Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge + Blacktip Hybrid - "Ormagöden"

Theo · 25 · 2212

au Offline Theo

on: January 25, 2017, 04:32:21 AM
It's been about a year since I started building this mod but I slowly got it done.

I pinched the idea of adding the "skin" of a Surge to an existing tool from jlwatso1 but the idea of "splicing" two of the non-garbage handle from two SOG Blacktips together was my own.

A couple of pictures of the modding process will follow.

I called it Ormagöden after the God of Metal in Brütal Legend.
IMG_20170125_141319.jpg
* IMG_20170125_141319.jpg (Filesize: 120.76 KB)
IMG_20170125_141240.jpg
* IMG_20170125_141240.jpg (Filesize: 125.34 KB)

us Offline irona

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 05:03:28 AM
Whoa, that's really interesting. Great idea!

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Re: Surge + Blacktip Hybrid - "Ormagöden"
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:03:48 AM
Thats bloody fantastic!  :gimme:

Be a gentlemen and make a 1-2 minute youtube showcase of this awesome monstrosity :pok:
-Tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

au Offline Theo

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:11:34 AM
The rivets holding the gear covers and the handles on the two SOG Blacktips were ground off with a dremel bit fitted to my drill (I don't have a dremel or a flexishaft but I've got steady hands).

The tiny machine screws I used had to have their heads ground really small to fit on the inside of the handles and not hit the pliers when folding them out. In order to do this evenly, I did it with the eggbeater hand drill, making sure I rotated them in the opposite direction to the direction of travel of the grinder. I used some tape to protect the threads from the jaws of the chuck.

The holes in the gear pivots and the gear covers had to be enlarged to 4mm because they were not only an imperial size which are hard to get in Australia but it was a size uncommon even among imperial sizes.

Unfortunately I couldn't find screw posts or even sex bolts the right size for any of the fastenings I had to use, not even the main pivots. I did have round ended nuts for the points where the Surge handles are attached to the Blacktip handles but they protruded beyond the surface of the Surge handles, so I just had to use jam nuts.

The Surge handles were cut up entirely with an angle grinder and tidied up on the bench grinder (once again, I have very steady hands, if you have a go at this yourself, you might want to use something other than an angle grinder).

To drill the holes in the hardened steel, I turned the speed on my drill press to its lowest setting, clamped the components in place and, using the cheapest HSS drill bits available, sharpened the drill bits between every hole and drilled each hole with three bits becoming progressively larger, using lubricant.

Because the pivot holes in the handles and tools differ in size between the Surge and the Blacktip components, I had to use little bushings on the outside. I cut these from brass tube with my jeweller's saw.

The file and saw are from the original Supertool, I pinched this idea from sLaughterMed: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67635.msg1316246.html#msg1316246 because they're longer than the SOG equivalents.

I'm hoping in future to also add the screwdrivers from the Supertool because they're larger and I've got room for them but they're too thick to match up with the SOG piano locks and I need access to a linisher with guides to make them fit. This is partly why the mod took me so long, I was waiting to be able to do this before assembling but in the end I decided to just assemble it with mostly SOG internal tools.

The XL screwdriver next to the V-cutter is made from the Blacktip's fish scaler and what looks like a second large screwdriver in the above photos is, in actual fact, a large screwdriver with the tip ground into a chisel.
WP_20160410_001.jpg
* WP_20160410_001.jpg (Filesize: 112.91 KB)
WP_20160410_008.jpg
* WP_20160410_008.jpg (Filesize: 116.51 KB)
WP_20160416_001.jpg
* WP_20160416_001.jpg (Filesize: 111.69 KB)
WP_20160416_002.jpg
* WP_20160416_002.jpg (Filesize: 107.2 KB)

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 05:44:16 AM
That thing looks brutally awesome  :drool: It looks so clean. Well done!  :cheers:

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 08:39:58 AM
Out freaking standing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 11:18:06 AM
Wow! That is so cool!
Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline Johnny Macarroni

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 11:24:41 AM
Amazing job! Congratulations.

Enviado desde mi LG-D855 mediante Tapatalk

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 02:29:04 PM
Wow !   very cool mod   :like: :cheers: :tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 03:10:54 PM
So that's why you wanted two Blacktips - very nice work  :tu:   :salute:   :D
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 04:28:27 PM
That is a Brutal Legend. Awesome awesome work!!!   :tu:

A true beast of an MT   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 05:34:53 PM
 :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 11:58:39 PM
Wow, what a great mod! I love the SOG compound leverage platform, but that is a truly great addition.

Also, just so you know, the PowerAssist I modded the Supertool parts into have Piano Locks, and while they don't match up evenly, they lock up nicely. And I use it often  :tu:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 12:51:22 AM
 :gimme:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 03:29:37 PM
That's awesome!

How about its functinality, ergonomics and such?

au Offline Theo

Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 12:41:28 AM
That's awesome!

How about its functinality, ergonomics and such?

I wear a medium glove and it's just about as big as can fit when the handles are closed, any bigger and I'd be having trouble. I tried one of the Nite-Ize pocket clips and that did make it too big to hold. The Nite-Ize clips aren't exactly low profile though. However, it still fits in the original Blacktip sheath, which was unexpected.

The addition of the Surge components means that in plier mode, the hard edges of the Blacktip handles no longer dig into one's hands, which is a massive improvement.

I'm a bit sceptical about the strength of the machine screws I used to replace the rivets holding the gears and gear covers, they're just 316 stainless where the original rivets were hardened 420, but only time and more use can tell on that count.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 01:46:59 AM
All hail the Ormagöden!!!  Mad skills sir!!!

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 04:19:46 AM
Just found this thread tonight! Very nice! I haven't been on MTO much and I see I have missed some awesome mods! I hung up the Surge skin idea for a while, but I may have to revisit it now.... thanks a lot! :facepalm:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 08:44:34 AM
Thanks for the update Theo.   :cheers:   If I ever get another BT I'll be flipping a handle for sure.

au Offline Theo

Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 01:40:02 PM
Thanks for all the praise everyone.

I've used the straight blade more than anything else so far. The handle is noticeably large while doing this but doesn't make it difficult.

The extra large screwdriver I made from the fish scaler has proved useful once.

I've used the pliers several times but only once with any level of crushing force. I was surprised by how little effort was required - thanks to the compound leverage of course. The fastenings on the gears don't seem to have deteriorated at all.

au Offline Theo

Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 12:30:30 PM
An idea I just came up with.

Quotes from my December 2015 Surge Competition thread when I was first considering this mod:

Yah!  The Double Blacktip (DBT) You may be a trend setter! :tu: I suppose you will have to have one with all outside opening parts with the spare parts...

Yeah I will pass on an outside opening blacktip. One of those handles was bad enough, two would be smurf. YMMV.

If anything, the thing to do with the one garbage handle on the Blacktip, with only the knife and v cutter, would be to replace the plastic spacer with a big hunk of steel and turn it into a "hammer" like on the Leatherman MUT and Signal.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 02:05:07 PM
Missed this thread the first go round :o Very nice mod and great job :tu: Looks very nice :like:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 02:15:49 PM
Am I in love? Oh yes!  :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :climber: :like:

us Offline tonytools

Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 05:35:18 PM
 :like:Good work and idea!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!