Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dismantling Leatherman Tools(Winning The War on Knurled Knobs)

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Seeing Kwakster's specialized tools got me thinking  :think:. Sponny's (spoonrobot) excellent posthttp://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4655.0.html and Goldy(Goldmeister) terrific ideas in the same post proved the inspiration to me doing the modified Spoony socket. Instead of using the whack the bejeebers out of the socket with a hammer to imprint the knurled profile into the socket I have modified the Spoon process by using a vice to push the socket over the knurled fastener and thus create my own Leatherman like socket.
To start with you need to buy a CHEAP socket set ideally a combined Metric/Imperial set.The cheap ones tend to have odd ball sizing like 5.5 & 6.5mm sockets which are ideal. My set cost $8Aus from a Automotive parts/miscellaneous junk chain store called Super Cheap.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/ac9c9c44.jpg[/img]]
I used everyone's favorite tool Duct tape extensively. Firstly I used tape  on the side of the LM that was going  against the vice , with double layer over the knurled fasteners, like this 
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/b1ef0010.jpg[/img]]
I also put some tape on the vices face that was going against the MT. I then lined the MT up so that the knurled fastener I wanted to get a imprint of was bang in the middle of the vice , I then secured the MT in this position with duct tape , that gives you a free hand to position the socket and turn the vice at the same time. Like this, sorry this pic is not the best.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/0cedafb9.jpg[/img]]
The most important stage is the first contact , you have to turn the vice very slightly till the socket kisses the knurled  fastener. You can back off & re align if the two are not lined up perfectly like this
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/adcd1351.jpg[/img]]
It is important to get the initial line up as close as possible before taking the leap and tightening the vice up. I used my Fuse mostly + my PST & Micra for the process . I was surprised at the amount of force required to consummate the union. I could not detect any harm to the MT's post squeezing but I guess it is possible if you go nuts(I just went partially nuts :D) Here is the loving couple.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/2e3fac83.jpg[/img]]
A family shot, I did have to make make some more the next day as 2 did not work too well.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/c0bf5917.jpg[/img]]
Here is one of the two Micra sockets.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/1123ee29.jpg[/img]]
Socket sizing
Micra=  3/16 +4.5mm (other sizes would probably work as well)
PST,Pulse + other MT's that have 6mm diameter fasteners =6mm +7/32
The pliers end fashioners are a bit larger between 6.5-7.0mm wide & are found on many models=6.5mm +1/4
The 6 sockets above cover all  LM knurled fashioners, but other sizes would probably work too.
I am keen to do some modding and maintenance on my LM's , last night I tried out the sockets on a Micra & ST200 they worked well , Ideally you would have a spanner like tool + a socket as it is a little awkward using 2 sockets at a time . Again sorry pics not the best
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/ce0e3cf6.jpg[/img]]
OK. THE PROS ; they work , my LM's will not get damaged(can happen with vice grips)  , I do not need to wait for Kwakster's tools to make it to OZ, cheap to make .
THE CONS ; If you use good quality sockets (ie hard) you can Roger the fastener and not have a mod tool.I tried a Sidecrome(Australian tool making institution) & this happened
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/12619a69.jpg[/img]]
Interestingly this great Australian socket was made in Taiwan  >:(
Given you have to use softer sockets I do not know how long they will last :think:
In my quest to make a spanner like tool I went a bit silly and my vice went, Snap , Crackle & Fu#ked  :-[ :(
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/4c11f898.jpg[/img]]
I tried Spoony method & just could not get the socket to sit when hitting it with the hammer . I tried making the socket red hot & hitting it with a hammer & no luck.I tried using a G clamp with marginal success(socket tended to slip & then spin >:( ). This method does work ,I would be interested to hear how people go if they chose to give this way a go. Thanks to Spoonrobot & Goldmeister for their good ideas.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Re: Dismantling Leatherman Tools(Winning The War on Knurled Knobs)
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 05:28:24 PM
Excellent!  :salute:  :cheers:
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:06:31 PM
Great tutorial mate :cheers:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:08:37 PM
Good work Mat - I must have a go at this sometime.

I used to come here a lot.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:40:13 PM
You know, bashing the knurled heads into a regular hex shape isn't such a bad idea either...
[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:30:51 PM
Sidecrome(Australian tool making institution)

Until they were bought out by Stanley and they started making tools in taiwan.

I'm off to by a SupaTool set from the auto store!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 03:44:38 AM
Great job MM :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: The pics look of fine quality to me ;) I am gonna have to get some cheap bit and try this myself :o :D :D :D

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 03:46:31 AM
Alright, lets see what type of odd fastener Leatherman comes out with next to thwart us!

This thread makes me wish I didn't sell my Blast and Kick :(
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 03:50:32 AM
Great bit of work there Mat! :cheers:

You know, bashing the knurled heads into a regular hex shape isn't such a bad idea either...

Hehe, that's funny :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 03:23:54 PM
Add it , I have found if the knurled imprint is not perfect you can file the socket down & give it another go(Surge's file worked well). It is easy to go too quick and bugger it up . So the best way is go slow :D.

PS ideas on getting the broken bolt shafts out of my vice so I can put new bolts in. I was thinking of using my dad's drill press & using something like Eazy outs? I have not used this before any tips ? It is funny I have had that vice for 3 years & not really used it much until I needed to make these sockets & decided to finally mount it properly under a week ago  ::) :D

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 07:36:44 PM
If you need soft sockets, heat one up till magnet doesn't stick then throw it in some non-flammable insulator and let it cool down slowly.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 05:48:30 AM
Add it , I have found if the knurled imprint is not perfect you can file the socket down & give it another go(Surge's file worked well). It is easy to go too quick and bugger it up . So the best way is go slow :D.

PS ideas on getting the broken bolt shafts out of my vice so I can put new bolts in. I was thinking of using my dad's drill press & using something like Eazy outs? I have not used this before any tips ? It is funny I have had that vice for 3 years & not really used it much until I needed to make these sockets & decided to finally mount it properly under a week ago  ::) :D

You'll be needing to use eazy outs on that vice Mat. Generally they are sold as a 3-piece or 5-piece set. Even better would be if you could borrow a set from someone, as you are unlikely to use them very often.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 06:02:28 AM
Thanks Bob , my research tells me cheap stud removers are not great for the job & like you said I probably will not need the kit ever again so buying a expensive kit not good sense . Now who do I know who might have some :think:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
THREAD NECRO!

this is very nice
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
I remember reading this awhile back. Useful information.

us Offline detron

I bought 2 sets of "testing" sockets.  these are the pinnacle Dollar Tree tools    :facepalm:

if these are not soft enough, then I do not know what is.  it was $1.00  :rofl:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Good luck mate  :D :D

us Offline detron

Good luck mate  :D :D

thanks!   I am excited to try this

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I like the marred fasteners, it gives it character. Really though, I should try and make some of these.

us Offline detron

I am just too cheap to buy the Vampliers for the cost of two of those, I could buy another MT or SAK   ::)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Each time I think why bother as this is the last mod I'll do.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Remember to heat the LM fastener up before trying to undo it guys , to help break the thread locker the factory puts on the threads  :tu: :tu:

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
I am just too cheap to buy the Vampliers for the cost of two of those, I could buy another MT or SAK   ::)

I had the same thought for awhile, but then I saw the generic Vampliers aka "engineer screw pliers" on a good sale on amazon and pulled the trigger. :tu:

Each time I think why bother as this is the last mod I'll do.

You're not the only one... I kept having the same thought. :facepalm:

I'm glad I finally broke down and bought the engineer screw pliers; they've already proven their value.

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
I bought 2 sets of "testing" sockets.  these are the pinnacle Dollar Tree tools    :facepalm:

if these are not soft enough, then I do not know what is.  it was $1.00  :rofl:

(Image removed from quote.)

Waiting with bated breath.

us Offline detron

me too,   :facepalm:  Life keeps jumping up and blocking my path.  maybe tomorrow.

Offline jdindadell

I used 2 pair of SOG power lock pliers to take apart my rebar and blast.  Geared heads plus the fine teeth on the SOG worked great.

us Offline detron

well, I tried to make my custom sockets.

the thing I learned is that my little vise has some kind of cardboard back instead of steel   :facepalm:

socket sunk into the fiberous backing   :facepalm:

so I took my Rebar apart with small vise-grips.  only minor damage to knurled knobs

us Offline detron

I tried a different approach  Here

Which failed!   :facepalm:  oh well, it was fun
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:51:41 AM by detron »

nz Offline RimfireNZ

What were those sockets made out of? Lead? Sponge? I tried with some spare old sockets lying around and I couldn't even dent them!

I ended up talking to my girlfriends dad (who has a lathe) and we made these out of a bit of steel bar. We pressed them partially on with the vice, but even with this lightweight metal it struggled so we had to thin it down and give it a whack with a hammer on an anvil to get it nicely sat.

They don't have a nice quarter inch drive hole on them though :P

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Short story shorter.
Pressing it in a vice did nothing...  hitting it with a hammer on the vice did.
Works like a bought one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD