Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

raptor vs skeletool rx

Geo · 6 · 2179

Offline Geo

raptor vs skeletool rx
on: January 18, 2017, 08:25:16 PM
I purchased the leatherman raptor sheers and i think they are great!

what are your thoughts on the skeletool for rescuers/emts  (not necessarily rx). Would a skeletool be a good addition to have with me in my kit? I keep my sheers on my belt and i dont really like having a heavy belt but i figured i can throw in a multitool in my personal jump kit.

im also an outdoor person so they wouldnt just be for working as a rescuer/emt.

id appreciate any/all thoughts, opinions and comments.

fi Offline Padre

Re: raptor vs skeletool rx
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:37:19 PM
Sure Skeletool has adequate knife and pliers. I had CX and now have RX, and I have to say CX was better. The RX carbide bit is too hipster to be a serious rescue tool, more like backup in your car.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Offline Geo

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:59 PM
awesome! thanks for the reply

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:06:38 PM
Welcome to :MTO: Geo :cheers: I have a Raptor and I :like: mine :D I really need to get some pics of it up and maybe put some thoughts of it up :think: I only use it around home though :tu:

Offline Geo

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 12:14:29 AM
thanks for the warm welcome.

i really enjoy using my raptor.  My boss often calls me when he needs a nice pair of sheers because he always seems to forget his...and mine are secured to my belt with a shoelace/lanyard  (im not willing to drop them on the field) so where they go i go....

00 Offline Nick762

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 12:59:25 AM
I've had a Raptor for several years now and it's great for cutting the heavy clothing and leather that just turns normal medical shears. I'm not sure about the RX, the tip is a little too pointy in my opinion for cutting anywhere near the body, I've got my Raptor paired with a Spyderco Assist which has a beautifully blunt tip but more to the point, it cuts rope like butter; again, your regular trauma shears make heavy weather of rope - when I got my first pair I was told they could cut a penny in half... I tried and bent the blades!

The only real downside of the Raptor is that it is more difficult to clean after use, sadly I suspect that senior management may well issue a missive forbidding their use due to infection control issues. Regular shears can be binned after one use.
SAKs
Wenger Soldier, Pioneer, Pioneer Farmer, Pioneer X, Classic, Cadet
Climber, Mountaineer, Deluxe Tinker, Ranger, Cybertool 39, Cybertool 41, Fieldmaster, Handyman, Explorer, Soldier, Evogrip 18
Leatherman
OHT, Surge, Skeletool, Freestyle, Squirt and Sideclip
Spyderco
UKPK, Urban Lightweight, Squeak, Squeak Ti, PITS, Mantra, Harpy, Tasman Salt, Rescue 79, Assist, Techno, Civilian, Cliptool Serrated, Paramilitary 2, Ti Dog Tag, ARK H1, Bug, Honeybee and Grasshopper
Fallkniven F1, Mora Garberg, Ka-Bar MK 1

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD