Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

TL-29

David · 124 · 8486

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: TL-29
Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 11:40:38 PM

That's a great collection.  :tu: :tu:
 I've never seen handles like that before. I wonder if someone had it done.
[/quote]
It appears as though whomever had it took a file(or possibly a fine toothed saw)and cut the grooves.Not quite symmetrical but decent as it must have been fairly difficult to do.
Here are some more.
Holub Sycamore Illinois.Not sure they were a manufacturer;probably a distributor.
Imperial.
Kingston(a fairly rare one as they weren't in business very long.Mostly known for metal handled military utility knives.
M.Klein & Sons 3 blade. The odd blade is used for something electrical but I can't recall what exactly.
[/quote]

Holub--might be Schrade, as I've seen a Craftsman three blade supposedly made by them that had those strippers in the screwdriver blade, and secondly, I've seen more traditional Holubs attributed to Schrade, and Camilus too.

Nice Kingston--only Kingstons I've seen are like you say, metal handled, a Stockman, the utility knives, and I think a jack too.

As for the Klein, that's a Romex stripper, or so I've heard.  I do believe that's exclusive to Klein branded Kutmasters.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #31 on: February 02, 2017, 12:49:25 AM
Here's some of mine, decided to start with Kutmaster, as most of my electrician/hawkbill/rope knives are by them.

First up, hawkbill and rope:

First is a "Klein Tools" by Kutmaster; was my grandfather's in the coal mines in the Jewell Ridge, VA area in the mid '70s to early '80s.  I got it barely a year ago, and it's hooked me on hawkbills.

Kutmaster made USGC Survival/Raft Knife by Kutmaster, which uses a hawkbill frame, and has a big beefy sheepsfoot and can opener--note tang stamp is ground off and no bail, I got it for eight bucks as a factory second brand new.  Someone managed to drill two holes on one side for the bail, and a bail wasn't even put on, I think I can find a scrap hawkbill for the bail, as there's still a hole in the right place on the other side for a bail.   It's a favorite for farm EDC, as whatever Kutmaster uses for their stainless is great stuff.

"M. Klein and Sons" hawkbill, unknown maker (I suspect Camillus or Ulster). It predates the "Klein Tools" by at least 10 years or so, and likely comes from the early sixties.  According to Kutmaster, that extra pin behind the bail pin means they didn't make it. It belonged to a coal miner friend of mine who carried it underground attached to his belt with a carabiner.  The reason it was retired from use was that the bail broke off.     

2017-02-01_06-31-46 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 05:09:39 PM
Here's some of mine, decided to start with Kutmaster, as most of my electrician/hawkbill/rope knives are by them.

First is a "Klein Tools" by Kutmaster; was my grandfather's in the coal mines in the Jewell Ridge, VA area in the mid '70s to early '80s.  I got it barely a year ago, and it's hooked me on hawkbills.

Kutmaster made USGC Survival/Raft Knife by Kutmaster, which uses a hawkbill frame, and has a big beefy sheepsfoot and can opener--note tang stamp is ground off and no bail, I got it for eight bucks as a factory second brand new.  Someone managed to drill two holes on one side for the bail, and a bail wasn't even put on, I think I can find a scrap hawkbill for the bail, as there's still a hole in the right place on the other side for a bail.   It's a favorite for farm EDC, as whatever Kutmaster uses for their stainless is great stuff.

"M. Klein and Sons" hawkbill, unknown maker (I suspect Camillus or Ulster). It predates the "Klein Tools" by at least 10 years or so, and likely comes from the early sixties.  According to Kutmaster, that extra pin behind the bail pin means they didn't make it. It belonged to a coal miner friend of mine who carried it underground attached to his belt with a carabiner.  The reason it was retired from use was that the bail broke off.     

2017-02-01_06-31-46 by cody6268, on Flickr
A lot of great history there  :tu:  :like: :like:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 02, 2017, 07:55:07 PM

Great knives Cody! The history makes them priceless(to me anyway).I have two old Imperial Kamp Kings that belonged to my grandfather(who raised me)who passed away in 1965 and they are priceless.
That Kutmaster USCG knife is unusual;don't recall ever seeing one and the price was great!
To me the stories behind the knives are the most important. For the last several years on and of I have been working on a book about some of the 3000 odd knives I have that have stories behind them. Hopefully it will be finished before I am.

us Offline David

Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 08:03:07 PM
Great knives and history Cody!       :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline cody6268

Reply #35 on: February 05, 2017, 11:06:43 PM
The rest of my Kleins and Kutmasters.

Klein-Kutmaster Coping Knife, liner locking.  Purchased for $3 at a local flea market this past summer.

Klein-Kutmaster Coping Knife, non locking.  Given to me by the same guy that gave me the hawkbill.  Engraved "Abingdon Wholesale Plumbing and Electric Supply Co".   Oddly, the blade somehow became magnetized, pretty strongly, actually.  It and the other are frequent EDC knives.

Klein-Kutmaster Coping Knife, non locking.  Came from the same individual as the other Klein Hawkbill and coping knife   It's beat up pretty bad, and the blade's been in electricity.  Been meaning to dress that bad chip out, but haven't had the time.

Kutmaster Electrician's Knife.  It was my great-uncles EDC from the 1960s until his passing (literally, right up until the day he passed).   He modded this one, and a few others to have two master blades, one is thinner than the other, as it was used in a yarn factory to clean up tangled reels.   I inherited it shortly after his passing from my great aunt. I never carry or use it, but do keep it clean and oiled.

2017-02-05_04-56-49 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 02:17:56 AM

Klein-Kutmaster Coping Knife, liner locking.  Purchased for $3 at a local flea market this past summer.

Klein-Kutmaster Coping Knife, non locking.  Given to me by the same guy that gave me the hawkbill.  Engraved "Abingdon Wholesale Plumbing and Electric Supply Co".   Oddly, the blade somehow became magnetized, pretty strongly, actually.  It and the other are frequent EDC knives.

Klein-Kutmaster Coping Knife, non locking.  Came from the same individual as the other Klein Hawkbill and coping knife   It's beat up pretty bad, and the blade's been in electricity.  Been meaning to dress that bad chip out, but haven't had the time.

Kutmaster Electrician's Knife.  It was my great-uncles EDC from the 1960s until his passing (literally, right up until the day he passed).   He modded this one, and a few others to have two master blades, one is thinner than the other, as it was used in a yarn factory to clean up tangled reels.   I inherited it shortly after his passing from my great aunt. I never carry or use it, but do keep it clean and oiled.

:like: Like the history.

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 06, 2017, 02:16:38 PM

:like: Like the history.
+1 :cheers:
Andrew

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 03:51:04 PM
Has anyone tried the current SOG TL-29 clone? Is it any good?

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 05:27:20 PM
I have not seen it, tried to google with out any luck.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 06:05:38 PM

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 06:23:04 PM
I was thinking of this one: https://www.sogknives.com/contractor-iii.html
It's an interesting take on the TL-29 but I have to admit I know nothing about SOG.

us Offline David

Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 07:17:35 PM
I've seen the pics of it but dont know anything about it.
Hold Fast

us Offline cody6268

Reply #43 on: February 08, 2017, 07:30:55 PM

For the price (despite being Chinese made, the price here for them is actually more than the USA made Bear and Son or Kutmaster/Klein/Proto TL-29s), there are far better options.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:22:09 PM by cody6268 »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: February 08, 2017, 07:34:11 PM
Thanks!  :salute:

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: February 08, 2017, 09:08:07 PM

For the price (despite being Chinese made, the price here for them is actually more than the USA made Bear and Son or Kutmaster/Klein/Proto TL-29s), there are far better options.
I'll stick to the Kutmaster/Klein/Proto TL-29's then.
For more $ I would at least want a better steel & I don't need a locking main blade.

us Offline David

Reply #46 on: February 10, 2017, 07:37:18 PM
Electric Mate has a Ric-Nor Boston, U.S.A tang stamp. Dont know much about the history of these    :)
Electric Mate 001.JPG
* Electric Mate 001.JPG (Filesize: 57.46 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: February 10, 2017, 08:57:28 PM
Nice one   :cheers:

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: February 10, 2017, 10:01:39 PM
Electric Mate has a Ric-Nor Boston, U.S.A tang stamp. Dont know much about the history of these    :)

Nice knife  :tu:
I would bet it is a contract knife for Ric-Nor, it might be hard to find out who made it for them.

us Offline David

Reply #49 on: February 11, 2017, 07:52:14 AM

Nice knife  :tu:
I would bet it is a contract knife for Ric-Nor, it might be hard to find out who made it for them.

Reckon thats proably right Dean. Its not very well made. But will get the job done.    :)
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: February 20, 2017, 09:35:07 PM

us Offline David

Reply #51 on: February 20, 2017, 10:53:50 PM
Hold Fast

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: February 24, 2017, 02:39:49 AM
Not sure who made this one as the tang stamp is unreadable;possibly Canton Cutlery Co. or Novelty Cutlery Co. Picture handle knife with the logo ITE Circuit  Breaker. Not sure if that is the company name or what they sold.Not quite a TL-29 but definitely an electrician's knife.
ITE CircuitBreaker1.jpg
* ITE CircuitBreaker1.jpg (Filesize: 107.25 KB)

us Offline David

Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 07:41:42 AM
Ray thanks for posting that one. I've never seen one like it.      :tu:    :like:
Hold Fast

us Offline Adam5

Reply #54 on: January 07, 2023, 08:00:22 PM
Finally posting in this thread  :waving:

Camillus 27

Klein

Imperial

Queen #40

us Offline Adam5

Reply #55 on: January 07, 2023, 08:12:59 PM
Craftsman

Ric-Nor Electric Mate

Ideal (made by Colonial)

Schrade Walden 204

RR Faded Denim

us Offline Adam5

Reply #56 on: January 07, 2023, 08:18:47 PM
I have another Schrade Walden that I forgot to include  :facepalm:, and a few others not pictured that are TL-29 inspired.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #57 on: January 07, 2023, 11:02:34 PM
An excellent bunch, Adam! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline David

Reply #58 on: January 07, 2023, 11:52:07 PM
Nice collection Adam!    :tu:
Hold Fast

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: January 08, 2023, 12:09:20 AM
 :iagree: :like:

The Schrade looks really well made  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!