Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ferrocerium anyone?

Splat · 47 · 5523

us Offline Splat

Ferrocerium anyone?
on: December 16, 2008, 07:02:18 AM
Anyone carry a ferro rod and what have you used to ignite its little slivers of hot goodness?!  :o :D  I loaned my ferro rod out to a buddy who lost it camping and now I'm thinking of getting another..... or should I?  :) I don't like the magnesium jobs. Ferro rods RAWK!  Ok, I'm 38 but Ferro rods bring out the kid in me.  :P  I should get another right?
Splat

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Ferrocerium anyone?
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:06:10 AM
Anyone carry a ferro rod and what have you used to ignite its little slivers of hot goodness?!  :o :D  I loaned my ferro rod out to a buddy who lost it camping and now I'm thinking of getting another..... or should I?  :) I don't like the magnesium jobs. Ferro rods RAWK!  Ok, I'm 38 but Ferro rods bring out the kid in me.  :P  I should get another right?
Yep I wouldn't be without one EVER :D, so you need to hurry up and get another one :pok: :pok:

For striking one I always use the back of a Victorinox saw :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:34:29 AM
Look into the Boy Scout ones. Very small and compact. Plus if you have a BSA supply house next to ya they are only a couple bucks each.
S

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 03:17:34 PM
At the risk of sounding greatly unpopular (no change there  :D) why does anyone feel the need to EDC a ferro rod in this day and age?  Maybe it is different over in the US with some of you driving down roads in the middle of nowhere where there is a genuine risk if getting stuck out in the wilderness, but in the UK?  Just carry a lighter, walk round the corner to the next house or if you are stuck, grab your phone and call for a cab.  I just can't see the need to EDC one over here.  They are however great fun when practicing bushcraft etc I imagine.  :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 06:33:49 PM by Benner »
I'm back!!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 03:23:07 PM
At the risk of sounding greatly unpopular (no change there  :D) why does anyone feel the need to EDC a ferro rod in this day and age?  Maybe it is different over in the US with some of you driving down roads in the middle of nowhere where there is a genuine risk if getting stuck out in the wilderness, but in the UK?  Just carry a lighter, walt round the corner to the next house or if you are stuck, grab your phone and call for a cab.  I just can't see the need to EDC one over here.  They are however great fun when practicing bushcraft etc I imagine.  :)

In this day and age one never knows what lies around the corner, a BSA firestarter and a few cotton balls soaked in petroluem jelly are cheap insurance.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 03:25:46 PM
At the risk of sounding greatly unpopular (no change there  :D) why does anyone feel the need to EDC a ferro rod in this day and age?  Maybe it is different over in the US with some of you driving down roads in the middle of nowhere where there is a genuine risk if getting stuck out in the wilderness, but in the UK?  Just carry a lighter, walt round the corner to the next house or if you are stuck, grab your phone and call for a cab.  I just can't see the need to EDC one over here.  They are however great fun when practicing bushcraft etc I imagine.  :)

In this day and age one never knows what lies around the corner, a BSA firestarter and a few cotton balls soaked in petroluem jelly are cheap insurance.

Dtrain

Cheap insurance for what?  Just walk 100 yards and you will be at someones house.  Or, like I say, use a phone and call for a taxi or a recovery truck.

That is what it is like here anyway.
I'm back!!

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 03:29:45 PM

I carry one in a LM sheath.  Why?  Um...ahh...to be completely honest, its kinda neat.  There is something primal about starting a fire with steel....I have no good reason to have one but then I say that about my wife....opps...(yells out loud) nothing honey.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 03:33:25 PM

I carry one in a LM sheath.  Why?  Um...ahh...to be completely honest, its kinda neat.  There is something primal about starting a fire with steel....I have no good reason to have one but then I say that about my wife....opps...(yells out loud) nothing honey.

That's fair enough, half of what I carry is only carried just because I want to.  :D  I just wondered if anyone saw a genuine need to EDC one of these.
I'm back!!

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 03:35:32 PM

Dtrain

Over here it is the same.

But in the US there are some places that do not have cell phone coverage (if the movies are true  :D ) We can not imagage something like that in the Netherlands (or the UK I guess). We just do not have "the middle of nowhere", walk an hour or two max and you are at the next house or village. The part where I live, walk 5 minutes  :D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 03:47:36 PM
But in the US there are some places that do not have cell phone coverage (if the movies are true  :D ) We can not imagage something like that in the Netherlands (or the UK I guess).

Oh there are plenty of places in the UK without mobile phone coverage :( ::) I know cos i live in a semi black spot ::)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 03:54:52 PM
But in the US there are some places that do not have cell phone coverage (if the movies are true  :D ) We can not imagage something like that in the Netherlands (or the UK I guess).

Oh there are plenty of places in the UK without mobile phone coverage :( ::) I know cos i live in a semi black spot ::)

True, but a 5 minute walk usually finds you signal again.
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 05:31:15 PM
I don't carry a ferro rod but I do live in an area with quite a bit of cell phone coverage lose :( On a good note it gets better every year :D I have often wondered if I should carry one myself :think: Don't know if I would ever use it :-\

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 05:32:56 PM
You have a good point Benner. Me personally, I figure the minute I let my self get caught short when it comes to making a fire is when I'll need it. Now, what if there is a case of Civil Unrest in your neck of the woods, and you cannot get to familiar surroundings, and let's say that the other folks you run into are not in the sharing mood. If you had to take shelter in an abandoned building or field I bet the ability to make fire and carry something to do so with that does not rely on gas or liquid could come in handy. I know I'm probably reaching here. I drove 48 states when I ran over the road. I went through urban/surburban/and very rural areas. I just don't beleive in taking the chance that someone else is going to help me out in a pinch.

Cheers

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 05:39:17 PM
You have a good point Benner. Me personally, I figure the minute I let my self get caught short when it comes to making a fire is when I'll need it. Now, what if there is a case of Civil Unrest in your neck of the woods, and you cannot get to familiar surroundings, and let's say that the other folks you run into are not in the sharing mood. If you had to take shelter in an abandoned building or field I bet the ability to make fire and carry something to do so with that does not rely on gas or liquid could come in handy. I know I'm probably reaching here. I drove 48 states when I ran over the road. I went through urban/surburban/and very rural areas. I just don't beleive in taking the chance that someone else is going to help me out in a pinch.

Cheers

Dtrain

So we are talking about preparing for TEOTWAWKI then.  :D  That's fair enough and like I say I expect some people will genuinely find themselves needing one some day, I was just curious to hear the opinons of those who do EDC them.  :)

For me though, if I was to ever become stranded, my main concern would be working out how to get home and not how to start a fire.  But like I say, if I ever broke down here in the UK I could be at someone elses house within minutes.
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 06:23:18 PM
Well in the case of TEOTWAWKI :ahhh I might just need to get one :D

us Offline Splat

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 09:05:55 PM
The higher the frequency the less distance you get in heavily foliage areas. Cellphones are up there in the GHz and therefore very susceptible to signal degradation in wooded areas. I would think most states would put up a few cell towers to increase coverage in rural areas, but it's still not 100% guaranteed you'll get a signal.  And damnit!, making fire is cool with raw materials!  :D :tu:

BTW, are these simply ferro rods with handles on the ends?: http://tinyurl.com/6naggo
Splat

Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 09:57:45 PM

BTW, are these simply ferro rods with handles on the ends?: http://tinyurl.com/6naggo
Yep they are :)

As for carrying one in Britain, well like everyone here I carry one as cheap life insurance :)

All my personel transport over the years (Bicycles and motorbikes) never had a roof, so breaking down could either involve being miserably cold, or possibly dead, so having the means to make a fire relatively quicky is a great comfort to me :)

And besides there much more robust and reliable that any other form of firelighting :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 10:05:09 PM

As for carrying one in Britain, well like everyone here I carry one as cheap life insurance :)

All my personel transport over the years (Bicycles and motorbikes) never had a roof, so breaking down could either involve being miserably cold, or possibly dead, so having the means to make a fire relatively quicky is a great comfort to me :)

And besides there much more robust and reliable that any other form of firelighting :)

But if you did break down wouldn't you be more focussed on trying to get home?  I have luckily only broken down just the once and my first feelings were not lets set up camp and get a fire going, but more me wanting to get home. 
I'm back!!

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 10:11:28 PM

But if you did break down wouldn't you be more focussed on trying to get home?  I have luckily only broken down just the once and my first feelings were not lets set up camp and get a fire going, but more me wanting to get home. 
I've never actually had to light a fire due to a break down, as I've always managed to bodge them enough to get home (except once, when my old MZ electrics just got absolutely water logged in torential rain ::)) but it was a comfort knowing I had the means to wait out the situation until it was either daylight or the weather improved (no roof remember :D) in reasonable safety/comfort :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 10:18:05 PM
Sod waiting till daylight  :D, I'd just call recovery, a taxi or just walk it.

I guess I just don't see staying out in it as an option. 
I'm back!!

Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:42 PM
Sod waiting till daylight  :D, I'd just call recovery, a taxi or just walk it.

I guess I just don't see staying out in it as an option. 
I don't fear the Boogie Man like you do I guess :D

I never had recovery when my MZ broke down as it's stupendously expensive for bikers to get the AA to come out to you >:(

I was in the middle of nowhere on my way to a garage in Whitstable and it was 11.30 at night in the pissing rain when I decided to call it a day and push it to a bus shelter to strip it right down by the light of a street lamp ::) so a fire was very tempting while I waited for some day light :D

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 02:23:47 AM
I like to have a ferro rod and magnesium bar, but I don't EDC them.  My travels keep me in urban areas, and my Zippo in my pocket, the Bic in my bag, and the book of matches in my jacket give me enough options to get fire.

The most I've ever needed those fire making abilities was for lighting other people cigarrettes :P  Heating plastic or metal sometimes becomes handy, but I won't be making any campfires in my day to day life.

When camping I add a ferro rod/mag bar to the mix.
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 02:52:27 AM
At the risk of sounding greatly unpopular (no change there  :D) why does anyone feel the need to EDC a ferro rod in this day and age?  Maybe it is different over in the US with some of you driving down roads in the middle of nowhere where there is a genuine risk if getting stuck out in the wilderness, but in the UK?  Just carry a lighter, walk round the corner to the next house or if you are stuck, grab your phone and call for a cab.  I just can't see the need to EDC one over here.  They are however great fun when practicing bushcraft etc I imagine.  :)

Because they are fun? I completely agree with you, but life would be so boring without toys.
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 03:07:11 AM
Yeah they are fun to play with. Try scrape one in the dark, they are BRIGHT!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 03:11:32 AM
I EDC a keychain fire steel Gadget Guy sent me.. But, I will probably never use it!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 03:56:13 AM
Does anyone know a link to a bunch of different models of ferro rods :think: seems like Mikko or somebody had a thread similar to this or he had the link or something but I don't know where that is at ATM ::) :D Thanks for any help :tu:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 04:33:56 AM
I think whichdawg posted a link a while ago to a lot of different sized firesteels, up to 1/2x6".

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 08:42:31 AM
I actually do live in on the edge of cellphone reception, and could see some benefit in having firemaking materials.
One question that comes to mind though, is if it is so cold and wet that you need a fire,
where are you going to find anything dry to burn?

R

Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 09:22:35 AM
I actually do live in on the edge of cellphone reception, and could see some benefit in having firemaking materials.
One question that comes to mind though, is if it is so cold and wet that you need a fire,
where are you going to find anything dry to burn?

I've got a spy capsule for of cotton wool right next to my ferro rod :-[

So between that and a Farmer, I should be able to make a fire in most situations :)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 10:59:59 PM
I don't fear the Boogie Man like you do I guess :D

Of course not!  Unlike Benner, you carry a ferro rod!  :D
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!