Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool mod...anyone?

zepla · 51 · 20853

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Skeletool mod...anyone?
on: November 11, 2008, 12:58:47 AM
I'm thinking to cut of the bottle opener/carabiner. Realy have no use for it. If I ever want to open a bottle without a srewcap, I just use the pliers (or lighter or knife or whatever). But I do like that I can use the screwdriver without keeping the tool open, like the wave. And it makes it even smaller in total. And it seems after the chopping the top of I can use the pliers both ways in your hand, if you know what I mean (you skeletool users out there know what I mean  ;))

Any thoughts....?

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: Skeletool mod...anyone?
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:02:50 AM
no thoughtsmjust send me the carabiner then :D.ill weld it to my modified sog powerlock folding knife ;)

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:33:20 AM
I pretty sure it will not survive the operation. But for now I just hoping to get the courage to do it  :ahhh

But if you need a carabiner of some sort, just let me know. I work with boats so maybe I can get a hold of what you need.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 11:57:48 AM
Operate!!!

good luck buddy ;)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 03:30:44 PM
I hadn't thought of doing that, but it does make sense.  My first thought was that you also lose a carry method, but you'd still have the pocket clip, and it might be easier to pocket carry without the bulky carabiner on it.

Just be careful not to accidentally poke something important with the exposed screwdriver!   :o

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 04:36:33 PM
I hate the pocket clip on mine and I just hook the biner to my pants pocket, it seems to work much better for me that way.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:31:05 PM
I always carry with pocket clip. That way it is not swinging about and not so out in the open.

And for that exposed bit, I was thinking to leaf it out and keep it in the storage slot. That's why I want double side bits like in the wave (one phillips side and one slotted side). But I have to think it all a bit more through, I don't want to go the squirt mod way again. (that means in the end a pile of useless stuff and a damaged ego  :D) Not for this kind of money  :o

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 08:35:22 PM
The only thing that is visible its just a bit of the biner.  Tucks in real nice to the side of the pocket.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 09:47:44 PM
I see what your mean. But it just does not work out that fine with my pants. Yeah I know, I should buy other pants  ::) But that doesn't seems as much fun as modding a MT  :D

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:52:04 PM
I can agree with that.  I am selling mine if you are interested in a donor skeletool.  DSLR's are expensive.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:03:39 PM
If it is a CX, how far will it set me back. Before you answer, remember I spend my last money on a new skeletool already, so bring it to me gentle  :D

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 10:08:15 PM
Nope its standard, no cx

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 10:15:14 PM
To bad, I do a lot of rope cutting and the serrated part helps a lot with that. (and I think it looks good) To be honest, I'm happy that isn't a cx, otherwise I had to put on my bankrobers panties on my head......aigain  :D >:D :twak:

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 10:31:04 PM
sure, that's why he puts panties on his head, right :pok: :D

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:10:19 PM
I knew that came back to haunt me... :D

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 05:09:36 AM
Do you have a picture of the squirt mod?
(

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 03:13:27 PM
Sure, but they are not something to be proud of. The mof did not worked out as planned  :( I thought I already put some pictures somewhere at mt.o. But I'll post them again for you when I'm at home.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 03:43:34 PM
More importantly... let's get some of those pictures on the panty head-wearing. >_>
Got those frog legs.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 03:58:14 PM
You're into that stuff eh?  ;)

Bad news than, if you see me in my panties, it is the last thing you'll ever see  :D

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Re: Skeletool mod...anyone? i did...
Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 09:21:11 PM
Al right, I did it!

Not sure if it was a good idea  :-\ . It looks kinda weird  :o . But it seems smaller in the pocker and it looks like the ergonomics improved. Not that akward handle when using the pliers. Look for your self, made some quick pictures. (the are not as sharp as they could have been, I know...)
P1000687.JPG
* P1000687.JPG (Filesize: 87.77 KB)
P1000688.JPG
* P1000688.JPG (Filesize: 92.66 KB)

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 09:22:04 PM
And two more pictures...
P1000689.JPG
* P1000689.JPG (Filesize: 88.78 KB)
P1000690.JPG
* P1000690.JPG (Filesize: 86.57 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 07:57:49 AM
 :o After you remove the bit it seems quite a bit smaller :tu: also more ergonomic :D I am glad some ppl have the courage to try stuff like that and show us how it turns out :salute: :)

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 08:07:53 AM
Props for the courage  :salute: now you have a baby skele  :D looks good

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 10:45:52 AM
it almost seems that you'd be just as well off (style notwithstanding) modding the handle and putting one of those clamp-on thumb studs on a Juice model.

Would it have been plausible for them to put the bit exchanger in the opposite handle and fold away?

(okay, that's a fairly serious design change I suppose, and the Skele doesn't look moddable enough for it to be relevant)

On to other things!:

Skele with Surge style Blade exchanger instead of main blade - surely this would give the most versatility in the lightest package.

Wasn't someone working on a "t" end plain (or was it serrated?) blade to go with their modded double-exchanger surge?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:51:04 AM by Nomad »

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 05:10:43 PM
A Juice has some (for me that is) major design flaws. Some of them could be corrected I guess, like the oho for example. But the locking blades, that's going to be difficult (with my modding skills, damn those two left hands  ;) ) And a locking blade is a must for me.

I've looked at your suggestion about the bit exchanger (I had the same idea  :D ) But I think that can't be done (by me that is, again). If that's possible I'll do it right away!

Btw, I think I like your blade exchanger suggestion, never thought of that. That seems as a do-able mod. But where are you going to keep the spare blades/bit if you don't want to carry a sheat?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 08:04:32 PM
Btw, I think I like your blade exchanger suggestion, never thought of that. That seems as a do-able mod. But where are you going to keep the spare blades/bit if you don't want to carry a sheat?

I just come up with the plans, you take care of the details.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 09:40:49 PM
Hmm, that is what I was affraid of  ::) Alright, I'll look into it (does that sound as if I know what I'm talking about?)  :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 04:04:22 PM
I find that having some idea of what you are talking about is always a hindrance to the overall project!  If you don't know what you are doing, you can't make excuses as to why something can't be done!  :D

Seriously, that is a fantastic mod you have done there with the CX!  I'd love to hear your thoughts on it in a continuing basis, as well as maybe some pocket carry pics (for reference for other people thinking about it) and maybe a photo next to another Skeletool (if you can find one!) for reference to see just how much was removed.

It looks professionally done from the pictures, almost like Leatherman produced a "Skeletool Lite" type model!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 05:22:00 PM
Thanks man! The professional look is more due the blurry picture taking than the actual mod  :D But I'm very please with it.

It has been for a little while now that I'm handling the Skeletool Lite (sorry for steeling your name for it) and it is great. It fits very nice into my pocket (take the bit out) and using the pocketclip it just stick less into my leg with sitting down. For serious tasks I'll advice a bigger tool than the Skeletool, "Lite" version or standard. But the plier handle is less akward than the standard version imho.

I do not have a other skeletool for size comparison but a wave should work (only on this forum) as a reference. Or I'll find something else when I'm at home tonight with a known size (like a tape measure  :D ) I have never seen one but it looks a bit like a modern version of the mini-tool.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 08:42:26 PM
But where are you going to keep the spare blades/bit if you don't want to carry a sheat?

You could carry the extra blades in your wallet! It comes with a vinyl sleeve for them..
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD