Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Super secret SHOT Show Maglite

665ae · 45 · 9756

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Super secret SHOT Show Maglite
on: January 17, 2009, 04:22:09 PM
While we were at the SHOT Show, we stopped by the Maglite booth to check and see if they had any new products.  Normally Maglite seems to be behind the curve when it comes to innovation and technology, but they brought out something that absolutely blew me away.

Lighting wise, it's a 4 in aluminum body LED light.  Output seems to be about 100 lumens (give or take about 20, they wouldn't give me a number)  It runs off of 3AA batteries that sit in a carrier.  We had to ask about the batteries because they wouldn't let us take it apart and look at it.  :)

While it doesn't sound all that exciting so far, it's the features that really blew me away.  If you hold the flashlight and turn it on, it comes on at full power.  To dim the light, you simply rotate your wrist while slightly pressing down on the tail switch.  It has a host of other options like a nightlight mode that you can cancel out simply by tapping the light, fast strobe, sos mode, last mode memory, and a several other features that I unfortunately cannot remember at this time.  :( 

I have to say that I was seriously impressed with the fiddle factor of this light.  It seemed about average output wise, and I'm not all that excited about it running off 3AA's, but the interface features are very impressive.

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Super secret SHOT Show Maglite
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 04:29:07 PM
It was simply amazing... really, it really knocked us for a loop, especially coming from Mag, whom I love but will admit they are way behind the times.  They went straight from Model T Fords to the Space Shuttle Atlantis on this one!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 05:40:58 PM
You really foundsomething different. iwould love to see the guts and how they worked out the switch to function with movement, What was the size overall? can you get a pic?
S

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 05:44:01 PM
Hmm, I am very intrigued by this! I have always had a soft spot for MagLites! Wouldn't it be great if they started making more designs with modern technology! If you think about it, there incandescent models still sell extremely well.. Everyone knows Mag's quality, and they are affordable!
B

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 10:22:14 PM
Sounds interesting...did it still have the unmistakable Mag Lite "look"? 
[

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 11:03:11 PM
 :ahhh Finally maybe some of the flashlight/torch ppl will quit making fun of Mag-lites :ahhh :D

Glad to know that they are stepping up into the world :tu:

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 12:06:31 AM
Any idea of the price?
[

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 12:09:40 AM
Always loved maglites, my first real flashlight was a camo mini mag that I loved. Very excited and looking forwards to some pics, reviews and owning one. Thx for the heads up :tu:

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 12:16:19 AM
You really foundsomething different. iwould love to see the guts and how they worked out the switch to function with movement, What was the size overall? can you get a pic?

They wouldn't let us anywhere near the thing with a camera.  The guy was pretty reluctant to even let us hold it.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 12:17:57 AM
Sounds interesting...did it still have the unmistakable Mag Lite "look"? 

It looked like a very fat solitare, maybe a little bit longer.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 04:26:09 AM

They wouldn't let us anywhere near the thing with a camera.  The guy was pretty reluctant to even let us hold it.

So what's the point of bringing it to a product show if their policy is no pic no play?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 05:39:21 AM
 :think: Yeah I thought the SHOT Show was show and tell time :ahhh :D :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 05:44:36 AM
Your mission gentlemen, should you decide to accept it, is to GET A PICTURE OF THAT LIGHT!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 06:26:54 AM
Your mission gentlemen, should you decide to accept it, is to GET A PICTURE OF THAT LIGHT!

:D

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 07:32:07 AM

I'm sure part of it had to do with the fact that our media badges didn't have anything to do with flashlights :D

It was hard enough just getting the guy to talk to us about it.  Def had to sweeten him up a bit with talk about how he loves his old Maglites...

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 03:40:45 PM
Ooooooooooh, a new maglite... those new features sound great!  I've always loved Maglites.   A 3AA carrier sounds a bit big though... I have a few flashlights with 3AAA carriers and they're already a good size.  How big is the circumference on the body?  It sounds like a 3AA carrier would make it big.   ???
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 04:16:15 PM
Im bummed they wont let people handle it or photo it. Isnt that the idea of shot!
S

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 05:11:23 PM
I thought SHOT was about unveiling secrets...not keeping them :think: 

[

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 07:27:33 PM
It could be that the light wasn't exactly 100% yet. It could be a bit embarrassing to have a light instaflash on the show floor. Anyone remember the microsoft exhibition on vista where the program went to a blue screen of death? I don't understand the no pictures part though ???

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 07:34:04 PM
I love my Maglites, but in the last year or so, I've bought alternative brands because quite simply, the technology they use is desperately out of date. Their torches simply don't light stuff up as well as Fenix etc.

I'm really pleased that they are getting up to speed and really hope that their prices are competitive when they get there. Great news.
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 07:36:50 PM
It could be that the light wasn't exactly 100% yet. It could be a bit embarrassing to have a light instaflash on the show floor. Anyone remember the microsoft exhibition on vista where the program went to a blue screen of death? I don't understand the no pictures part though ???

That's a good point...

Another question...I wonder if this new Mag is made in USA.  As far as I know, everything they've made has been in the USA, except I thing the guts of their LED models, I think those were imported.
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 08:10:43 PM
I think an early analysis of the led module says the microprocessor is made by texas instrument, a really cheap model too.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 08:17:26 PM
I asked the rep where they get their LED's from... but he couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me...

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 08:53:53 PM
I'm really pleased Mag has come out with something like this but to take an item to the SHOT show and then pretend its a secret and make a big issue out of giving you a quick peak but no photos is no better then a cheap second hand car salesman . They are trying to big it up and the chances are Surefire had something that would blow it away 2 years ago .

Someone at Mag needs to grow up .

Dunc

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 09:33:23 PM
I asked the rep where they get their LED's from... but he couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me...

Probably just a typical rep who doesn't know much about their product aside from what marketing department tells him.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 10:35:08 PM
What I don't get is the fact they have sat back and watched for so long.  Maglite is the one brand that non-torch people could name as a good manufacturer, and lets be fair for a long time were the top of the class.  The fact they let rivals get so far ahead in the technology stakes seems crazy.  They have run a real risk of loosing their place as a "go too" brand of quality.  For the general populace it isn't too late but they have lost a large chunk of the real torch fans and may never get them back.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 05:31:17 AM
Not taking pictures is a typical thing at SHOT.  Mag is one of a few places that wouldn't let us take pictures, as a product still in the development stage is very easy to copy.  If someone beats them to the market with their own design, then they look like they were the ones copying, even though it was their idea.  Also, marketing departments have certain schedules and like to release information in their own time.  Independents like us are a wild card for them, and so we are shown to generate interest, but not allowed to get specific information out to the masses.

It was a really, really cool light though!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 09:03:54 AM
Maybe my words were a little harsh . I can't wait to see it .

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 02:51:51 PM
Not a problem Dunc... it is a bit frustrating to me as well, but thems the breaks.

It really does look cool, and I can't wait to get one and take it for a test drive.

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 07:54:25 PM
I wonder if they would object to one of you sketching out what the light looks like on a pad right there in the booth... :D

We'll see it eventually :tu:
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69