Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Powerplay and Powergrab+Help me pick a multitool

Offline Shai Kaminka

SOG Powerplay and Powergrab+Help me pick a multitool
on: January 21, 2017, 07:16:52 PM
Hi Guys, total newb here.
I've been wanting a multitool for some time, and I seem to continuously narrow it down to one, and then something changes my mind.

I'm in the scouts, and looking for a multitool that will last for some time, preferably a black oxide one (I'm a sucker for the looks. Sue me.). A swiss army knife is not an option, I want a tool with serious pliers and locking tools. My price range is about 80$.

Currently, I'm considering the new Powergrab - it looks like the best SOG has to offer (possibly out of my price range, but SOG's official price for the Powerlock is 114$ and it sells on amazon for 64$, so maybe it'll just fit). The blade steel is better (420) with a high quality finish BUT NO SAW, which renders it unusable for me. Thing is, It IS the same size as a Powerlock (at least closed), and the screws on the handles are (at least from the picture) either torex, safety torex or even allen screws, so why shouldn't it be possible to buy the Powerlock\assist saw on SOG's website and put it instead of, say, the scissors? I know it isn't officially compatible, but has anyone tried it with the Powerplay (which seems to be the exact same as the Powergrab, except for the tools and finish)?

I previously looked at the Super Tool 300 - Too pricey and the inside only tools kinda suck, the Rebar - Same with the inside only tools, and the Powerlock - The combo edge just feels like the worst of both worlds, and have now settled for the Powerplay. It is sort of a compromise, as I have yet to see someone say it really is a great tool, it looks just sort of okay, not sure how it'll hold up.

If anyone wants to suggest a multitool, here are the list of tools I absolutely need:

Needlenose pliers with a wider gripping portion and cutters (obviously)
Saw
Knife (preferably 1 plain edge and 1 serrated, if the rest is great I can compromise on a combo edge)
Can opener
Bottle Opener
At least one phillips and one straight screwdriver (A FULL SIZE bit driver is better, the flat ones on the Wave look awful)

A lanyard loop would be cool, I'd love to attach a carabiner and have the tool hanging from my backpack while on hikes and such with the scouts, but is not a must.

I still have sometime before it is really relevant (my birthday), but since I live outside of the US and prices here are WAY higher, I'd like to order it soon, so any help will be much appreciated.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SOG Powerplay and Powergrab+Help me pick a multitool
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 07:29:19 PM
Welcome to the forum.  It certainly seems like you have done some research, but I wonder why you have not considered either the Victorinox Spirit or the larger version, the SwissTool?  Those would be the ones that I would personally opt for with the criteria you posted.

Your list of must haves cover a very large number of tools, so you should have lots to choose from.

I would also suggest the Gerber MP600, which should fit well within your budget.

Good luck with your search and I am sure that folks here woul dbe very happy to answer any questions you may have.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 09:08:17 PM
1. Swisstool Spirit X Black Oxide
2. Leatherman Wave Black Oxide
3. Gerber MP600 Black Oxide

If you want large tool:

1. Swisstool X Black Oxide
2. Leatherman Surge Black Oxide
3. SOG PowerLock Black Oxide

Some of these you might want to search mint condition used to get on 80$ range.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Offline Shai Kaminka

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 09:32:53 PM
I can't seem to find a black oxide version of the swisstool or the spirit, and all of the amazon sellers look very sketchy... Could you provide a link?

I looked at the MP600, can't say I liked the design, and if the screwdrivers were any shorter thier reach would be negative... while I was on the site, I looked at the rest of their lineup, and I didn't really like anything im my range, so I guess Gerber's out for me...

BTW, if anyone outside of the US and Canada knows anything about the warranty of LM, SOG or Vic that will help a lot

Also, if anyone has used the Powerplay for sometime it would be great if he could share his experience with it
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:56:37 PM by Shai Kaminka »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 10:19:45 PM
Welcome to :MTO: and good luck on your search :tu: BO will also raise the price on many models if price is a concern :think: There are many choices to pick from and I am not a SOG person so I have no experience with them ;) But a Spirit or Wave might be more in fitting with your wants (the bit driver has been around for over a decade on the Wave and several other tools now so that wouldn't bother me to use) :cheers:

fi Offline Padre

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 10:34:26 PM
I do have opinions about powerplay, but lets just say that I like its pliers a lot. It just have bad things that Wave does not. If you are into SOGs, it might be good idea to wait for PowerGrab and PowerAccess, as they might fix some problems. Also right now Spirit X in black is probably possible used one only, as it is expensive even in Europe.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Offline Shai Kaminka

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 09:02:12 PM
It is possible that I'll be able to buy a MT now since my brother is going to be in Canada for a trip, and I narrowed it down to the Powerlock and the Powerplay. If you had to pick, which one would you pick?

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 09:12:24 PM
I'm currently EDC a Victorinox Spirit X, but I love my SOG PowerPlay. Both excellent, excellent multitools :tu: :salute:
SAW

fi Offline Padre

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 09:27:39 PM
All tools mentioned are good, its mostly peoples own preference. Powerlock is larger and supports SOGs replaceable tools, that come handy. It has probably one of the strongest pliers around. PowerPlay is smaller and lighter tool and features some outside opening tools also. Being newer SOG tool it might have warranty problems, but those can be fixed too, even better if you can check out the tool physically before buying.

Both are still good choices from a brand that has so wonderful tools around.

My choice would be PowerLock if weight isnt a problem, it is just a bit sturdier.
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 02:48:03 AM
It is possible that I'll be able to buy a MT now since my brother is going to be in Canada for a trip,

Remind him to make sure he doesn't try to take anything with a blade onto any aircraft, it will most likely be confiscated. I'd hate to see you lose it that way. Put it in luggage going in the hold.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 02:18:51 PM
Picking a MT is like picking underwear.   Those fit others best might be awkward to you.  :facepalm: The best way is to consider your habit when you use a tool and get a chance to play with it a bit and see if it fits your hand or if there is any pinch points or hotspots that is specially design for you.  :tu:

For warranty, here in Hong Kong  (outside north America), we can always send Leatherman back through our official distributor here for warranty with postage fee. If it is not bought from the official distributor, it can also be sent back with some extra cost. For vic, there is an official distributor too and they honour the warranty but seems there will be no warranty if we buy out of their network. For Gerber, looks like there is no warranty here but I am not perfectly sure. I don't know about SOG coz I don't own any.

Offline Shai Kaminka

Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 07:21:23 PM
It is possible that I'll be able to buy a MT now since my brother is going to be in Canada for a trip,

Remind him to make sure he doesn't try to take anything with a blade onto any aircraft, it will most likely be confiscated. I'd hate to see you lose it that way. Put it in luggage going in the hold.

Thanks! First thing I checked was if he was taking just a carry on. Lost a SAK that way, my mom forgot about the no blades rule, and she used to work in airport security :think:

Picking a MT is like picking underwear.   Those fit others best might be awkward to you.  :facepalm:
:rofl: :rofl:

For warranty, here in Hong Kong  (outside north America), we can always send Leatherman back through our official distributor here for warranty with postage fee. If it is not bought from the official distributor, it can also be sent back with some extra cost. For vic, there is an official distributor too and they honour the warranty but seems there will be no warranty if we buy out of their network. For Gerber, looks like there is no warranty here but I am not perfectly sure. I don't know about SOG coz I don't own any.
Thanks, that's really helpful. I guess I'll just contact SOG and ask, as I seem to have picked the powerlock (
My choice would be PowerLock if weight isnt a problem, it is just a bit sturdier.
Thanks for that!)

A huge thanks to everyone that helped me, you guys rock!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 08:54:46 AM
I dont know about these new models, but some you can customize and add a saw for instance, but I agree with the previous reccomendations, the spirit or wave is a better built tool than sogs

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 04:18:33 PM
Speaking as a former Boy Scout, I'd suggest the Wave. It's pretty much perfect for your purposes, tool-wise. Leatherman's flat bits function just fine really. Though, the BO version does seem to run about $100.

Now, if you want a BO tool with all the features you listed, take another look at the MP600. You can get a BO MP600 on Amazon for $40, purchase the bit/extender kit for the driver, and still come in under budget.

https://smile.amazon.com/Gerber-MP600-Multi-Plier-Needle-47550/dp/B000VORS1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485270987&sr=8-1&keywords=gerber%2Bmp600&th=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Gerber-MP400-MP600-MP650-45200/dp/B000HU20YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485271072&sr=8-1&keywords=gerber+bit+kit

Offline Shai Kaminka

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 07:33:31 PM
I agree with the previous reccomendations, the spirit or wave is a better built tool than sogs
Moneys, man. I don't have enough of them.

Speaking as a former Boy Scout, I'd suggest the Wave. It's pretty much perfect for your purposes, tool-wise. Leatherman's flat bits function just fine really. Though, the BO version does seem to run about $100.

Now, if you want a BO tool with all the features you listed, take another look at the MP600. You can get a BO MP600 on Amazon for $40, purchase the bit/extender kit for the driver, and still come in under budget.

Indeed, if I had the money I'd have bought the Wave. And the thing is with the MP600, that the only version with a saw (which is a huge must for me), the "Pro Scout" version, has too many small things for me to not choose it. Not BO, combo-edge, wiggly pliers, a shorter, wigglier saw (because it is replaceable), and so I decided it isn't worth it.

Powerlock it is :cheers:

fi Offline Padre

Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 10:25:21 PM
Powerlock is the first MT I learned to open balisong flip style. :) Good choice!
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 01:27:36 AM
I agree with the previous reccomendations, the spirit or wave is a better built tool than sogs
Moneys, man. I don't have enough of them.

Indeed, if I had the money I'd have bought the Wave. And the thing is with the MP600, that the only version with a saw (which is a huge must for me), the "Pro Scout" version, has too many small things for me to not choose it. Not BO, combo-edge, wiggly pliers, a shorter, wigglier saw (because it is replaceable), and so I decided it isn't worth it.

Powerlock it is :cheers:

Bah! I forgot the saw  :facepalm:

Ah well. I think plenty of guys swear by the PowerLock. Hope it works out for you  :salute:

Offline Shai Kaminka

Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 04:11:14 PM
UPDATE: The tool arrived some time ago, and HOLY SH*T IS IT GREAT. The knife is razor-sharp, the saw cuts through wood like a hot knife through butter, it looks amazing, AND THE PLIERS CUT THROUGH FUC*ING COINS. I just returned from a special scout-day yesterday, used it a lot, and it never failed to amaze me and my friends.

The only thing sort of wrong is the locks. The tools lock, but sometimes you have to play with them a little for them to lock and if you push them hard enough (or hit them a little on the backside) the lock will fail. It isn't horrid, but it still does kind of suck.

Anyways, thanks a lot to everybody that took the time to answer! You helped a whole lot

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 06:38:44 PM
I'm glad to hear that you got something that you are happy with!

The PowerLock is a great tool and about as heavy duty as you can reasonably expect to get.

Let us know how you get on with it after some more use- sometimes feelings change after more use.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%