Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Philosophy

Danjo · 96 · 5883

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: EDC Philosophy
Reply #60 on: January 26, 2017, 06:43:22 PM
Here's a +B pic of the Carver SW in its full glory. No can opener, no cap lifter, serious tools only.
The green one sold out a month ago, the silver shortly after.
carver.jpg
* carver.jpg (Filesize: 161.11 KB)

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #61 on: January 26, 2017, 08:21:54 PM
I am a less is more guy when it comes to EDC. The small stuff does a good enough job for day to day activities, without all the bulk of bigger pieces that are better suited for specific needs.  A Minichamp or a Leatherman CS/PS on my keyring with a Solitaire for when I need some light, a folder and a lighter. That's about it from a tools perspective. Oh and I also wear a Tread a a watch band, but that does not take any space in my pockets. If I carry a bag, an MT, a water bottle, pen and notebook are standard
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:23:25 PM by microbe »
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #62 on: January 27, 2017, 04:38:54 AM
I tend to carry a MT in a pouch on the belt, and a 111mm SAK in the pocket with a lanyard, plus a flashlight in my other pocket plus my keys and wallet, nothing fancy really.

I really prefer the 111mm series for EDC, it just works for me. It started when I found my Dual Pro X in the bottom of a Gander Mountain clearance bin for $19.99, what a steal!
Last of the V8 Interceptors

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: January 27, 2017, 09:07:37 AM
I found my Dual Pro X in the bottom of a Gander Mountain clearance bin for $19.99

Nice!!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #64 on: January 27, 2017, 04:09:39 PM
To me, these are the basic 4 since I started my EDC system many years ago

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #65 on: January 27, 2017, 04:14:17 PM
MAN scales!  :like:

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #66 on: January 27, 2017, 09:15:03 PM
Hang on, this might be painfully long.

Philosophy.  Isn't the definition of, or at least the inherent theme of philosophical discussion, one of
ever-questioning, ever-changing, ever-adapting, ever-evolving, ever becoming more-aware?  Oh, and
if you're a Philosophy professor, inherently owning a terrible hair cut and wardrobe? 

With that in mind, my 'observation' over time (notice I avoided the P word?), is that their is:
- Need, driven by circumstance, whether planned for, or not
- Want, driven by unaddressed need, or by an ever-changing awareness of what's available that we
don't already own (can you say forums, Google advertising?).
- Discovery, clicking on that new forum thread, or Google link
- Fear, whether suggested by other's stories, or by one's own experiences
- Endearment, remembering how a loved or others in history EDC'd

Here's my situation:
When a young boy living in Alaska, my Dad got me my first little pocket knife (1970 or 1971).  This was a very special gift to me, but I lost the knife. I remember the cuts that knife gave me though  :)

During my High School years, I didn't carry much, and just relied on my Dad's tools for fixing my car.  My EDC was a comb, a pen, wallet, maybe an old G96 Japanese small SS locking knife that was a duplicate to the one I bought my grandfather as a present.  I loved that we both had the same knife. He's gone now, and I have both mine, and his. The were bought in 1980 or so in Texas.

Young adult years saw a need for something.  I didn't have many of my own tools, but my Dad gave me one of the first Leatherman Pocket Tool MTs, back in the 80s.  This was with me most weekends, and evenings, along with the comb, and wallet.  I used the HECK out of that thing, and pinched my hand with the pliers many times.  I still have it, in a Condor pouch at work.

Working musician by evening, desk jockey by day, Jeeper on the weekends during my 20s and 30s - I worked all through Southern California in rock bands and would drive as far as 100 miles to gigs.  This meant I needed to include basic guitar/bass, amp repair parts and tools, and food and water, and comb (hey, I was on stage!).  I added a small camera case full of knobs, wires, batteries, small screw drivers, knife,  electrical tape, strings, even a battery powered soldering iron.  During this time, I bought a Tinker and loved it because it was lighter than the LM.  Lost it, unfortunately.  I also got into off-highway exploring, and then hard core rock crawling.  This lead to a complete set of tools, rescue equipment in the vehicle.  During those trips, I carried, on body, the LM, a AAA Maglite, and quick tire deflaters and a Vic Classic on the keychain.  These were the years of mail order catalogs and I spent a lot of time ordering from Sportsman's Guide.  I started collecting interesting knives because they were staring at me from the catalogs, not because I needed them. Also, my Dad is a knife collector which inspired me.

Now, as a home owner, I'm still a casual musician and don't need a ton of tools.  But, I have a garage with dedicated tools.  The Jeeps were replaced by a phru phru truck.  I still drive a desk all week, and do home repair/upkeep, and woodworking on the weekends.  Now I carry one of a variety of SAKs with a AAA Olight on a dangler, and on my keys, only a Utilikey (or Classic) and a tube.  In my truck, I have a Fatty in the console with a Sidekick, and Get Home/Bug Out bag in the bed, along with a week's worth of food and water.  I'm in Colorado where weather can determine what I carry.  Sadly, I don't need a comb any longer  :facepalm:

So, my philosophy is that is EDC driven by several things, and may change over time.  I love my Wave, but rarely carry it.  My wallet has hair bands for my daughters, plus band aids, coffee filter, etc.  Otherwise, it's the 91mm SAK and Olight, then something on my keychain.  I do miss pliers sometimes, though.

us Offline Danjo

Reply #67 on: January 28, 2017, 04:52:46 AM
Mizedog, nice post! I agree that the P word is something that evolves and EDC can be based on many things such as need, fear, etc. I tend to base it on need based on a combination of experience and projection/anticipation. Like you, my needs have changed over time, and continue to change depending on my current activity (if I go fishing or camping, or traveling etc).
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #68 on: January 28, 2017, 04:59:26 AM
Holy Typewriter, Batman!  I'm sorry for the long post, all. :oops:

Tanks for the kind words Danjo

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: January 28, 2017, 01:51:33 PM
Don't apologize for sharing your thoughts and experiences, Mizedog. This is what we come here for.  :tu:

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: January 28, 2017, 09:41:31 PM
My EDC Philosophy for all the things I carry around:

- It must be useful and I must have joy in it. Otherwise, I'll let it be.
- The simpler the better.
- As big as necessary but as small as possible.
- Less is more. Remove what's not needed weekly.

In my opinion it's only a true EDC if you need it, use it and appreciate it.
Only the time you carry it this way makes it really special. You can not buy that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:27:05 AM by Sneider »
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #71 on: January 28, 2017, 09:47:42 PM
My EDC Philosophy:

- It must be useful and I must have joy in it. Otherwise, I'll let it be.
- The simpler the better.
- As big as necessary but as small as possible.
- Less is more. Remove what's not needed weekly.

In my opinion it's only a true EDC if you need it, use it and appreciate it.
Only the time you carry it this way makes it really special. You can not buy that.

Well said S, I completely agree.  :tu:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: February 19, 2017, 10:10:46 AM
At work my edc is Gerber Balance and Rolson Box Cutter. If I had to make do with just one, the Balance would hit the bin first!
My keyring now sports a LM Micra.....partly because I found it lying around and didn't regard it highly enough to be put with my "Collection"
The scissors are now useless, won't even cut paper. But the Blade is handy for opening packets and is therefore the only reason it's still on my keys.

Like others here, I just want either a Juice sized Spirit or a Alox scaled mini multitool.
Until that day comes, my daily carry will not change....unless I dump the Micra in favour of the Rolson Box Cutter!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Online powernoodle

Reply #73 on: February 19, 2017, 01:15:00 PM

Very good stuff, M Dog.

One is one, two is too many
Lighter is better
Re-evaluate often
No shelf queens

I like this - except that I have tons of shelf queens.  That "3 is 2" stuff has always driven me bonkers, because 3 is not 2, but I understand what is trying to be communicated.

I think my EDC philosophy is best characterized as schizophrenic utility.  Some days I go pretty minimalist, because the objective side of my brain is swollen that day and I realize that I don't really "need" anything in my pockets.  From an MT or SAK perspective, I rarely use anything other than a blade, and on rare occasions a phillips driver or pen.

Other days, the subjective "more is better" side of my brain is inflamed, and I'll carry a Swisstool on the belt, a big serrated folder and maybe a 4 layer SAK.  One those days, the "be prepared for anything" part of my psyche is working, and it makes me feel good to have a 12 ounce MT on my belt even though I know I will never use it.

So, I go back and forth with the breeze.  Light and minimalist some days, heavy and ready the others.  But that's part of the fun.

I could get by with just a PS4 in my pocket.  But most days I want more.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:19:56 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #74 on: February 19, 2017, 06:57:57 PM

Very good stuff, M Dog.

One is one, two is too many
Lighter is better
Re-evaluate often
No shelf queens

I like this - except that I have tons of shelf queens.  That "3 is 2" stuff has always driven me bonkers, because 3 is not 2, but I understand what is trying to be communicated.

I think my EDC philosophy is best characterized as schizophrenic utility.  Some days I go pretty minimalist, because the objective side of my brain is swollen that day and I realize that I don't really "need" anything in my pockets.  From an MT or SAK perspective, I rarely use anything other than a blade, and on rare occasions a phillips driver or pen.

Other days, the subjective "more is better" side of my brain is inflamed, and I'll carry a Swisstool on the belt, a big serrated folder and maybe a 4 layer SAK.  One those days, the "be prepared for anything" part of my psyche is working, and it makes me feel good to have a 12 ounce MT on my belt even though I know I will never use it.

So, I go back and forth with the breeze.  Light and minimalist some days, heavy and ready the others.  But that's part of the fun.

(Image removed from quote.)
I could get by with just a PS4 in my pocket.  But most days I want more.

+1 on the schizo part   :whistle:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: February 19, 2017, 08:25:45 PM
I go by almost a list of items that I consider necessary on a day to day basis (where permitted, which is almost everywhere where I live). The version of those items and how heavy duty/capable they are and what implements that they provide depends on the situation that I anticipate for that day.

1. Multitool or SAK
-must have at least a set of "pull pliers" ie, pliers that I can use to grab something and pull, not necessarily turn a nut or bolt with (again depending on day). For example, when I carry only a SAK without pliers, I carry a swisstech plier tool.
-i USUALLY require a way to turn Phillips and flathead screws (also could be met by swisstech), and a set of scissors.

2. Knife
- fixed or folding, straight edge or serrated, depending on what I expect
-recently, I have carried a Spyderco Pacific Salt because I can have it EVERYWHERE. In the waistband at the gym drenched in sweat, in the shower, etc and dont have to take care of it.

3. Flashlight
-my 3 main lights are as follows:
Small: Ultratac K18
Medium: Olight S2
Large-ish: Olight (javelot i think)
-i choose one based on what I am wearing and situation

4. Way to start fire
-mini lighter, matches, or flint

5. Small Notebook/pen
-can be very useful

6. Bandanna or handkerchief

7. Weapon/way to defend myself and family (situation dependent) at times it fit same category as knife.

These are normally my minimum requirements for edc, and on normal days, I tend to carry it all very comfortably and without drawing attention to myself, which is important in some situations. I have found that when i wear jeans, the fifth pocket is extremely valuable for Saks, and MTs, and I usually can put my mini lighter or small flashlight in there as well.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: February 19, 2017, 08:33:46 PM
My "work" EDC lately is my BO Rebar, bronze fisher space pen and a copper olight i3. I also have a micra on my work keys that I use in a pinch or bind, really I could suffice without the micra (when I want to use it the tools allot of the time are typically too small for the application  :think:) but I feel for the size it is ok to carry it and only use it on occasion. But I don't feel like I also need to carry a large folder and SAK with this combo, if I did I know I wouldn't use them all.

I know this can completely be different from person to person and on a functional need basis, so for me this works.

It also seems like at some point when your carrying 4 different knife implements and 3 different screwdriver implements that the question of what tool to use may get more convoluted instead of just carrying the one tool that does it all, the multitool  :D:multi:

I don't see the point in carrying a bunch of redundancy. I am not a doomsday prepper and don't need to appear like I'm a walking arsenal on a daily basis.  :rofl:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #77 on: February 19, 2017, 08:43:48 PM
for true EDC purposes and needs, I carry just one item, (a SAK or MT)

but,  :facepalm:

I like these items and therefore I tend to have several on me or within reach.

I was a judge at a cyber-defense challenge yesterday, and carried a SAK mod (bigger than Swisschamp with CT layer, the spirit, Leatherman ES4, and my bag had Swisstool, and my Workchamp XL.   :facepalm:

however, one of the other judges pulled out a mid 80's Champion and asked if anyone else carried a "pocket Knife"   we chatted for a few minutes and he was happy to learn the model his SAK was, and he liked the CyberTool layer, which he was not aware existed.

two other people saw us and were interested, one has already ordered an ES4 since he loved the idea of those tiny but capable wire strippers.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #78 on: February 20, 2017, 05:31:52 AM
Honestly, I've reevaluated things, and I really never need a full fledged set of pliers, so I'm switching to a smaller SAK set of pliers and scissors combo plus a good knife, lighter and a flashlight. I spend more time in an urban setting, so a wood saw isn't necessary to me much.

I figured that I got along for many years with just a Tinker, why fix the system if it isn't broken?
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: February 20, 2017, 06:03:28 AM
Honestly, I've reevaluated things, and I really never need a full fledged set of pliers, so I'm switching to a smaller SAK set of pliers and scissors combo plus a good knife, lighter and a flashlight. I spend more time in an urban setting, so a wood saw isn't necessary to me much.

I figured that I got along for many years with just a Tinker, why fix the system if it isn't broken?

Many tend to come full circle.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: February 20, 2017, 09:47:47 AM
When I was younger, I always had at the very least, a Leatherman on my belt.  Somewhat recently I added an assisted opening knife (or full auto OTF) to my EDC.

In the last year I realized that I never had to use the various Leathermans I had on me, and every vehicle I ride in has one hidden somewhere.  So the multitools stopped being in my EDC.  I carried only a knife such as my Kershaw Whirlwind or Clash.

I was good with that until a recent happening at work where a higher up was not exactly pleased to see me whip out my Whirlwind to make quick work of a cardboard box.  While I was not approached about it, I decided to make the move to just carrying a SAK, figuring it would be less conspicuous.

To that end, either my new Wenger SI or Victorinox Pioneer is in my pocket constantly.  Though there have been a few days when one of those 2 ride in a sheath on my belt while one of my Kershaws is clipped in my right front pocket.

I like the quicker access to a blade of my flippers or OTF, but nice to have a few basic tools on my SAK...

I think perfect for me would be the quick access knife in my pocket and a modded SAK on my belt.  I don't want to molest my Wenger SI, so a Pioneer X, swap the blade for a good file, and I would be 100% happy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:49:30 AM by zrxoa1 »

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #81 on: February 20, 2017, 03:43:53 PM
I like to be prepared so I carry a thicker SAK on my person (Handyman).
I replaced the scales with plus scales so I also have a pen and pin.
The pin get's regular use, The pen every now and then.

In my bag I carry a load of goodies. People say I have everything in my backpack. Some call it a Dora pack :facepalm:
Think, flashlight, notebooks, spork, pen, marker, pocket organiser with a lot of computer tools/cables,
Also water, something to eat and emergency tools on a tether. Including a marker panel to be visible when the need arises.

My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline redmond

Reply #82 on: February 20, 2017, 04:44:27 PM
My typical EDC:

Flashlight
PSTII
Kershaw Leek
SAK Climber
LCP and extra Mag
IC 70A ham radio
IMG_0074.JPG
* IMG_0074.JPG (Filesize: 92.15 KB)
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #83 on: February 20, 2017, 05:39:10 PM
A lot of great comments and on a similar note, as I get older i carry less, partly because I just tired of carrying all the crap and partly because years of carrying lots of crap has taken it's toll on my back. I can no longer carry anything thicker than a very thin wallet  (DL, Retired ID & 2 cards) because of sciatica.  But, I do love knives so I am rarely without 3.  A Classic on my keyring, a SAK (Pioneer, Tinker or Startan) on my belt in a open top pouch and the knife of the day in my RF pocket. The Knife of the day rotates between a Peanut, a Case Stockman, a Case Jack or a similar traditional.   I always have a Vic Huntsman and a flashlight in the console of my truck just in case.
Perception is reality

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: February 20, 2017, 08:50:57 PM
My mother had a difficult time during the Great Depression, which affected her for the rest of her life.  She was extremely resourceful and taught us all how to stretch our resources.  My father had a much easier time and had no problem throwing something out and buying a new replacement.  My grandfather (born in 1880) lived with us and was the product of an earlier era with superb skills with hand tools and a firm belief that a man took care of his own building and maintenance concerns.  I mention this background to explain my belief that the most important EDC is between our ears in our imagination, creativity and resourcefulness that allow us to derive solutions to the challenges and problems we face.

For decades, the items for every day preparedness was stored in my vehicle (go-bag, jumper cable, flares, tools, etc.). In the 70s, I had a truck with camper shell with a comprehensive array of items that I would need including sleeping bag, clothes for various occasions, swim suit, diving gear, basketball gear, shower kit, etc.  The basketball gear included a couple of unopened packs of tube socks that I once used to provide first aid to an accident victim before the ambulance arrived.

Except for a phase during my college years when I carried a sheath with three throwing knives strapped to my ankle, my EDC was mainly keys and wallet.  After receiving a Victorinox Classic SD as a gift, I started to carry that on my keychain with only a brief interruption with Leatherman keychain carries and finally back to a Victorinox (MiniChamp II).

Remembering how my grandfather used to always carry a pocket knife led to the purchase of a Tinker SAK and eventually to becoming a SAK enthusiast.  As far as EDC matters go, I really don't need much since I am retired and spend much of the time in and around the house.  I have way more multi-tools and SAKs than I can possibly use but I enjoy having them nevertheless.  At the moment, I have a Victorinox Cadet in my pocket and two Explorers and a LM Juice S2 within easy reach.  Do I need them?  No, but I make it a point to use them.  When I am away from home, my car rather than my person is the focal point for preparedness.  I have used the Bullet Space Pen that I keep in my watch pocket way more than the MiniChamp II on my keychain.  If I need anything else, it is in the car.  My camping and wilderness days are behind me so my SAK carry is more about convenience and enjoyment than need.

Speaking of enjoyment, I am having a great time with this forum and seeing how other use their SAKs and incorporate them in their EDC.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: February 21, 2017, 05:44:28 PM
the most important EDC is between our ears in our imagination

Super quote from a super post!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #86 on: February 21, 2017, 06:46:03 PM

Very true indeed. 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #87 on: February 21, 2017, 07:09:31 PM

Very true indeed.

There may be some dust between my ears, but not a woodsaw.  :D

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: February 21, 2017, 07:22:50 PM

Very true indeed.

+1000  :salute:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline caninesapien

Reply #89 on: February 21, 2017, 07:28:19 PM

Very true indeed.

+1000  :salute:

Problem is, I haven't yet found a sharpening stone that can deal with such a blunt instrument :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%