Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK = Security Blanket

Danjo · 33 · 1727

us Offline Danjo

SAK = Security Blanket
on: January 17, 2017, 07:10:43 AM
One thing I've discovered about myself is that I feel naked without an SAK in my pocket. I feel under-prepared to face the day. It's like forgetting my wallet or cellphone (mobile to you Brits). Even if it's a day I don't use it for anything, just having it in my pocket is reassuring, like an infant with his security blanket. Not sure how normal or common this feeling is, but I thought I'd ask: do you feel dressed without an SAK?
IMG_20170116_221020.jpg
* IMG_20170116_221020.jpg (Filesize: 208.11 KB)
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

de Offline Shuya

Re: SAK = Security Blanket
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 08:48:41 AM
Same here. Ive been carrying a pocket knife since I was old enough to have my own.
Most of the time it was a SAK or some sort of Knockoff. Then there was the tacticool-phase where I usually carried a one hand folder plus a SAK or MT.
The only day I have not been carrying a pocket knife in the last 15 years was a 1 day buisiness trip with only hand baggage. No chance to take a knife with you.
Felt sooo naked.
Yep, thats the word. Without a Knife in my pocket I feel naked. My GF never asks me IF I have a knife with me - she asks if she can have it (when she forgot to take her own with her since I gave her several).

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 09:15:58 AM
I too feel naked without a SAK in my pocket... just doesn't feel right... Minimum carry is the minichamp on keys... add a SAK, then it gets better...

Imagine taking a plane to somewhere and worrying all the time whether my SAKS are safe in the checked-in luggage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 10:42:36 AM
Security blanket is an apt phrase! I totally identify with that. Always have one on me (even at job interviews and places I shouldn't really have one) - I feel incomplete otherwise.

SI today:
WP_20170112_003 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:09:10 PM
Well, I can't say that it's normal...
But I can tell you that I fully recognise the feeling.

I'd rather forget my cellphone than my SAK to be honest.
My knife has been on me for over 20 years, it's like an extension of my body and mind. I don't feel whole without it.
I'm at the point where I do take my socks off but leave my SAK on...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:10:15 PM by Mactire404 »
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:37:31 PM
One thing I've discovered about myself is that I feel naked without an SAK in my pocket. I feel under-prepared to face the day. It's like forgetting my wallet or cellphone (mobile to you Brits). Even if it's a day I don't use it for anything, just having it in my pocket is reassuring, like an infant with his security blanket. Not sure how normal or common this feeling is, but I thought I'd ask: do you feel dressed without an SAK?

SAME

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:54:23 PM
Working in garden maintenance, I habitually cut, hack, saw and slash my way through the day. Funny thing is, I keep carrying some tools outside working hours. I do feel naked without them, but not in a security blanket kind of way. Pocket knives that are used daily at work tend to be more than just tools, they become personal friends and it's hard to leave them at home at other times.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 01:05:19 PM
All of the above,  plus the soothing/distracting aspect of opening and closing the tools, feeling the snap. This of course can frighten lame non-fans of SAKs, but usually a 58mm SAK is accebtible.

My personality is extremely hermitty, introverted, antisocial, awkward, nervous and I like to be able to at least feel the knife in my pocket if I can't take it out when I'm around other humans. And have to say things to them. Luckily this is very rare.

And if I have to pass time, there are endless 'poses' you can put a SAK into to take photos. And all angles are interesting.

:cheers:
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 01:07:58 PM
All of the above,  plus the soothing/distracting aspect of opening and closing the tools, feeling the snap. This of course can frighten lame non-fans of SAKs, but usually a 58mm SAK is accebtible.

My personality is extremely hermitty, introverted, antisocial, awkward, nervous and I like to be able to at least feel the knife in my pocket if I can't take it out when I'm around other humans. And have to say things to them. Luckily this is very rare.

And if I have to pass time, there are endless 'poses' you can put a SAK into to take photos. And all angles are interesting.

:cheers:
+1 - What's your secret JJ? I have to see people all the time  :facepalm:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 01:36:25 PM
+1!!

SAME
Barry

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 02:22:43 PM
As a former thumb sucker myself, wait, what? That's not what we're confessing to?  :oops:

In all seriousness, I do feel more prepared having a SAK on me.
I have even considered putting a self-address stamped bubble-lined envelope in my carry-on luggage bag as a precaution should I ever forget I have a SAK on me when going through baggage check and hope that some kind TSA agent would mail it back to me since I provided the envelope for them.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 05:01:39 PM
Good morning all!

This topic is a great opportunity for humor but I will resist since it is also an opportunity for reflection. For me, security doesn't seem like the right word since in general, I go through life with a strong sense of security and well-being that is not diminished by the absence of cherished items.  I might be splitting hairs (with my sharp SAK), but I do feel a sense of comfort and enjoyment to have my Explorer in my pocket and reach in my pocket to hold it for a moment at times...well, that rather does sound like a security blanket.  Hmmm...never mind!

:climber:   :rofl:

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 05:23:40 PM
SAK=SECURITY BLANKET=BEING PREPARED=FEELING PREPARED=READY FOR ANYTHING=SAK=SAK=SAK=SAK=SECURITY BLANKET... Etc

You get what i am saying, therefore normal in YOUR situation. Or at least MINE  :tu:

The equal (=) sign in engineering/math is a powerful statement
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:25:22 PM by Marc_in_NS »

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 06:05:47 PM
It's even worse if I forget to wear my watch as well...
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 06:57:08 PM
One thing I've discovered about myself is that I feel naked without an SAK in my pocket. I feel under-prepared to face the day.

The natural human desire is to control his environment.  We do that in a variety of ways - with stored food, money in the pocket, knives, lights, guns and SAKs.  Its what separates us from the badger, who has no pockets.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 07:14:18 PM
I recognize the feeling as well. A SAK is simply part of being dressed.

us Offline Danjo

Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 07:31:03 PM
One thing I've discovered about myself is that I feel naked without an SAK in my pocket. I feel under-prepared to face the day.

The natural human desire is to control his environment.  We do that in a variety of ways - with stored food, money in the pocket, knives, lights, guns and SAKs.  Its what separates us from the badger, who has no pockets.

(Image removed from quote.)

Yep, and we're tool-making/using creatures as well. It's what makes us "King of the Beasts" rather than the lion or elephant. So having tools on us equals security. Great responses everyone! Glad to see I'm not alone, even if I'm not "normal" by societal standards.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 07:47:39 PM
This is a very timely post for me.

I just returned from a 3.000 mile round trip drive from Texas to Maryland. We moved to Texas a year and three moths ago, I drove home to visits some friends and family. The better half flew, I took my truck. I detest the airlines and refuse to give them any money if avoidable.

I left home on the morning of the 4th of January with a SAK in my pocket. I didn't bother to carry any other pocket knife with me. Not even one of my much loved Opinels. It's simply this; since 1969 when I bought my very first SAK, I've yet to find another pocket knife that has the versatility and outright real world usefulness of a SAK. I can't count the number times my SAK has fixed a Vespa motor scooter in the middle of nowhere, a boat motor out at the far end of a very long and winding lake, countless things around the home, and while on vacation. Bottles and cans opened camping out. From Tarpon fishing in Key West to rafting on the Rogue River in Oregon, a SAK has proven itself to me time and time over any other mere knife.

I carried other knives in earlier years of my life, but every time I did, I needed a screw driver, or can opener, or tweezers, or something that my Buck stockman or Opinel didn't have on it.

I'd rather go out tyne door without my cell phone than my SAK.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:24:07 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Danjo

Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 07:56:16 PM
This is a very timely post for me.

I just returned from a 3.000 mile round trip drive from Tecxas to Maryland. We moved to Texas a year and three moths ago, I drove home to visits some friends and family. The better half flew, I took my truck. I detest the airlines and refuse to give them any money of avoidable.

I left home on the boring of the 4th of January with a SAK in my pocket. I didn't bother tang any other pocket knife with me. Not even one of ,y much loved Opinels. It's simply this; since 1969 when I bought my very fist SAK, I've yet to find another pocket knife that has the versatility and outright real world usefulness of a SAK. I can't count the number times my SAK has fixed a Vespa motor scooter in the middle of nowhere, a boat motor out at the far end of a very long and winding lake, countless things around the home, and while on vacation. Bottles and cans opened camping out.

I carried other knives in earlier years of my life, but every time I did, I needed a screw driver, or can opener, or tweezers, or something that my Buck stockman or Opinel didn't have on it.

I'd rather go out tyne door without my cell phone than my SAK.

Yes, I feel the same way. I have tried carrying other knives INSTEAD of an SAK, and found the same to be true: Oops, I need this tool, if only I had my SAK with me! NOW, I don't even bother not taking it everywhere. What's more, is that, (Like Shuya said above), people who know me rely on me having one with me too. "Oh, ask Dan. His knife has a corkscrew/scissors/screwdriver on it!"

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 08:33:03 PM
What, where's my sak? Ahhh :ahhh I had to go to court and of course couldn't take it with me, not even the little one on the keychain! Omg it's like being naked, let alone being in the hospital without a watch or sak, but at least that I can say I was naked, with a huge draft up the back side, brr..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 09:27:46 PM
It's even worse if I forget to wear my watch as well...

Oh yes, this too  :facepalm:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 09:49:36 PM
 :SAKnight: A day without a SAK is possible, but senseless!  :SAKnight:

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 10:55:25 PM
I was hurried out of the house the other day and forgot all of my knives.  No SAK, no single blade folder, and no multitool.  I was very uncomfortable for a  few hours until I could get home again.  I found myself in a cold sweat thinking what am I going to do if have to cut something or tighten something? :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Offline holygoat

Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 02:37:57 AM
Several times I've Amazon Primed myself a SAK to the hotel when I travel for work. Makes my coworkers look confused when I check in and tell the front desk that there's a package waiting for me, then claw it open and slip a Climber in my pocket.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 09:20:44 AM
Several times I've Amazon Primed myself a SAK to the hotel when I travel for work. Makes my coworkers look confused when I check in and tell the front desk that there's a package waiting for me, then claw it open and slip a Climber in my pocket.

:like:
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline docfossil

Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 01:58:22 PM
I like this thread; however, I don't look at my SAK as a security blanket. Embracing the Scouting motto "Be Prepared", this is what my SAK helps me to accomplish - and has so for almost 50 years. Thankfully, I remember carrying my knife when in high school, on airplanes, in government office buildings, etc. Life was quite different pre 9/11.

Now if I fly, my SAK is in my checked luggage. Once, when only taking a carry on bag, I settled for my Swisscard without the knife blade - at least I still had a screwdriver, nail file, tweezers, toothpick, and scissors. The only time I am separated from my SAK is when I am in a government building or when flying.

As others have mentioned, folks often come to me to borrow the knife to accomplish some task at work. Though thety may rib me about carrying a SAK, they don't hesitate to borrow it when necessary.  :tu:  This has been the case since my college days when they sought me out to open some wine bottles at a Friday afternoon wine and cheese party. They remembered the wine but not the corkscrew.

So, being prepared means having a SAK within arms reach....also with my watch, flashlight, and yes, a cell phone. ;)
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 02:42:00 PM
Not carrying a cell phone is a privilege, not a problem...

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 02:47:51 PM
A security blanket with sharp parts and screwy parts and awly parts and tweezery parts... The best kind of security blanket there can be!  :climber:

:rofl:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 05:44:11 PM
I like this thread; however, I don't look at my SAK as a security blanket. Embracing the Scouting motto "Be Prepared", this is what my SAK helps me to accomplish - and has so for almost 50 years. Thankfully, I remember carrying my knife when in high school, on airplanes, in government office buildings, etc. Life was quite different pre 9/11.

Now if I fly, my SAK is in my checked luggage. Once, when only taking a carry on bag, I settled for my Swisscard without the knife blade - at least I still had a screwdriver, nail file, tweezers, toothpick, and scissors. The only time I am separated from my SAK is when I am in a government building or when flying.

As others have mentioned, folks often come to me to borrow the knife to accomplish some task at work. Though thety may rib me about carrying a SAK, they don't hesitate to borrow it when necessary.  :tu:  This has been the case since my college days when they sought me out to open some wine bottles at a Friday afternoon wine and cheese party. They remembered the wine but not the corkscrew.

So, being prepared means having a SAK within arms reach....also with my watch, flashlight, and yes, a cell phone. ;)

:salute:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 04:53:12 AM

duh
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%