Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Baton Q Series

kaput · 52 · 7251

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
SOG Baton Q Series
on: January 19, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
I'm impressed by the ingenuity and ability to think outside the box while keeping allot of the needed tools most of us EDC for fun/necessity available in these slim form factor tools. I'm definitely going to keep up to date with these and be eager to try them out when released. To me these definitely have the cool wow factor and designed beautifully. They look like they will be fantastic for small light duty usage and fun to carry.

Baton q1-2-3-4 video starts about 5:30 in.

https://youtu.be/ZpnpVzRQ7F0
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:42:18 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Re: SOG Baton Q Series
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:47:14 AM
Screen grabs.
IMG_4070.JPG
* IMG_4070.JPG (Filesize: 155.43 KB)
IMG_4071.JPG
* IMG_4071.JPG (Filesize: 182.83 KB)
IMG_4079.JPG
* IMG_4079.JPG (Filesize: 85.71 KB)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:00:57 AM by kaput »

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:50:30 AM

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:55:04 AM

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:00:09 AM
Screen grabs.
IMG_4077.JPG
* IMG_4077.JPG (Filesize: 60.95 KB)
IMG_4078.JPG
* IMG_4078.JPG (Filesize: 66.91 KB)
IMG_4077.JPG
* IMG_4077.JPG (Filesize: 60.95 KB)
IMG_4078.JPG
* IMG_4078.JPG (Filesize: 66.91 KB)

fi Offline Padre

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 08:22:34 AM
Really like the idea, but in my eyes they look flimsy. How much torque can these pliers on Q3 and Q4 take?

Q1 is pretty big for an pen, opener, scissors, just compare to Manager for example.

Q2 is cute with knife and light... but I tend to avoid tools with electronics in them...
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 12:19:19 PM
I think these are pretty cool IF (and that's a big IF) the quality is there.  I like the hand filling scissors on the Q1, I like the fact it's a AAA light on the Q2, I like the idea of a ratchet screwdriver on the Q4. 

All that said I think of the new SOG offerings I'm more inclined towards the Sync 1.  I've become a fan of compact pliers and these look to be a good size for my taste.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 12:40:17 PM
So cool... great job SOG for innovation, far better than the junk Leatherman and Gerber spewed out (Victorinox didn't even show that).

Now question remains about quality... they did seem a bit flimsy and the tools hard to reach...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 03:57:35 PM
I'm impressed by the ingenuity and ability to think outside the box while keeping allot of the needed tools most of us EDC for fun/necessity available in these slim form factor tools. I'm definitely going to keep up to date with these and be eager to try them out when released. To me these definitely have the cool wow factor and designed beautifully. They look like they will be fantastic for small light duty usage and fun to carry.

These look totally sweet. Seeing them in action (vs. the catalog pictures) really helps.

I think these are pretty cool IF (and that's a big IF) the quality is there.  I like the hand filling scissors on the Q1, I like the fact it's a AAA light on the Q2, I like the idea of a ratchet screwdriver on the Q4.

Very true. SOG's designs have been really cool the last couple years, but complaints about quality have kept me away.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 05:13:13 PM

All that said I think of the new SOG offerings I'm more inclined towards the Sync 1.  I've become a fan of compact pliers and these look to be a good size for my taste.  :tu:
Yeah, Sync 1 FTW.
But I have to say after watching the video, I really want those batons.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 06:49:35 PM

Aren't those Baton tools just better copies of a generic multitool like the Benchmark Pocket Multitool shown previously by Chako

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:30:59 PM by Ombudsman »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 08:40:08 PM
I guess you're right.  Same idea as this type of folding scissor as well.

I'm not so worried about originality myself, but the quality is in question.  It's a shame that's even a concern, I used to have a PPP and, while I think it had it's problems, the quality wasn't one of them.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:02 PM
The Batons don't look as unwieldy as I though they would (unlike the Sync 2, which looks even worse than I thought), and good to see the AAA battery and off the shelf ink cartridges being used. Hellishly expensive for what you get though. To me they look like £5 to £15 petrol station impulse buys, not £50 - £80 premium tools.  :ahhh

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 06:20:36 PM
I guess you're right.  Same idea as this type of folding scissor as well.

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm not so worried about originality myself, but the quality is in question.  It's a shame that's even a concern, I used to have a PPP and, while I think it had it's problems, the quality wasn't one of them.

You're right Gareth ! :D

Instead of "Baton" they should have call them "Slip-N-Pinch"  :rofl:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 08:03:37 AM
Baton 1: $39
Baton 2: $49
Baton 3: $69
Baton 4: $79
"Pretty affordable".  :think:

Yeah, no thanks. Cool designs and all, but they're way too overpriced.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 06:14:44 PM
Baton 1: $39
Baton 2: $49
Baton 3: $69
Baton 4: $79
"Pretty affordable".  :think:

Yeah, no thanks. Cool designs and all, but they're way too overpriced.

I agree. My thoughts, that nobody asked for:
Subtract $20 from that msrp and Baton 1 would sell well.
For $50, Baton 2 better have a damn nice blade and a multi-mode torch - high, low, and strobe being my first thoughts. And it would need to have as high a lumen count as possible, but at least 200 lumens. Actually, that sounds amazing. But looking at that blade and light-output I'm thinking $30-35.
Baton 3 and 4 could pass as a Juice competitor so I think they could sell for $40-50. Maybe that seems low, but two things bother me with these two. 1) All the tools are short - at least the Juice has a long-ish blade, saw, file, scissors. 2) I don't think these larger batons are nearly as carry friendly as even the massive Juice XE6
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 01:43:01 PM
Yes, but....

Those are MSRP, which as we all know is nowhere near street price on these kinds of things.  The Juice S2 has an MSRP of $65 to $69 depending on color.  If you want to compare them by price then you need to compare street price to street price, not street price to MSRP.  You can't say that the Baton at $69 is more expensive than the Juice at $40-50 because that's the going rate on them.  As they are evenly matched on MSRP, there's a good chance they will be evenly matched on street price as well, and possibly better as SOG doesn't have or enforce a MAP policy like Leatherman does- or at least, not one that I know of.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 02:00:42 PM
Those prices aren't MSRP, they're Knife Center's preorder prices. https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=sog%20baton

Model - MSRP - Knife Center
Q1 - $54 - $39.95
Q2 - $67 - $49.95
Q3 - $94 - $69.95
Q4 - $120 - $89.95
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 02:55:46 PM
Those prices aren't MSRP, they're Knife Center's preorder prices. https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=sog%20baton

Q1 - $54 - $39.95
Q2 - $67 - $49.95
Q3 - $94 - $69.95
Q4 - $120 - $89.95

:o

fi Offline Padre

Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 07:10:27 PM
Tell me guys... I mean Q series doesn't appeal to me at all.
They invented opening knives (usually folders like Opinels, SAKs, LMs, Spydercos and so on), TO MAKE THE KNIFE SHORTER.
This tool just cannot handle folding, so basically its a fixed MT. I think this is just a step back to carry sheathed knife.
Sure in some places object shaped like this can be easier to carry around, but for me its not. How are you supposed to be carrying Q4?
Sure Q1 is much smaller, closer to marker. But still. You know that they make really SHORT and powerful flashlights nowadays too, so are even telescopic, just like this MT series should.
To make the tool easier to carry, it should be telescopic, and thats not the case (and how that would even work?). I see that if I would carry a tool like Q3 in my pocket, I would carry it opened.
 >:D
 :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:11:58 PM by Padre »
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 08:28:37 PM

Q1 - $54 - $39.95
Q2 - $67 - $49.95
Q3 - $94 - $69.95
Q4 - $120 - $89.95

Ok, that's a bit different.   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 08:57:09 PM
Tell me guys... I mean Q series doesn't appeal to me at all.
They invented opening knives (usually folders like Opinels, SAKs, LMs, Spydercos and so on), TO MAKE THE KNIFE SHORTER.
This tool just cannot handle folding, so basically its a fixed MT. I think this is just a step back to carry sheathed knife.
Sure in some places object shaped like this can be easier to carry around, but for me its not. How are you supposed to be carrying Q4?
Sure Q1 is much smaller, closer to marker. But still. You know that they make really SHORT and powerful flashlights nowadays too, so are even telescopic, just like this MT series should.
To make the tool easier to carry, it should be telescopic, and thats not the case (and how that would even work?). I see that if I would carry a tool like Q3 in my pocket, I would carry it opened.
 >:D
 :facepalm:
First off. Fantastic mustache.

Second. The shape is different which SOG doesn't seem to be afraid of or shy away from.  With most all their tools being different style or shapes from each other. And then this year also making the belt buckle version.

But you said it. It will fit some places or carries actually better than a thicker wider heavier multitool. This would fit my tool roll or outside toolbag pockets ideally.

I think it's cool and fun and hopefully top quality (especially for the price points being in the higher end) I think they had good vision on these.

Third, great great mustache Padre!

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 04:50:55 AM
So I see that rei has the version with the pen and maybe the one with scissors. I'd really like to see the deluxe version, I'm guessing it's gonna be sooooon  :whistle:

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 11:13:06 PM
I said some of this in another thread but...

It just seems like they are wasting a lot of space.  Ombudsman put a picture of that Benchmark tool and I know that Olympia tool also made those old "pen multi tools" that were pretty bad.  But these new SOG batons look like they might be worse.  :ahhh
I HOPE that I am wrong, but the Q3 looks like one of those old "pen multi tools" with thick plastic handle scales.  I want to applaud SOG for being different but the Q3 is the only one that doesn't look like it is suffering from a serious lack of tools.
So big and thick and yet so few tools. :-[

And, Does anyone know if the Q2 legally qualifies as a fixed blade?  because if it does I would bet that in CA you can't carry it in your pocket.  ???

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 09:47:31 PM
review I found today, more of a first looks but anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaQFP9p4OMg
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 07:19:23 PM
Any news on the 3 & 4 release dates? Wondering if I should save this cash or not!  :whistle:

Offline plaguem

• New User
Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 11:13:58 AM
Hi guys,

Newbie here. I registered as a member but never posted anything. I made youtube videos on the Q1 and Q2 and I've been looking for ways to goose the views (full disclosure!).

Anyway the videos I made are quite in depth i think. But honestly any feedback would be welcomed.

REMOVED

REMOVED
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:49:11 PM by zoidberg »

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 12:55:23 AM
Well well, excellent review and a great first post! You should be active on this forum, your review was very well done indeed and very helpful to one interested in the tool!!  :salute: :tu:

Now bring on the q3 and q4!!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:56:30 AM by kaput »

Offline plaguem

• New User
Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 06:11:34 PM
Well well, excellent review and a great first post! You should be active on this forum, your review was very well done indeed and very helpful to one interested in the tool!!  :salute: :tu:

Now bring on the q3 and q4!!!

Thank you kindly for saying so! I'm looking forward to the q3 and q4 too! Racheting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 10:53:44 PM
Hi guys,

Newbie here. I registered as a member but never posted anything. I made youtube videos on the Q1 and Q2 and I've been looking for ways to goose the views (full disclosure!).

Anyway the videos I made are quite in depth i think. But honestly any feedback would be welcomed.

REMOVED

REMOVED

We're an online store based in Singapore.

Sorry to have to remove your videos, but they are in violation of our forum policies on advertising.

As this is a privately owned and members funded forum we can't allow you to advertise for free here.

We have members here paying for the privilege to advertise and allowing you to do so for free wouldn't be fair to them.

If you have any questions or would like arrange options for advertising, please contact Grant Lamontagne, the site owner via email.

Nice to have you with us and you can enjoy the forum and take part in the discussions, but don't advertise anymore until you've made arrangements to do.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:56:18 PM by zoidberg »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD