Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Restoring Swisstool help

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Restoring Swisstool help
on: February 24, 2017, 05:27:02 PM
Hi folks,
so I got this previously owned Spirit in the mail and I was ready to restore and clean it like I've done other times with my SAKs and multitools.
But this one is beyond what I've dealt with in the past. I'd like some counseling and advice from the wise Swiss Army Knights  :salute:

Jaw tips are misaligned but close fully, scratched and really worn

Dings in body and handles, full of dents, chunks missing (0.5-2 mm)

Overused and badly sharpened blade, messed up

Snapped off medium flathead

Snapped off small flathead

plus

Really gunked up, dirt, rust, gummy substances and very gritty action
Worst of all the stuff above: incredible wiggle and play, handles are both loose and move from the axis/pivot (like a pendulum) by themselves with minimal force

Any tips, recommendations or opinions?
Much appreciated!!!    :tu:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Restoring Swisstool help
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 05:44:32 PM
I know this sounds odd but it's nice too see a tool that's been seriously used 😊 what would happen if it was sent to victorinox?   :think:

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:47:55 PM
May you rest in pieces faithful Spirit.

How can someone abuse a tool so much? Oh, the humanity  :facepalm:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

dk Offline Troels

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 08:21:15 PM
yeah its nice to see a seriously used MT  :salute:

I wonder what the large flat heads/caplifter were use for ??

For heavy use I personally go with tools  that easier to dismantle. I have no idea about the swisstools...  but they are great tools !
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:22:59 PM by Troels »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 07:24:17 AM
Nothing a quick grinding, sanding and sharpen won't fix.

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 08:17:27 AM

That's what my wife said to me the other night :dwts:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 11:44:10 AM
The awl is missing the tip too.
I've cleaned it up a bit and will grind a new point for the awl, and new flatheads. I dunno what to di about the play and wiggle, though...  :think:

Would contacting Victorinox help in any way? It's not under warranty (this kind of wear) I believe
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 12:40:59 PM
I say leave the dents and scratches as they are (maybe smooth off any areas which may be uncomfortable to handle) but fix the rest.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 12:47:09 PM
I would give it a go, and send it to Victorinox. They will most likely send you a new one.

Of you decide to fix yourself. I would say what zoidy said, and add a hammer to it. You might want to try hitting pivots to get rid of play. And a centerpunch for pliers pivot.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 06:42:46 PM
ATM I've been told to send some pictures to them, and they'll decide if warranty covers it. Fingers crossed.    :ahhh
And meanwhile I was on a cleaning spree so I got this SAK used (don't know the exact model) yesterday, let the reconditioning begin!!  :climber:

My toys:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:37 AM
It looks like that Spirit took a beating getting used on machinery? How are the locks holding up?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 12:40:27 PM
Sending a Swisstool back to Vic will set you back a max of €12 ($15) over here in Europe if it's outside of the waranty.
€5 on a small SAK and about €10 on a large SAK.
(Posted this somewhere here before)

I've send in a malicious used and "sharpened" Spartan in that I bought for a few Euro, 5 euro to Vic and it was as good as new.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 05:14:33 PM
Send it back to Victorinox, I did once and they changed almost everything.
I only pay for the shipping.
Good service.
Enjoy!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 07:14:45 PM
It looks like that Spirit took a beating getting used on machinery? How are the locks holding up?

still waiting for Victorinox's reply
Locks are as good as new!  :tu:
My toys:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 07:22:40 PM
Other than the serrations within the gripping area of the pliers............  I'd say its serviceable.  It also goes to show these tools can take a beating and come out usable.   
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline firiki

Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 11:40:26 PM

still waiting for Victorinox's reply
Locks are as good as new!  :tu:

I'm terribly sorry for the late reply!  :-[

Thank you for the info. The locks are the only potentially weak spot I see on the Spirit, it's good to know they're holding up well after some heavy use!

Did you hear from Victorinox?

gb Offline zr0dfx

Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 12:11:12 AM
I agree it's good to see a tool so throughly used! I think victorinox would like to get it back and put in some kind of display.

Can't wait to hear what they said.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 04:48:26 PM
their reply three days ago was very polite and well written, but not what I expected. They told me that I had to send them the tool (shipping costs at my expense of course) and they'd send it to Vic's Maintenance dept (since they weren't able to solve the issue by themselves or by their means) and then I'd be given an estimated cost for the repair.

Obviously I said no thanks and will keep the tool as is.
Too much time and hassle, and $, for a tool that's still in working condition!  :pok:

My toys:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 07:01:02 PM
their reply three days ago was very polite and well written, but not what I expected. They told me that I had to send them the tool (shipping costs at my expense of course) and they'd send it to Vic's Maintenance dept (since they weren't able to solve the issue by themselves or by their means) and then I'd be given an estimated cost for the repair.

Too much time and hassle, and $, for a tool that's still in working condition!  :pok:
That's what they told me on a raped Spartan, paid €5 postage in the end...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G388F met Tapatalk

gb Offline zr0dfx

Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 07:25:29 PM
If it were me I would take the chance... I am guessing you could say no if you thought it would cost to much to fix.
 :cheers:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 09:06:33 PM
I think there's a minimum charge for repair jobs on Swisstools, €12 if I remember correctly?

So that Spirit is still useable? I get the impression the pliers teeth are quite worn. What about the wiggle, is it worse than on the Swisstools?

Loose handles? :pok:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 01:02:41 PM
I think there's a minimum charge for repair jobs on Swisstools, €12 if I remember correctly?

So that Spirit is still useable? I get the impression the pliers teeth are quite worn. What about the wiggle, is it worse than on the Swisstools?

Hammer.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 07:16:16 PM

15€ minimum they told me yesterday, add to that the shipping costs, waiting time...
Handles do wiggle and dance around a bit, misaligned plier jaws (1-2 mm) and general rattling sounds and loose feeling.

But I'll live with that   :ahhh
My toys:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 09:48:23 PM

15€ minimum they told me yesterday, add to that the shipping costs, waiting time...
Handles do wiggle and dance around a bit, misaligned plier jaws (1-2 mm) and general rattling sounds and loose feeling.

I never send it to Vic myself.
I hand it in at a retailer, who sends it back with it's suplier.
Takes longer, but no shipping cost, just the "maintenance cost".

gr Offline firiki

Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 10:10:38 PM
I never send it to Vic myself.
I hand it in at a retailer, who sends it back with it's suplier.
Takes longer, but no shipping cost, just the "maintenance cost".

I've only sent in a SAK once, through the distrubutor chain. I paid them €5 however.

The crazy part is it took three months for it to get back and it still had the same issue, main blade hitting the spacer! I was kind of surprised. I know it was opened because they had replaced a damaged liner. Some sharpening later and no more hitting the liner  >:D  :facepalm:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 10:11:52 PM

So, this one is going to become your bitter Spirit?

I'll see my way out :D

gr Offline firiki

Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 10:17:02 PM

Hammer.

Was that a noun or a verb :think:  :P

Obviously, that would be the first choice. Having noticed some lateral play on my Spirit I wondered what happens if I tighen it up too much through this delicate procedure. I guess breaking it loose again through use is the answer.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 12:04:29 AM

Hammer.

Obviously, that would be the first choice. Having noticed some lateral play on my Spirit I wondered what happens if I tighen it up too much through this delicate procedure. I guess breaking it loose again through use is the answer.

Yeah use a lightweight hammer, lots of little taps, checking often.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 12:11:18 AM

Hammer.

Yeah use a lightweight hammer, lots of little taps, checking often.

:tu:  :salute:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 07:41:03 PM

I have an original Swisstool that got a little play in the blades, so I put it in a vise and squeezed it in the area of the rivets a little at a time and kept checking it until it was just right and it works fine now. I put some cloth around it so the vise would not scratch the rivets. You might give it a try.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%