Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Custom Leatherman Charge TTi

gnosp · 11 · 6616

us Offline gnosp

Custom Leatherman Charge TTi
on: February 20, 2017, 05:10:31 AM
Very knowledgable and talented members on this forum.  I wanted to contribute for others as well.

CUSTOM LEATHERMAN CHARGE TTI:
-Rebar Plier Head
-Rebar Awl (shaped, replaced scissors)
-Victorinox 91mm Scissors (replaced file)
-Victorinox Tweezers
-Loctite threads
-Flamed

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:11:37 AM by gnosp »

us Offline Wallace72

Re: Custom Leatherman Charge TTi
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:28:02 AM
Beautiful work. Do the scissors lock?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 05:55:44 AM
  :drool: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 06:01:41 AM
Looks great  :salute:

So tell us how you did your scales?  Any lessons learned or things you'd do over?  Tips, suggestions?
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gnosp

Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 07:42:58 AM
thank you everyone.

wallace - the scissors "lock" after opening 90 degrees.  i say "lock" because that is when the liner lock is engaged, but the scissors move freely between opening 90 and 180 degrees, however in actual use (open 180 degrees) they are essentially locked against the backing since you are pressing down to cut.  the pivot hole was enlarged, centered around the original Victorinox pivot hole and some filing of the outer edges done.  with this pivot placement, the original Victorinox spine conveniently fit against the TTi's steel ruler backing.

aloha - "flaming" the scales was a very straightforward process: REMOVE SCALES > CLEAN > DRY > HEAT (via gas stove HIGH) > MONITOR COLORING/TIME (YELLOW to LIGHT BLUE to DARKER BLUE to PURPLE back to YELLOW) > COOL (in cool water) > REPEAT.  as you can see in the pictures, I was initially disappointed that I had accidentally imprinted my fingerprint on one of the scales (likely after carelessly handling one after cleaning  :facepalm:) however, I now appreciate how much more personal it makes the tool to me.

although leatherman's woodsaw is fantastic, I am still considering replacing it with a modified blade exchanger so that a variety of replaceable saws/tools can be used.  I don't believe any stock leatherman blade exchanger will fit without modification so any suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:46:56 AM by gnosp »

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:21:48 AM
That looks really slick 
I just asked about the scissors locking because I was curious if the Vic scissors had enough steel to engage the lock on a charge. I put scissors a Gerber MP1 and they, like the ones on your charge do not engage the lock but do "lock" against the frame for all practical intents.  How did you enlarge the pivot area on the scissors out of curiosity...was the steel difficult to work with?

us Offline gnosp

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:10:08 PM
There should be enough steel on the scissors to engage the liner lock when open 180 degrees if you drill the pivot hole slightly higher (but you may then have issues with the corner backing sitting "flush" against the spine), I believe I have seen examples on this forum.   I considered that position as pictured, but decided to center it around the original Victorinox pivot hole since it made no practical difference when using the scissors and would better engage the "corner" backing against the spine when in use.

Drilling through the stainless steel required a carbide bit, cutting oil, and slow and steady pressure.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 01:23:43 AM
You should consider a center-cutting carbide end mill to enlarge a hole like that. The end mill will hold closer tolerance, and create better surface finish, which a pivot will appreciate.

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 03:31:40 AM
I had to go the drill bit route on my SAK scissors and they seem to work fine.  I checked the hole VERY frequently, and then went through and polished the hole up to 1500 grit to help with the pivot.  Seems nice and smooth so far...granted I've only had it 2 weeks though.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 08:13:26 AM
Nice one newbie.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline gnosp

Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 02:52:00 PM
thanks zoidberg, most of the modding information I found right here on this helpful board.

thanks for the tip chrono.  I was in the same boat as booba and used what I had available to me.  drilling very slowly and finishing / polishing allowed for a smooth and centered pivot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%