Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Jobs relating to SAKs and MTs?

JamesJ · 18 · 1070

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Jobs relating to SAKs and MTs?
on: January 06, 2017, 09:53:34 AM
Over the past couple months I've been planning a career change. Each evening I've looked into educational requirements, salaries and growth rates for a variety of jobs.

I'm always reading blogs and articles about navigating this daunting move. One thing they all seem to mention is to pick something you're passionate about or you'll end up feeling stuck in your career once again.

Tools, gadgets, SAKs, and MTs are something I have an interest in stemming from childhood. I have a few other interests as well, but before I start schooling in any of those areas I'd like to explore a bit more and then make my choice.

Obviously entry level retail positions exist at outdoor equipment stores or mall cutleries. I've considered an entrepreneurial approach as well, like becoming an authorised dealer for various brands online. Though there seems to be no shortage of dealers already.

I follow several professional modders and hobby dealers on their social media accounts and their posts range from stressful appologies for delays to enthusiasm over new CNC machines and custom designs. That doesn't seem to be a stable enough route to take.

I'd hope to start working in my new field ASAP but am willing to take on 2 years or less of schooling. Obtaining an 8 year degree at my age seems inadvisable, so I've eliminated most of the careers I have interest in such as astronomy and research science. I'd be too old and in debt by the time I'd attain my PhD.

What comes to mind are companies like Gerber, with headquarters located in the US (my sister is moving to Portland and I've considered doing the same).

CAD/CAM programming is one of the career fields I've been considering. I'm wondering how much of a need there is for programmers and operators in this industry.

I realise this forum is mainly for enthusiasts and collectors, but I'm wondering what opportunities exist out there. I'd also appreciate any other advice on the topic of mid-life career changes, but I don't want to get too off-topic and keep this mainly about SAKs and MTs and how to make money with them.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:55:32 AM by JamesJ »
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Jobs relating to SAKs and MTs?
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 07:28:16 PM
Buy a street vendor cart selling fries (chips) with various seasonings, and you can use your SAK or MT to cut up the potatoes.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 08:12:01 PM
I've had a drastic career change about 15 years ago: from IT to gardening. I could have been very rich by now, and I could have had my second heart attack, had I stayed in IT. These days, the number of job opportunities for CAD/CAM, PLC and other programmers are fast increasing again, but I'm not gonna go programming for a living again.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 08:57:17 PM
I've had a drastic career change about 15 years ago: from IT to gardening. I could have been very rich by now, and I could have had my second heart attack, had I stayed in IT. These days, the number of job opportunities for CAD/CAM, PLC and other programmers are fast increasing again, but I'm not gonna go programming for a living again.

I used to work in gardening, I liked it. I mainly moved plants around on a golf cart and built shelves out of old shipping pallets. It didn't pay very much but I liked being outside all day.

I wish there was a high demand for bonsai sculptors!

As for the fry/chips cart, I can't stand people/customers or I'd have probably tried that already.
-JJL

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 09:56:21 PM
I have nothing to add here. I've contemplated doing the same, but life keeps kicking me back down. Just wanted to say good luck in whatever you decide.  :tu:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 10:06:59 PM
If you follow your passion, your passion becomes just another day at work. No silver lining without a cloud. :)

If you're not going the entrepreneurial route, I'd try and think of something where what I already had on my résumé in some way or another could be read as leading up to it. When the years accumulate, the only thing you have to sell is experience.

Not to be a downer, but those are things I would think of. My brother returned to school older than usual, he had worked as a welder, CNC operator and so on, and he graduated as an engineer in a field where that history had value as on the job experience. I think that was a smart move of him.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 10:21:59 PM
This same thing happened to me, turned my interests into work and then just ended up hating my former-interests. I'm having a hard time choosing a path so I'm just trying to explore options but I do think following one's passions when looking for work generally kills the passions.

Probably why I have so few of them left.

:cheers:
-JJL

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 10:28:48 PM
This same thing happened to me, turned my interests into work and then just ended up hating my former-interests. I'm having a hard time choosing a path so I'm just trying to explore options but I do think following one's passions when looking for work generally kills the passions.

My jobs didn't spoil my interests or passions, better yet they spawned additional ones.  I still love computer programming, just won't do it for a living.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:39:18 PM by Ronald Schröder »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 10:35:56 PM
My first suggestion is to get out your crystal ball and try to predict what skills will be in demand (or not in demand) 5 or so years down the track.  So as an example maybe look at getting into the research/development/design side of manufacturing rather than the actual making/assembly side (my reasoning is that the trend for more and more actual making and assembly to be done in countries with low labour costs and lower environmental controls will continue).  And if you can guess which language/s will be useful in communicating with those other countries that would be an advantage.

My second suggestion is to be really honest about the financial effects of the transition, so you don't paint yourself into a difficult situation where you are being severely stressed.  Maybe have a look at the thread from a while back by Grant about re-training as a pilot, IIRC there was some good info there.  Maybe we need a "Careers & Employment sub-forum in MTo  ?    :think:

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 11:42:37 AM
My brother returned to school older than usual, he had worked as a welder, CNC operator and so on, and he graduated as an engineer in a field where that history had value as on the job experience. I think that was a smart move of him.

I have an MA in anthropology, and decided to quit my field to study engineering. I have 1 year left and all of a sudden the dept brass are trying to coax me into doing a dual degree PhD because industry apparent hungers for people that are compentent in hard science AND softer behavior stuff.  :ahhh
Left field combinations might just work if you are lucky :pok:
-Tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 03:15:25 AM
Have you thought about working as a vendor rep for one of the tool companies? I've worked as a vendor rep for a company that had products sold in big box home improvement stores and loved the job...

example: Black and Decker:
https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/home.aspx?partnerid=165&siteid=20
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:16:48 AM by ToolJoe »
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 02:48:39 PM

My jobs didn't spoil my interests or passions, better yet they spawned additional ones.  I still love computer programming, just won't do it for a living.

I started computer programming since I was 10 years old and for many years it was the only think I cared about. When I was not at school I was programming. A real nerd so to speak. When I finished high school it seemed the logical step to go to university for a computer science related study. So I did and at that point I was busy with programming every entire day. Just before the end of the first year came the turning point. I realised I hated what my life had become, despite the fact I was good at it and could probably make a great and succesful career out of programming. So I quit the computer science study and since that day I never programmed a single line of code anymore. Cold turkey. I was completely done with it. It's crazy how those things can go, huh?
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 04:23:54 PM

I started computer programming since I was 10 years old and for many years it was the only think I cared about. When I was not at school I was programming. A real nerd so to speak. When I finished high school it seemed the logical step to go to university for a computer science related study. So I did and at that point I was busy with programming every entire day. Just before the end of the first year came the turning point. I realised I hated what my life had become, despite the fact I was good at it and could probably make a great and succesful career out of programming. So I quit the computer science study and since that day I never programmed a single line of code anymore. Cold turkey. I was completely done with it. It's crazy how those things can go, huh?
For me, the downside of computer programming was not the work but the environment. I was born a working class hero, and I never really did fit in the corporate world of banking and insurance. Computer programming just seemed the proper way to turn my math skills into good money, but I prefer working outside, where I can see the sky and hear the birds.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 04:34:02 PM
Amici,
As for I, also being in IT, nowadays I concentrate on support, both hardware and software, and I find that the SAK to be the most useful and better yet, non intimidating tool that I can have on me all day without anyone batting an eye.

Multitools are great yes, but are usually too heavy to be lugging around on a belt all day, especially if you have to crawl around up or below. So the SAK and some sort of clip suffice quite nicely.. Plus I can take it out of my pocket and leave it on my desk when not in use without fears of the police being called..  :climber:  :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 04:42:54 PM
What about SALES.  I cannot remember the lady from Leatherman who is a spokesperson.  With the amount of knowledge here on MTO alone one can easily become an "expert".  Every company needs a vibrant sales force. 

What about design?  Take what those here on MTO have discussed about these tools and design "better" tools.  With exception to Victorinox I'm sure the others would love to see new designs. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 06:42:46 PM
What about SALES.  I cannot remember the lady from Leatherman who is a spokesperson.  With the amount of knowledge here on MTO alone one can easily become an "expert".  Every company needs a vibrant sales force. 

What about design?  Take what those here on MTO have discussed about these tools and design "better" tools.  With exception to Victorinox I'm sure the others would love to see new designs.

Eveybody is different, of those 2 options, for me it would be design. Im almost paralysed around people and can't imagine trying to sell things to them all day, meetings and phone time and trying to convince people of things....but...math, engineering mixed with creativity and problem solving, that all appeals to me. I have a friend who is the opposite. He called me on the phone so I could tell him how to "see the stuff" that's on his hard drive...he couldnt explore his own hard drive! But he's always convincing people to do things and approaching people and asking for things.

Had I a small fortune I'd probably take the entrepreneurial route and buy some machinery to fabricate my own designs. I'm still not exactly sure...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 06:44:20 PM by JamesJ »
-JJL

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 08:08:07 PM
Over the past couple months I've been planning a career change. Each evening I've looked into educational requirements, salaries and growth rates for a variety of jobs.

I'm always reading blogs and articles about navigating this daunting move. One thing they all seem to mention is to pick something you're passionate about or you'll end up feeling stuck in your career once again.

I realise this forum is mainly for enthusiasts and collectors, but I'm wondering what opportunities exist out there. I'd also appreciate any other advice on the topic of mid-life career changes, but I don't want to get too off-topic and keep this mainly about SAKs and MTs and how to make money with them.

JamesJ, I read with interest your appeal for advice on mid-life career changes.  Depending on how one defines careers, I have had four of them.  I am now happily retired with a pension.

Although frequently mistaken for a man in his early fifties, I was born during Truman's administration.  I got a later start than most with four years of graduate school followed by more than a decade of altruism which was immensely satisfying but did not advance my financial independence nor contribute to my retirement.  It was my last career in IT that has provided excellent retirement benefits.  The best advice I can offer is to look for work that will provide a pension.  Fewer companies today than when I was in the work force provide a pension.  You may want to explore government jobs since they do offer pensions and some offer retirement health benefits.

One of my brothers made his passion his profession and it ruined his enjoyment.  He is now a multi-disciplined engineer that has had to continue to retool his skills to capitalize on work opportunities.  This also points out what I consider a modern truth is that careers are moving targets. I got my last job due to technical skills but eventually relied more on my people skills as I moved quickly into management.  Job requirements can change rapidly and frequently require employees to continually adapt.  Changes in technology make it very likely that the job one performs today will not look the same in the future.

I have made it a practice to keep my hobby enjoyment separate from my work life.  Although I have strived to be happy in my work, I realized that my primary concern was to earn a living and provide for my family.  Assigning too many expectations for personal fulfillment to one's work life can be a recipe for failure.  Finding employment is difficult under the best circumstances.  I have taken jobs where the main compensation was experience and a pathway to more financially rewarding opportunities.  I have had ideal work conditions that changed for the worse due to reorganization.

I offer these few thoughts based on my experience in the hope they will help you as you consider your future. 

Jim

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD