Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SAK would you gift Tim Leatherman?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Which SAK would you gift Tim Leatherman?
Reply #30 on: January 05, 2017, 03:46:55 PM
Lets not meet up then Nate  :D Dis. As. Ter
Oh I don't know about that Mags. Sounds like a proper good time. Maybe not for everyone else.
:rofl:

Ok let's do it! I'll bring the 'splosives and gummy bears.
Cool! I'll get the chainsawz and french fries.
Sweet! I'll get the Broadswords and Cheeto's
Dude! I bring some gunz and Kit Kat bars also.
Bra! I'll bring the Trebuchets and Puppies!  >:D
Good idea! We need some kittens and TP too. Where is our Greek friend Firiki at. He would love to get in on this.
Our friend firiki is unfortunately currently loaded into torpedo tube number three. He has to learn his lesson somehow. One does not simply 'Release the Kraken' without consequences.
I will bring the bazookas and Twinkies
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #31 on: January 05, 2017, 03:50:45 PM
I see. He does have to learn his lesson. Still, he will add alot of fun when he gets out.
Oh yeah, I grab some duct tape and M&Ms.
Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 03:53:42 PM
Hover boots and JuicyFruit

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 03:55:52 PM
 :rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

fi Offline Padre

Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 03:58:45 PM
Toblerone and rubber gloves?
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 04:00:38 PM
Toblerone and rubber gloves?
:tu:
Leftover Turkey and Swarfega

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 04:04:33 PM
Bagpipes and skittles.
Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 04:06:42 PM
Bagpipes and skittles.
Batarangs and corn dogs

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 04:10:02 PM
Good call on the corn dogs brah.

B-52 and tater tots.

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 04:11:29 PM
bungee cords and vaseline

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #40 on: January 05, 2017, 04:20:42 PM
Good call on the corn dogs brah.

B-52 and tater tots.
bungee cords and vaseline
Can't go ape without a B-Fiddy and tots!

Grappling iron and Spotted Dick

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 04:23:56 PM
True dat!
We need to spice this up. I say we break out the punishment chicken and just use it Willie Nillie.
Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 04:29:12 PM
True dat!
We need to spice this up. I say we break out the punishment chicken and just use it Willie Nillie.
Punishment chicken Ho!

us Offline cody6268

Reply #43 on: January 05, 2017, 05:03:26 PM
 I think the only thing worse would be to give one (especially bad would be a Swiss Tool to Ken Griffey of Bear and Sons after the way Victorinox treated the company when they owned it for the Bear Jaws outside opening  patent (which is the basis for the Swiss Tool).

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #44 on: January 05, 2017, 08:56:47 PM
I've not come across a SAK with enough quality issues to get him back for all the quality issues he gave us :shrug:
What about the (and I can't believe I'm opening this can of worms) Spirit not sitting flat on a surface while closed?  :D

:facepalm: Not even close   :D

I've not come across a SAK with enough quality issues to get him back for all the quality issues he gave us :shrug:
I have...

Which? The most functionally deficient I can think of are the 108s with the obese woodsaw and combo tool atrocity. Or do you mean manufacturing defects?
Both. Mainly quality and defects.

Which ones?
Swiss Spirit, OHT and a CT34.

I can fully understand if the designs didn't meet your tool priorities (we all have different perspectives and expectations), but if you've had quality/manufacturing issues with those tools that have been as bad as the ones I've had on Leatherman, you have been REALLY unlucky  :salute: Sorry to hear that you had such bad luck with them, Nate  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 05, 2017, 09:32:45 PM
Who is Tim Leatherman?
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #46 on: January 06, 2017, 04:36:32 AM
I bought a Sidekick and the first time I opened it,  a spring broke out and flew across the room. Now it doesn't spring open on one side. 

In contrast,  I have a Pocket Tool my Dad gave me in the 80's that is still going strong.  The awl is left handed which is useless (to me),  the pliers will pinch the snot out if my hand and raise nasty blood blisters. But,  hey; it was basically his first production design.

I choose a Victorinox whenever I don't need heavy duty because I am drawn to them for their style,  and that they're soft and curvy on the edges making them pocketable.

To the OP, I don't know what Vic makes whose functionality he hasn't covered yet,  except something refined like a Money Clip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:36:12 AM by Mizedog »

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #47 on: January 06, 2017, 06:28:55 AM
I like my Leatherman tools (Wave, Charge Ti & TTi, Surge, Skeletool, Style PS and CS, various P4's and PS4's). Only the Juice sits in the deep, dark corner of my tool drawer, never to be touched again.

If i were to give Tim Leatherman a SAK, I would give him a Swiss Champ to show him that a SAK can fit a lot more tools into a much smaller package. I think Tim Leatherman should take the cue from Victorinox and get innovative with more functions per tool.
The right tool is the one you have on you

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 06, 2017, 10:56:20 AM
The one leatherman I actually lusted after was the Juice KF4 which looked cool and came with all sorts of cool blades.
Sadly it also came with NO BOTTLE OPENER! which I found a mind-boggling oversight. What is the point of having a multi-tool if you need something else to open your booze?
So for his birthday I would give Mr Leatherman a cheap cap lifter, like the ones you find anchored to fridge doors in kebab shops.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: January 06, 2017, 02:19:00 PM
What about the (and I can't believe I'm opening this can of worms) Spirit not sitting flat on a surface while closed?  :D

I have...

Which? The most functionally deficient I can think of are the 108s with the obese woodsaw and combo tool atrocity. Or do you mean manufacturing defects?

Which ones?

I can fully understand if the designs didn't meet your tool priorities (we all have different perspectives and expectations), but if you've had quality/manufacturing issues with those tools that have been as bad as the ones I've had on Leatherman, you have been REALLY unlucky  :salute: Sorry to hear that you had such bad luck with them, Nate  :cheers:
Most where factory smurf ups and quality . The CT 34 came with a dull blade and I had to push the blade to the side to keep it from hit the liner when closing it. I am not talking about rubbing either. The edge would hit the liner. Scissor springs where warped so you had to guild the spring to close the scissors and the spring would not stay engaged the scissor handle. Also had a lose scale. That was just the CT34. The Swiss Spirit was a bigger mess, not counting the design flaws. Vic did fix them at least like LM and SOG does which is great. Ended up get rid of the Spirit. Wanted to like it, but could not. Hated that thing.
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #50 on: January 06, 2017, 04:41:35 PM

I have...

Which ones?

Most where factory smurf ups and quality . The CT 34 came with a dull blade and I had to push the blade to the side to keep it from hit the liner when closing it. I am not talking about rubbing either. The edge would hit the liner. Scissor springs where warped so you had to guild the spring to close the scissors and the spring would not stay engaged the scissor handle. Also had a lose scale. That was just the CT34. The Swiss Spirit was a bigger mess, not counting the design flaws. Vic did fix them at least like LM and SOG does which is great. Ended up get rid of the Spirit. Wanted to like it, but could not. Hated that thing.

Wow! You have had bad luck. I don't think I've had a single manufacturing defect from Victorinox whenever I've bought new. I have had issues on second hand stuff, but couldn't comment if these were factory problems or caused by previous owner. Design wise, a tool either suits you or it doesn't. I've owned bad tools, and tools which would probably be a good tool for someone other than me. I didn't like the Pulse for example. I'll freely accept it was a good tool (in hindsight), but I just couldn't connect with it.

I remember when a guy from the boatyard asked me to get him a SAK. I asked what he wanted on it, and he said "dunno..... everything". I got him a Swisschamp. He seemed very impressed on day one, and I left him to it. A couple of days later he told me he'd got an issue with it, so I popped down to his boat. He told me the saw was pathetic and if there was anything that could be done. I checked it out and told him that yes there was - stop trying to cut wood with a fish scaler.....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #51 on: January 06, 2017, 07:18:45 PM
At least you can sharpen the ends of the fish scaler, and then you've got a nifty little fork for getting the olives out of a jar.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: January 07, 2017, 05:47:53 PM
I'd gift him a spirit..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD