Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose my first SAK!

Offline Vateriel

• New User
Help me choose my first SAK!
on: January 18, 2017, 11:04:23 AM
Hi everyone!

I’m new around here and happy to finally open my first topic.

I’ve been reading many posts lately.
Since you are the ones who know the most about SAKs, I’m sure I’ll get this solved.

I’m currently looking for The EDC SAK. What I mean by this is, while I love gadgets, I tend to just buy one of each. Thus, I want to make sure I buy the correct one.

Aside from gathering information from this board, I’ve been looking around on Victorinox’s website, as well as creating a never ending (and most confusing) Amazon wish list.

However, as it always happens, there seems to be a few models I like the most:
- Victorinox Wenger Evolution S557
- Victorinox Cybertool 41 and 34
- Victorinox Swisschamp
- Victorinox Skipper (mostly for the looks ^^’)
- The large Victorinox like the Hunter, Outrider, etc. (but I’m not sure about these, since they look too damn big for EDC, and “dangerous” for city dwelling use)

Anyway, these are the basic tools I guess I need:
- Blade
- Bottle opener
- Corkscrew
- Can opener
- Scissors
Here the ones I would appreciate:
- Screwdrivers: they are all welcome. And here is where Cybertool seems to outperform the others. But I guess I will mostly use Philips or Flathead screws.
- Pliers: they look cool. Now, I really don’t know if they are really useful.

And here the “upgrades”:
- Wavy or serrated blades: are they worth it for everyday use? I will mostly use the blade for fruits and other food. Maybe to cut flowers?
- Wenger scissors and pliers: the mechanism just looks better than Victorinox’s “spring”. Does it also work better? The slip-joint pliers also seem like a better option.
And just a few questions ^^:
- What do you use your pliers for?
- Is it easy for the bits to fall from the Cybertool?
- Do some colors age different?
- Is it worth buying a pouch? I would carry the SAK in my pocket or (mostly) in a bag. I bought a small Victorinox Classic as a present, and it came wirh a small and simple pouch (though useful).

I guess it is also important to say I cannot prevent myself from babying my tools/gadgets/pens, etc… I like stuff to look good :)

I’m sorry for this long post... I really like to be specific :D
And thank you in advance

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:26:23 AM by Vateriel »

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: Help me choosemy first SAK!
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:12:29 AM
With this wishlist: Cybertool 34 :salute:

You'll have everything you need in a not too big/clunky knife :tu:

The bits don't fall out easy. No pouch needed.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Re: Help me choosemy first SAK!
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:25:15 AM
- Wavy or serrated blades: are they worth it for everyday use?

For rope, emergency seatbelt cutting, things like that they are cool. They're also pretty rare on 91mm/84mm Victorinox and new 85mm Victorinox Wenger...but I see them alot on older used Wengers.

Maybe to cut flowers?

Maybe on tough vines or roots. They're not really a precision/surgical type blade

- Wenger scissors and pliers: the mechanism just looks better than Victorinox’s “spring”. Does it also work better?

You'll never have to replace the spring but the big drawback is that the scissors move in relation to the handle when you squeeze them. The Victorinox ones don't,  and are therefore often thought of as more precise. The Wenger scissors have little teeth along the edge which makes them better for cutting some things. I very much prefer the Victorinox scissors though. I find that the screw on the Wengers works its way out. I'm often tightening it.  The older Vic scissors also had a screw but I have less problems with them.

What do you use your pliers for?

Fine work like nuts around audio connectors or eyeglass hinges and jewelery, to hold something hot like if you're heating a pin with a lighter. They also have a wire cutting notch that works on most smaller wire and guitar strings.

Is it easy for the bits to fall from the Cybertool?

I haven't had any problems

Do some colors age different?

The sapphire (clear blue) tends to get lighter and the onyx (clear black/smoke) turns into more of a brown.  I like the faded look though.

Is it worth buying a pouch?

If you get one small enough for pocket carry you might not need it. But with any of the larger ones it not only prevents scratches but keeps the noise down if it's loose in your bag. I have a pouch by Rainbow of California that was cheap and works well. Also pouches for other multi tools often fit.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:27:49 AM by JamesJ »
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

fi Offline Padre

Re: Help me choose my first SAK!
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 01:02:17 PM
As usual I would recommend as small tool as you can get as an EDC. Swisschamps and such sure look like a real toolbox, but usually after a while you stop carrying them as they are heavy and large. How often you need fish scaler or magnifying glass?

The smallest CyberTool got everything you mentioned but not the pliers, and never get SAK if you need pliers 100%. It is expensive but really good.

Also check out Compact. It has the highest tool density, slim but with scissors.

Climber might fit your needs too.

Wenger scissors arent as good as Victorinox ones.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 01:11:52 PM
CT41. Same size as a Swiss Champ but you ditch the mag and fish scaler for the cyber tool layer. You can use the CT41 for fixing computers to camping. You can damn near fabricobble your way out of anything.
Best of luck on your quest and welcome to MTO.
Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 02:09:39 PM
What Nate said.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 05:23:45 PM
The Victorinox CT 34 most closely matches your requirements but I agree with Padre that if your are going to EDC this, then smaller is better.  If you know someone with samples of different layered SAKs, then you could try out different layered SAKs to see what works.

Starting with 91mm two layer SAKs, the Compact packs the most in a small package and most closely fits your needs.  It features Plus scales that adds a pen to the tweezers and tooth pick.

The CT 29 is a three layer SAK but doesn't have scissors or pliers.  I find scissors a must these days.  Unless you have some specific light-duty ideas for the pliers, a similar sized but denser and heavier Leatherman like the Juice S2 will provide vastly superior pliers at 4.4 oz.

I favor the four layer Explorer that gives me a magnifier and an in-line philips to go with a great tool set that includes scissors.  Four layers is pushing it from an EDC standpoint.  I'm 6' 7" and around 250 lbs. and don't really feel the Explorer in my pocket.

I think most experienced SAK users will advise you to go as compact as possible for EDC.  If you choose something that is too chunky, there is a very high likelihood that you will stop carrying it.

Good luck!

Jim

P.S., Since the CT 34 & CT 41 had been suggested in other posts, I should mention that the CT 34 is a 5 layer SAK and the CT 41 is a 7 layer SAK (the Swiss Champ is also a 7 layer SAK).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:24:35 PM by NorCalJim »

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 05:39:24 PM
I would agree with the folks recommending a slimmer knife for your first SAK.  I would suggest a Climber, 3-layer, scissors, blades, corkscrew, opener layer (which double as flat and phillips driver).  I say this because a) The slimmer one will be carried more, and you'll be able to see firsthand which tools you feel are lacking, and b) you'll very likely end up buying a second one regardless of what you buy first.  If you only want to keep one at a time, the Climber would be a more universal gift to pass your old one along :)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 06:10:18 PM
I would agree with the folks recommending a slimmer knife for your first SAK.  I would suggest a Climber, 3-layer, scissors, blades, corkscrew, opener layer (which double as flat and phillips driver).  I say this because a) The slimmer one will be carried more, and you'll be able to see firsthand which tools you feel are lacking, and b) you'll very likely end up buying a second one regardless of what you buy first.  If you only want to keep one at a time, the Climber would be a more universal gift to pass your old one along :)

+1, on this but I have another idea as well. Try to get your hands on a cheap beater SwissChamp, try it for a few weeks then consider if you can live with the size and what tools you actually use. It's surprisingly hard to anticipate what tools you are going to use since they have a tendency to work for things you didn't consider while some might not deliver exactly what you want them to.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 06:30:18 PM
From what your requirements or wants are, I would go with the CT34 or the Swisschamp. 

Either one of these are a bit big to just pocket carry but a sheath or a TEC suspension clip carry works good.  I carried a Swisschamp in my front pocket using a suspension clip and it was not a problem at all as it just rides along the side seam of the pocket.

The plier's are basically super tweezers but will work fine for what you stated that you would use them for and other smaller tasks.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 07:32:21 PM
Everybody had food, logical points. But I'm remembering you said you like screwdrivers. So instead of climber, maybe Super Tinker. Depends if you want phillips or miniature flat screwdriver tucked into the corkscrew.

Ya know honestly what would be a good one for compact EDC but with the nice in-line phillips is the yeoman. Its popular around here, though not easy to find.
-JJL

mk Offline Deedee

Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 08:30:06 PM
I would suggest one model that is not in your list. Ranger is very good for your first SAK. It is not as expensive as swisschamp, not too big for pocket carry, but it has all basic tools. The metal saw (file) is very useful.
Currently i don't have this one, but i will buy one for shore.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 08:41:11 PM
Are you sure you want such a thick knife as EDC? More than three or four layers are not really handy.
From your selection the CT34. You might also like the Deluxe Tinker.
By the way; The Compact has all your basic tools in only two layers.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

Offline Vateriel

• New User
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 10:20:07 PM
Thank you so much for all the answers.

You have a point about the SAK's thickness.
I will try to locate a physical seller and test them.

The CT 34 looks like a very good option.
Same price as the Swisschamp however. And I wouldn't miss the wood saw, but the nail file would be useful.

You know, a few days ago I was looking at the basic ones, but then started mentally adding possible tools and here I am.  :ahhh

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 10:26:31 PM

Same price as the Swisschamp however. And I wouldn't miss the wood saw, but the nail file would be useful.

You know, a few days ago I was looking at the basic ones, but then started mentally adding possible tools and here I am.  :ahhh

That's almost always the case, the problem is that it gets bulky and then you'll start going the other way. If I remove this and that...

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 10:34:28 PM

That's almost always the case, the problem is that it gets bulky and then you'll start going the other way. If I remove this and that...
^----No lie.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 11:02:49 PM
I have yet. Still like the big models. But that's me.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 11:23:30 PM
I would suggest one model that is not in your list. Ranger is very good for your first SAK. It is not as expensive as swisschamp, not too big for pocket carry, but it has all basic tools. The metal saw (file) is very useful.
Currently i don't have this one, but i will buy one for shore.

The Ranger packs quite a lot of function in 5 layers!  Although it is function rich, it is still 5 layers and pretty chunky for pocket carry.  A belt pouch or suspension clip would probably be best for a Ranger EDC.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 11:37:40 PM
It doesn't really matter which SAK you choose. Buy one and you're hooked. The best thing to do is get the hell out of here; otherwise accept the fact that you'll want them all.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 02:18:31 AM
Super Tinker gets my vote. I'm a fan of the 111 mm line myself.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 02:27:40 AM
check out the champion plus, cuts down on the size of swisschamp and has many of the same tools, minus stuff you wont need like the fish scaler.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 03:13:11 AM
but the nail file would be useful.

Be aware that in 2005 they switched to a much more aggressive metal file. It's a drastic improvement if you're using it to file wood, plastic or metal and have to remove a lot of material...but despite the nail cleaner tip, it is NOT good on fingernails...it would rip right through them and into your finger tips. Still there are plenty of used SAKs out there with the pre-2005 file on them.

True nail files can be found on the Compact (small surface on the back of the hook) and on 84mm knives like the Sportsman. Most people seem to just carry a Classic or other 58mm knife on their keys for the nail file.

Just a warning before you file your fingers off  :)
-JJL

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 08:14:35 AM

Buy a big one and a compact one  :D
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 08:51:38 AM

That's actually not bad advice
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 09:44:12 AM

That's actually not bad advice

That's actually very good advice, I just edc my tinker and a classic on my keys and never feel under equipped for regular urban edc. I can use all the hex screw bit drivers i want with the bottle opener or can opener. Don't really realisticly have the need to carry pliers on me all the time, same for full sized scissors. And use the classic for nail file and small scissors, even the mini blade for very small cutting jobs.
Being an enthusiastic tinker myself I couldn't get along with the compact and the combo tool, its not sturdy enough to confidently be used as a driver, and you also loose the can opener that can be used in so manny different ways...
It's up to you to do some soul searching on all of this and decide what better suits your needs :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:46:25 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Offline Vateriel

• New User
Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 01:53:30 PM
So after reading your thoughts and glancing through the whole Victorinox catalog, I ended up ordering a more "pocket" sak. Which by the way seems to have its own emoticon  :climber:

That's right, the Climber  :D
I chose my favorite color, Sapphire Blue, and added a mini screwdriver and a pretty useful keyring, also by Victorinox, which allows to secure the sak while holding it straight in your pocket.

I decided that, while Cybertools and the like look really cool, I wouldn't be needing most of their tools for edc. Who knows if I'll end up buying them later  ::)

Thank you a lot for your answers, which helped make my mind up. I'll stick around ;)

A few pics:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 06:21:15 PM
Congrats on your first SAK purchase.  You will find the Climber to be a very handy edc knife and you will find it very easy to carry.  Once you get it and see and feel the quality of it you will be hooked on SAKS for life. You won't want to be without one once you have used one daily.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF SAKS!!!!!!!!

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 07:11:31 AM
Now all you need is a Minichamp or Manager for keychain duty, then a Swisstool for tougher task.
Add a flashlight to the mix and your all set.

After getting the Swisstool Spirit I stopped buying SAKs...it's that good.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:13:45 AM by Fattsgalore »

00 Offline FA Tre

Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 09:08:23 PM
Based on the essential tools you want, there's actually a model that has all of those - the Compact

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #29 on: February 05, 2017, 12:15:53 PM
...I’m currently looking for The EDC SAK. What I mean by this is, while I love gadgets, I tend to just buy one of each. Thus, I want to make sure I buy the correct one...

There are a lot of SAKs to choose from, and it's hard to advice a knife. I started with one and ended up with several knives. Depending on the situation I change my carry.
I'll try to answer your questions:

Anyway, these are the basic tools I guess I need: - Blade - Bottle opener - Corkscrew - Can opener - Scissors
Looks like the Climber is a great place to start. With the Scissors comes the hook. It's usefullness is debated but I find it invaluable at times. Also, some models have a nailfile on the back of the hook.

Here the ones I would appreciate:
- Screwdrivers: they are all welcome. And here is where Cybertool seems to outperform the others. But I guess I will mostly use Philips or Flathead screws.
- Pliers: they look cool. Now, I really don’t know if they are really useful.
The CyberTool 29 is basically a Climber with Bit Driver and Bit Holder.I find them greatly beneficial at work. The CyberTool 34 adds a pair of scissors and pliers at the cost of becoming beefier. I personally don't mind, but if you carry it in a bag it's not an issue at all.
The pliers are wonderfull. I use them for a plethoria of things. It also has a wire cutter which I find usefull. Wheter you should get one depends on your daily requirements.

And here the “upgrades”:
- Wavy or serrated blades: are they worth it for everyday use? I will mostly use the blade for fruits and other food. Maybe to cut flowers?
- Wenger scissors and pliers: the mechanism just looks better than Victorinox’s “spring”. Does it also work better? The slip-joint pliers also seem like a better option.
And just a few questions ^^:
- What do you use your pliers for?
- Is it easy for the bits to fall from the Cybertool?
- Do some colors age different?
- Is it worth buying a pouch? I would carry the SAK in my pocket or (mostly) in a bag. I bought a small Victorinox Classic as a present, and it came wirh a small and simple pouch (though useful).

That's a lot of questions!
- Wavy/serrated blades: I only have an serrated edge on my soldier knives and they are crazy sharp. You can use them for peeling fruit. Personally, I don't see much added value as they are harder to sharpen. If you cut a lot of thick rope they will work wonders.
- Plier use: Tightning bolts, pulling things, bending things, grabbing things if the tweezers aren't long/strong enough, cutting wire and holding things above the fire.
- Cybertool bits: They won't fall from the bitdriver, they have a little tension ball that keeps them locked in place. That ball also grabs the bit holder. They won't fall out.
- A pouch? Perhaps if you put in in a bag with a lot of other things. I carry mine in my pocket. I have a Traveller I carry for work, I'm going to get/make a pouch for that to prevent the scales and screen getting scratched up in my bag. I have two belt pouches, a leather one for my Handyman and one for my Soldier knives. Only the latter see any use. If I'm out in the woods I want a knife on my belt for ease of accessibility.

I guess it is also important to say I cannot prevent myself from babying my tools/gadgets/pens, etc… I like stuff to look good :)
Well, you're sacked then! Chanses are you will be getting more than one knife. And that's okay. They are goodlooking tools that have proven their quality. They can be companions for life.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD