Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Racecars and Multitools

00 Offline michaeljuan

Racecars and Multitools
on: January 14, 2017, 04:41:37 AM
I'm on a Formula SAE race car team (college race car) we were working on the aero package when someone asked for pliers, everyone else then proceeded to take out of their pocket a multitool. There was my swisstool, wingman, wave, gerber mp600, and a snap on. Just found it interesting that in a fully decked out shop everyone carries a multitool.
Victorinox: Swisstool, Manager
Leatherman: Wingman
Gerber: Shard
County Comm: Pocket Widgy

and more to come

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Racecars and Multitools
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 06:20:20 PM
Thats pretty normal. Most of the guys in my FSAE team carry a knife at least, or a Leatherman, Gerber etc. plus whatever I happen to be carrying that day. Especially if your shop is disorganized, having pliers, knives and screwdrivers always handy is nice.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:38:37 PM
I guess everyone knows the value of a good tool and being prepared!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 12:43:06 AM
I'm in the mechatronics program, and about half the time, I'm using something on my SAK or LM to get the job done anytime we're doing anything hands on.    Most of us just have a folder of some sort.  My instructor mostly carries a Vic Tinker (Ecoline), one of my classmates who worked industrial maintenance for 30 odd years before the plant moved overseas has a no-date code PST, and then there's my Vic or PST II.  I've also taught my instructor some of my tricks of the trade (he has a bad habit of using the pen blade, not the openers for light prying and poking).   I used to carry a small toolkit in an old (but well made)  Old Spice toiletry bag, but that weighed 5 lbs., so it had to go.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:39:22 AM
I'm on a Formula SAE race car team (college race car) we were working on the aero package when someone asked for pliers, everyone else then proceeded to take out of their pocket a multitool. There was my swisstool, wingman, wave, gerber mp600, and a snap on. Just found it interesting that in a fully decked out shop everyone carries a multitool.

Hah!! So which one was used? Was the choice made as a reflection of the tool itself or just grabbing the nearest one? Just curious, that was a good random selection of models you mentioned.

Personally I would have grabbed the swisstool or the Gerber. I'm a LM fan but I gotta admit those 2 are the ones I use consistently.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 04:02:24 AM

8)     :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 06:41:39 AM

8)     :like:

:like:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline michaeljuan

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 03:46:42 AM

Hah!! So which one was used? Was the choice made as a reflection of the tool itself or just grabbing the nearest one? Just curious, that was a good random selection of models you mentioned.

Personally I would have grabbed the swisstool or the Gerber. I'm a LM fan but I gotta admit those 2 are the ones I use consistently.

The gerber won but it was only because it was the quickest to deploy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Victorinox: Swisstool, Manager
Leatherman: Wingman
Gerber: Shard
County Comm: Pocket Widgy

and more to come

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 04:14:38 PM