Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

We don't need no stinking requirements!

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
We don't need no stinking requirements!
on: January 18, 2017, 07:39:14 AM
One of the more quoted lines from western movies, is "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"  I thought of this hilarious line after thinking about the buying decisions I make, particularly some recent SAK purchases.

Prior to retirement, I spent decades managing information technology and am thoroughly familiar with the process of determining and meeting customer requirements.  Despite my familiarity with developing requirements and matching them to solutions, my buying decisions are usually not based on requirements.  They are based on my wants and frequently involve features and functions that I may never use.  I like having my SAK explorer handy to open letters, plastic mailers covered with packing tape and various sized boxes, usually from Amazon.  I use the can opener to quickly remove seals from prescription bottles. I use the magnifier to read tiny print.  I could continue with a list of things I do with my SAK but to summarize, the tools I use most are the knives, scissors, drivers (can/bottle openers & philips) and magnifier.  The Explorer SAK more than matches my requirements and a single purchase would meet these requirements.  So why am I buying multiple Swiss Champs and Cyber Tools?  Because I want them!
Also, because they contribute to my SAK enjoyment in ways that I find difficult to put into words.  Even though I don't use all of my SAKs, each one serves to enrich my SAK enjoyment.

Requirements?  I (and I suspect we) don't need no stinking requirements!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: We don't need no stinking requirements!
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:38:49 AM
But in MTO, we like getting badges... Merit Badges, that is... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:53:44 AM

I don't need no stinking those-type-of-badges!  :)

-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:56:02 AM

I don't need no stinking those-type-of-badges!  :)
:facepalm:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 11:15:51 AM
I do try to match my SAKs with my requirements. Most have a saw and lack pliers and scissors (for scissors I'm using a 58mm model). This doesn't stop me from getting more SAKs however.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 01:15:37 PM
My mood and whether I think something looks cool are perfectly legitimate requirements. ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 06:43:41 PM
I've bought all my SAKs on the second hand market.  I also find a few at the flea market.  Why I buy some vs others  :think:.

I think the main thing is curiosity.  If I have not handled a particular model or model with a particular tool then I want it.  I got the Cybertools and Altimeter for those very reasons. 

I got the Explorer like many for the mag glass. 

Swisschamp was bought (6 times) because its awesome. 

The reason is SAK enjoyment which is the only requirement ever needed for me  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 07:18:26 PM
I buy SAKs that I don't need and will never use while also wanting more stinking badges......

I, am a collector.    ::)

:think:

:facepalm:

:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 07:40:02 AM
I'm a collector. Most of my SAKs will never be used. My requirements are: do I have it; what condition is it; is it reasonably priced?

As for badges I'm an Eagle SAK, with 21 MT badges.   :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:06:48 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 08:11:30 PM
One of the more quoted lines from western movies, is "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"  I thought of this hilarious line after thinking about the buying decisions I make, particularly some recent SAK purchases.

Prior to retirement, I spent decades managing information technology and am thoroughly familiar with the process of determining and meeting customer requirements.  Despite my familiarity with developing requirements and matching them to solutions, my buying decisions are usually not based on requirements.  They are based on my wants and frequently involve features and functions that I may never use.  I like having my SAK explorer handy to open letters, plastic mailers covered with packing tape and various sized boxes, usually from Amazon.  I use the can opener to quickly remove seals from prescription bottles. I use the magnifier to read tiny print.  I could continue with a list of things I do with my SAK but to summarize, the tools I use most are the knives, scissors, drivers (can/bottle openers & philips) and magnifier.  The Explorer SAK more than matches my requirements and a single purchase would meet these requirements.  So why am I buying multiple Swiss Champs and Cyber Tools?  Because I want them!
Also, because they contribute to my SAK enjoyment in ways that I find difficult to put into words.  Even though I don't use all of my SAKs, each one serves to enrich my SAK enjoyment.

Requirements?  I (and I suspect we) don't need no stinking requirements!

I would have to agree with the line " Even though I don't use all of my SAKs, each one serves to enrich my SAK enjoyment."

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 09:01:33 PM
As time goes by i feel that, while I don't exactly need "requirements" I'm no longer buying sak's just for the sake of having them. I use all of my sak's, granted not with the same frequence as each other, but I use all of them (except new duplicates stored for backup purpose).
I'm pretty happy these days for edc with just either a Tinker or a Spartan ( or the 84mm equivalents) and a alox classic on my keychain.

O could have gotten any sak I liked from my wife for my b-day for example, I dont have an explorer, champ, deluxe tinker, fieldmaster and a lot of other. Guess what I chosen... Another Spartan, since I only have one and wanted a backup just in case. I dont edc large sak's anymore, so why the hell would l spend or let my wife spend money on something I would almost never use just for the sake of having one? I just moved on from that, I really do not have the "collectors" mind-set
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 09:03:08 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 10:56:24 PM
As time goes by i feel that, while I don't exactly need "requirements" I'm no longer buying sak's just for the sake of having them. I use all of my sak's, granted not with the same frequence as each other, but I use all of them (except new duplicates stored for backup purpose).
I'm pretty happy these days for edc with just either a Tinker or a Spartan ( or the 84mm equivalents) and a alox classic on my keychain.

O could have gotten any sak I liked from my wife for my b-day for example, I dont have an explorer, champ, deluxe tinker, fieldmaster and a lot of other. Guess what I chosen... Another Spartan, since I only have one and wanted a backup just in case. I dont edc large sak's anymore, so why the hell would l spend or let my wife spend money on something I would almost never use just for the sake of having one? I just moved on from that, I really do not have the "collectors" mind-set

I very much enjoyed having the Tinker as my EDC SAK.  Since I regularly have the need for scissors, I purchased a Super Tinker (followed quickly by more Super Tinkers). In the interest of a lower profile, I tried carrying a Compact but missed the philips driver. When I discovered that there was a model that had everything I wanted plus an inline philips driver and a magnifier, I bought two from Amazon, one with red and the other with black scales. The Explorer has been a perfect fit for me and has become my EDC choice.

The SAK models that you have chosen meet your needs and if I think about it, the Explorer is probably the only SAK that I need.  I am not interested in building a large collection of SAKs and think of myself more as an enthusiast instead of a collector.  I definitely admire the vintage SAKs with bail and exposed rivets but am content to admire the photos for the present.  Despite the fact that my "Requirements" are met by the Explorer (my choice if I could have only one SAK), I have a strong attachment to the Tinker and Super Tinker (even purchased a Deluxe Tinker).  So why was it so important for me to acquire multiple Swiss Champs, a Champion, Cyber Tools, Pioneer X and various other models?  I couldn't adequately answer that question and decided to introduce this topic to see what others had to say.  The closest that I can come to answering this question is to acknowledge that having all of these SAKs definitely enriches my SAK experience even if some are never used.  Perhaps these two emoticons say it best:

:mail:      :climber:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:59:25 PM by NorCalJim »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 11:40:16 PM

I very much enjoyed having the Tinker as my EDC SAK.  Since I regularly have the need for scissors, I purchased a Super Tinker (followed quickly by more Super Tinkers). In the interest of a lower profile, I tried carrying a Compact but missed the philips driver. When I discovered that there was a model that had everything I wanted plus an inline philips driver and a magnifier, I bought two from Amazon, one with red and the other with black scales. The Explorer has been a perfect fit for me and has become my EDC choice.

The SAK models that you have chosen meet your needs and if I think about it, the Explorer is probably the only SAK that I need.  I am not interested in building a large collection of SAKs and think of myself more as an enthusiast instead of a collector.  I definitely admire the vintage SAKs with bail and exposed rivets but am content to admire the photos for the present.  Despite the fact that my "Requirements" are met by the Explorer (my choice if I could have only one SAK), I have a strong attachment to the Tinker and Super Tinker (even purchased a Deluxe Tinker).  So why was it so important for me to acquire multiple Swiss Champs, a Champion, Cyber Tools, Pioneer X and various other models?  I couldn't adequately answer that question and decided to introduce this topic to see what others had to say.  The closest that I can come to answering this question is to acknowledge that having all of these SAKs definitely enriches my SAK experience even if some are never used.  Perhaps these two emoticons say it best:

:mail:      :climber:

+1 on your experience on buying SAKs. I carry a fairly beat up old Spartan but I've bought and tried many other models, maybe to see if I'm missing something?

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 06:13:14 PM
Uhm... there's a Spartan in my pocket right now, as is the case most days. I have a collection of different kinds of SAKs. So...at least you're not alone.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 06:24:44 PM
Enjoying everyone's responses.  I don't really have any requirements but of the 50+ SAKs I own only 2 are more than 3 layers.

Uhm... there's a Spartan...

Ditto  :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:26:58 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 12:36:27 AM
I like screwdrivers on my SAKs, I've always wanted to try a Cybertool 29, perfect looking size to me!
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 06:28:36 AM
I like screwdrivers on my SAKs, I've always wanted to try a Cybertool 29, perfect looking size to me!

The CT-29 is a great example of a SAK that is superfluous to my requirements.  I haven't used the driver yet but have been carrying it as a 2nd SAK (Explorer is my first) since I got it.  If you don't need scissors and could use the driver, then it should be a great fit for you.

:climber:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD