Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Engineer - has anyone ever seen one of these?

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Was reading about an unusual model the other day, the Victorinox Engineer, the only (unmodded) 91mm with an inline fine driver - has anyone here actually ever come across one of these?

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Engineer

http://archerwinsak.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/collection-victorinox-engineer-91mm.html

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Engineer - has anyone ever seen one of these?
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:59:19 AM
Well, that's my picture of my knife so... yes   ;)

BTW there are several 91mm knives with the inline fine driver - regular models were the Motorist, the Cadillac, and the Handwerkermesser. There are also several special runs made by Victorinox for companies, including Climber and Super Tinker variants for Fuchs Helicopter and a Hiker variant for Pavag Nebikon.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:06:13 AM by jazzbass »

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:09:29 AM

BTW there are several 91mm knives with the inline fine driver - regular models were the Motorist, the Cadillac, and the Handwerkermesser. There are also several special runs made by Victorinox for companies, including Climber and Super Tinker variants for Fuchs Helicopter and a Hiker variant for Pavag Nebikon.

Thanks for the info  :salute:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 07:11:09 PM

Thanks, they seem pretty rare, though!

I'm currently trying to track down a 93mm Technician in good condition...
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 10:34:03 PM

+1 it is always good to see Jazzbass here cause he is full of SAK info :tu: :like: :like:

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 10:41:49 PM
Hi, jazzbass!

I never heard about Handwerkermesser. Could you please post photo and short description (if possible)?
Regarding regular models (Hiker, Climber, Super Tinker) - if I understood correctly, it was a specific run of these models with replacement  one tool (small blade for instance) with technician screwdriver. Am I right?

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:51:28 PM
I was looking for a Campingmesser, which led me to find this photo (which shows the Handwerkermesser).  It is on "I Love SAKs" website...possibly in the SAKWiki too, I'm unsure though.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 10:56:00 PM
oops. so it a Handyman 7236maU?

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 10:59:29 PM
Hopefully jazzbass will chime in.  I just find photos, I don't know anything about them.  :D
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

ua Offline LeaF

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 11:15:36 PM

+1 it is always good to see Jazzbass here cause he is full of SAK info :tu: :like: :like:

I love seeing precise facts and info like that.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 11:33:15 PM
I never heard about Handwerkermesser. Could you please post photo and short description (if possible)?

Correct. I like to use the German "Handwerkermesser" for the 7236maU instead of the English "Handyman" due to conflict with the 1.3793 Handyman and the 1.3773 Handyman. Two "Handyman" models is already annoying, so I decided to use the name from the pamphlet that FolderBeholder posted and call the 7236maU the "Handwerkermesser".

Regarding regular models (Hiker, Climber, Super Tinker) - if I understood correctly, it was a specific run of these models with replacement  one tool (small blade for instance) with technician screwdriver. Am I right?

Correct. I don't have a good pic of the Pavag Hiker, but think Motorist with a woodsaw instead of a metal file. It even has the St Christopher inlay on the rear scale. Here are the Fuchs Climber and Super Tinker variants:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:37:23 PM by jazzbass »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 03:31:38 AM
Very cool thread 8) already a bunch of info that I had no idea about :dd: :like: :like:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 03:52:56 AM
I do like the technician screwdriver, and wish it was available on more models.

I went to visit a friend a couple of years ago, and he was having some trouble with a light fitting. I had a Swiss knife in my pocket (prob 85mm or 91mm) and some form of pliers tool. Not one of the drivers on either tool was capable of dealing with the electrical connections. That technician blade would have been perfect. My friend had some regular drivers, but they were also too wide or too narrow. Thankfully I had a Manager on my car keys, and that saved the day.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 06:53:40 AM
I'd love to get my hands on a few but I don't suppose we'll see the inline fine flat driver on a production knife again, now that the backside flat driver comes on some knives with saws.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 07:51:05 AM

The original (pre-bitdriver) version of the Wenger Ranger Alinghi has a long narrow screwdriver in place of a can opener.

R

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 11:36:38 AM
Correct. I like to use the German "Handwerkermesser" for the 7236maU instead of the English "Handyman" due to conflict with the 1.3793 Handyman and the 1.3773 Handyman. Two "Handyman" models is already annoying, so I decided to use the name from the pamphlet that FolderBeholder posted and call the 7236maU the "Handwerkermesser".

Thanks for clarification! One more question - 1.3793 Handyman it's an older version of Handyman without pliers, but with fish-scaler?

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 01:26:23 PM
I really dig this old series containing the technician's driver. Especially the engineer model.

:tu:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 06:10:59 PM
One of my ideal fantasy SAKs would be a Technician X - i.e.  a Technician with scissors... or possibly even better, replacing the awl with the fine driver (seems to be possible for the Engineer SAK), so you can retain the can opener (as this can be handy as a 2D Phillips driver)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:48:08 PM by Oxford_Guy »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%