Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Non-locking Swizas

gb Offline shibafu

Non-locking Swizas
on: February 14, 2017, 01:32:37 PM
Just noticed Heinnie's have UK-friendly non-locking versions of the Swiza models:
https://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools/f/brand/swiza
I can't find anything about these versions anywhere else so possibly they're a special run for Heinnie's.  I'm quite tempted.  From the pictures it looks like the Phillips screwdriver is less pointy than on the earlier models, which would also be an improvement.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Non-locking Swizas
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 02:12:00 PM
The camo looks really nice.  Go for it...

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:51:21 PM
The camo looks really nice.  Go for it...

It does, but the non-locking ones are red, blue, white or black only.  I weakened and ordered a black one :)

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 03:36:19 PM
I like that green ferny camo scales too. If only they were on a Victorinox knife!

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 12:53:09 AM
The D04 looks potentially interesting: https://www.heinnie.com/swiza-d04-non-locking
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:59:12 AM by Oxford_Guy »
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 12:55:55 AM
Just noticed Heinnie's have UK-friendly non-locking versions of the Swiza models:
https://www.heinnie.com/k...s-and-tools/f/brand/swiza
I can't find anything about these versions anywhere else so possibly they're a special run for Heinnie's.  I'm quite tempted.  From the pictures it looks like the Phillips screwdriver is less pointy than on the earlier models, which would also be an improvement.

No dangerous looking curved serated blade either :-)

Or am I getting confused with the Boker Tech Tool?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:58:26 AM by Oxford_Guy »
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 07:32:57 AM
https://www.heinnie.com/k...s-and-tools/f/brand/swiza

No dangerous looking curved serated blade either :-)

Or am I getting confused with the Boker Tech Tool?

You're confused  :ahhh  :D
This curved, serrated small blade is on the Tech Tools,
so elementary changes in tool configuration on the Swizas

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 02:15:59 PM
Here we have it, "non-bloqué" :)

The non-locking liner looks just the same as the liner-lock liner, except the final little nubbin at the end (second picture, circled yellow) is not cut through.  The presence of that little nubbin on the original version suggests to me that a non-locking version was always part of the plan.

The Phillips screwdriver (3rd picture, new one on the right) is indeed less pointy and has a better taper.  It's a definite improvement on the early version.  So Swiza are making some steps forward.
swiza01.jpg
* swiza01.jpg (Filesize: 47.62 KB)
swiza02.jpg
* swiza02.jpg (Filesize: 44.67 KB)
swiza03.jpg
* swiza03.jpg (Filesize: 22.59 KB)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 02:59:48 PM
Wow, that was the quickest delivery ever!

Great to see they're making improvements. I keep wanting to buy a Swiza and one day I'll get round to it. (I think it's the "32 euros for a Spartan?" thought that trips me up each time.) I don't have the non-locking restriction that you do (though who knows, post-Brexit I might be back in Blighty quicker than expected) so I might have to indulge in one of the camo variants. The orange fern pattern is a real beauty.

Anyway, I think people were a bit snooty about Swiza but I think it's great there's an alternative to Victorinox. I certainly think we should give them a chance.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 03:52:47 PM
Wow, that was the quickest delivery ever!

Not really, par for the course with Heinnie's!  And that was with the free shipping option. If you pay for the more expensive shipping, I'm guessing it probably turns up before you ordered it.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 03:58:07 PM
Here we have it, "non-bloqué" :)

The non-locking liner looks just the same as the liner-lock liner, except the final little nubbin at the end (second picture, circled yellow) is not cut through.  The presence of that little nubbin on the original version suggests to me that a non-locking version was always part of the plan.

The Phillips screwdriver (3rd picture, new one on the right) is indeed less pointy and has a better taper.  It's a definite improvement on the early version.  So Swiza are making some steps forward.
Did the backspring change? IIRC then the Swiza blade had a rather soft backspring, OK if you have a lock, but without :ahhh
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 06:38:00 PM
Did the backspring change? IIRC then the Swiza blade had a rather soft backspring, OK if you have a lock, but without :ahhh

No the backspring was always OK, about the same as a 91mm Vic.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 08:59:19 PM

No the backspring was always OK, about the same as a 91mm Vic.
That should work then... good to know.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 09:38:07 PM
Swizas need aluminum handle version too, I just cannot destroy these with dirty hands in work...
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!