Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox Cadet vs Pioneer vs Electrician

Poll

Preferred EDC SAK

Alox Cadet
12 (23.5%)
Alox Pioneer
29 (56.9%)
Alox Electrician
10 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 50

00 Offline matty78943

on: January 15, 2017, 02:02:33 PM
So i have the opputunity to get either a black pioneer, purple cadet or an electrician and am wondering on what you people carry?

Offline LoganWyatt99

Re: Alox Cadet vs Pioneer vs Electrician
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 02:07:39 PM
Im carrying the Pioneer today. I do want to get the Cadet, Pioneer X, and the Electrician in the future. Cant go wrong with a Victorinox.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Offline LoganWyatt99

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 02:10:47 PM
My knife carry system today. Victorinox Pioneer, Spyderco Endura 4, and the Leatherman Micra.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 03:05:53 PM
The Pioneer is massively overrated. Half the tools are useless - how often does anyone need an awl and a tin opener?
(And does anyone not already have all these tools on a Spartan?)
At least on the Electrician you get a great little blade instead of the tin opener. I don't have one but the electrician got my vote (I have its relative, the Rancher - another great piece of Alox.)
I should perhaps have voted for the Cadet because I use that quite often. I like the nail file and the negligable weight.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 03:31:50 PM
Well I've been carrying the Pioneer X everyday since I received it. I used to think that the awl and openers where gonna be completely useless for me. How wrong I was.
I use the awl a lot. It catch all the duties that I would t want to use my blade for.
Opening boxes, scraping , poking, marking etc.
I haven't used the can opener for its intended purpose. But it dos make a good orange peeler or package opener.
The drivers work well too.

All in all I've been happy with it. I had to stop thinking about what the tool is supposed to be used for vs what I will use it for.

As for your choice, I'd love to have an electrician or cadet.
If I was forced to pick between Pioneer, electrician or cadet. I'd pick the electrician. The extra blade trumps the can opener imo. I picked the PX for the scissors. if not for that I strongly considered the electrician.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 04:19:03 PM
Vote for the cadet, because of the color.  :D
If they were all the same color, I'd go with the pioneer.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 04:19:37 PM
Adding scissors changes everything!

us Offline Joe58

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 04:32:03 PM
Pair up your Electrician with a Minichamp, or Rambler. Best combination IMHO for routine EDC.

:tu:
🇨🇭

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 05:04:48 PM
Pair up your Electrician with a Minichamp, or Rambler. Best combination IMHO for routine EDC.

:tu:

Till you need to open a can.

I still regularly open cans with my SAKs and the driver on the opener gets a lot of use tightening up exposed Philips screws.

The Cadet is great because it is small but the Pioneer tools are just easier to use.
Choose Awl vs Nail file or flip a coin.   Electrician is best as a second or special use SAK.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 05:19:02 PM
Well I've been carrying the Pioneer X everyday since I received it. I used to think that the awl and openers where gonna be completely useless for me. How wrong I was.
I use the awl a lot. It catch all the duties that I would t want to use my blade for.
Opening boxes, scraping , poking, marking etc.
I haven't used the can opener for its intended purpose. But it dos make a good orange peeler or package opener.
The drivers work well too.

All in all I've been happy with it. I had to stop thinking about what the tool is supposed to be used for vs what I will use it for.

As for your choice, I'd love to have an electrician or cadet.
If I was forced to pick between Pioneer, electrician or cadet. I'd pick the electrician. The extra blade trumps the can opener imo. I picked the PX for the scissors. if not for that I strongly considered the electrician.
I agree with almost all of this :tu:  The awl is a great utility blade, and I use the bottle opener as a light duty pry tool a lot.

I, personally, would take the Pioneer over the Electrician only because I would miss the Phillips tip on the can opener.  But if you don't miss the Phillips, or plan to carry something else with it, then the Electrician starts looking better.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 05:21:47 PM
One of the drawbacks on the electrician is lack of key chain ring unless you don't like them.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 05:23:10 PM
I would go for a Farmer but since it wasn't on the list I voted Pioneer   :tu:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 06:09:08 PM
One of the drawbacks on the electrician is lack of key chain ring unless you don't like them.

I  actually prefer the alox SAKs without the key ring, more comfortable to use (especially the saw - which is why i have a Harvester and Electrician Plus instead of a Farmer...), it's also one of the reasons why my vote for the Pioneer was actually a vote for a Soldier... (although I like the bail on the Wenger Standard Issue). I don't mind the key ring on the 91mm SAKs so much, it's not as uncomfortable, and you need it more with the larger ones so that you can use it with a Tec P7 dangler clip.
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 06:23:01 PM
I've voted Pioneer as I've been carrying my one (black with red shield) on and off for a while.  Just a great looking SAK and I'm a fan of the awl.  That said you've put it in my mind that I've not carried my Cadet in an age and it's about time to put that right. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 06:46:24 PM

I agree with almost all of this :tu:  The awl is a great utility blade, and I use the bottle opener as a light duty pry tool a lot.

I, personally, would take the Pioneer over the Electrician only because I would miss the Phillips tip on the can opener.  But if you don't miss the Phillips, or plan to carry something else with it, then the Electrician starts looking better.
[/quote]

I would love if they made a PX with an inline Phillips like a yeoman. To replace the can opener. That would be a perfect edc SAK for me.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 07:19:57 PM
Its a tough decision and you really can't go wrong with any of them, but if i I had to choose I would go with the Electrician. Second would be the Pioneer, then the Cadet. The black Pioneet is a beautiful knife though so it could easily take the number one spot for me.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Frailer

Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 08:09:21 PM
Tough question. 

A strong argument can be made for any of the three. The Cadet punches way above its weight class, the Pioneer is iconic, and the sheepsfoot blade on the electrician is wonderful.

With that said, it is the flexibility of the awl (which most often serves as a "rough use" knife blade) and the can opener (which I typically use to turn Phillips screws) that led me to choose the pioneer.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 08:17:30 PM
I voted Electrician, because that's the only Alox I have  :pommel:

I always want an awl. So there's that. And although I would almost never  choose/need a can opener on a pocket knife (if I'm at home I'm using a twist can opener, if I'm camping I have other equipment), I do see the obvious value in having a philips sized tip on it. Also scissors are cool too.

I'd like to get a pioneer x at one point. Definitely looks to be a spot on Alox knife.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:18:35 PM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 08:51:45 PM
I prefer the Cadet, which I pair with something like the Manager (and other toys).

us Offline cody6268

Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 09:28:58 PM
I say Farmer, but that's not on the list.  I recommend it, as a saw is always handy, and one of the thinnest, if not the thinnest tools on the SAK.

Of those listed,  I say Pioneer, as you have a screwdriver tip on the can opener.     Cadet--a nail file isn't going to get you out of a bind, it's not a real file.   Electrician, a nice tool, but again, you haven't got anything to handle Phillips.  The sheepsfoot wire skinning blade has uses outside of electrician work, but a very important tool to me is having something to handle Phillips. If you've got a bit set, that's not a problem.  Plus, opening cans with the blade isn't recommended.

hr Offline styx

Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 09:48:38 PM
Pioneer has been one of the stronger workhorses in my EDC rotation. Would like to try an Electrician though for me that can opener / small screwdriver comes in handy very often
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 10:22:39 PM
+1...the best of both worlds, although I do like that hawks bill blade on the Electrician.

I would go for a Farmer but since it wasn't on the list I voted Pioneer   :tu:
Barry

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 01:21:31 AM
I have admired the look and narrow profile of the various Alox SAKs. I was partial to the Pioneer due to the awl but it wasn't until I saw a picture of the Pioneer X that I was spurred into action (I think I set a personal speed record for ordering from Amazon).  So far, I am really impressed!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 01:46:08 AM
All of the above is good info based on users experiences.

Using simple logic, you should get all three.
The Cadet, because of the color, may not always be available in that scheme.
The Pioneer, it is a all around utility SAK in a two layer package.
The Electrician with the special hawk blade provides a added option not on other SAKs.

I have all three plus others, the Dark Grey Pioneer sees the most carry time.
The Electrician in Silver saw carry time until the Pioneer arrived, it now relaxes until weekend time.
My two Cadets, one black, the other silver are still the blister pals, I admire them but a Vagabond sees EDC, in the small package, otherwise I may open for summer carry rotation when I select the color, unless I find one in electric blue or purple. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:52:24 AM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 02:19:36 AM
I chose Cadet because the color  :D 8)  :like:

but we all know the real answer is ......................... "QUITE SCREWIN' 'ROUND & GET 'EM ALL" 8)  :D :whistle:

I use/rotate & like all 3 in my EDC routine.  :cheers:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 09:06:20 PM
Voted Pioneer, but the Pioneer X has dethroned my long-carried Pioneer.

If the Electrician came with a key ring I would have liked it so much more. I need a key ring to dangle a SAK in pocket.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 09:11:21 PM
Voted Pioneer, but the Pioneer X has dethroned my long-carried Pioneer.

If the Electrician came with a key ring I would have liked it so much more. I need a key ring to dangle a SAK in pocket.
Ever think of a pocket sheath or pocket caddy type deal? Works great and sometimes adds even an option to carry a pen or light alongside!  :tu:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 01:36:25 PM
To me, the Pioneer offers the most utility, that's why I EDC one (paired with a Rambler).
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 09:52:10 PM
To me, the Pioneer offers the most utility, that's why I EDC one (paired with a Rambler).

:like:

I've settled in to a Pioneer/Manager combo which I enjoy very much but every once in a while I miss the full size scissors... So, sometimes halfway through the day I reach for a Climber or Compact.

Up to this point, I have not owned an Electrician or Cadet but I have one of each on the way so we'll see how that turns out.  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 10:04:32 PM

:like:

I've settled in to a Pioneer/Manager combo which I enjoy very much but every once in a while I miss the full size scissors... So, sometimes halfway through the day I reach for a Climber or Compact.

Up to this point, I have not owned an Electrician or Cadet but I have one of each on the way so we'll see how that turns out.  :cheers:

Cadet paired with a Classic suits me well. And in purple? Rude not too
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56