Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Things like this really infuriate me!!!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
on: February 23, 2017, 11:45:23 AM
I've been wondering around e-bay looking at used Sak's just to be disappointed by some offers i see from some guys. I mean, do these guys think people are stupid or is it just plain old greed???  :rant: :twak:

Take a look at this one, just a basic 80's small tinker with a belt pouch in fair condition for it's age for $60!!!! Is this guy nuts??? $60 for a small tinker??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Swiss-Officers-Tinker-Tool-Knife-10-tools-Complete-W-Bail-In-Case-/361538117246?hash=item542d59de7e:g:El4AAOSwXj5XFvOh

Do people actually buy stuff like this at this prices??

Here's another one for $39!!??   Really???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Pocket-Folding-Knife-Officer-10-Tool-8-Part-Red-Case/231615066466?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41393%26meid%3D7b3cfe47f3114deb939888ddfc030db0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D361538117246

Well maybe i should sell my 80's small tinker at these prices, it's in a much better shape. Hell i could buy a brand new explorer and tinker (or spartan) for $60!!

Anyway... sorry for the rant... just venting a bit... :rant:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:54:13 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Re: Things like this really infuriate me!!!
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:49:43 AM
 :td: :doh:

:D
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:51:33 AM

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:58:25 AM
You are so not alone...

Thank God i'm not alone and a lot of that guys think this is insane (bordering on insult to one's intelligence). Thank's haven't noticed that topic yet i guess...

I really can't stand smart ass greedy people!! I remember buying my two 80's small tinkers in almost new condition in the likes of 2007/08 with shipping fees from the USA to Europe for like $15 total!

Hopefully, one still find's some decent stuff in the middle of all the craziness, this early 90's brand new in box super tinker with screw type scissor's is at a great starting bid ($9,99), too bad the seller only ships to USA or i would probably make a bid or two  :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Super-Tinker-91mm-W-Box-post-1991-model-/232246013268?hash=item3612f0ed54:g:fTQAAOSw4A5Yqf0y#shpCntId
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:08:01 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 12:07:20 PM
I don't really have a problem with sellers asking high prices, it's a free market. If the price is too high, I don't buy it. As long as you provide full and fair information about what you're selling. If you try to lure people into paying a lot of money for something by giving false or incomplete information and making them believe the item is something it's not, you're a scammer.

In this case the ad states "with bail in case", but it doesn't have a bail and the case is for a Leatherman  ::)
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 12:11:53 PM
I agree with you somewhat
But 2007? That's 10yrs ago mate!
I started collecting 2012..looking back stuff was far far cheaper then!

P.S have you seen the truly extrodinary prices Wenger Rangers are selling for at present!!
I'm stunned
Pink Rangers/ Scout Ranger... well above €100 (sure it was €130!!!!) saw a Snow Ranger listed yesterday at €300!!!

:o

Seems like there's a whole new generation of collectors emerging with very deep pockets!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 12:25:29 PM
My favourite is when SAKs that are still available (say, coloured Pioneer X's from Schweizermessershop) turn up on ebay Germany for double the original price.
"RARE!" in the item description is almost always shorthand for "BUY THIS IF YOU ARE AN IDIOT!"

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:27:50 PM
P.S have you seen the truly extrodinary prices Wenger Rangers are selling for at present!!
I'm stunned
Pink Rangers/ Scout Ranger... well above €100 (sure it was €130!!!!) saw a Snow Ranger listed yesterday at €300!!!

This is great news for you - didn't you amass the mother of all Wenger collections?
I remember buying my Wenger Snow Beast for 35 euros.... Wish I'd hoarded a whole bunch of them.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 12:38:27 PM
I don't really have a problem with sellers asking high prices, it's a free market. If the price is too high, I don't buy it. As long as you provide full and fair information about what you're selling. If you try to lure people into paying a lot of money for something by giving false or incomplete information and making them believe the item is something it's not, you're a scammer.

In this case the ad states "with bail in case", but it doesn't have a bail and the case is for a Leatherman  ::)

While i understand your point, i personally DO have a problem with sellers asking high prices for things that are not worth half that price. I believe in fairness (aparently a strange foreign value these days... like a lot of things BTW...) Just because you are not tricking anyone as to the description of the item it doesn't make it morally correct or valid asking an absurd amount for something for the sole reason that you can, and because there is maybe someone crazy enough to buy it! This is not even considered a "rare" or "colector's" item, it's just plain old unshameful greed, period! Sorry if it offends anyone, but it's my opinion.

I agree with you somewhat
But 2007? That's 10yrs ago mate!
I started collecting 2012..looking back stuff was far far cheaper then!

I'm stunned

:o

Seems like there's a whole new generation of collectors emerging with very deep pockets!

What do you mean "But 2007? That's 10yrs ago mate!"? That was like "yesterday" for me mate not like "a long time ago". Hell, the 90's where just like the "day before yesterday" for me for that matter. It doesn't make it more valid to ask for prices like this because it's 10 years later...

Maybe i'm getting old, but i'm growing more and more disgusted with the state this world is going to in values and morals...

I agree totally with your last comment: " there's a whole new generation of collectors emerging with very deep pockets"

On a final note, i have nothing against collectors and i totally respect that hobby, but the pure concept of it is something i will never understand nor will it ever work out for me.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:40:47 PM by MacGyver »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 01:06:36 PM
I'm stunned

This is great news for you - didn't you amass the mother of all Wenger collections?
I remember buying my Wenger Snow Beast for 35 euros.... Wish I'd hoarded a whole bunch of them.

Yes and No
I have between 70-80 Rangers but the few I'm missing will command ridiculous prices.
I remember dithering on the Pink Ranger years back, waited til the price dropped in my Amazon basket (£19.00 ? I think) .....and then I thought I'd wasted my money. Saving grace is I went hunting for the rest of the Pink models and picked up the 4 smaller models from Eastern Europe
Cost me a damn fortune that - so hopefully it's evened out...hopefully :facepalm:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 01:12:03 PM

I have between 70-80 Rangers
:sa:        <---- first time I've resorted to the "shock and awe" smiley..

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 01:19:43 PM

Lol, I deliberately went after the Rangers because I thought it would be easier than the 85mm. After 120 years production, collecting 85's would take several lifetimes.

Looking at the Wenger catalogues on SAKWiki, I think I'm just 2 or 3 missing.

The hard ones are those that were limited to Europe
59 Hunter
97 Snow
Ranger 64

And not forgetting SpearFishing championship model (181??)

....and finally my personal Holy Grail the ultra ultra rare Alinghi Ranger - only 12 ever made I believe!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:30:18 PM by tosh »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 01:27:21 PM
I remember thinking you're mad as a hatter spending all that money on Wengers..... but as it turns out you've probably made a fantastic investment.

:salute:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 01:35:42 PM

Lol, I deliberately went after the Rangers because I thought it would be easier than the 85mm. After 120 years production, collecting 85's would take several lifetimes.

Looking at the Wenger catalogues on SAKWiki, I think I'm just 2 or 3 missing.

The hard ones are those that were limited to Europe
59 Hunter
97 Snow
Ranger 64

And not forgetting SpearFishing championship model (181??)

....and finally my personal Holy Grail the ultra ultra rare Alinghi Ranger - only 12 ever made I believe!
I wanted to get in to collecting Rangers last year when I purchased my first one NIB for 40 bucks but was drove away by the price when I started looking up prices. It is kind of ridiculous but hey if the quantity demanded is there the price will be too.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 01:38:16 PM
I agree with glen. It's a free market. If someone wants to pay high dollar for something that can be had cheaper it's on them. They shoulda done their research. I simply keep scrolling. Often times you see those same items get re listed for lower and lower prices.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 01:53:09 PM
I agree with glen. It's a free market. If someone wants to pay high dollar for something that can be had cheaper it's on them. They shoulda done their research. I simply keep scrolling. Often times you see those same items get re listed for lower and lower prices.

Great advice--keep scrolling!!!

Those of us with an innate sense of fairness frequently struggle with unfairness.  These e-bay price gougers may be ignorant, greedy or just plain delusional but it just isn't worth getting upset about...create a search sorted by lowest price first or just keep scrolling. :)

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 02:05:23 PM

Those of us with an innate sense of fairness frequently struggle with unfairness.  These e-bay price gougers may be ignorant, greedy or just plain delusional but it just isn't worth getting upset about...create a search sorted by lowest price first or just keep scrolling. :)

+1 great advice. Good way of putting it! If consumers make themselves aware of the equilibrium prices before making a purchase, the sellers that are offering the goods at a ridiculous premium won't be able to make a sale and will either withdraw their offerings or lower their prices. If consumers choose not to do their research, it is their own fault that they are getting ripped off.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 02:09:45 PM

Yeah you guys are right  :) but the lack of principles that a lot of people have these days really get to me at times.

Check this situation out, that happened with me yesterday for example: Saw a company logo scaled huntsman in very good shape the other day on second hand market site, it included the Sak, Vic's leather pouch with company logo too, a small flashlight and a small ruler with a compass, mag glass and thermometer, all for 18€. It looked like a good deal so i called the guy up and talked about the item, he agreed to meet me yesterday at a given time and place to see and possibly buy it from him.
The guy never showed up or call, i called him didn't answer, waited for some feedback till the end of the day, no go, texted him saying i'm no longer interested, no reply at all! Saw the listing again on the site, he changed the price to 39€!! Checked it again today, changed again to 35€!!!

Absolutely no respect or integrity at all!! And this really pisses me off, but it's the current world we live in unfortunately...  >:(
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:12:25 PM by MacGyver »

Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 02:30:27 PM

Yeah you guys are right  :) but the lack of principles that a lot of people have these days really get to me at times.

Check this situation out, that happened with me yesterday for example: Saw a company logo scaled huntsman in very good shape the other day on second hand market site, it included the Sak, Vic's leather pouch with company logo too, a small flashlight and a small ruler with a compass, mag glass and thermometer, all for 18€. It looked like a good deal so i called the guy up and talked about the item, he agreed to meet me yesterday at a given time and place to see and possibly buy it from him.
The guy never showed up or call, i called him didn't answer, waited for some feedback till the end of the day, no go, texted him saying i'm no longer interested, no reply at all! Saw the listing again on the site, he changed the price to 39€!! Checked it again today, changed again to 35€!!!

Absolutely no respect or integrity at all!! And this really pisses me off, but it's the current world we live in unfortunately...  >:(

I completely agree with you. I would never do such a thing and when I see these things happening, or when it happens to myself, it really pisses me off.

All I was saying is I don't get myself upset about high prices. Nothing you can do about it, other than keep scrolling. Getting upset about it is like fighting windmills  :D

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 03:27:34 PM

Well, you can always entertain yourself with quotes...

"How can I soar like an eagle when I am surrounded by turkeys?"  -- Unknown (Greeting Card)

If you had a chance to confront the turkeys, pass and think of Shaw's famous line:

"Never wrestle a pig, you both get dirty and the pig likes it!"  -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 03:51:08 PM

Well, you can always entertain yourself with quotes...

"How can I soar like an eagle when I am surrounded by turkeys?"  -- Unknown (Greeting Card)

If you had a chance to confront the turkeys, pass and think of Shaw's famous line:

"Never wrestle a pig, you both get dirty and the pig likes it!"  -- George Bernard Shaw

:2tu:

^-- where the cat sits

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31