vehicle.

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 09:44:18 AM
Less is more for me. Use to carry a trekker but found that I didn't use the saw so swapped for a nomad. Surprisingly the weight/width saving, though you would think minimal, did make a big difference.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

my Offline Everdying

Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 01:25:19 PM
usually a classic and nitecore tip / olight i3e on my keychain, with either a compact / evo s14 in coin pocket.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 02:16:18 PM
I was a scout as a child so I think of "always be prepared". But in situations where I might need to open, adjust, modify or dismantle something, often knowledge and ingenuity has me better prepaired than the actual tools. Many things can be used as a pry tool or screwdriver.

For backpacking or cycling, weight is a common theme in those communities. The lightest weight option is always sought. But I'm carrying about 20lbs around my mid section that doesn't help, so I worry less about an extra pound in equipment that isn't ultra light. I'm not a weight weanie about things but I do consider weight at some point.

I don't like to split tools up over too many multis and SAKs while carrying them around. The whole reason I loved SAKs as a kid was because 1 knife did everything. I was told the "motto" of the Swiss army was to travel light (not sure where this idea came from).

But in practice around the house, or at a specific job (taking apart a computer, assembling furniture, etc) I often have 2 or 3 SAKs open to a different tool and I leave that tool open during the entire task (like an IL phillips, opener/lifter used as a SD, pliers, scissors - 4 SAKs open to a tool, all on my desk being used like traditional tools)

For EDC I spend a lot of time considering which SAK to bring. And as far as backups or being "fully covered" with a wide array of tools, I just imagine being wherever it is I'm going without the specific tools in any particular SAK. Would I be ok without it?

Keeping things compact, light and yet tool-rich is part of the hobby of SAK modding for me. Always thinking about which configuration is the "ultimate". The hobby is really more of a mind-game. I think about, imagine, ponder, look at, research and mentally build MODs way more than I actually use any SAK. It's pretty much non stop when I'm not thinking about how miserable I am.

Now in actual practice for EDC I generally end up grabbing an 84mm MOD for most days around town. It's the one I post pics of often. It's 4 layers with the tools I use the most. Sometimes I'll take a Compact if I think I'll need a pen. The hook's nail file is less than ideal but at least it's there. The 84mm SAK has the better Sportsman type nail file...but no pen... :ahhh

Looking back on the times I didn't end up with the right tools while out around town during daily life, I can't think of many. On the job once there was a need to tighten 2 nuts. I had a CyberTool 34 with me and used the pliers. They were far less than ideal, but did get the nuts tightened in the end. For that type of work (lots of A/V equipment being set up), my instinct was correct - bring something with more tools on it. But it simply wasn't heavy duty enough to inspire confidence. So I tuck it away in my memory. And next time I'm doing similar work, I'll bring a more robust set of pliers and small spanner.

So treating everything in life as research is another part of my "EDC philosophy". In backpacking and bikepacking they say to always reasses what you actually need. If theres something that never gets used, consider removing it from the kit.

But for many of us there's more to these little tools than necessity. I simply enjoy fiddling with a SwissChamp for example. I might bring a SAK that I feel like playing with while stuck at some social function. It gives me something to occupy my mind and hands while I'm in the corner waiting for an opportunity to leave unnoticed.

Camping/hiking/doing special jobs are all times when I consider the upcoming activities. So different combos of SAKs might get chosen...but that's not EDC for me, more of a special occasion.

I have a bare minimum policy as well. There's gotta be a nail file and (preferably 84mm or 91mm) scissors. So I'll never be carrying just a Tinker or Farmer as my only tool, for example.

-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 02:17:33 PM
Great to see this topic is getting a good interest, and it's also nice to see so many different opinions and EDC needs.

Regarding general EDCing of handy tools/items, apart from my mentioned and trusty small keyring'd classic and the pocket tinker, i forgot to mention that i also carry on a small (tobaco pac sized) leather pouch on my EDC work bag with little handy little items succh as paper clips, some bandaids, small piece of doublesided sanpaper like nail file, a measure of srting cord, a piece of folded aluminum foil, mini pen, mini flashlight, mini usb pen, the small V sharpener piece of a Vic's dual sharpener, and a bit of plastic with a measure of duct tape rolled on it.
You'll never know when stuff like this will come in handy...  :tu:
Oh... and of couse some of the modified screwdriver bits to use with the tinker's bottle opener when needed.

EDIT: Just one final tought about SAK's or MT's, IMHO only, i only use them as tools (apart from knife funcion obviously) whenever i have no real proper tools arround to use (and for relatively light use only), and tool use is necessary for an emergency or "on the spot" tool need.
For "proper" antecipated work that requires tools i always use decicated tools, as a enthusiast tinker i have tons of dedicated tools for preety much everything :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 02:37:08 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 02:43:13 PM
not having a collection of MT/SAKs what i carry is very simple - day to day a juice and this time of year a cheapo flashlight in my fleece pocket.
After that its activity dependent - If i am doing something where i think i'll need something heavier I'll bring my wave or a dedicated knife if i'm kayaking/climbing etc.
Sometimes i'll drop my opie #7 into my pocket too, but right now i can't find it  :facepalm:
I have a swisschamp i got as a gift years ago and i never carry it, it's just too big and heavy. All my kids have Vic Hikers, i've thought about getting myself one, but theres pretty much nothing it has my juice wont cover and i like having a pliers on me, it gets used as much as the blade does.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD