Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is it possible to own too many multitools ?

dks · 48 · 1601

Poll

Can you own/have "too many multitools" ?

Yes
No

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Is it possible to own too many multitools ?
Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 12:23:01 PM
If it is a true multitool, for your specific set of circumstances - Surely you do not need more than one  ???  :pok:

In other words - If N > 1 - It is too many
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:25:09 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 10:01:28 PM
Why do you not just sell it if it causes you such unhappiness?  :think:

Yeah if I wasn't happy in my collecting I would definitely part with it :think: :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 10:07:30 PM

Yeah if I wasn't happy in my collecting I would definitely part with it :think: :tu:
+1

No point keeping something around that makes you stressed.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 10:25:55 PM
I'm in the same boat as Tosh as far as my feeling towards my collection. It has become a burden to me at times and I am constantly debating on selling everything and moving on. Then I start thinking about keeping a select few and selling the rest. Then when I actually go through everything the "sell" pile is only a few things and its not even worth selling as if I sell I want to just get rid of everything to make it "worth" it. It always ends the same way with me packing everything back up and i'm back to square one. A while back I did get rid of the bulk of my Leathermans and basically only have SAK's as the main collection. When the flood happened it made me really think about what I actually need in my life because all my MT's and SAK's were boxed up and sent away for safe keeping so I only had a few knives and tools with me for a solid month. Funny thing is I was perfectly fine with only having 5 or 6 knives/tools in my possession. It made me realize I would be fine if I sold everything, but I still cannot bring myself to do it. 
I'm the milk man!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 10:35:59 PM
I'm in the same boat as Tosh as far as my feeling towards my collection. It has become a burden to me at times and I am constantly debating on selling everything and moving on. Then I start thinking about keeping a select few and selling the rest. Then when I actually go through everything the "sell" pile is only a few things and its not even worth selling as if I sell I want to just get rid of everything to make it "worth" it. It always ends the same way with me packing everything back up and i'm back to square one. A while back I did get rid of the bulk of my Leathermans and basically only have SAK's as the main collection. When the flood happened it made me really think about what I actually need in my life because all my MT's and SAK's were boxed up and sent away for safe keeping so I only had a few knives and tools with me for a solid month. Funny thing is I was perfectly fine with only having 5 or 6 knives/tools in my possession. It made me realize I would be fine if I sold everything, but I still cannot bring myself to do it.

Maybe instead of going through the pile and putting stuff in a sell pile try to put a limit and make a keep pile? Not that I should speak, I should probably do the same myself.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 12:26:07 AM
This could be why I struggle to relate. I have never once felt that collecting was a burden, or that it gave me negative feelings of any sort. I have collected things my whole life. My mother started me on stamp collecting and eventually in coin collecting at a fairly young age. Even though I have many fond memories of collecting with my mother, I eventually figured out that is not where my interest lay...even though I still collect Canada first day covers since I started back in 86. With that said, I still have those two collections in storage.

The multi-tool collecting started as a way to give honour to my father. It has grown in leaps and bounds, but I have never bought more than I could afford. Once I found this forum of like minded individuals, I increased my collection simply as part of my love for photography. It gave me enjoyment to be able to post photos of things I have and to use this forum to share them. Mind you, I have never collected as an investment. I find that sort of thing gets in the way of enjoyment. Likewise, I also enjoy sharing my collections via photography. I see no point in collecting under a lock and key. Part of my enjoyment is in sharing with others.

No. If I couldn't enjoy the items, or it made me feel ill, or someone in my family would prevent me from viewing said items or to display them, I sure as hell would change something(s) to make me happy again...to find balance in my life. Which brings me back the beginning...I have difficulty in relating.  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline ssvs04 .

Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 01:45:41 AM
No you can never have enough! They will all come in handy for trade when the collapse comes.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 01:55:38 AM
I entered the multi tool collecting scene about less than a half years. Before that, I was interested in folding knives, but mostly on looks and quantity, not brand name or exotic steels. Fast forward, I have over 150 tools and knives in my collection atm. You may say Christmas came to me several times a week on average. I am at a point of saturation on Leatherman collecting, though I still buy now and then. Why? Good deal, tool condition upgrade, and undeniably the instant gratification of shopping and opening packages. I started to sell off some of my stuffs a while back, but the buying frequency outweighs the selling one. My collection is still growing, with duplications. The key is cheap and condition. I am highly confident to be able to get my money back, and maybe some. I have that many tools and knives, but for actual usage, only a Skeletool, a Wave, and a Vic. Rest are for fondling and pure joy of ownership. I guess there are toys for every age and gender.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, if you may excuse me. I have to go check on eBay again.  :salute:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 11:30:21 AM
This could be why I struggle to relate. I have never once felt that collecting was a burden, or that it gave me negative feelings of any sort. I have collected things my whole life. My mother started me on stamp collecting and eventually in coin collecting at a fairly young age. Even though I have many fond memories of collecting with my mother, I eventually figured out that is not where my interest lay...even though I still collect Canada first day covers since I started back in 86. With that said, I still have those two collections in storage.

The multi-tool collecting started as a way to give honour to my father. It has grown in leaps and bounds, but I have never bought more than I could afford. Once I found this forum of like minded individuals, I increased my collection simply as part of my love for photography. It gave me enjoyment to be able to post photos of things I have and to use this forum to share them. Mind you, I have never collected as an investment. I find that sort of thing gets in the way of enjoyment. Likewise, I also enjoy sharing my collections via photography. I see no point in collecting under a lock and key. Part of my enjoyment is in sharing with others.

No. If I couldn't enjoy the items, or it made me feel ill, or someone in my family would prevent me from viewing said items or to display them, I sure as hell would change something(s) to make me happy again...to find balance in my life. Which brings me back the beginning...I have difficulty in relating.  :think:

I think that in your case it might help that it is so obviously a collection? That you don't have to have any other reason for owning them than that they (:ahhh) are part of your collection?

But then again my problem is mostly that I'm not in such dire straits as to have to sell the excess off. As it stands I just have more than I need or use but most have been useful in learning what I like and  not. Oh, and some that have shown up together with other purchases.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 05:54:19 PM
aaand another pair to try out. See? There's no limit to some people's will, curiosity and excitement for new things!
 ;)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 18, 2017, 07:04:10 PM

Because Regret is a terrible thing.
I have spent 4yrs of my life searching day and night, spending £1000's upon £1000's. To sell would be utterly insane. I'm still fasnicated by the MT evolution (although certainly not the current crop).
Although I don't frequent the forum as much these days, that's partly due to most of the topics have been covered in one form or another in the past.
Also manufacturers aren't exactly falling over themselves to bring out new ideas. It's all turned into a much of a muchness lately.
Besides I don't view this collection as mine, from the outset it was always going to be eventually catalogued and sealed up for my young son.

I do still buy occasionally, infact I'm currently awaiting the arrival of yet more retro leatherman display units from the mid 90"s that I recently stumbled upon - when they turn up I'll upload pictures  :tu:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline gregpost

Reply #41 on: January 18, 2017, 07:13:20 PM
I have more multitools than I "need" but it doesn't feel like I have too many since I use them for different applications. I came to the multitool world as a tool enthusiast more than knife enthusiast. I actually don't hold any value for knives besides their use as tools. I know people that have many many folding knives, that seems sillier to me than have a bunch of multitools, but that's not a judgement, to each his own.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:16:29 PM by gregpost »

us Offline gregpost

Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 07:16:00 PM
 For those of you struggling with a materialism/objects/happiness balance you might want to checkout this website. There's also a book and documentary. They bring up a lot of interesting ideas about our consumer culture even if it's not applicable to everything and everybody.

http://www.theminimalists.com/minimalism/

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 18, 2017, 09:40:54 PM
If they are users then "too many" could be as little as 2.
If you are a collector then there is probably no such thing as "too many".

Collecting is not for me as I know that it is a battle i cannot win and this would frustrate me.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:42:46 PM by Syncop8r »

ie Offline plowjockey1

• A hammer is the father of all our tools.
Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 01:04:17 AM
I voted yes, but I'm a noobie here.

Having more than 1 multi-tool sort of defeats the purpose though doesn't it? I mean a multi-tool is supposed to have all those things you might need in a day altogether, to hand if needs be.

What's worse is collecting empty MT sheaths and boxes, when the MT that came with them gets lost or stolen.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 01:34:39 AM
I voted yes, but I'm a noobie here.

Having more than 1 multi-tool sort of defeats the purpose though doesn't it? I mean a multi-tool is supposed to have all those things you might need in a day altogether, to hand if needs be.

What's worse is collecting empty MT sheaths and boxes, when the MT that came with them gets lost or stolen.

The idea is correct but not every day is the same (hopefully). I'm a student, for most days that means I need cap lifter and corkscrew. So a Victorinox Spartan is my go to, with an Executive for the nail file and scissors. But I also try to get out in nature from time to time, then I want something with a bigger blade. A 130 mm Ranger, I don't want to try to explain that one in the city. And it just so happens that my parents have a summer house that they got in a rather sad state. While doing work there I carry a more traditional multitool, mostly a Leatherman PST since that has been what I have had. With the long thin pliers they go well with fishing to.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 02:07:58 AM
aaand another pair to try out. See? There's no limit to some people's will, curiosity and excitement for new things!
 ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

That pair looks quite familiar   :whistle:

To answer the topic, I only have a couple in my collection and they are all users. I don't subscribe to shelf queens.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 02:11:38 AM
When you see a bunch of men from NASA and CIA and such, researching the cause of Earth's magnetic field anomalies around your house, or you feel it sinking into the crust inch by inch, maybe yes.
Aaaah, I don't know, ask Chako.

very nice!   lovely blend of science and humor
If I can help, let me know 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56