Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help with CRKT knife

Offline mikekoz

Need help with CRKT knife
on: February 12, 2017, 10:00:43 PM
   I got a CRKT M16-10KZ knife from a friend of mine and I need some help with it. He found it outdoors while fishing, but it seems like it is in real good shape. The only problem is that is it real hard to open. From what I have seen about this knife, it is supposed to open real easy just by pulling on the metal piece under it with your forefinger. It is not an assisted opener, however. I have taken the knife apart a few times and cleaned and lubricated it. With the exception of a little rust on the "autolawk" spring, again, it seemed in good shape. It also does not appear to be bent or physically damaged. From what I can see on Youtube, all of the parts are there, and both washers are where they should be. Can anybody help?  Here is a photo of the knife in question:

Any help would be appreciated!! 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:02:20 PM by mikekoz »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Need help with CRKT knife
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:25:59 PM
I'm assuming by "little metal piece under your forefinger" you mean the flipper?

Is the pivot screw tightened too much?  If you back it off a bit, does the knife loosen up any?

It's kind of hard to troubleshoot without really looking at the knife, but overtightening the pivot screw would be the first place I'd look.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 12:02:38 AM
I'm assuming by "little metal piece under your forefinger" you mean the flipper?

Is the pivot screw tightened too much?  If you back it off a bit, does the knife loosen up any?

It's kind of hard to troubleshoot without really looking at the knife, but overtightening the pivot screw would be the first place I'd look.

Def

It will loosen if I do that, but then the blade gets off center when it closes to the point it touches the inner liner, and it gets some horizontal play. One washer is steel , the other is plastic, if that helps! And yes, the flipper is the word I was thinking of!  :D  I was thinking about replacing the plastic washer with another steel one to see what that would do. if I get a chance, I will take the knife apart again this eve and take a picture of it disassembled.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 12:25:46 AM
From the last one I took apart, shouldn't there be two plastic washers?

As for the screw falling out, I would try and adjust it to see if there was a spot that bordered on loose enough to open and tight enough to hold the blade straight.  Then I would Lock Tite it in place.

You could also consider contacting CRKT's customer service/warranty department and see if they have any suggestions?  They may want you to send it in for repair though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 12:32:25 AM
Sometimes those plastic washers are made from Teflon.  Perhaps the metal one is supposed to be plastic as well. Or not.

us Offline Manny Sanchez III

Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 05:38:01 AM
Those are some great knives, and the M series are the best! I used to own a couple M16s and an M21. Good bang for the buck. Hope you're able to fix it. If not, I hear their warranty and customer service is pretty good.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 08:09:50 AM
I had the same problem with my CRKT Drifter and it was because the blade was no longer centered and the side of the blade was scraping the frame. CRKT said it was not repairable. How's the blade centering?

Offline mikekoz

Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 03:14:28 AM
I had the same problem with my CRKT Drifter and it was because the blade was no longer centered and the side of the blade was scraping the frame. CRKT said it was not repairable. How's the blade centering?
[/quote

Thanks for the response. If I loosen the tension screw to the point where it opens fairly easily, the blade scrapes the inner left side of the knife. If I tighten it a bit, it centers almost perfect, but I have to open it like a slip joint. The blade also gets some horizontal play when loosened. I also noticed that the autolawk feature does not work. When on, you can still close the blade.   

Offline mikekoz

Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 03:16:51 AM
Those are some great knives, and the M series are the best! I used to own a couple M16s and an M21. Good bang for the buck. Hope you're able to fix it. If not, I hear their warranty and customer service is pretty good.

I wonder if they would honor the warranty since I am not the original owner? A friend of mine found it while he was fishing. He knows I collect knives, and he just gave it to me!

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 03:25:25 AM
Really sounds like that knife is messed up. If it was up to me I would stop messing with it for safety sake. I would just send it in to CRKT for repair or sell it for parts.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 02:00:14 AM

I wonder if they would honor the warranty since I am not the original owner? A friend of mine found it while he was fishing. He knows I collect knives, and he just gave it to me!

They are probably more qualified to answer that than I am.  I'd suggest contacting them.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%