Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show us your craft knives/scalpels

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Show us your craft knives/scalpels
on: January 14, 2017, 08:30:28 PM
There was some talk about these in regards to whittling as well as talk about the Havalon Evolve, a tool that is close to this subject so why not.

First up are my three quality knives in this genre.
The first is a Faber drafting knife, a style used in drafting and if I understand it correctly it is used to correct ink lines by scraping away the ink from the paper.
Second is an X-acto Gripster, I prefer this one to the standard X-Acto since it moves the tightening screw to the back minimising the chance of accidentally loosening the blade.
Last is a Swann-Morton #3 scalpel, at the moment I only have the #12 blades for it so it's a very speSmurfpillsed tool as things stand.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Show us your craft knives/scalpels
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 01:06:31 AM
Cool blades 42 :cheers: :cheers: Great thread idea as well 8) :like: :like:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 04:37:53 AM

The first is a Faber drafting knife, a style used in drafting and if I understand it correctly it is used to correct ink lines by scraping away the ink from the paper.
Second is an X-acto Gripster, I prefer this one to the standard X-Acto since it moves the tightening screw to the back minimising the chance of accidentally loosening the blade.
Last is a Swann-Morton #3 scalpel, at the moment I only have the #12 blades for it so it's a very speSmurfpillsed tool as things stand.

The drafting knife is more commonly known as an ink eraser but it also served as what is known as a "folding bone". It was used to make(or fold)envelopes prior to them becoming commercially available.Many companies produced them with handles of various materials including bone;ivory ;wood;and pearl to name a few. I have a couple with fancy sterling silver handles.
Among my medical instruments are various scalpels;some of them of the folding variety with tortoise shell handles.These date back to pre-1870 when they first started using metal handles in order to sterilize them in an autoclave. Dissection tools still continued to use wood handles as they did not need to be sterilized. The trocar set is by an old Connecticut firm of Landres,Frary and Clark that made all types of cutting tools. I won't say what it is used for;if you're interested look it up;but only if you have a strong stomach.
I've also included some utility/craft knives by various makers.Enjoy.
5InkErasers1.jpg
* 5InkErasers1.jpg (Filesize: 71.03 KB)
5InkErasers5.jpg
* 5InkErasers5.jpg (Filesize: 71.13 KB)
5Inkerasers8.jpg
* 5Inkerasers8.jpg (Filesize: 85.8 KB)
LF&CTrocarSet 001.jpg
* LF&CTrocarSet 001.jpg (Filesize: 56.74 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 04:40:17 AM
Some more medical stuff and some utility/craft knives.
Medical098.jpg
* Medical098.jpg (Filesize: 106.15 KB)
Medical099A.jpg
* Medical099A.jpg (Filesize: 110.1 KB)
Beaver1.jpg
* Beaver1.jpg (Filesize: 50.23 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 04:42:19 AM
More utility/craft knives.
Crescent1.jpg
* Crescent1.jpg (Filesize: 53.48 KB)
Gillette6.jpg
* Gillette6.jpg (Filesize: 59.94 KB)
2012Drawer2 9.jpg
* 2012Drawer2 9.jpg (Filesize: 142.99 KB)
I.P.Hyde2016.jpg
* I.P.Hyde2016.jpg (Filesize: 53.34 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 04:45:09 AM
Last ones for now.
QuickBlade 002.jpg
* QuickBlade 002.jpg (Filesize: 95.42 KB)
ToolsFromGeorgeCaggiano2016 001.jpg
* ToolsFromGeorgeCaggiano2016 001.jpg (Filesize: 58.83 KB)
UNI-TOOL 001.jpg
* UNI-TOOL 001.jpg (Filesize: 100.83 KB)
WarrenToolCoKit 002.jpg
* WarrenToolCoKit 002.jpg (Filesize: 95.27 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 04:56:14 AM
I have a set that's proved quite useful on occasion. The one that's sat on top isn't part of the set, it's a Swann Morton holder.

I also have a Gerber Artifact........ somewhere..... :whistle:
IMG_20170115_035146_800_600.jpg
* IMG_20170115_035146_800_600.jpg (Filesize: 48.76 KB)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:58:15 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 11:32:44 AM

The drafting knife is more commonly known as an ink eraser but it also served as what is known as a "folding bone". It was used to make(or fold)envelopes prior to them becoming commercially available.Many companies produced them with handles of various materials including bone;ivory ;wood;and pearl to name a few. I have a couple with fancy sterling silver handles.
Among my medical instruments are various scalpels;some of them of the folding variety with tortoise shell handles.These date back to pre-1870 when they first started using metal handles in order to sterilize them in an autoclave. Dissection tools still continued to use wood handles as they did not need to be sterilized. The trocar set is by an old Connecticut firm of Landres,Frary and Clark that made all types of cutting tools. I won't say what it is used for;if you're interested look it up;but only if you have a strong stomach.
I've also included some utility/craft knives by various makers.Enjoy.

Nice collection!  :like: :like:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 11:36:02 AM
I have a set that's proved quite useful on occasion. The one that's sat on top isn't part of the set, it's a Swann Morton holder.

How are the blades on that? A kit like that is super nice but the ones I have bought have had non-existent edges and I'm not using replaceable blades because I like sharpening them... But maybe I should, most are straight edges anyway and should be easy enough to sharpen.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 01:08:29 PM

How are the blades on that? A kit like that is super nice but the ones I have bought have had non-existent edges and I'm not using replaceable blades because I like sharpening them... But maybe I should, most are straight edges anyway and should be easy enough to sharpen.

The blades aren't fantastic, but good enough. The kit also includes a sharpening stone, and they sharpen fairly easily

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 04:21:30 PM
There was some talk about these in regards to whittling as well as talk about the Havalon Evolve, a tool that is close to this subject so why not.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice idea and nice thread! These were just crossing my mind as a thread on those knives was started yesterday on Bladeforums by a very well known and wise member there, and they seemed curious to me. Worth a read.  :salute:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1462305-A-forgotten-but-useful-craft-knife
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%