Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why Choose Aluminum Oxide (Alox) SAKs?

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Why Choose Aluminum Oxide (Alox) SAKs?
on: February 22, 2017, 09:36:53 PM
Alox SAKs can't hope to compete with their standard red-scaled 91mm family members either in number of models or in tool variation.  So why the Alox mania and the high collectability value?

I suppose that we could start with the superb build quality and look and feel but I think that there is more involved.  My own theory is that it has to do with the "Second Kind of Cool".  Various YouTube personalities that review knives and multi-tools sometimes talk about the "First Kind of Cool" and the "Second Kind of Cool".  I understand perfectly what they mean when watching these YouTube reviews (Nutnfancy & The Late Boy Scout are two examples) but am hard-pressed to put it in my own words and do justice to this concept.  My (probably inferior) paraphrase is that "The First Kind of Cool" amounts to looking good and working good.  I think of the "Second Kind of Cool" as a strong attraction that can overwhelm any calm reasoned comparison.  (Tongue in cheek) On the left we have a traditional SAK with all your favorite tools plus tweezers, pick, pin & pen and on the right we have an alox with some of your tools, they lack some of your favorite tools and have none of the extras...what???  "Gimme the Alox"!!!???

Ok, I think you know what I am getting at...there is a mystical, magical attraction to Alox SAKs.  What is your opinion?  Can somebody provide a better insight into this attraction?

Thanks!

:climber:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Re: Why Choose Aluminum Oxide (Alox) SAKs?
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:25:30 PM
Alox SAKs can't hope to compete with their standard red-scaled 91mm family members either in number of models or in tool variation.  So why the Alox mania and the high collectability value?

I suppose that we could start with the superb build quality and look and feel but I think that there is more involved.  My own theory is that it has to do with the "Second Kind of Cool".  Various YouTube personalities that review knives and multi-tools sometimes talk about the "First Kind of Cool" and the "Second Kind of Cool".  I understand perfectly what they mean when watching these YouTube reviews (Nutnfancy & The Late Boy Scout are two examples) but am hard-pressed to put it in my own words and do justice to this concept.  My (probably inferior) paraphrase is that "The First Kind of Cool" amounts to looking good and working good.  I think of the "Second Kind of Cool" as a strong attraction that can overwhelm any calm reasoned comparison.  (Tongue in cheek) On the left we have a traditional SAK with all your favorite tools plus tweezers, pick, pin & pen and on the right we have an alox with some of your tools, they lack some of your favorite tools and have none of the extras...what???  "Gimme the Alox"!!!???

Ok, I think you know what I am getting at...there is a mystical, magical attraction to Alox SAKs.  What is your opinion?  Can somebody provide a better insight into this attraction?

Thanks!

:climber:
There is a lot of truth to the appeal of the high quality look and feel of alox, but another big factor for me is thickness.

sg Offline red_rider_1979

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:41:33 PM
No special insight from me, but I believe that the beefier blade in alox is responsible for its appeal over cellidor. And for many SAK users, the blade is the most used tool.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 10:46:48 PM
I call myself aloxoholic. Spontaneously a few pros:  (my opinion)

:tu: More robust.
 :tu: More beautiful
 :tu: No back tools. Therefore much more elegant and comfortable in the hand
 :tu: I just like the material! Simple aluminum which is refined by annodisation
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 11:09:38 PM
Back in the days when my only SAK was a Climber - and I didn't even know it was called that - I saw a small metal penknife at a friend's house. I picked it up, looked at it with some abhorrence and put it back on the table, saying "Blimey! What a boring knife! It doesn't even have scissors!"
Of course it was an Alox Cadet, which is today one of my favourite SAKs; I suppose if it had been coloured Alox I might have been more impressed but at the time Alox did nothing all for me. Nowadays it's kind of the opposite. Red cellidor I find increasingly boring and the principle sensation that follows any new purchase is disappointment. "Oooh! A Fieldmaster! Exactly the same as the Huntsman, but.....without a corkscrew! Now my life is complete...!"
I suppose Alox is just as likely to lead to diminishing returns - I have 3 Pioneer X's and the first was definitely more exciting than the third - but at least with Alox you know these things will last a lifetime and still look great. The same could be said of cellidor, I know, but Alox looks a bit more serious than cellidor.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 11:14:12 PM
+1, and I'll add the military connection, especially the soldiers! 
I call myself aloxoholic. Spontaneously a few pros:  (my opinion)

:tu: More robust.
 :tu: More beautiful
 :tu: No back tools. Therefore much more elegant and comfortable in the hand
 :tu: I just like the material! Simple aluminum which is refined by annodisation
Barry

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 11:22:25 PM
They rock.... 

:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 11:42:09 PM
They have no special effect on me. There fit and is no better than that of a 91 and they seriously lack tools and no back side tools. On the other hand, they are built like a tank.
Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 11:45:27 PM
They rock.... 

Robert for the win!

It's just the feel of the damn things
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 11:45:36 PM
The alox knives are direct descendants of the Soldier, they're the real thing. That may explain their popularity at least partially.

BTW I don't think my Carver "seriously lacks tools", even though I might want to carry another SAK with scissors and openers.
DSC04435-carry.jpg
* DSC04435-carry.jpg (Filesize: 291.22 KB)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:54:29 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 01:24:26 AM
If I got anything from the Minimum challenge, it's that the Alox knives have everything I really need.  The only thing I might add would be the saw, and the Farmer takes care of that!  That being said, one of my dream knives is an Aloxplorer  :drool: !!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:28:04 AM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 01:44:11 AM
Just buy one. You'll soon see.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 01:51:12 AM
What?  No one mentioned the far superior inline awl? ???

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 01:58:38 AM
They rock.... 

Robert for the win!

It's just the feel of the damn things

:rofl:  and +100!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 02:18:36 AM
Alox SAKs are just elegant in all their aspects. Their craftsmanship is evident no matter where you look. They don't have scales covering possible imperfections. Instead the whole design of the knife works to complete it from one side to the other.
Starting with the texture that aids in grip to the aluminum scale which sandwiches the whole knife together. The pins break up the scales a bit but are needed to hold the knife together. The only embellishment is the shield/cross on one scale. It's a true tale of form and function meeting beautifully.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 02:28:04 AM
Why choose Alox:

Beefier blade... superior awl... descendant of the soldiers knife... slim but robust construction... mystical feel... of course everyone mentioned these...

Oh I forgot, it comes in a variety of colors...

Lack of tools? Well 93mm alox have blades not found on other tools (electrician and pruner)... Not much variety? not a problem... just hack it to your liking...

Some day, I hope to make me own aloxpedition... Just saving up for it... requires soo many donors... :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 02:31:19 AM
though I think ALOX SAKs are amazing, I am more fond of the non ALOX SAKs.
yes the ALOX is superior in many aspects, but I am a fan of high tool count. 
and in my field a CyberTool is king.

now if I could find an ALOX CT41'ish SAK,  then I would change my tune quickly.  I do like the beefier tools on the ALOX (93mm ones), but for my line of work, that is not enough to sway me.
also I am a budget collector, no +B, no limited editions,  etc, etc.  I usually am super happy with things like a $16 used Explorer (like I just bought the other day)  if I was a serious ALOX collector, I would probably only have 8 SAKs    :facepalm:
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 02:31:52 AM

Actually, I have two with one more on the way (Pioneer X, Cadet & MiniChamp II).  I know why I like them but thought I would solicit other opinions especially in the light of the collectability aspect.  Additionally, among those who collect, they seem to have very large collections (at least, that is my impression).

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 02:56:42 AM
No plastic!  Thats what initially attracted me to alox.  But now that I can Ti convert the 91s Im happier with that frame.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 03:05:58 AM

Actually, I have two with one more on the way (Pioneer X, Cadet & MiniChamp II).  I know why I like them but thought I would solicit other opinions especially in the light of the collectability aspect.  Additionally, among those who collect, they seem to have very large collections (at least, that is my impression).
Gotcha. Can't help you then bud. I'm a user.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 04:49:35 AM
I carried my Ranger and SI today and the one I kept reaching for in my pocket was the SI :think: It was for the blade the few times today that I needed to sharpen my pencil, the blade is just so awesome on the 93mm line and of course as was said above by Mr. Whippy the inline awl is so so awlsome :D

I have a PX and a Electrician + and I love both of those as well  :cheers: If I had the Ranger with an inline Phillips and inline awl then I would trade them all though :whistle: :D

Probably not but they wouldn't get as much use :D

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 04:44:30 PM
I only had alox models for like 2 or 3 months, only an alox classic and a pioneer. Bought the classic for the keychain because it's tough and thin, and the pioneer i bought because i just wanted to have one. However i would very much prefer the old cross (silver) models, with no keyring. I wish i could find one of them, it looks a lot more "military" than the current pioneer.
But i still would never trade any of my red cellidor models for alox for edc (main full size sak, that is...), even if the alox ones are tougher they still don´t look "Sak enough" to me, but more just like a regular but great quality pocket knife.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:45:44 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 04:52:06 PM
I'm not bothered about coloured alox etc but the SI screams design classic at me. I appreciate the beefier tools (although they probably don't improve performance much over the cellidor models). The alox scales, hollow rivet and in-line awl are the main advantages as far as I'm concerned. The awl is so useful and kick ass that I have modded 2 cellidor models to incorporate one.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 05:07:27 PM
 :2tu: Right on Mags! 
Barry

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 05:09:39 PM
I think Pikachu's jealous of the SI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 05:12:40 PM
I thought I noticed that as well Jaya!  :whistle: :whistle:
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 05:13:33 PM
In a word, FEEL.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 06:43:34 PM
I just experienced that Aloha.  I'm packing an SI today and took it out to cut something.  I never really noticed how SOLID this knife felt before.  They really are beasts!!
1487871792714.jpg
* 1487871792714.jpg (Filesize: 117.04 KB)
Barry

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 06:44:46 PM
I just experienced that Aloha.  I'm packing an SI today and took it out to cut something.  I never really noticed how SOLID this knife felt before.  They really are beasts!!
:cheers: Here's to the beasts!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 06:46:08 PM

+1   Good pic too bro!!!  :cheers: :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62