Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP1 Scissor Mod

us Offline Wallace72

Gerber MP1 Scissor Mod
on: January 10, 2017, 06:40:01 AM
This is my first post on Multitool Forums so hopefully all goes well...I purchased a Gerber MP1 and despite the limited toolset and narrow plier jaws, I find it quite enjoyable and convenient for most of my daily uses. My first modification was the addition of scissors which I scavenged from a rather old victorinox fisherman that was beyond repair. I initially attempted to use the drill press to enlarge the pivot diameter hole at the base of scissors but it seems that victorinox steel is harder than many perceive it to be. I gave up on this as I had barely managed to scratch the steel. My last option before giving up was to anneal or soften the area around the pivot hole by heating it to critical temperature and then letting it aircool while keeping the scissor blades in water so that their heat treatment is not altered. The results were surprising and when I transitioned to the drill press, the steel drilled through very easily..probably only marginally harder than mild steel.

Scissors when folded into tool...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:46:12 AM by Wallace72 »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Gerber MP1 Scissor Mod
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 11:55:37 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:

:cheers: :cheers:

Your mod sounds interesting, but I can't see your piccies  :ahhh

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

fi Offline Padre

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:04 PM
Welcome!
I also cannot see the pictures... :(
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 04:06:15 PM
Hmmm...any suggestions on uploading images? I used the icon titled "insert image" and placed the image url between.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 04:39:54 PM
Hmmm...any suggestions on uploading images? I used the icon titled "insert image" and placed the image url between.

Yes, but I think the problem was that you are the only one allowed to view the photo (on your mail it seems like from the url). If the pictures are not to big you could use the forums upload system, found under the reply box and labelled Attachments and other options. The other alternatives are either an image host of some sort or resizing the pictures.

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 05:29:46 PM
Using the insert image icon, what share settings do the URLs have to be on?   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:39:39 PM by Wallace72 »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 07:04:19 PM
I'm using Dropbox, it's not optimal but it works. I need to place the photos in the Public folder and then depending on from where I ask for a share link I might have to tweak the url slightly to show up. Other hosts will use other systems with some better built around picture sharing.

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 12:20:29 AM
[/URL]

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 12:24:29 AM
[/URL] 

Hopefully that worked  :-[
Thank you FortyTwo for the advice..much appreciated
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:25:36 AM by Wallace72 »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 03:33:59 AM
I see them now and it looks great  :like: :like:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 03:34:56 AM
I also see them. Those scissors fot right in. Great mod Wallace!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 04:23:54 AM
Thanks guys it was pretty simple..now if I can just replace one of those flatheads with a can opener

fi Offline Padre

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 08:48:36 AM
Hey thats really sweet!
How are the scissors to use, ergo wise?
They seem to sit there pretty well!
Extra room?
Now that there is popular and pretty common 93mm scissors around maybe there is room for even larger Victorinox scissors.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 05:23:37 PM

The ergos are similar to a surge but a tad better because the portion that you push down with your thumb is a little lower.
I would say that the scissors are a 1/4 in shorter (6.35mm) than the serrated blade that it replaced.
..Are you saying that there are larger vic. scissors out there? I am not the most familiar with SAKs. 
Oh yes and I took apart one of my Gerber MP450s and the tools have the same pivot diameter and are machined the same it appears... so perhaps a file would fit

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 06:29:14 PM

The ergos are similar to a surge but a tad better because the portion that you push down with your thumb is a little lower.
I would say that the scissors are a 1/4 in shorter (6.35mm) than the serrated blade that it replaced.
..Are you saying that there are larger vic. scissors out there? I am not the most familiar with SAKs. 
Oh yes and I took apart one of my Gerber MP450s and the tools have the same pivot diameter and are machined the same it appears... so perhaps a file would fit
That is very nice to know.

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 07:49:45 PM
 :oops: I was slightly mistaken..the pivot is indeed the same but there is not enough steel on the mp450s file and other tools to effectively engage the lock. 

Are there any files that are larger in profile?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 03:51:52 AM
Well, that's a little unfortunate. The MP600 has the same tools and pivot area as the MP400/450, and most other tools arent common enough to have good info on.  Do the scissors engage properly? because the file and scissors should have the exact same pivot area.

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 04:20:43 AM
The scissors being from a SAK do not engage the lock...yet. I can probably weld or jerry-rig an extension to make the lock catch but I have come to realize that locking scissors are not necessary for what I tend to do use them for. They do fold rather smoothly and your thumb pushes in the opposite direction of the way that they fold so I don't see them being an issue. 

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 01:34:22 PM
The scissors being from a SAK do not engage the lock...yet. I can probably weld or jerry-rig an extension to make the lock catch but I have come to realize that locking scissors are not necessary for what I tend to do use them for. They do fold rather smoothly and your thumb pushes in the opposite direction of the way that they fold so I don't see them being an issue.
Whoops, I knew that. I guess i had a bit of a brain fart, and thought for a moment they were Gerber scissors instead  ::)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 12:16:27 PM
Nice modification Wallace.   :tu:   :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30