Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sog multitool scissors repair

Offline danidorko

Sog multitool scissors repair
on: January 12, 2017, 06:36:43 PM
Hi,

I've just received my new Sog Powerlock. It's awesome, I like it very much. :climber:

I have one concern though. The scissors on it are not too good. It seems the pivot point is loose, so there is a gap between the blades when cutting. Can't even get through a piece of paper:(

Sog would repair it under warranty, but as I live in Hungary it would take ages to mail the tool in, repair and get it back. Also not cheap. So instead I would like to try and tighten the pivot myself.

My problem is that there is no screw on the pivot head and I'm not sure how to tighten it. Does anybody know? Is it possible at all? If yes how?

Folks with Sogs, are your scissors better?

Thanks! :cheers:

Daniel

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Sog multitool scissors repair
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 06:43:02 PM
Sadly, the general consensus for SOGs scissors is that they suck, and arent much good for anything tougher than paper.

The pivots are pinned, and should be able to be tightened with a ball peen hammer, or a regular hammer and a punch (you will want a clamp to hold the scissors in place if you go this route). Use moderate force, and check the pivot and function after each blow.

Good luck! :tu:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 06:48:13 PM
Yeah, SOG scissors can be quite abysmal, but with a bit of work you can improve them. Possibly peen the pivot up a bit as sLaughterMed suggested, and possibly crink the blades a bit too. Crinking is bending them inwards very slightly, so the blades push apart slightly as they are cutting. Good scissors don't rub over the full length of their blades, they just have point contact throughout the cut

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline danidorko

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:26:30 PM
I'll give it a shot, great thanks!

How does your Sogs hold up against time? Are they in good shape after years of use? This is my first multitool (in the last 10 years I used a Victorinox Workchamp - great tool, still almost like new - despite a lot of use)

Thanks again!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 09:36:21 PM
That depends how hard you are on them, and how well you maintain them. Two different users will get two different lifespans. I do understand that's not even remotely helpful, but it is honest  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline danidorko

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 12:55:45 AM
 :like:

Let's see how mine will manage. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30