Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

maintaining the SURGE

Offline rockyman500

maintaining the SURGE
on: February 06, 2009, 04:25:21 AM
           I went and sharpened the knife and it passed the paper cut test. For lubrication, cleaning, and rust-protecting, I used some Rem-Oil with Teflon lubricant that also acts as a protective layer. When I went and bought it, D.J. (old-timer that runs local sporting good store) said that he had "the best stuff on the planet." I went and put some at ALL the joints (pliers, OH blades, Screwdrivers, etc.). Then, I went and used some Q-tips that had a little bit of Rem-Oil on the tip and clean the insides of the handles and the outside blades (not blades, just were it is stored) and wiped it down and removed the excess.

Is there anything else and does that sound alright?
[

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Re: maintaining the SURGE
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:37:27 AM
Keep away from direct sunlight, any form or body of water, and small boats  :D you're good to go.

Offline rockyman500

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:44:08 AM
sunlight?
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:44:56 AM
           I went and sharpened the knife and it passed the paper cut test. For lubrication, cleaning, and rust-protecting, I used some Rem-Oil with Teflon lubricant that also acts as a protective layer. When I went and bought it, D.J. (old-timer that runs local sporting good store) said that he had "the best stuff on the planet." I went and put some at ALL the joints (pliers, OH blades, Screwdrivers, etc.). Then, I went and used some Q-tips that had a little bit of Rem-Oil on the tip and clean the insides of the handles and the outside blades (not blades, just were it is stored) and wiped it down and removed the excess.

Sounds good...way more maintenence than most folks do and their tools are working fine.  You're are going to be a lot smoother opening though :multi:
[

Offline rockyman500

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 04:47:07 AM

Sounds good...way more maintenence than most folks do and their tools are working fine.  You're are going to be a
lot smoother opening though :multi:

Well, supposedly, Leathermans "rust." So, it seems good to me.
[

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:48:28 AM
sunlight?

supposed to be a joke sigh zzz  :D

Offline rockyman500

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 04:50:56 AM
Is the whole rust issue really that bad? And how do I polish the outsides? I like to keep in the best shape possible!
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 09:59:18 AM
Is the whole rust issue really that bad?

No. It's greatly exaggerated.

If you use it in a damp environment, just wipe it down when you've finished and you'll be fine :tu:

I used to come here a lot.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 10:38:04 AM
My Kick & PST (each of which have been carried and used in anger) have both survived frequent salt water swims, as well as being dropped in grit and silt, among other things - with a quick fresh water rinse once in a while they are doing fine. (The PST picked up a little rust a while back, but was easy enough to clean off)

I understand the Surge is more technical, and has more nooks/moving parts, so more care might be necessary.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 11:31:14 AM
I really just lube mine and thow them back int he sheath. I actually do very little to maintain them and usually find gunk in all the nooks and crannies.
S

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 12:28:26 PM
I have been carrying the SURGE for a long time... I'd advise you to only use Tuf-Glide or graphic lube.. The SURGE already comes pretty well broken in (you can easily one hand open the pliers) and with more lubricant I find it loosens up faster.. But yeah, what your doing is good.. The Rem Oil is going to attract dirt and grime though..  :-\
B

Offline rockyman500

Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 04:27:13 PM
I have been carrying the SURGE for a long time... I'd advise you to only use Tuf-Glide or graphic lube.. The SURGE already comes pretty well broken in (you can easily one hand open the pliers) and with more lubricant I find it loosens up faster.. But yeah, what your doing is good.. The Rem Oil is going to attract dirt and grime though..  :-\

Well, I do wipe of the excess from all "nooks." SO, it shouldn't happen.
[

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 06:01:49 PM
The guy gave you good advice about the Rem Oil. You are doing a good job. Those of us that take care of our tools get to enjoy them longer that's for sure. Pride of ownership is important too. Keeping the tool looking good and sharp will make you proud to own it even several years after the purchase!  :multi:
NRA Life member

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 06:34:38 PM
I target shoot a lot and make my own bore cleaner/CLP called Ed's Red. I also use it to lube and protect my knifes and tools. One part ATF, one part paint thinner, one part kerosene and 3/4 pound lanolin. Good stuff you can handle blued metal after oiling and you will not get rusty finger prints. Here is a link to gun oil tests you might be surprised how your oil fair ed. But keep in mind that the tests were done under extreme conditions. Lets face it most us are not going to wipe down our tools with  water and put them in a damp place to how long it takes them to rust. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=503

Mike
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:39:25 PM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Offline rockyman500

Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 07:52:29 PM
The guy gave you good advice about the Rem Oil. You are doing a good job. Those of us that take care of our tools get to enjoy them longer that's for sure. Pride of ownership is important too. Keeping the tool looking good and sharp will make you proud to own it even several years after the purchase!  :multi:

thanks.

when he went to grab it, he accidentally grabbed another one and he LUNGED for it so it didnt fall. Then he said, "Not bad for a seventy year old!"
[

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 09:50:05 PM
Wow you do way more than I do when it comes to maintaining your tools. The most I do is give them a rinse in hot soapy water then a quick dry under the hand dryer at work.
Just remember not to feed you SURGE!!! after midnight or this is what you'll end up with. :D
"

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 05:38:28 AM
Anoint it with oil every day
keep the Rust Monster away.
R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!