Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

UK Legal Carry Thread!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: UK Legal Carry Thread!
Reply #600 on: May 30, 2015, 03:55:19 PM
Nice to meet someone else from the Emerald Isle.

Even compared to the UK laws, the laws here are *******************!  :twak:  :whistle:

I don't dare taking my beloved Hiker out of the house, outside of a scout trip, for fear of the long arm of the law.
I am student age, and that makes it even worse.

Ah well. Make the best of a bad situation, that's what Macgyver would do.  :salute:

(Disclaimer: The star text above represents what you imagine it to represent. I did not use it to cover any "Bad words".  :rofl: )
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #601 on: May 30, 2015, 05:18:25 PM
Pablo, going off topic (as usual) what are the laws here ?

ok, i wouldn't bring my wave into any of the towns near me, but where i live, well you rarely see a garda, even if you're looking for one :) so it's never bothered me - then again, i live in the arse end of sam maguire country :D :D :D

and, my lads are forbidden from taking their hikers/leap outside the house without express permission from me.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #602 on: May 30, 2015, 05:52:25 PM
according to the leatherman site, the Juice SX has a locking blade - is this the same for the rest of the new juice series ?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #603 on: May 30, 2015, 06:07:35 PM
according to the leatherman site, the Juice SX has a locking blade - is this the same for the rest of the new juice series ?

News to me. Can't see where you'd fit a lock into a Juice!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #604 on: May 30, 2015, 06:40:38 PM
not saying i'm right - i done a comparison between the juice S2 and SX, and it came up there - i've attached a screenshot. I've never played with a juice before, so i honestly have no idea.
juice.jpg
* juice.jpg (Filesize: 81.63 KB)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #605 on: May 30, 2015, 09:25:07 PM
not saying i'm right - i done a comparison between the juice S2 and SX, and it came up there - i've attached a screenshot. I've never played with a juice before, so i honestly have no idea.

Yeah...also just checked Leatherman.co.uk,they make no mention of it :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #606 on: May 30, 2015, 11:47:05 PM

ok, i wouldn't bring my wave into any of the towns near me, but where i live, well you rarely see a garda, even if you're looking for one :) so it's never bothered me - then again, i live in the arse end of sam maguire country :D :D :D

and, my lads are forbidden from taking their hikers/leap outside the house without express permission from me.

Unfortunatly, knives and pointy objects of any description are ILLIEGAL to carry in public spaces in Ireland, period.

You need a good reason to carry them, like you need them for work, hunting, fishing, camping etc. Thats the kind of excuses you need to have them in a public space, and its not allowed, for example, to carry the knife into a shop on the way to camp. Or carry it at 2am.

It all depends on the guard. If he/she decides to let you off the hook after catching you with a knife, he/she can. Equally, he/she can arrest you. Its up to them.

A fuller explaination is below, with the law written out too:
http://www.bushcraft.ie/index.php/articles/58-knives-and-the-law

As you see, its much worse than even the UK.  :rofl:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #607 on: May 30, 2015, 11:56:19 PM

Unfortunatly, knives and pointy objects of any description are ILLIEGAL to carry in public spaces in Ireland, period.

You need a good reason to carry them, like you need them for work, hunting, fishing, camping etc. Thats the kind of excuses you need to have them in a public space, and its not allowed, for example, to carry the knife into a shop on the way to camp. Or carry it at 2am.

It all depends on the guard. If he/she decides to let you off the hook after catching you with a knife, he/she can. Equally, he/she can arrest you. Its up to them.

A fuller explaination is below, with the law written out too:
http://www.bushcraft.ie/index.php/articles/58-knives-and-the-law

As you see, its much worse than even the UK.  :rofl:

(Remember I'm from Norn Irn ;))

Now,that's the first time I've heard a reason from the Republic to keep the boarder!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #608 on: May 31, 2015, 12:07:51 AM
Indeed! Stay away!  >:D >:D
Hell down here for multi and SAK carriers.  :rofl:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #609 on: May 31, 2015, 12:08:47 AM
wow. so my precious wave is illegal here too. that sucks.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #610 on: May 31, 2015, 12:19:34 AM
Indeed! Stay away!  >:D >:D
Hell down here for multi and SAK carriers.  :rofl:

not just for SAK and multi carriers, but thats a whole different story.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #611 on: May 31, 2015, 12:23:42 AM
In the end, it's all down to Reason.
If you look and act like an upstanding citizen, and the knife in question is a Midnite Minichamp*, it is probably safe, within Reason.
Its a case of low risk-very bad consequences.
Unlikely that you get caught-possibly a fine (or jail AND a fine) if you be caught/seen by a guard.  :(

I would not be worried personally about carrying a Hiker/etc in the countryside. Not many people, let alone guards.  :rofl:
Its up to you though.

*Picked for this example because a Midnite Minichamp is possibly the least threating SAK in existence. Only 58mm long, but a ridiculous amount of layers and tools for its size(In a good way).
The deadly stabby blades are far far from prominent on it.  :rofl:
Bonus points if the scales are pink.

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #612 on: May 31, 2015, 12:29:46 AM
yeah, i think the gardaí seem to still have a fair amount of discretion, something which seems to have been taken from police elsewhere from my reading of things. I'm not worried about getting into hassle because of my squirt or wave, as you say, reason/intent plays a large part here.
But I have very little experience of dealing with police anywhere i've lived, other then getting the odd form signed so what do i know ???

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #613 on: May 31, 2015, 12:35:18 AM
Yea. I don't have any experience with the Gardaí also, but there are stories of guards seeing SAK's in cars, etc and passing on with little comment.
A small few bad stories though, but thats to be expected.
"Just Be Reasonable", maybe that will be my motto.  :tu:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #614 on: May 31, 2015, 07:54:08 AM
Damon,getting back to the SX,that's the surf specific Juice. That picture/site you found is the only reference to a locking Juice I've found. As a heads up,Amazon.co.uk have old S2 for about £45 at the moment.

Have a look in the Mod Squad...Gareth,50ft-trad and myself,amongst others have modded a variety of tools to a Bladeless spec for full UK legality

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #615 on: May 31, 2015, 07:26:17 PM
Damon,getting back to the SX,that's the surf specific Juice. That picture/site you found is the only reference to a locking Juice I've found. As a heads up,Amazon.co.uk have old S2 for about £45 at the moment.

Have a look in the Mod Squad...Gareth,50ft-trad and myself,amongst others have modded a variety of tools to a Bladeless spec for full UK legality

thanks John for that, i guess i can proceed on the basis that the juices are non locking. i have a couple months before i have to buy anything, be the end of the summer before our travels. I find MT's are like a belt - i don't feel dressed without my belt, and at the very least my squirt P4 as well.
The thing regards modding is that i also want a blade, though it's not as used as the pliers or screwdrivers, but even so, having a knife is "normal" for me - i know society seems to differ.
I would like to go with Mikes suggestion and get a farmer (or any SAK) but funds are needed elsewhere, and I prefer just one tool.
Thank you, Mike and Pablo for all the advice :)
Be interesting to see how this thread plays out over the next few years.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #616 on: May 31, 2015, 07:52:41 PM
I hear you Eamo,I feel naked without a knife of some sort. I would never disagree with Mike LOS about getting a Farmer,but Spartans and Tinkers can be had for under £15 delivered.

Other option...what about a Delux Tinker?

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #617 on: May 31, 2015, 08:26:23 PM
see the pliers on the vics are lightweight, same as my squirt. nothing wrong with them, my squirt gets a lot of use (not meaning to cause offence to anyone, i mean compared to my wave).
i have an old battered swisschamp thats been on a lot of trips with me, got a lot of use over the years, i've just gotten used to something beefier (i guess) like the wave. So, the vic and small leathermans are ruled out. My squirt covers that base.
I have time to play with my dilemma :)
Getting a seperate blade like the spartan does have an appeal though. I do like the hikers my lads have, very nice knife and covers everything needed except for the pliers.

I think at this stage i might be overthinking this ???   :-[

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #618 on: May 31, 2015, 10:16:29 PM
see the pliers on the vics are lightweight, same as my squirt. nothing wrong with them, my squirt gets a lot of use (not meaning to cause offence to anyone, i mean compared to my wave).
i have an old battered swisschamp thats been on a lot of trips with me, got a lot of use over the years, i've just gotten used to something beefier (i guess) like the wave. So, the vic and small leathermans are ruled out. My squirt covers that base.
I have time to play with my dilemma :)
Getting a seperate blade like the spartan does have an appeal though. I do like the hikers my lads have, very nice knife and covers everything needed except for the pliers.

I think at this stage i might be overthinking this ???   :-[

People on MTo overthinking mo or issues like what tool? Never! :rofl:

Seriously,you need a PST or PST2. Juices are ok,but they're a bit fiddly. PST chassis slips easily into the pocket,good tool load out,proper size pliers.

You know you want to :pok:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #619 on: June 01, 2015, 11:45:47 AM
yes, i know i want to, but must resist, have to resist . . . . . for a couple months anyway . . . .

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #620 on: November 23, 2015, 03:24:25 PM
so finally, as i have a UK trip coming up, i ordered a Juice C2 - i think it's the original pre 2014 version judging from the pics which i'd prefer but don't really care either way. happy days :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #621 on: November 23, 2015, 08:38:22 PM
Hope you like the Juice.  Definitely one of the more 'interesting' MTs out there IMO. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #622 on: November 24, 2015, 09:12:54 AM
Gareth, would that be interesting as in "may you live in interesting times" or interesting as in "hey, thats a really cool interesting tool" ??? :D

it's not going to be my main MT, i just want to have something a bit bigger (and legal) then my squirt with me, in fact i'll leave it in the UK when i leave, for use when i'm over again during the summer (and as a tool for my host, who isn't into MT's despite my trying) - it should be with me today, hopefully.

I have a wave which i love, and a Squirt P4 which goes everywhere, for it's small size i think is a really really good little tool, bigtime. Probably my most used.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #623 on: November 24, 2015, 10:08:14 AM
Gareth, would that be interesting as in "may you live in interesting times" or interesting as in "hey, thats a really cool interesting tool" ??? :D

it's not going to be my main MT, i just want to have something a bit bigger (and legal) then my squirt with me, in fact i'll leave it in the UK when i leave, for use when i'm over again during the summer (and as a tool for my host, who isn't into MT's despite my trying) - it should be with me today, hopefully.

I have a wave which i love, and a Squirt P4 which goes everywhere, for it's small size i think is a really really good little tool, bigtime. Probably my most used.

We'll all be interested to hear what you think of the Juice :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #624 on: November 26, 2015, 12:07:05 PM

LOL.  That's "interesting" as in "interesting design ideas". :D  I have some issues with the design execution (hard to get out the screwdrivers for example), but it's still one of the few MTs that would fulfill your above criteria.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #625 on: November 26, 2015, 04:03:24 PM

LOL.  That's "interesting" as in "interesting design ideas". :D  I have some issues with the design execution (hard to get out the screwdrivers for example), but it's still one of the few MTs that would fulfill your above criteria.

ok, so i've had it a day - mostly only used the knife and played with the rest of the tools - yes i did manage to cut myself on the large flatblade screwdriver as it kind of came out with a bit of force because of the spring i guess, but the tools dont seem as stiff / difficult to get out as i've read with other juices. It is a pre 2014 model which seems better then the updated version, someone (I think Chako ?) done a great review a while back.

anyway, so far i'm happy :) i will be using it as my main MT until the middle of January so i might give a more detailed impression then.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #626 on: November 26, 2015, 11:06:27 PM

ok, so i've had it a day - mostly only used the knife and played with the rest of the tools - yes i did manage to cut myself on the large flatblade screwdriver as it kind of came out with a bit of force because of the spring i guess, but the tools dont seem as stiff / difficult to get out as i've read with other juices. It is a pre 2014 model which seems better then the updated version, someone (I think Chako ?) done a great review a while back.

anyway, so far i'm happy :) i will be using it as my main MT until the middle of January so i might give a more detailed impression then.

I look forward to your feedback  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #627 on: January 08, 2016, 12:04:27 AM
OK, so, as promised after about a month, my thoughts on my Juice - short version, I like it.

Longer version -

I got it purely for its UK legality. Fortunately, other then saying hello to the odd policeman/woman I met, usually when walking my dogs, I had no interaction with the police :)
I also left it at home when travelling into the city centre.

Finally, a caveat - i am nowhere as experienced as most of the people here, my MT "collection" can be counted on one hand.

I have a pre 2014 Juice.

Pros :
UK Legal
Nice tidy size
Nice blade size, I think slightly smaller then my young lads Hiker but roughly Vic sized which i like.
bottle opener good, doesnt slip
can opener usable, no problems
Knife / apple slicing - this was mentioned on another thread by 50ft - i found my Juice cut through cooked meat no problem, when preparing treats for my puppies. Apples, yeah, handled them too. I like my sliced apples :)

Cons :
Screwdrivers hard to open, and cut my thumb a few times. However, loosening up with use.
Bit light - I tried using it on heavier stuff, I had an incident where one of the puppies got on the wrong side of a barbed wire fence and my safest option was to cut the wire - no way the Juice was going to do it without straining it, my wave struggled so in the end i got a heavy pliers (this was before my trip).
Same with the philips head was doing some repairs and trying to drive selftapping screws into some wood, got 90% of the way but needed a heavier screwdriver to finish the job - I know, it's a small pocket tool, I just wanted to see what it could do.
The wire cutter wouldn't cut a plastic cable tie, only crushed it (tried my squirt same thing) but the blade made short work of it.

No workmanship issues, finish etc seems fine but i do lack experience in these things.

Thats really it, it done what I asked of it (within reason), which hasn't been a whole lot. I guess I life an uneventful life :)

I did bring it home, and bought a second one to leave in the UK :D :D :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #628 on: January 08, 2016, 01:29:06 AM
Good to hear you're happy with it.  You're thoughts are pretty much in line with mine: not perfect, but still a useful MT. :)

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #629 on: May 16, 2016, 09:27:02 PM
The Knifeless Fuse http://leatherman.com/multi-tools/full-size-tools/knifeless-fuse.aspx is a safe one as it has no saw or knife.

Does have a few pointy bits though :P

Neil

Very true that.

I wonder what would happen if I waved around a blade of grass a bit too vigourously?  :D

nah fam go round wielding a cucumber

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD