Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Snowshoeing in the Limerick Forest

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Snowshoeing in the Limerick Forest
on: February 19, 2017, 12:29:20 AM
We had a nice, sunny day here today, and a bit of a thaw- it went almost up to 10C today, which is pretty great in February!  It seemed like a bit of a waste to sit at home or go shopping or something, so we packed up the snowshoes and took a run down to a local forest for a walk.

It wasn't long before we can across a pretty cool spot.

That foundation was maybe ten feet by ten feet- imagine ten people living in it!   :ahhh  It seems pretty small by today's standards!

We spotted lots of tracks, including these deer prints.  We also spotted coyote tracks, rabbit tracks and some that may have been muskrat, but it was hard to tell as they were going across the lake and we weren't interested in testing the ice in the middle of a thaw!   :ahhh

There were also these huge weird shaped tracks left by some strange animal....

:D

Trail markers like this one made navigation kind of challenging:

There were informative plaques everywhere telling you about what kinds of animals you can expect to see, mostly in the summer, and trees that are somewhat less migratory....

I still can't manage to walk too far, and trust me, I am paying for it this evening, but we still managed to walk the length of three different trails before I had to pack it in and we had to head back.

Still, we were out for a few hours and covered a fair distance, you know, for a middle aged fat and borderline handicapped guy.  And, while we didn't make it as far as I could have a couple of years ago, we still had a great time, and it was fantastic to be in the woods again, breathing the clean, clear air, something we don't really get every day since we live right in the middle of the city.

I wasn't sure how well these snowshoes would hold up long term since they are inexpensive Big Box store ones, but I have to say that they are doing a fantastic job.  We actually even managed to pass a bunch of military cadets twice as their snowshoes kept breaking!   :ahhh

I guess the Canadian Military needs to start shopping at Costco like I do.... :D

We also tried to stop and have lunch since I brought the Svea Optima 123, but as it turned out neither of us were as hungry as we thought we would be, so after I fueled it up we decided to pack it away and head back instead.

And, given that I had the Surge strapped to my pack, I am surprised I didn't sink into the snow a heck of a lot more than I did!  :D

Even without leaves the woods are a beautiful place to be, and I was really glad to get out and enjoy them today.  It really was something I needed to do, sanity wise.

There's just something about being out in nature and having a good time, without worrying about when you have to be back, what you have to do, etc.  Just get out and do it, live in the now and the rest of the world will keep.

Anyone else snowshoe here?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Snowshoeing in the Limerick Forest
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 12:41:09 AM
Looks like you both had a great time.  The woods are beautiful in all seasons IMO.  Great trail you'll both have to explore in the spring. 
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 06:10:54 AM
Looks like a great trip!
I do own a pair of chepo snowshoes, but havent used them much. There really havent been that much snow the last couple of years to use them on.
Walking around on snowshoes in just 15cm of snow would make my neighbours think I was even stranger than they already think I am :)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 01:54:48 PM
We've had a fair bit of snow the last few years.  Unfortunately I missed most of winter last year.

The year before last we had record amounts of  snow in Halifax.

Seems like we are doing the same here this year.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 04:07:18 PM
Great looking fun Grant :cheers: I would love to get at least one more good snow here but the weather just isn't showing that we will get much more cold weather :-\ I love Spring better but I do like to get out when it snows but we have only had 1 that you could actually get out in :ahhh

Thanks for sharing :tu: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 06:27:20 PM
Looks like a fun walkabout  :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 07:45:59 PM
Looks fantastic mate. :tu:  We've not had a "proper" winter in a couple of years now.  There have definitely been times in my life when I've wished for some snowshoes, but I've never used any.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 09:45:47 PM
Well, the snow banks on my street are almost six feet high, so I think that's enough snow for this and virtually any other winter related sports!

It seems I overdid it yesterday and today as a result I'm having some trouble walking.  I'll try to take it easy today (you know, except for taking Megan to Ikea!  :ahhh) and hopefully be up and around again tomorrow.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 02:09:39 PM
Well, the snow banks on my street are almost six feet high, so I think that's enough snow for this and virtually any other winter related sports!

It seems I overdid it yesterday and today as a result I'm having some trouble walking.  I'll try to take it easy today (you know, except for taking Megan to Ikea!  :ahhh) and hopefully be up and around again tomorrow.

Def

Hope you are getting around better some by now buddy :tu: I like snow but you can keep that much up there :whistle: :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 09:41:55 PM
Yes and no..... I am still having problems but I'm angrier about limitations so I go further than I should.

Even so, we didn't even make it halfway around the National Art Gallery today.  Luckily I bought a membership so we can go back as often as we like over the next year. 

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 06:49:55 PM
Maybe you should get Megan to carry your rucksack next time, looks like it's stuffed with heavy gear. :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 07:44:17 PM
She's planning to get a Camelbak for our next outing so I'll be carrying everything pretty much forever....

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 10:38:28 PM
I'm sure your pack will have a slot for a bladder already, right?  See, you can save your legs and Megan's wallet. :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 12:28:57 AM
I'm a caveman. I use the large black Kleen Kanteen you see on the side of the pack.  In the bottle holder on the other side is the stove fuel bottle, and hopefully I don't mix them up too much....  :ahhh

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 06:54:30 AM
Looks like someone had fun,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 07:58:06 AM
I'm a caveman. I use the large black Kleen Kanteen you see on the side of the pack.  In the bottle holder on the other side is the stove fuel bottle, and hopefully I don't mix them up too much....  :ahhh

Def

Or get an alcohol stove.  :D

The Costco snowshoe is actually pretty decent, although at my weight I wish they had the next size up. A few years ago I got somewhat lost in local hiking trail and was sinking over my knees even with snowshoes on.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 10:09:46 AM
Mine are rated for 250lbs- how much more do you need?  You can't be that heavy unless you are carrying a smurf ton of gear?

Def

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 08:28:24 PM

Def

Or get an alcohol stove.  :D

The Costco snowshoe is actually pretty decent, although at my weight I wish they had the next size up. A few years ago I got somewhat lost in local hiking trail and was sinking over my knees even with snowshoes on.

Been there, granted, that was on at a festival and we had a Trangia to boil water for coffee and some instant soup and some ~90% moonshine. I can also report from the same festival that the etanol fuel nozzle at the petrol station fit perfectly in a plastic soda bottle and that we got plenty of strange looks while filling it up.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 09:58:55 PM
Mine are rated for 250lbs- how much more do you need?  You can't be that heavy unless you are carrying a smurf ton of gear?

Def

I feel the rating is inflated, does fine if you are on already blazed trail/knee deep snow, but anymore than that I want more flotation. Actually that time I got lost I was sinking close to my waist even with snowshoes on at some spots, definitely wasn't feeling comfortable and wished I had the next size up.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:02:09 PM by jzmtl »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 10:53:49 PM
Yes, I am in agreement with you there- for dry fluffy snow you tend to sink a bit much.  When the snow is a bit wetter and a bit thicker you stay pretty close to the top.  In reality, I need to drop about 30 pounds, if for no other reason than to improve the function of my snowshoes....   :ahhh

There are much larger snowshoes, but the price doesn't seem worth it for the few times a year I get out on them.

Def

Offline shekanie

• New User
Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 06:55:22 PM
 user test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 06:58:01 PM
user test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a success?

Def

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 07:09:54 AM
And there it is again!!       :ahhh       Why you no share bag??       :twak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30