Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

importing Chinese axis lock knife to Canada

ca Offline jcs0001

importing Chinese axis lock knife to Canada
on: February 14, 2017, 11:04:02 PM
I'm interested if anyone has had customs problems bringing in a sanrenmu or elan axis lock knives to Canada.  I'm of the understanding that knives that can be opened with centrifugal force (gravity knife) are prohibited and don't want one of those anyway.  I would like to try an axis lock knife and this is a reasonably inexpensive way to do so.  I would likely order from fasttech or SPAMCORP.

Thanks for any ideas,

John.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: importing Chinese axis lock knife to Canada
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 02:56:38 AM
I doubt very much that anyone is going to even test the knife to see if it flicks of not.

The majority of legal concern isn't about floppy folders, it's about gravity powered OTF knives and balisongs.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.  I have received hundreds of packages from many different countries and less than 1% have been opened and inspected.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 03:14:12 AM
I would likely order from fasttech or SPAMCORP.

Thanks for any ideas,

John.

Ordering a knockoff knife from a company named SPAMCORP?

:spamkiller: amirite
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 12:46:40 PM
I think a true gravity knife which is designed to be opened by gravity or inertia is different from a knife that happened able to be flicked open.
A lot liner lock and frame lock knife or even a tri ad lock can be opened by flicking if you give adequate strength....

I have no idea about the case in Canada but Hong Kong is another place where gravity knives are strictly prohibited. We still can buy axis lock Benchmade on proper retail shops with no problem.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 01:25:41 PM
I have imported many different kinds of folders and have generally had 0 problems.

However, I lost a nice Zero Tolerance semi-custom to the border smurfs last year.

It was a frame lock flipper folder on bearings. Same setup that I can buy at many Canadian knife retailers with no hassle.

They decided to stop and check the contents of the package and decided that they could wrist it open. Thus it was confiscated and destroyed.

I called and talking to the folks at the seizures division. The argument that it can be bought at a local store doesn't fly. The argument that it was used and the pivot may have come loose didn't fly. I asked about appealing, they said they would just perform the same test again (wouldn't tighten pivot as they are not allowed to alter the item). I was also politely told there is a 0% chance of successfully appealing these things.

Word to the wise when importing: ask the seller to crank the pivot tight. Make sure it is difficult to open with 2 hands. You can always adjust when you get it home.

I know that none of my Axis lock knives would pass the wrist test when tuned to open smoothly with 1 hand. In fact, many of the knives I own would not pass their wrist test and neither would 90%+ of the knives sold at most knife stores. How they are allowed to import and sell them (or how the border smurfs are allowed to confiscate legal things) is beyond me but as an individual you are hard pressed to do much about it. The laws around this are very grey in their wording and implementation.

Generally, unless you are being a smurf, you will not have any problems with carrying and using these knives. Be aware that if a cop decides you're being a smurf when interacting with you and decides to inspect your knife, they can use the wrist open to tack on a weapons charge. It is a very subjective thing, but is very hard to fight as an individual of limited means.

As a result of last year's confiscation, I reconsidered my need for carrying a dedicated folder. I rarely do now, preferring the blade on my  MT and SAK for most tasks. If I do carry a folder, it is one that can't be wrist opened.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 04:22:05 PM
Grant - thanks for the reply.  There isn't a lot at risk anyway but I thought I'd ask.

Kaput - between my own grammar and spelling, my computer's auto fill and that of the forum it's a wonder any of my messages are intelligible. :D

Aurabattler - unfortunately our customs officers may not understand the difference.  I would certainly keep the blade firm enough that it can be opened one handed but that it cannot be flicked open.  Thanks for the input.  It is the same here in that we can buy knives with an axis lock locally with no problem.  We are allowed assisted opening knives - doesn't seem to be much difference between that and one that operates with a "flick" so in my opinion in this regard the "law is an ass".

Toolslinger - thanks for the lengthy, detailed reply.  You are very correct when you mention that a person of limited means may end up in trouble if someone in authority decides to make an issue of a knife that they are carrying.  I will continue to carry a folder (I have an assisted opening folder that I carry sometimes) most days as I am pretty invisible as far as the authorities go. 

I will order an axis lock and see what happens.  As I mentioned there isn't a lot at stake.

Thanks,

John.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 04:24:23 PM
Usually the Axis lock detent is pretty strong, you would need to really work hard at wristing it open

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 05:43:19 PM
The only items Ive ever heard of getting confiscated by customs are things that are known to be illegal here.  Specifically butterfly knives, switchblades, throwing stars and brass knuckles.

There is a guy in TO with a hobby business selling brass knuckles online.  I wonder if he knows his product is illegal here.   Still in business last I checked too.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 10:06:08 PM
I've seen the same thing at the local flea market.  At one point a fellow was selling a cross between an electric cattle prod and an expendable baton.  Pretty sure that it would have been frowned upon by the authorities.

John.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 10:13:13 PM
A company importing lots of stuff doesn't have to worry about it, as individual items won't be scrutinised and you can get all kinds of things through that you shouldn't.  An individual item in a package is likely to be picked up on, which is why you see this stuff at Canadian Tire and other places.

For others it is really a complaint driven law- if no one complains, it doesn't matter.  Until they are used in a crime, then all of a sudden people will be horrified.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%