Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spirit owners club

Dunc · 2922 · 260399

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: Spirit owners club
Reply #1350 on: November 20, 2015, 12:38:36 AM
Instead of replacing my spirit x just to get the butter blade, would it be possible to just add serrations to the main blade?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1351 on: November 20, 2015, 09:04:37 AM
should be. I think Kampfer might have some experience doing that
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #1352 on: November 20, 2015, 10:59:48 AM
Well I hate my Spirit , since I got it few months ago, it makes me leave my Swisschamp and my Deluxe Tinker at home. I always pair the Spirit with Compact or Manager.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #1353 on: November 20, 2015, 06:01:09 PM
should be. I think Kampfer might have some experience doing that
Nope, I only reprofiled the butter blade to clip point.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #1354 on: November 20, 2015, 06:49:44 PM
Got my Christmas Spirits for 2015 . One to add to my stable , one for someone else . At the same time , I also picked up a Delmont collection , nail clipper penknife .

Chris

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #1355 on: November 20, 2015, 11:57:40 PM
Instead of replacing my spirit x just to get the butter blade, would it be possible to just add serrations to the main blade?
You could like anything else Youtube'it to find a tutorial on how too. Most likely all you'd need is a vise, thin fine circular file or ceramic rod,(doubt you'd find a really thin ceramic rod though) along with a steady hand. Personally I'd be too afraid of possibly ruining a good blade. I'd keep the X model and just get the standard if it was financially feasible. Things may go on sale soon, and both may have a place in your EDC rotation. Serrated for work, plain edge for EDC.

If your interested I do have a excellent condition (and I do mean excellent condition) used standard model I may be interested in trading...maybe. I personally prefer a straight edge due to ease of maintenance, but see serrations usage for thicker heavier duty materials.

Let me know. I'm located in the US if your wondering.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:23:38 AM by Fattsgalore »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #1356 on: November 21, 2015, 12:16:07 AM

I'm sure there'll be someone (now or in the near future) who'd like an X rather than their standard model. It'll be a lot easier to trade/straight swap with the right person than try to serrate a blade without screwing it up.  ;)

Personally I prefer the X, and have one plus an RT, and traded away both mine that had the butter blade. All you need is the right person on the trade forum, and two people will be very happy with minimum risk and hassle  :cheers:

Normally, I actually prefer my multitool blade to be different from my folder, and quite welcome a serrated or CE blade. For some reason I never got along with the Spirit butter blade though. Some people love it though, so don't let me put you off trying it out, just don't knacker up your X and do someone out of a good trade  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #1357 on: November 21, 2015, 12:56:07 AM

I'm sure there'll be someone (now or in the near future) who'd like an X rather than their standard model. It'll be a lot easier to trade/straight swap with the right person than try to serrate a blade without screwing it up.  ;)

Personally I prefer the X, and have one plus an RT, and traded away both mine that had the butter blade. All you need is the right person on the trade forum, and two people will be very happy with minimum risk and hassle  :cheers:

Normally, I actually prefer my multitool blade to be different from my folder, and quite welcome a serrated or CE blade. For some reason I never got along with the Spirit butter blade though. Some people love it though, so don't let me put you off trying it out, just don't knacker up your X and do someone out of a good trade  :cheers:
I agree on all accounts as far as different blade options. I do not have the skills of adding my own serrations so that is out of the question. Trying to swap sounds good.

You could like anything else Youtube'it to find a tutorial on how too. Most likely all you'd need is a vise, thin fine circular file or ceramic rod,(doubt you'd find a really thin ceramic rod though) along with a steady hand. Personally I'd be too afraid of possibly ruining a good blade. I'd keep the X model and just get the standard if it was financially feasible. Things may go on sale soon, and both may have a place in your EDC rotation. Serrated for work, plain edge for EDC.

If your interested I do have a excellent condition (and I do mean excellent condition) used standard model I may be interested in trading...maybe. I personally prefer a straight edge due to ease of maintenance, but see serrations usage for thicker heavier duty materials.

Let me know. I'm located in the US if your wondering.

Send me a pm with pics and maybe we can work something out.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

scotland Offline Dunkeld

Reply #1358 on: November 28, 2015, 08:31:20 PM
Ok, had my standard Spirit for a couple of weeks now so I guess I'm in.

I've carried it every day (paired with an Explorer) and used it loads. I like the pliers, you can certainly apply plenty of power and they feel like they can take it. Used the file, chisel, opener/pry, philips head driver, blade and snips (I don't count them as scissors). No complaints       
at all. It sits fine in my pocket....in fact it's oddly less noticeable than the Explorer. I wouldn't mind a really thin slim-fit leather sheath (the kind with no fastener) but doubtless I'll stumble across something.

I see there's a lot of debate about the snips (scissors) but I don't really get it....brilliant wee tool with lots of uses. The chisel and serrated blade are great.

Only thing I noticed is as the tool rotates the file can be an irritant if you are using the philips for more than 5 minutes but I'd hardly call it an issue.

Doubt I'll ever use the L driver, bits, corkscrew and large leather sheath that came with it as accessories....maybe I'll try and swap them for a Compact, which I think will pair up with this better than the Explorer.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #1359 on: November 29, 2015, 09:04:38 PM

Only thing I noticed is as the tool rotates the file can be an irritant if you are using the philips for more than 5 minutes but I'd hardly call it an issue.

...maybe I'll try and swap them for a Compact, which I think will pair up with this better than the Explorer.

Phillips for 5 minutes would send me running for a drill/driver, but I have noticed if you open the opposing handle and have a longer driver, it's more comfortable than using it fully closed.  :tu:

The Compact pairs up with the Spirit perfectly (except the lack of small blade), and I use this combo frequently. The robust tools of the Spirit are great for mechanical and general household, and even industrial use, while the Compact fills in the gaps for delicate or more precision tasks, the scale tools are very handy.

I keep a Plus kit in my tool bag, it works well for a grab-and-go repair kit, but agree, not necessarily a good EDC choice (for me anyway). :)

You are definitely in, especially if you are pocket carrying it.  :cheers:

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #1360 on: February 12, 2016, 01:59:18 AM
Back in. Sold my spirit w/butter blade a couple years ago. Regretted it ever since. Replaced with the X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #1361 on: February 12, 2016, 03:44:51 PM
Hacked Spirit:

(Pocket clip, scissors modded to open wider)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1362 on: February 12, 2016, 09:17:30 PM
Hacked Spirit:

so cool mate  :drool: how easy was it too do  :salute:

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #1363 on: February 12, 2016, 09:30:04 PM
I am still deciding if i will pull the trigger on a Black oxide swisstool spirit x with cap crimper.
I can get a pretty good deal on it and have been lurking on a spirit x for a while to replace my Swisstool x as edc.

Not sure if i like the BO over the SS, new it looks cool. But after i have (ab)used it will probably look like a beater within a month :facepalm:

New the spirit is too expensive for me but i can buy a new BO spirit x for 65 euros.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:33:41 PM by anditsgone »

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #1364 on: February 12, 2016, 09:34:46 PM
Dooo it! :)

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #1365 on: February 12, 2016, 10:30:23 PM
Hacked Spirit:

Nice clip!  :tu:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #1366 on: February 12, 2016, 11:14:33 PM
so cool mate  :drool: how easy was it too do  :salute:

Thanks zed. :tu: A couple of hours mucking about, not too difficult. Have a look here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64612.0.html :cheers:

Nice clip!  :tu:

Thanks! :salute:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1367 on: February 13, 2016, 09:52:26 AM
I'll take a look mate  :salute:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #1368 on: February 13, 2016, 02:36:59 PM
I am still deciding if i will pull the trigger on a Black oxide swisstool spirit x with cap crimper.
I can get a pretty good deal on it and have been lurking on a spirit x for a while to replace my Swisstool x as edc.

Not sure if i like the BO over the SS, new it looks cool. But after i have (ab)used it will probably look like a beater within a month :facepalm:

New the spirit is too expensive for me but i can buy a new BO spirit x for 65 euros.

You mean one of these ...  :pok:

In my experience the BO Victorinox tools get nicer when you've used them for some time, they can look quite "bad" new out of the box.

Click here for the "funny story" about me buying a BO Swisstool at the factory store in Ibach ...

P.S. If you're not going to buy that new BO Spirit X for 65 Euros, maybe you could help me get it, I would immediately pay 65 Euros for it  :pok:.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #1369 on: February 13, 2016, 03:09:02 PM

You mean one of these ...  :pok:

In my experience the BO Victorinox tools get nicer when you've used them for some time, they can look quite "bad" new out of the box.

Click here for the "funny story" about me buying a BO Swisstool at the factory store in Ibach ...

P.S. If you're not going to buy that new BO Spirit X for 65 Euros, maybe you could help me get it, I would immediately pay 65 Euros for it  :pok:.

Yeah i have contacted the seller that i would like to buy one.
I have not heard back from him yet.

I have read your story, i guess that they dont mind their out of the box finish so much on military multitools?? :think:

All my tools become a beater anyway :facepalm:

I use the tool al lot on the pavement when i am working on my cars. Would the coating scratch off easily? I heard that the Victorinox black oxide is more shiny than leatherman but it is also one off the most durable black oxide coating on the market?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 03:18:16 PM by anditsgone »

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #1370 on: February 13, 2016, 03:31:26 PM

I have read your story, i guess that they dont mind their out of the box finish so much on military multitools?? :think:

I use the tool al lot on the pavement when i am working on my cars. Would the coating scratch off easily? I heard that the Victorinox black oxide is more shiny than leatherman but it is also one off the most durable black oxide coating on the market?

Ouch ... BO tools on the pavement ...  :dwts:

I do think the Victorinox BO coating is more durable than the Leatherman BO, but I fear any type of coating is going to scratch under those circumstances, that's tough for regular stainless tools also.

But ... a beat up BO tool can still look nice, call it "character"  ;).

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #1371 on: February 13, 2016, 03:48:19 PM

Ouch ... BO tools on the pavement ...  :dwts:

I do think the Victorinox BO coating is more durable than the Leatherman BO, but I fear any type of coating is going to scratch under those circumstances, that's tough for regular stainless tools also.

But ... a beat up BO tool can still look nice, call it "character"  ;).

Yep,one of the reasons why i decided to stay away from all kinds of coatings. i dont mind wear. but one large scratch always looks so silly.

I am also not sure if i like the cap crimper in the pliers because i use that part of the plier a lot to bend and straighten things because it is the nearest part near the pivot so it doesn't brake as fast.

If i would buy a regular spirit X it would cost me 90 euros which i find a lot of money. I may think about that but i'd rather pay 45 for a second hand example. unfourtanly there isn't one availble at the moment.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #1372 on: February 14, 2016, 03:30:26 PM
Pulled the trigger on a black oxide Spirit X. It will probably arrive Tuesday.
We will see how the coating holds up. :think:

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #1373 on: February 14, 2016, 08:51:21 PM
If you end up disliking it, I'm sure it will be very easy to sell here :)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #1374 on: February 15, 2016, 01:24:46 AM

Are there any more where you bought yours ...  ?   :pok:

:whistle:

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #1375 on: February 16, 2016, 01:18:41 PM

Yes there are, but it is the wrong model.  :facepalm:
I asked specifically if it was the version with scissors. But it is the s model so i have asked if i can return it on their cost.

Unless you want to buy it. I paid 63.50 for the tool, it comes in the box but without the sheath.
63.50 is my asking price. That is excluded the shipping cost to Belgium.

Except for being the wrong model i really like the spirit, this thing is a wave killer.
Quality is amazing. The lockup and deployment is even smoother than on my Swisstool x.

I agree that when new this thing i a mess, i understand why Victorinox is not really fond of bringing the black oxide tools to the public. The average buyer will probably ask what for dirty oily piece of multitool this is. Army guys don't care.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:38:05 PM by anditsgone »

us Offline mley1

• Do it right the FIRST time!
Reply #1376 on: February 16, 2016, 04:47:36 PM
I like carrying my Spirit in it's sheath on my belt, with my Soldier in my pocket. The little classic rides in my little watch pocket on my right side. They make a great combination. The Spirit, and all of the products Vic puts out, is of excellent quality. The fit and finish are fantastic. I do want a Spirit X though. This one with the butter blade is ok. I'm just not a fan of serrations. I prefer a regular blade. Other than that it's a fantastic tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:54:32 PM by mley1 »
Thanks y'all,

Marty

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #1377 on: February 16, 2016, 05:11:24 PM

I asked specifically if it was the version with scissors. But it is the s model so i have asked if i can return it on their cost.

Unless you want to buy it. I paid 63.50 for the tool, it comes in the box but without the sheath.

Except for being the wrong model i really like the spirit, this thing is a wave killer.
Quality is amazing. The lockup and deployment is even smoother than on my Swisstool x.

I agree that when new this thing i a mess, i understand why Victorinox is not really fond of bringing the black oxide tools to the public. The average buyer will probably ask what for dirty oily piece of multitool this is. Army guys don't care.

I was thinking about buying myself another BO Spirit X, the S version of the Spirit is not my favourite to be honest, I like the butterblade on my regular Spirit, but I don't see the point in having the PE blade and the butterblade on one tool.  I do like the BO Swisstool S which also has 2 blades, a PE blade and a serrated one, but this serrated blade is a real serrated blade (see pic).

So, thank you very much for the offer, and when you find a BO Spirit X for that price, I would like you to send me a PM with the seller's info (if he has more than one), but I'll pass for this one. 

Greetings from Belgium and thank you once again  :salute:.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #1378 on: February 16, 2016, 05:18:50 PM

I was thinking about buying myself another BO Spirit X, the S version of the Spirit is not my favourite to be honest, I like the butterblade on my regular Spirit, but I don't see the point in having the PE blade and the butterblade on one tool.  I do like the BO Swisstool S which also has 2 blades, a PE blade and a serrated one, but this serrated blade is a real serrated blade (see pic).

So, thank you very much for the offer, and when you find a BO Spirit X for that price, I would like you to send me a PM with the seller's info (if he has more than one), but I'll pass for this one. 

I understand, i also think it is a little bit pointless to put two knives in one tool.
For me scissors on a multitool is a must otherwise i am not burying it.
I already have contacted the seller but have not heard back from them yet.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #1379 on: February 16, 2016, 07:48:29 PM

I understand, i also think it is a little bit pointless to put two knives in one tool.
For me scissors on a multitool is a must otherwise i am not burying it.
I already have contacted the seller but have not heard back from them yet.

Me, on the other hand, I like having two knife blades on my SwissTools. I've got a Spirit and a SwissTool of the S variant because I don't like the Spirit's scissors and the ones on the SwissTool I find unconfortable to use. Too bad the model you got has a cap crimper, anditsgone, or I'd be interested in buying it from you.

:drink: gentlemen.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69