Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A "how-to" for basic SAK mods. Pic heavy.

Gareth · 165 · 117507

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
A "how-to" for basic SAK mods. Pic heavy.
on: March 11, 2009, 03:28:06 PM
Here is a little “how-to” guide to a basic SAK mod on a 91mm cellidor knife, although most of the ideas are the same for other sizes as well.  I suspect ever modder has a slightly different way of doing things but this is the way that works for me with only a few basic tools, as can be seen in the first pic.

First thing to do is to pop off the scales from your donor knives.  I use an old SAK with a fairly blunt small blade and slip it under the scale.  Move it up to just behind the pin and pop the scale up.  Repeat for the other two pins.

Next you are going to drill out the pins.  You can see here that I start with a centre mark on the pin head to act as a guide for the drill.  After taking the pic I realised the mark was a bit off and so did it again.

Now all you need to do is drill out the pin.  I use a 2.5mm bit.  Take care not to drill too much and damage the bushes.  For the pin holding the back tools I do a very little drilling and then file the rest of the head off.  All you need do then is punch through the pins to release the tools and backsprings.  Remember and take note of which is the centre bush as it is smaller than the other two.

Now you will have a pile of bits and there is no going back.  Take this opportunity to give all the tools, liners etc a good clean.  Most of the time a bit of a scrub with a scour pad will do the trick.

A quick shot here to show the new and old liners next to the blades.  On the new liner (top) you can see an indent that will sit next to the blade tang.  This is to compensate for the slimmer tang that can be seen on the newer blade next to it.  The most important thing you need to keep in mind is not to mix up old and new parts.  They won’t work and the blade will sit wrong in the finished knife, striking the top of the small blade.  Ask me how I know.  ::)

The next thing I do is to prep up the new pins.  If you can get pin stock that is 2.5mm for the outside pins and 2.2mm for the centre ones (2.25mm is the Vic standard but I don’t think anyone has yet found a supplier).  I always give myself plenty of extra length to work with.  If you look at the pin sitting on the vice you can see the “peak” left after having cut it to size with a pair of snips.  You need to file this flat to give a nice even surface to work on.

Take a small hammer and peen over the edge to give a nice, flattened, mushroom shaped top.  Repeat the filing and peening for all four pins.  The last part is to lightly file the other ends of the pins to a slight point.  This will help in getting the tools and liners to slip over the ends.

You can now put the bushings on the peened end of the pins (make sure the bushes are sitting the right way up) and put them through the full liner.  I always start from the opener side and work up to the blades.  This lets the SAK sit flat without rocking on the corkscrew that sits out quite a bit.  You can also keep a made up SAK near to hand as a reference, just to make sure you are putting things in the right place.

As I don’t use a jig of any kind you will almost inevitably come across the problem of getting the tool to sit well with the spring.  Don’t worry; get all but one of the tools sitting where they should be.  One of the tools will end up sitting like the saw below, that's OK just drop on the next liner.

I have had to do the next bit with two pics, simply because I don’t have an extra hand to hold the camera.  Hold everything together with one hand as seen in the first pic.  You can see the tool sitting beside the spring instead of on top of it.

With the other hand put a fine screwdriver or similar between the pin and the spring.  Leaver the spring away from the pin and keep strong pressure on with the other hand.  When you remove the screwdriver everything should pop into place.  Repeat this for all the layers.  You may find this tricky at first but with just a little practice this takes no time at all.

We are now on the home straight.  :)  When you have the blade layer in place (don’t forget the spacer next to the small blade), along with the last liner, we need to look at the final peening.  Drop the bushes onto the pins.  You will now need to cut the pins to length.  Try not to make the pin to long, you only need 1-1.5mm to work with.  Once cut you will have the same nasty tool marks as you did when prepping the pin.  As before you will need to file the top flat for a good surface to work on.  Once you have it ready then give it a couple of strong taps while holding the SAK on a flat metal surface.  I use one of the flats on my vice as an improvised anvil.  Use the ball-peen to help work the edges of the pin out to fill the bushing.  You can see the three stages here: the far right pin has just been cut, the one next to it has been filed and the one on the far left has mostly been peened.

The MOST important thing is not to over do it.  Keep checking the tools for any side play, once it has gone stop hitting the pin!  If you still have any metal sitting proud of the bushing then file it down (the scales won’t go on it you have to much there).  Once you have cut, filed and peened all the pins give the tools a last check over for any play and pop the scales on.  Job done, you are now the proud owner of your first mod.

As I said at the start there are certainly other ways of doing this.  This way works for me, but if I have made any glaring errors (either in the modding or the writing) please jump in and say so.   Thanks for reading.  :salute:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:45:15 PM by Gareth UK »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: A "how-to" for basic SAK mods. Pic heavy.
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:37:56 PM
Super write up!  :cheers:   :salute:  and great pics too.

So how did you find that the new and old blades don't mix :P

Sorry. Top job chap  :tu:

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 03:43:45 PM

So how did you find that the new and old blades don't mix :P

See the SAK I'm pulling apart?  :ahhh  My only excuse is that I had a few blades lying about and picked up the wrong one.  :-[  I thought it worth mentioning.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 03:46:38 PM
Awesome Primer!

Too bad it's 12 hours too late  :ahhh

I went at a donor SAK last night.  One bush was thrashed (the first) but otherwise it went along exactly as you laid it out.

I have to wait for new pin stock, but I hope to get the first mod together this weekend...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 03:48:30 PM
Sorry it's late Whippy, you know you have to show us pics of the mod though, right?

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:48:36 PM
Great post 8) Now who wants to send me bits of SAK's so i can give this a go :D :pok:
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 03:48:59 PM
Excellent tutorial that Gareth - very clear and precise.

Top job :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 03:53:42 PM
Bloody fine work mate :salute:

An excellent tutorial if ever there was one :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 03:58:50 PM
excelent!!! this one is going straight to my bookmarks :salute:
A

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 05:25:00 PM
Can this be a sticky?

Offline Ninjaz

Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 07:21:15 PM
That exactly what I needed :) thanks
[

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 07:27:31 PM
Very useful indeed... now I need a crappy old one to butcher  >:D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 07:28:13 PM
Thanks for the nice feedback folks.  :tu:

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 07:29:13 PM
Gareth, simply outstanding!  :tu:

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 07:46:12 PM
Excellent, excellent tutorial! Thanks very much. I am sure many people will find this resource useful over the years.  :cheers:

I am still just a little confused about peening technique. When peening into a bushing, do you just strike straight down with a flat edge?

And if so, how do you get the rounded peen like on an alox knife?
[

Offline Ben X

Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 07:58:00 PM
I second the motion to sticky this! It blows my mind that on both of the SAK forums that I'm on it's not stickied at the top how to mod. All the car forums I'm on have the "big common jobs" stickied at the top like timing belt write ups etc. It only makes sense to have it here so every week someone new doesn't say "Hello, I would like to mod, how's it done?"

AWESOME job Gareth! I have to say I am totally impressed! And excellent choice of mod, Camper + Chisel. Are you going to give it a name, or just Camper Plus, or what? I said this already over at SOSAK but next time I give it a go (possibly tonight) I will be definitely trying your peening method now that I've seen it done!
"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 08:30:46 PM
Excellent, excellent tutorial! Thanks very much. I am sure many people will find this resource useful over the years.  :cheers:

I am still just a little confused about peening technique. When peening into a bushing, do you just strike straight down with a flat edge?

And if so, how do you get the rounded peen like on an alox knife?

Good questions.  I use both the flat and ball ends of the hammer.  The flat to start with and then the ball to fine tune a bit, ie make sure it's filling the bush nicely.  If there is still play in the tools then back to the flat for a bit more.  It becomes a question of feel.  All that said SporK told me on another thread that he barely uses the ball-peen at all, so it's somewhat a question of personnel preference as well.

As to the Alox, from the factory they aren't peened but compressed so a lot easier for them.  I have only done one Alox mod and had slightly mixed results.  Basically I tried to use the ball-peen to bring down the edge and give it that slight domed look.  Mostly it worked, but not perfectly, some ended up quite flat anyway.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 10:19:54 PM
 :tu: Very cool Gareth I like the pics and the explanation :cheers: Very helpful thread :D

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 10:35:12 PM
Very well done Gareth

Now it's Neils turn to show his double-sided noodle-wrist teeny-hammer technique...  :pok: :D

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 10:42:17 PM
Very well done Gareth (Image removed from quote.)

Now it's Neils turn to show his double-sided noodle-wrist teeny-hammer technique...  :pok: :D

Its very similar, just much slower :D

Hey, I figured the how to swap the corkscrew out tutorial would buy me a bit of time  ::)

Actually there are enough differences in the way we do things that another tutorial wouldn't be a total waste of bandwidth.  Just no holding me to a time frame, I've started writing my project lists on rolls of wallpaper  :ahhh  :P

Neil

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 01:07:07 AM
Fabulous tutorial Gareth, simply fabulous! :tu:

I've never tried a SAK mod before, being somewhat intimidated by the whole process. But your pictures and words make it sound easy. I'll have to give it a try now. :) 

By the way: Thread Made Sticky :salute:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline bingofuel

Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 01:46:54 AM
Very cool, this makes it so much easier than reading 10 different threads covering 10 different aspects of modding.  I may even give this a go sometime soon.  If I may make a suggestion, can you please clarify the pin diameters for each frame size, just so there's no confusion? e.g.

91mm: 2.5mm outer, 2.2mm (2.25) center
84mm: ?
74mm: ?
58mm: ?

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 02:05:00 AM
91mm: 2.5mm outer, 2.2mm (2.25) center
84mm: 2.25mm for all
74mm: 2mm modern, 1.5mm older
58mm: 1.5mm

Neil

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 02:35:13 AM
Very well done Gareth (Image removed from quote.)

Its very similar, just much slower :D

Hey, I figured the how to swap the corkscrew out tutorial would buy me a bit of time  ::)

Actually there are enough differences in the way we do things that another tutorial wouldn't be a total waste of bandwidth.  Just no holding me to a time frame, I've started writing my project lists on rolls of wallpaper  :ahhh  :P

Neil

Please, another tutorial would be great.  As I alluded to there are other ways of doing mods and I, for one, would love to see it.

PS. also huge kudos to SporK and his tutorials, and Scibeer for the encouragement when I was starting.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:38:10 AM by Gareth UK »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 02:36:07 AM
Just a thought - we should add tutorials / tips and tricks on modding to the wiki(s) - you can always link back to this thread for discussion (and vice versa), but it's perhaps a bit more structured than a simple stickied discussion thread?

Just a thought really.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 03:28:25 AM
Excelent tutorial Gareth  :tu: thank you  :salute:  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 03:57:49 AM
Just a thought - we should add tutorials / tips and tricks on modding to the wiki(s) - you can always link back to this thread for discussion (and vice versa), but it's perhaps a bit more structured than a simple stickied discussion thread?

Just a thought really.

Good thought :tu: :D

I am actually learning ppl that doesn't happen much as I am usually to thick to comprehend :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 10:57:42 PM
What a great tutorial.  :)

Well done mate.  :cheers:
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 11:47:47 PM
Is there a best glue to use for re-attaching the scales?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 11:49:59 PM
I use Araldite - works a treat.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24