Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Talk about dedicated splitting-axe

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Talk about dedicated splitting-axe
Reply #30 on: May 28, 2016, 02:59:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_s3Ci1Dl0s

Here's one that addresses both the versions and compares them to the traditional splitting maul.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #31 on: May 28, 2016, 06:06:06 PM
Ya way too gadgety for my taste.  Same way I feel about the klax.  Not practical but interesting to look at.

ALso I hate unitasker tools. Yes that traditional maul is mostly used for splitting but you could also cut down a tree if you had to.  no way you could fell a tree with that lever thing. 

Taking into account 4-5x the cost of a good maul, its just not a great choice.  The version 2 is really confusing to me as I cant imagine that lasting long it would fall apart.

This reminded me though I need a good fireside splitter.  I think I will get the estwing one, its fine for camping and I like heavy solid tools.  These I think are around $60.

For a full size one, I want the GB but cant afford it just yet.  220 here at the camping store.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:17:36 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #32 on: May 28, 2016, 06:27:25 PM
After 25 years splitting firewood with a traditional maul I thought I'd try something a bit different and I was pleasantly surprised at how well my new Fiskars X25 XL Splitting Axe worked.  It's significantly lighter but still has the power to split all except the gnarliest twisted Eucalypt blocks (but they were always a pain even with the heavy maul). 

Because it is lighter (and therefore I can hit more accurately) I can get through more splitting before my (ageing) body cries "enough".  I initially bought the longer and heavier X27 version, but hardly ever need to use it as the X25 works on almost everything.  Has anyone else used these Fiskars splitting axes ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #33 on: May 28, 2016, 07:45:55 PM
    I've never used a splitting maul. Have used a single and double axes. Occasionally a wedge. And we had a mechanical Briggs & Scrapiron gas-powered wood splitter that put any other method to shame.  :rofl:

For $350??? WTF Nope, udder junk. Wonder how many tries before the creator got the swing of it - before making the videos.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: May 28, 2016, 08:20:23 PM
After 25 years splitting firewood with a traditional maul I thought I'd try something a bit different and I was pleasantly surprised at how well my new Fiskars X25 XL Splitting Axe worked.  It's significantly lighter but still has the power to split all except the gnarliest twisted Eucalypt blocks (but they were always a pain even with the heavy maul). 

Because it is lighter (and therefore I can hit more accurately) I can get through more splitting before my (ageing) body cries "enough".  I initially bought the longer and heavier X27 version, but hardly ever need to use it as the X25 works on almost everything.  Has anyone else used these Fiskars splitting axes ?

No, but I'd definitely like too. 

I'm much more a fan of traditional axes for general purpose stuff, but for some reason a maul/splitting axe feels much more utilitarian and so I'm not nearly so fussy with the aesthetics.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 12:20:13 AM
If this splitting axe was so great I doubt the inventor would have had to repeatedly spam MTO to sell it. :P

I think it was I that finally banned him a few years back. :think:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 08:59:13 AM
Enki  :waving:

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: June 06, 2016, 02:37:27 AM
Just recaught up on this thread :rofl: That guy just wasn't taking a hint :D Neat design but don't think I would ever pay that for one since I can get a regular splitter for way cheaper :cheers:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 04:39:26 AM
    Oh, I didn't know that and I brought a dead post back to life. Okay, ban me for dredging up the past.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 01:31:25 PM
    Oh, I didn't know that and I brought a dead post back to life. Okay, ban me for dredging up the past.

I don't think anyone has ever been banned for necro-threading.  All discussion is good in my book. :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: June 06, 2016, 11:51:25 PM

I don't think anyone has ever been banned for necro-threading.  All discussion is good in my book. :D

Especially if the thread is as humorous as this one :D I like the "Psssst to yourself" part :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%