Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pictures of some old Multi-Gadgets

J-sews · 38 · 11296

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Pictures of some old Multi-Gadgets
on: October 27, 2008, 03:05:56 AM

None of these tools are related really, they were just some I've accumulated recently. Generally these old gadgets have several decades of grime built up by the time they find their way into my clutches. First thing they get from me is a good scrubbing and going over. After a hectic summer I had this group backed up at the cleaning bench, but with today's all-day rain I managed to get caught up. Decided to take a few pics before they get archived.

Hoffritz scissors
Not a multitool, but the butterfly folding method is very Leatherman-esque. Exact age unknown, but they appear in an early-1970's Hoffritz catalog.

Utica Cutlery blade-changer
An ordinary single blade folding knife, with interchangable tools. Several different firms in Europe and the United States produced similar models. This is the only one I've ever seen with an adjustable wrench head. (shown in the first photo)

Made In Occupied Japan
Those are the only markings on this gizmo. It has a knife, a flathead screwdriver, a can opener, a cap lifter, and some sort of other pokey thing. The blades lock open or lock closed by a clever little sliding crossbolt:

Cattaraugus 1W wrench knife
....not to be confused with the model 3W, which had a combination blade instead of the awl.

Kaufmann kitchen shears
Made in Germany before WWII. Spring loaded shears with a folding corkscrew, a cap lifter, and a strange sort of ratcheting can opener.

Latama tape measure knife
Italian made gadget with a 36-inch / 90mm steel measuring tape. (tape itself says Made in Germany)
pen knife blade, nail file, and scissors.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:07:42 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Pictures of some old Multi-Gadgets
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 03:15:43 AM
Oooh... I like the Latama! 

The other pokey thingy on the "Made in Occupied Japan" one looks like a Divot Tool for golfers... Did they Golf much in Occupied Japan?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:37:26 AM
The tool in the top row between the Latama,and the one marked "Made in occupied Japan",reminds me some of the combo tool that was made for use with Springfield Trapdoors.Do you have any background on it?
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 03:49:11 AM
The tool in the top row between the Latama,and the one marked "Made in occupied Japan",reminds me some of the combo tool that was made for use with Springfield Trapdoors.Do you have any background on it?

Not much I'm afraid. :-\  The only logo is this stylized word Torpedo

So Bob do you think this is a trapdoor tool?

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 03:59:56 AM
No,it it isn't for Trapdoors,but it certainly looks like it was made for some type of firearm.

The 2 tools here were made for Trapdoors,you can see some similarity in design
springfield tools.jpg
* springfield tools.jpg (Filesize: 15.03 KB)
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 07:06:10 AM
Nice collection Bob :)

I really like the Made In Occupied Japan one, I wonder what the inspiration was for it :think:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 09:02:10 AM
Great collection.  I'm not sure how much I would trust a hammer where the head and handle are two pieces though.:o
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 11:26:24 AM
Interesting lot there Bob.  :)
I'm back!!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 01:00:12 PM
Great group of tools Bob.Ace pics too mate.Nice. :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 01:58:46 PM
What a fantastic collection of oddities.  Thanks for taking the time to share them, they're great.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 03:36:49 PM
Any info on that fixed head plier tool on the bottom of the first photo?  Second one in, after the 1w?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 03:37:25 PM
I think the divot tool is a can opener.
(

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 12:42:11 AM
Any info on that fixed head plier tool on the bottom of the first photo?  Second one in, after the 1w?

Def

I'm interested in that one to...
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 03:04:47 AM
Great collection.  I'm not sure how much I would trust a hammer where the head and handle are two pieces though.:o

Yah, I hear what you're saying. Those old blade-exchangers certainly were not the sturdiest tools in the shed. What is surprising though is how many different firms produced them, and how similar they were. Several cutlery outfits in Solingen Germany and Sheffield England manufactured knives with various interchangable blades, usually packaged up in a little leather pouch for travel. Knifemakers in the USA followed suit. It seems like there is always one or more for sale on fleabay.

Here's a similar example made by the Aerial Cutlery company of Marinette Wisconsin:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 03:36:47 AM

I wondered about that too AmLoPi. But how exactly would it do that? :think: 

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 06:39:30 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Its just a guess, I have seen some old pocket knives before with that tool on them and I was told it was a can opener.
(

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 05:22:41 PM

Its just a guess, I have seen some old pocket knives before with that tool on them and I was told it was a can opener.
Well I know what my 2 cents are worth but here they are anyway. Since there already is a can opener on this device I would think this divot looking device is probably a fork/knife edge combo. The sharpened edge of 1 of the tines and a lack of any knife like cutter makes this seem plausible.  :think: :pok:

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 05:44:34 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/jooliesews/Bobbys/old%20tools/oldtools9.jpg

I had read somewhere that those kind of forks, if they are not removable from the tool; are for holding cigars so they can be smoked to the very stub.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 08:14:28 PM

I'm just wondering how I got to be 40 years old before I realised what is missing from my life.  :drool:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 03:02:35 AM
Nice set you have there Bob :tu: and great pics as usual :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 03:07:02 AM

I'm just wondering how I got to be 40 years old before I realised what is missing from my life.  :drool:

A cigar poker fork? ??? :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 03:30:23 AM

Def

I'm interested in that one to...

That there 'un is a genuine Hi-Test tool, made in Japan in the late 1960's. It kinda reminds me of the SOG ToolClip of a couple decades later. Quality isn't nearly so good as the ToolClip though. Back then "Made in Japan" meant about the same as "Made in China" does today. :P

One thing I found rather interesting about it is the metal finishing. The entire tool has been plated, presumably with nickel or chrome to keep it from rusting. (the base metal underneath is just regular carbon steel) But in places where the plating has been worn off there is a thin layer of copper underneath.....?

Copper? Must be they had to first plate the tool with copper in order for the top layer of nickel to stick? :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 03:47:55 AM
Seems like an awful lot of trouble to keep it from rusting ::)

:think: Looks like they should have forgone those steps and made the tool as a whole better

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 03:53:23 AM
Seems like an awful lot of trouble to keep it from rusting ::)

:think: Looks like they should have forgone those steps and made the tool as a whole better

I'll bet the coming of stainless steel was a real hard blow to the metal plating industry! :multi:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 02:41:00 PM
It certainly does look like it could have been an early prototype of the ToolClip! 

Maybe they should have just stuck a Swiss Army Knife in the handle!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 04:05:22 AM
It certainly does look like it could have been an early prototype of the ToolClip! 

Maybe they should have just stuck a Swiss Army Knife in the handle!  :D

Def

Yuk-yuk! :D

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 06:26:01 PM
Necro thread revival.  I just won a cool looking old Japanese MT on the bay of fleas.

I thought it looked a bit like a "homage" (ie cheap sort-of-copy/clone) to some of the 1960's German and French plier-based MTs so I went looking to see if there was any mentions on MTo.  Sure enough, the man who has collected (almost) every old plier-based MT known to modern man (ie Bob a.k.a J-sews) had photos of this tool in not one but TWO threads here on MTo.   :tu:   :salute:

That there 'un is a genuine Hi-Test tool, made in Japan in the late 1960's. It kinda reminds me of the SOG ToolClip of a couple decades later. Quality isn't nearly so good as the ToolClip though. Back then "Made in Japan" meant about the same as "Made in China" does today. :P

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 04:42:44 PM
Necro thread revival.  I just won a cool looking old Japanese MT on the bay of fleas.

I thought it looked a bit like a "homage" (ie cheap sort-of-copy/clone) to some of the 1960's German and French plier-based MTs so I went looking to see if there was any mentions on MTo.  Sure enough, the man who has collected (almost) every old plier-based MT known to modern man (ie Bob a.k.a J-sews) had photos of this tool in not one but TWO threads here on MTo.   :tu:   :salute:

I saw that one and almost bid on it.  glad too see you won it!
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 08:40:48 AM
yes the copper is used as an intermediate plating for chrome and sometimes nickel to improve adhesion.
I remember seeing a how they do it on re-plaiting classic car parts during one of those car build shows Spike TV is so fond of in Saturday mornings.

As for the fork on the Japan one it does look like an eating fork with a cutting edge. Just compare it to the 3 tine fork on the LightMyFire spork with its serrated edge.
That tool would be right up Swiss+Tech's alley as an "new" product.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 12:39:25 AM

Not much I'm afraid. :-\  The only logo is this stylized word Torpedo

So Bob do you think this is a trapdoor tool?

I just ran across this thread and was perusing it when I saw this reply.Just a guess but I think it may be a crimping tool for blasting caps.The word,"Torpedo" was what led me to this conclusion.I have a pocket knife that was marked,"The Marietta Torpedo Co" and was curious as to what the company sold.After doing some research I found that a "Torpedo" is an explosive charge used in the oil drilling industry to I beleive aid in capping a runaway well fire.
Also the tool in question bears a striking resemblance to the crimping tools used by the OSS during WWII in setting explosive charges.Those were pliers with up to six small saw blades and a knife blade attached.Sorry I don't have pictures of one.Here is a pic of the knife I was referring to.

MariettaTorpedoCo1.JPG
* MariettaTorpedoCo1.JPG (Filesize: 16.35 KB)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:53:30 AM by enki_ck »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD