Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pictures of some old Multi-Gadgets

J-sews · 38 · 11299

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Pictures of some old Multi-Gadgets
Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 01:02:53 AM
Ray, the one you're refering to is the OSS Escape knife, right?

A Joseph Rodgers tool.

This is from an old thread by j-sews

Quote from: j-sews
It had three identical saw blades, with the intention that when one got dull, the user could simply switch to the next. :salute:

(Image removed from quote.)

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 03:38:51 AM
Today we call a well torpedo "open hole fracking". It is a tin cylinder with an explosive charge of nitroglycerin that is lowered in the hole and detonated. Sometimes they were double charged with a lift charge as well, and just dropped down the hole. These were probably the inspiration for the "bouncing betty" land mine as they "Bounced" on the lift charge from the bottom to a certain depth.  This method has been obsolete for decades.
And yes you can use the blast wave to put out a fire if there are no other options but it usually ruins the well  no matter if it works or not.
There are only a couple blasters left in the USA that are skilled in this old technique.  I used to know a chemistry teacher from PA that did nitro shows and torpedo demonstrations, the old way

A well is drilled straight with smooth walls in the rock. You need to fracture the rock to get the oil to flow in.
 New methods use plastic explosives charges strung together called frack beads which are much more precise and don't deform the hole.
Hydraulic fracking in its simplest explination fills the hole with water, mineral oil , and benzene or a silk large solvent before the explosives to use hydrostatic pressure to increase the effective range of the shockwave to crack the rock.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:41:18 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 07:06:54 AM
"Silk large solvent" was supposed to be "similar solvent"
Stupid auto correct. Sorry.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 12:30:27 AM
...(Image removed from quote.)

Sorry for derailing J-sews thread.    I have a "cousin" to your knife, though the nail knicks differ.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 10:27:34 PM
If your wondering yes that is a bottle opener on the one end of that knife.
Just how I want to spend a day prying a crimped lid off a very volatile explosive.
Nitro used to be bottled in glass with stopper wad and a crimped on top just like beer and shipped in padded cells like fine whine. I have an old Nitro bottle packed some ware in storage, empty of course.
 It is interesting the engineering that went into the transport of such a volatile substance. Drake Well Museum in Titusville, Pa has a  40's dodge power wagon converted into a nitro truck and the built in boxes on the back are quite unique.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 12:47:50 AM
Thank you for the info on the well drilling;sounds like you might have worked in the field.Always willing to learn something about that which I have no knowledge.My grandfather's favorite saying was:"If you don't learn something new each day then you are probably dead".Sage advice.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 30, 2014, 09:37:47 AM
no I just grew up around it. Were I grew up there were old wells and equipment literally everywhere. Line shaft transmission in my back yard, crawlers rusting away by the creek, wood tanks rotting in the woods. The car dealership was built amongst the crumbling foundations of the Olympus Refinery. Funny how nature reclaims its own territory just fine without our "help".
But it wasn't all gone, there were still a lot of active sites left. 
Several of my friends were drillers or from drilling families so you pick things up along the way.
I actually worked manufacturing; wiring harnesses and fall protection . But I have a knack for old tools and machines.. Spent a number years of working and volunteering at local oil and industry museums, and many hours listening and learning from the old-timers. Too bad everyone now plants their faces in an I-pad and never look up.

sorry for rambling and possible hijacking this all started with a tool right?? :oops:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:40:42 AM by Noa Isumi »

us Offline beavs1965

Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 04:48:34 PM
What an awesome collection!!!  Very Cool!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%