Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival kit on yourself

Poncho65 · 120 · 12443

Offline daveim21

Re: Survival kit on yourself
Reply #60 on: May 07, 2009, 12:29:43 AM
1) good firesteel
2) magnifying glass
3) pepper spray (especially if in bear country)
4) field guides to flora and fauna
:

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #61 on: May 07, 2009, 12:50:51 AM
Schrade Navitool  is probably one of the most useful , best designed , workhorse of a multitool / survival tool you will ever own.  Major components of the MT are a Liquid Filled Compass with Declination Ring, Signal mirror, SOLAS Certified Emergency Whistle,High Intensity LED Light, Lighter Storage Compartment with battery access ( 3V #CR2032 ).Each of the stainless steel implements lock in place: Corkscrew, saw, scissors, Plain edge blade ( scary sharp, Phillipshead screwdriver and cap liter, Flat head screwdriver and can opener.) and a tether cord as well as a LARGE heavy duty spring clip on the back. The quality of the construction of this MT is made to last, the implements are stainless steel and well designed for a long life.

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: May 15, 2009, 12:26:41 AM
Notorized copies of documents , laminated or waterproofed can be handy in foreign climes .  I places where kidnapping is popular , a handcuff key . Deffinatley a pencil , pens can fail under various conditions .

Chris

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: April 26, 2016, 06:29:44 PM
Well here we are 7 years later and my EDC has changed somewhat  :D I still carry a full sized MT and I always have my Vic Executive with me. I still carry bandaids in my wallet along with one of those plastic fresnal lens. I carry all the regular stuff in a wallet like cash, cards, ins card, license and even with a smartphone I still carry a pocket calendar.  I have a peanut lighter on 2 or 3 different sets of keys I carry plus a small firsteel with holes drilled in it on my keychain as well (the type meant to be weaved in on a paracord bracelet ). I always have a Gerber Shard, small medicine holder for pain meds an whatever other meds I might need and a fisher space bullet pen. With my smartphone in the holder ( a nite ize sideways XXL phone case) I carry a dual sided diamond sharpening card from Buck that goes in a side pocket pocket in its own sleeve. Also a long Phillips head bit and some triple antibiotic ointment. Quite a bit of this stuff goes in an Altoid tin I now use to make changing stuff from pocket to pocket more organized ;) I hope this rambling post makes some sense :D I have learned a lot from here over the years and think I am well prepared for most situations now. :cheers: if I remember anything else that I carry I will make note of it on here later :tu: Owe I just remembered that at work I always have a 2mm lead holder pencil and a couple different size Sharpies and a Sharpie ink pen also found a mini Bic lighter in the Altoid tin that I forgot about as well :ahhh I use the smartphone as a flashlight if I am out an need one as well :D here I have been rambling even more so hope this all.makes sense still :oops: :D

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #64 on: April 26, 2016, 07:08:15 PM
 :tu:     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: April 26, 2016, 09:14:56 PM

Hey, pocket calendars can double up as tooth picks. Got to get the technique down though  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #66 on: April 26, 2016, 09:26:53 PM

Hey, pocket calendars can double up as tooth picks. Got to get the technique down though  :D

Yep and they can get places that you can't always get too with a Vic toothpick :D

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #67 on: April 27, 2016, 06:41:58 AM
Good kit. I think you still need a proper flashlight though, if for no other reason than using the light on your phone as a flashlight eats the battery, and you should take a business card sized piece of plastic or just use the cover for that Buck card sharpener or fresnal lens and wrap a bit of duct tape around it. The stuff is so useful I hate to be without it.  I would also make some ranger bands to put around your Altoids tin to keep it closed and for other uses including burning if necessary.  If you're not familiar with ranger bands they are slices of bicycle inner tube used as heavy duty rubber bands.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: April 27, 2016, 12:30:19 PM
Good kit. I think you still need a proper flashlight though, if for no other reason than using the light on your phone as a flashlight eats the battery, and you should take a business card sized piece of plastic or just use the cover for that Buck card sharpener or fresnal lens and wrap a bit of duct tape around it. The stuff is so useful I hate to be without it.  I would also make some ranger bands to put around your Altoids tin to keep it closed and for other uses including burning if necessary.  If you're not familiar with ranger bands they are slices of bicycle inner tube used as heavy duty rubber bands.

I have tried duct tape around a card but with me working outside in the heat it always seems to get sticky :ahhh :D at work I am always close to a roll of it as well as in my vehicles and at home though ;) I am never to far from a real flashlight if I need one and I try an always keep my phone near full chrage if I can help it :cheers: I have thought about using my keychain flashlight but I never usually need a light that is why I have never EDCed one if I do need one my phone usually is enough that I haven't given a light much thought:D The Ranger bands I have looked into and they do interest me though :tu: So far this Altoid tin isn't so full that it won't stay closed on it's own but I usually use reg rubber bands when they start trying to come open :tu: Thanks for the input :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:31:23 PM by Poncho65 »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: May 02, 2016, 10:06:57 AM
Survival Kit

1. 1911
2. No moral compass.

Seriously though, your best tool is knowledge, and a realistic understanding of your own abilities.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #70 on: May 02, 2016, 01:56:28 PM
Of course I have a mini fak in my edc bag, but in my wallet I carry a mini mini fak.. You know those wallet pic thingys, well I cut one down to just one, then you know those little alcohol hand wipes, I took two of those and put them in then just four bandaids two diff sizes and slid them in. An absolute credit card size fak!

As for other need there's ways around them, tweezers, well your going to have a sak no? A whistle, well, I carry one on my zipper or on other stuff, there very unique cause you have to use paracord. Duct tape I did two diff things,

One, you know those imitation credit cards you get in the mail and throw away? Well don't, use one of those and wrap like 5' around it.

Two, cotter pins, go to the hardware store and get 2" cotter pins they normally come in a set of two, slide the tape in between and wrap, only downer is that over time if you use the little to hang it from the outside of tape will start to fall..

There's sooo many diff ways to carry things yet never even know you are..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #71 on: May 03, 2016, 07:44:49 AM
To me the flashlight is to get me out of a dark office building during a power failure, or worst case scenario, a fire. I always have one in my pocket if I'm out at night or in my bag if I'm out during the day.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: May 03, 2016, 01:15:06 PM
To me the flashlight is to get me out of a dark office building during a power failure, or worst case scenario, a fire. I always have one in my pocket if I'm out at night or in my bag if I'm out during the day.
That flashlight power outage has happend to me, only thing was I was up on top of one of those rolling metal staircases when it went BLACK! I couldn't see my friend at the bottom, and I wasn't going to walk down blind, so, "click" hey there you are!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #73 on: May 03, 2016, 05:38:03 PM
That flashlight power outage has happend to me, only thing was I was up on top of one of those rolling metal staircases when it went BLACK! I couldn't see my friend at the bottom, and I wasn't going to walk down blind, so, "click" hey there you are!
JR

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.  You never know when that can happen and since I live in Florida, the lightning capitol of the U.S., we get a lot of power failures.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: May 03, 2016, 08:53:27 PM
JR

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.  You never know when that can happen and since I live in Florida, the lightning capitol of the U.S., we get a lot of power failures.
It only takes once to pay for itself! And being atop a 15' staircase in a warehouse in absolute pitch black, I don't care if it's a $100 or $1k flashlight it's worth it to help find your way down!
JR

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: May 03, 2016, 09:37:14 PM
JR

It only takes once to pay for itself! And being atop a 15' staircase in a warehouse in absolute pitch black, I don't care if it's a $100 or $1k flashlight it's worth it to help find your way down!
JR

I am very seldom inside of a building but I can see the point :tu: Since I restarted this thread and read a few of these posts I have given a light some thought actually :tu: I have several flashlights at home and even a couple of lanterns :tu:  What is the most compact light you guys would consider/recommend for someone who doesn't carry one and wouldn't if it were to big? :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #76 on: May 03, 2016, 09:38:45 PM
Survival Kit

1. 1911
2. No moral compass.

Seriously though, your best tool is knowledge, and a realistic understanding of your own abilities.

I always try and learn anything I can never can know everything :cheers: I am pretty resourceful and that is a very good point SM :cheers:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: May 03, 2016, 10:06:49 PM
JR

JR

I am very seldom inside of a building but I can see the point :tu: Since I restarted this thread and read a few of these posts I have given a light some thought actually :tu: I have several flashlights at home and even a couple of lanterns :tu:  What is the most compact light you guys would consider/recommend for someone who doesn't carry one and wouldn't if it were to big? :cheers:
I carry two, I guess it would depend on how much umph you need? The little one is a rechargable Keychain size that gives off a descent amount, but the other is pocket clip led AA that gives off A LOT, of light, so it really depends on what you need?
JR

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #78 on: May 04, 2016, 02:00:26 AM
Smallest I have carried was a LED pod light that was attached to the back of my phone several phones ago.  Now a days the smallest I would carry is a AAA Maglight solitaire type of light or a 9V minimalist light such as in the picture I just got off the net. I haven't tried the 9V lights myself but I have a colleague who likes them because they are small and last a really long time.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:02:46 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: May 04, 2016, 04:43:22 AM
Smallest I have carried was a LED pod light that was attached to the back of my phone several phones ago.  Now a days the smallest I would carry is a AAA Maglight solitaire type of light or a 9V minimalist light such as in the picture I just got off the net. I haven't tried the 9V lights myself but I have a colleague who likes them because they are small and last a really long time.

That is a neat little light :tu: I am gonna track one of those down just because :D

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #80 on: May 04, 2016, 05:28:25 AM
http://www.9voltlight.com/home  These are the ones my friend uses.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #81 on: May 04, 2016, 05:32:14 AM
http://www.9voltlight.com/home  These are the ones my friend uses.

Thanks for the link :salute:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: May 24, 2016, 08:52:56 AM
Not really carrying this as there is so little chance I will ever use it. But I like making kits.
survivalkit_01.jpg
* survivalkit_01.jpg (Filesize: 105.55 KB)
survivalkit_02.jpg
* survivalkit_02.jpg (Filesize: 66.54 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: May 24, 2016, 04:46:36 PM
Not really carrying this as there is so little chance I will ever use it. But I like making kits.

I still like pics and see what other people have :tu: and that SAK :drool: Need to see pics of it opened up :ahhh :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: May 24, 2016, 04:50:28 PM

I still like pics and see what other people have :tu: and that SAK :drool: Need to see pics of it opened up :ahhh :D
Its a midshipman... you can still buy them in Ibach :D

Will take a picture in the evening.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #85 on: December 20, 2016, 04:37:55 AM
OK I have acquired a couple different flashlights since last time in this thread ::) I now carry an Olight i3E and am very happy with it :tu: I put a suspension clip on the split ring vs. the clip option as I did have one of these already that Zoidberg gifted me and I am not sure if the clip caught on something or what but it went AWOL :-[ Liking the light so much I went and purchased another one and it is now part of my EDC :cheers: :like:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: December 20, 2016, 10:11:29 AM
You and everybody else pretty much hit all the high points on the kit. For my kit I try to incorporate it as part of my carry instead of carrying it separately. For example for cordage I carry a quick release 550 paracord weave attached as a key chain to my carabiner and key ring along with a whistle, Shard, and flashlight. I have some band aids and duct tape stashed in my wallet. Knife, LM Multitool,  glass breaker I keep separate in my other pocket. I've lost too much stuff when tools are attached to one another.

Hope this helps. You must have big pockets😜

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: December 21, 2016, 08:31:42 PM

Took me longer than promised :P
midshipman_01.jpg
* midshipman_01.jpg (Filesize: 183.1 KB)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #88 on: December 22, 2016, 04:20:59 AM
Huh. I haven't posted to this.

On me, always: Fenix e01, thumb drive, lighter, two pens, sharpie, wallet (with note pad, 4-way pen, aluminum foil, etc), whistle ferro rod and twinder tab (on keys). Bandana.
Almost always on me: LM Rebar, Pocketwrench, small hemostats. Maglite xl50 and/or Surefire G2. Niteeyez electronic light stick (white and often a red as well). One of a couple of small fixed blades (CRKT Minimalist, CRKT Dragon or Gerber).  Sidearm usually with light, at least one spare magazine. Either a boonie hat or a brimmed watch cap depending on season. And in winter, gloves and a headlamp. Boots or work sneakers with steel toes.

Then you have my pack. 2 Nalgenes, one nested in a cup. Cheap channel lock-type pliers, Buck Paklite, paracord, duct tape, button compass, tinder, sewing needle and thread. Heatsheet, two contractor bags. A couple ziplocks. Small towel. Spare socks, wool glove liners, watch cap, chemical heat packs. Paracord. Velcro attached red retroreflective panel (removed sometimes but then in the pack). A chunk of camp pad used to give it some padding or pulled out it is a dry, insulated sitting pad. FAK w/ neosporin and cotton balls. Bandana. X-acto type knife in the tool kit, along with a small folding hacksaw, bit driver, bits, 3/32" pin punch, safety pins, ceramic hone, small adjustable wrench. Spare batteries.

I know. I have a problem.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: December 22, 2016, 04:40:36 AM

Took me longer than promised :P

I was being patient :angel: :D

Great pic of a lovely SAK Eth :dd: :like: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41