Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

4everYoung's 30 day Pioneer X challenge.

us Offline 4everYoung

on: January 02, 2017, 06:02:16 PM
The Pioneer X is new to me and has really thrown my edc out of wack. So I'm committing to a 30 day challenge of carrying and using the PX.
Not sure if this fits into any badge specifically, but I'm hoping to at least find where the PX fits in with my edc.

So here's day 1/30

Opening some late Christmas gifts.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: 4everYoung's 30 day Pioneer X challenge.
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:11:30 AM
Will be watching with interest :tu:

I will have to look and see what kind of badge you can go for :think:

Either way it will be a good challenge :cheers: :cheers: :like:

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 06:23:53 PM
Day 2/30
Used the can opener as an orange peeler. Worked well actually.

And my daughter was playing in a box and requested a skylight and window. (No she was not in the box when I cut it. as info )

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:25:00 PM by 4everYoung »

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 07:14:33 PM
The can opener works so well for that, you'd almost think that was it's original intended purpose 😁
"The older I get, the better I was".

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 10:03:02 PM
Never used one for that but it looks like it would do a great job at it :cheers: :cheers: :like:

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 10:15:32 PM
The can opener works so well for that, you'd almost think that was it's original intended purpose

It did work quite well for this. I was surprised.

Never used one for that but it looks like it would do a great job at it :cheers: :cheers: :like:

Today was the first time I tried it. But that's what this challenge is about for me. Find what the tool and I can accomplish.
So I consider today a plus one in that list.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 04:24:03 AM
I have to try that!!  My SAKs are veteran box modders too.  Doing great so far!!
Barry

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 08:43:46 PM
Day 3/30
Used the "X" of the Pioneer X to cut up some paracord and make a new key lanyard. Used the awl in pushing the paracord thru.
IMG_3081.JPG
* IMG_3081.JPG (Filesize: 276.71 KB)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:48:00 PM by 4everYoung »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 08:47:09 PM
30 day challenge's will either break or make the tool you are using :cheers: Most either end up loving the tool or hating it by the end :D So far the PX looks like it is doing pretty good :like:

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 02:15:08 AM
30 day challenge's will either break or make the tool you are using :cheers: Most either end up loving the tool or hating it by the end :D So far the PX looks like it is doing pretty good :like:

I can definitely see this. I think the challenge has made me more aware of the useful nature of the tool Vs just the safety factor of knowing I have a tool (If that makes sense).
The PX has a smaller tool selection compared to many other SAK models. With only 9 listed tools, I started thinking . 9 tools doesn't mean 9 uses. There's much that the PX could be capable of than just the listed 9 functions.
I think that pretty much sums up the theme of this challenge for me. Seeing just how much I can accomplish with very little. And really just kinda growing with the tool.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 08:25:58 PM

Went in a hike with my Dad today. Had planned on taking more pics but my stupid battery died. Lucky I snagged this one early on. 
Played around with the awl. Using it to drill holes in some fallen wood.  And whittled some small limbs while we took a break.
Also added a small lanyard to the knife.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:28:02 PM by 4everYoung »

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 08:52:22 PM
Had a victory meal after the hike. Little Hickory Farms summer sausage and smoked bacon and cheddar cheese.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 09:52:21 PM
Had a victory meal after the hike. Little Hickory Farms summer sausage and smoked bacon and cheddar cheese.
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice one!  I actually used my PX to slice up a Hickory Farms combo at my folks' house over the holiday.  But their's didn't have bacon IN the cheese, that seems like winner  :tu:

On a completely unrelated note, I like the 93mm blade for occasional food work, much more than celidor, though I have no real reason why (maybe less chance of stuff getting stuck under the scales?).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:54:48 PM by eddie1115 »

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 11:32:32 PM

Nice one!  I actually used my PX to slice up a Hickory Farms combo at my folks' house over the holiday.  But their's didn't have bacon IN the cheese, that seems like winner  :tu:

On a completely unrelated note, I like the 93mm blade for occasional food work, much more than celidor, though I have no real reason why (maybe less chance of stuff getting stuck under the scales?).

Me too, really like the blade for food prep. I use it almost daily for that.  :tu:

Good thread 4, the PX is a great carry.  :cheers:

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 11:48:54 PM
I've found myself using it daily for food prep as well. Even while in my kitchen I find myself just grabbing it to slice stuff Vs trying to find a sharp knife among all the dull ones.
Actually just ate dinner and used it to cut up my daughters pizza and cheese bread. She will tell me to "use your knife to cut my food Daddy". She thinks it makes it special that her food is cut by a special knife.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 12:01:06 AM
I've found myself using it daily for food prep as well. Even while in my kitchen I find myself just grabbing it to slice stuff Vs trying to find a sharp knife among all the dull ones.
Actually just ate dinner and used it to cut up my daughters pizza and cheese bread. She will tell me to "use your knife to cut my food Daddy". She thinks it makes it special that her food is cut by a special knife.

That's awesome  :tu:  A whole extra layer of fun to this when the kids are excited about it :)

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 12:02:26 AM

Me too, really like the blade for food prep. I use it almost daily for that.  :tu:

Good thread 4, the PX is a great carry.  :cheers:

:cheers:

Offline sakfantx

• New User
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 12:40:07 AM
Howdy 4everYoung. Cool thread. I too am giving the Pioneer X a try. I have a question that I was wondering if you could help me out with...

I bought my Pioneer X from a reputable online retailer. I just received it and I am questioning its authenticity. The box was sealed, but the knife had fingerprints on it already. It also seems to have some poor machining on the alox handles, and the blade, if closed slowly, will stay partly open.

I attached a couple photos. Can you please let me know what you think? Thanks!
IMG_2491.jpg
* IMG_2491.jpg (Filesize: 185.92 KB)
IMG_2493.jpg
* IMG_2493.jpg (Filesize: 195.26 KB)

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 12:59:05 AM
Howdy 4everYoung. Cool thread. I too am giving the Pioneer X a try. I have a question that I was wondering if you could help me out with...

I bought my Pioneer X from a reputable online retailer. I just received it and I am questioning its authenticity. The box was sealed, but the knife had fingerprints on it already. It also seems to have some poor machining on the alox handles, and the blade, if closed slowly, will stay partly open.

Well I'm definitely not a SAK expert or anywhere close. So take this as my very humble opinion. My knife has similar marks at the edge of the alox scales. It doesn't bother me personally since it is a user knife. I would be more concerned with the knife not closing. That seems to be an issue. My knife has that classic snap to it. Open and close.

Is your knife marked with Vic Swiss made logo?

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 01:13:02 AM

Yikes! I think I would be getting a refund whether it had the Vic stamp on the blade or not, and find a different dealer.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 02:28:44 AM
Great pics today 4ever :cheers: :cheers: :like:

Offline sakfantx

• New User
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 04:13:23 AM
Well I'm definitely not a SAK expert or anywhere close. So take this as my very humble opinion. My knife has similar marks at the edge of the alox scales. It doesn't bother me personally since it is a user knife. I would be more concerned with the knife not closing. That seems to be an issue. My knife has that classic snap to it. Open and close.

4everYoung, thanks for sharing your thoughts. The knife does have the Swiss made marking on the blade just like yours. I do agree the blade closure is the biggest issue and will probably send it back due to that. All of my other SAKs snap nicely. What was your previous EDC? I like to keep it minimal and my current favorite is the Swiss Army Executive. I also recently got a ThruNite Ti3 NW that I am quite pleased with.

Roc, thanks for sharing your thoughts as well.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 04:27:18 AM

4everYoung, thanks for sharing your thoughts. The knife does have the Swiss made marking on the blade just like yours. I do agree the blade closure is the biggest issue and will probably send it back due to that. All of my other SAKs snap nicely. What was your previous EDC? I like to keep it minimal and my current favorite is the Swiss Army Executive. I also recently got a ThruNite Ti3 NW that I am quite pleased with.

Roc, thanks for sharing your thoughts as well.

My previous EDC was a Skeletool and a Style CS.
Hope it works out for you. Are you gonna try t0 get another PX?

Offline sakfantx

• New User
Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 05:17:45 AM
My previous EDC was a Skeletool and a Style CS.
Hope it works out for you. Are you gonna try t0 get another PX?

Nice. Thanks. I probably will try getting another one. I like the solid feel, and I really like the look of the alox scales. I use the scissors all the time, so I was happy to see this model come out.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 08:57:10 PM
Day 5/30

Slow day today. More of the same, food prep, used the scissors to trim my finger nails. No good action shots. But I did visit with my great grandfather's camillus and my Grandpa's sabre.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 10:05:53 PM
Day 5/30

Slow day today. More of the same, food prep, used the scissors to trim my finger nails. No good action shots. But I did visit with my great grandfather's camillus and my Grandpa's sabre.
Knives are the only acceptable form of hand me down.
 :like:

us Offline Wire Edge

Reply #26 on: January 07, 2017, 12:24:34 AM
I'm really enjoying this thread!  Thanks for posting the pictures and documenting your experience.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 01:30:07 AM
I'm really enjoying this thread!  Thanks for posting the pictures and documenting your experience.

Thanks for the encouragement!

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #28 on: January 07, 2017, 11:20:23 PM

Well today was just a lazy day around home. Spent some time playing in the snow with my little girl.
 Not much to report.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 01:15:01 AM
Some excellent pics 4ever :cheers: :cheers: :like:

I haven't been on as much last day or so cause I have had to get out and play in the snow with my little girl as well :D :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%