Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Going to order a OHT

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Going to order a OHT
on: February 18, 2007, 05:35:30 AM
This seems like a universal SAK everyone into SAKs own and carry.  I sent an email to Felinevet to see if any are available...I think he has a few on ebay, but no plain ones listed on his site (there's a SOSAK version that's $50!)

Some say it's too big for EDC, some say it's just right, but all say it's quality ..I'm going to find out for myself sometime soon.

One thing I might try to add is a pocket clip...has anyone here tried installing one? 
[

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Going to order a OHT
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 06:51:01 AM
I got one for Christmas, and am finally going to give it a work out this coming weekend.  In my opinion, it's way to big for EDC... but that all depends on how much you feel like stuffing in your pocket :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 10:51:25 AM
Some say it's too big for EDC, some say it's just right, but all say it's quality ..I'm going to find out for myself sometime soon.

I don’t think that the OHT is too big for pocket carry.  The OHT is larger than the PST but about the same size as the Super Tool.  It is much lighter than both.
1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 59.96 KB)

Offline supratentorial

Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 10:52:12 AM
The fit and finish of the tool is excellent if that’s what you mean by quality but it’s lacking in other ways.

The blade is serrated. :(
4.jpg
* 4.jpg (Filesize: 49.79 KB)

Offline supratentorial

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 10:52:59 AM
It has two sizes of drivers: one is huge and the other is a little nubbin.  I use the large driver to flip flap jacks.  The little nubbin does an excellent job of stripping flat head screws and I’ve heard claims that it’ll also strip Phillips head screws.    :P
2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 36.81 KB)
3.jpg
* 3.jpg (Filesize: 36.53 KB)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 10:56:33 AM by supratentorial »

Offline supratentorial

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 10:54:10 AM
It has a nice dedicated Phillips driver but you’ll have to clear everyone from the room so that there’s enough clearance to use it.  ;)
5.jpg
* 5.jpg (Filesize: 47.77 KB)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 10:56:45 AM by supratentorial »

Offline aksd

Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 11:00:16 AM
I've just purchased a Trekker, not the OHT but the regular trekker and I carry it everyday as my EDC. It is a bit large, but the larger blade and more sturdy bottle opener/screw driver is a boon. My only fear is that if I remove it the size of the blade should'nt freak out the general populace :). Trust me, you wont regret buying the OHT, wish the OHT was available in India.

Regards,
Akshay

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 11:54:51 AM
is it against the law in india, the one hand opening?

the plain edge versions where an limited run made for me, maybe next june i can get another run. the clip question will be solved soon, cant tell more jet, will post as soon i get the first one.

more infos about the plain edge stayglow oht is on www.sosakonline.com

Offline aksd

Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 12:01:42 PM
No, its not against the law, but Victorinox do not have many models available in India. We dont even get te Soldier/Pioneer or Farmer, this is about all we get.

http://www.victorinoxindia.com/products_pocket%20knives_multi%20purpose_all.htm

Mr. B, why dont Victorinox produce the One Handed plain edge knives on a large scale, Im sure they would sell quite a bit, they should have a seperate blade with a serrated edge, something like a Hunter, or parachutist, very convenient.

Regards,
Akshay

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 12:44:50 PM
The plain edged OHT's aren't available anywhere, except rarely from SwissBianco!  The top two in this pic are factory issue plain edges and the bottom one was modded to a plain edge, then modded further into a recurve blade.

Victorinox doesn't make a plain edge as this is a civilianized version of the new design of the German Army Issue knife.  They had to make a one handed opening model to keep the contract, otherwise we likely wouldn't have any OH models at all.

If you want to remove the serrations on your OHT, see this article:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=35

There is lots more info on the OHT on SOSAKOnline for folks who are interested.

Def
OHT.JPG
* OHT.JPG (Filesize: 70.45 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 12:52:44 PM
shipping to india is no problem if an oht etc etc is legal there. i offer help as good i can.

Offline aksd

Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 01:20:45 PM
Thank you for your offer Mr.B, I'll definately take you up on it :):):). Iy'll be so cool, I'll be the only Indian(In INdia) with an OHT :)
Regards,

Akshay
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 01:47:33 PM by aksd »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 04:01:15 PM
Great pics guys  :) For me the OHT isnt too big for pocket carry , Ive always carried loads in my pockets and its something you can get used to , even been known to carry a Swisstool in its belt sheath in my jeans pocket many a time and I have a Vic skipper in my pocket as I type this and its wider than a OHT .

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 04:09:00 PM
Nice OHT!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 06:20:03 PM
It has two sizes of drivers: one is huge and the other is a little nubbin.  I use the large driver to flip flap jacks.  The little nubbin does an excellent job of stripping flat head screws and I’ve heard claims that it’ll also strip Phillips head screws.    :P

Hah! Couple of good zingers there!  :D

It has a nice dedicated Phillips driver but you’ll have to clear everyone from the room so that there’s enough clearance to use it.  ;)

Hee-hee! Another one!   :laugh:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 07:48:12 PM
Just ordered one, can't wait to handle it..

Is the blade as sharp as the regular Vic blades seeing as the OHT is only ground on one side?
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 07:52:20 PM
A chisel grind is usually sharper than a double grind since there's less material to get in the way.  Unfortunately they also cut crooked (arcing towards the flat side) and they are more fragile.

Fortunately, Victorinox uses a relatively soft steel that resists breakage and so I find it better than many tactical knives that can shave hair off a diamond.

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 05:05:18 AM
As far as the OHT being larger than most people want to carry I dont know.  For the better part of a year I carried a Strider folder with a 4" blade clipped to my pocket.  I never thought it as being too large.  I also have a 111mm Vic lockblade that I carried for a long time as well.  My carry method was to use a caribiner and clip it to my belt loop.  It was always readily available when I needed it.  I will admit that the 111mm size doesent fit in the pocket all that well a pocket clip would solve the problem but I have not ventured that far YET :)!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 12:57:46 AM
Wow...Trekker received already!

Awesome tool and great setup.  I wonder why there isn't a hole in the awl though..

More rain/snow this weekend I think...using it to saw apart some firewood is going to have to wait :P
[

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 06:41:28 PM
the clip is coming soon i think.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 04:42:41 PM
Just ordered one, can't wait to handle it..

Is the blade as sharp as the regular Vic blades seeing as the OHT is only ground on one side?

You have spent your money wisely!!!!! :angel: ;)
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 03:37:29 AM
Definately, it ate right through some downed branches this past weekend.
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 05:03:02 PM
I have still yet to order an OHT.  I am still playing with my rescue tool.  Although I stopped into the local hardware store yesterday and picked up a new Vic ranger at a very discounted price.  The guy wanted rid of it because he said it had been sitting there too long.  I took full advantage of his offer.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 05:09:53 PM
I just got a couple , one for me , one for a friend . This being my second go round with this model . All I can say is very nice ! I would certainly much rather have a plain edged version .

Chris

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 03:51:21 PM
Love the OHT!!  I can't wait for them to make a "work champ"
 version
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #25 on: March 10, 2007, 03:25:57 PM
I like the workchamp idea.  I think that it would be neat.  Large but neat.

Offline sakjohn

Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 02:21:24 AM
Great pics guys  :) For me the OHT isnt too big for pocket carry , Ive always carried loads in my pockets and its something you can get used to , even been known to carry a Swisstool in its belt sheath in my jeans pocket many a time and I have a Vic skipper in my pocket as I type this and its wider than a OHT .

(Image removed from quote.)

Dunc

Dunc, I liked your info and pics in the other forum I followed you to this one, congrats on the moderator position.

Do you really EDC that skipper ? Do you carry the swisstool as well?
Sakjohn

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 09:58:59 AM

Dunc, I liked your info and pics in the other forum I followed you to this one, congrats on the moderator position.

Do you really EDC that skipper ? Do you carry the swisstool as well?
Sakjohn

Hello SAKjohn , thanks for your kind words  :)  ( were you refering to British blades ? ) . I mostly carry the Skipper on training days because the serrated blade is so good at cutting rope and have sharpened it to what can only be described as quite scary  :o I suppose I do tend to carry rather alot on me but I'd rather have too much then not enough , also if I have to lend someone a knife I still have one with me and of course theres always the risk of loosing one on the beach . I must give the impression I spend all my time cutting rope and undoing shackles with the Skippers marlin spike  :D  But they do get used a fair bit , the Swisstool more so .

Take care

Dunc

Offline sakjohn

Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 02:12:08 PM
Thanks for the reply Dunc. It was the sosak forum. I asked about SAKs at sea. I liked your idea about the sak and swisstool combo. Looking forward to reading this forum as well.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 02:15:12 PM
SOSAK?  What's that?  I never heard of it...

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%