Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Micra Finishes???

Guest · 25 · 5981

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Leatherman Micra Finishes???
on: March 19, 2009, 05:31:35 AM
What's the deal with Leatherman Micra finishes?  I know there is a painted finish, and there is a anodized finish, but I saw a Micra yesterday that was a standard Micra with a colored plastic cover. I've never seen these before. Are they unusual? When were they made? 
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Micra Finishes???
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 07:00:24 AM
I think all newer version have plastic overlay since it doesn't scratch off like paint. There is no anodized finish.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:14:40 AM
I think all newer version have plastic overlay since it doesn't scratch off like paint. There is no anodized finish.

I have one that is anodized.  :think:

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:06:50 AM
Your answer ;)

[

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:13:42 AM

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 11:17:54 AM
Yup - a picture paints a thousand words and all that.

Simply, you can see that Leatherman took a few attempts at getting a coloured Micra onto the market, I think to compete with SAKs, which seems logical. Some of them were not great ideas, and to be honest, I don't think they've cracked it yet!

The painted Micras look fantastic for about a day of use before the paint starts scratching off which is a real shame IMO, as when new they look by far the best. These were not in production for long due to the poor performance of the finish, and the ones that were sold have inevitably shed their paint by now, so these models in good condition are very rare nowadays. I'm still amazed that the one that Kwakster is auctioning hasn't had loads of interest - maybe there's a few snipers here ;)

The next "solution" was the polycarbonate (plastic) translucent covers. I really don't like these at all, for two reasons. 1) They add more bulk to the tool and 2) gunge and moisture get trapped between the covers and the steel underneath and you have a perfect recipe for rust. With the covers being translucent, you are going to see that gunge and rust too. Personally, I don't think that is compatible with a tool you intend to carry on a keychain. They don't fit in the standard Micra sheath either, so LM had to do a seperate line of sheaths for these.

The third and current attempt introduces the anodised covers,The anodised covers certainly have a more resilient finish, but again they add a lot of bulk to the tool and actually scratch up eventually anyway (just like the Juice). The biggest issue (as LM might see it) with this design is that the unique design of the tool with the tweezers shown when closed, is actually hidden, and are a bit more awkward to get out.

The dates on some of my Micras suggest that the Polycarbonate and anodised covers were in production simultaneously for a while, but looking at the 2009 LM catalog, it looks as though the anodised covers have won the day - and that's probably right.

Personally, I avoid all of the hassle by carrying a plain SS Micra - which is practically bomb-proof.

I took this picture to show the different attempts at making a green Micra:

I used to come here a lot.

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 11:21:43 AM
Yup - a picture paints a thousand words and all that.

Simply, you can see that Leatherman took a few attempts at getting a coloured Micra onto the market, I think to compete with SAKs, which seems logical. Some of them were not great ideas, and to be honest, I don't think they've cracked it yet!

The painted Micras look fantastic for about a day of use before the paint starts scratching off which is a real shame IMO, as when new they look by far the best. These were not in production for long due to the poor performance of the finish, and the ones that were sold have inevitably shed their paint by now, so these models in good condition are very rare nowadays. I'm still amazed that the one that Kwakster is auctioning hasn't had loads of interest - maybe there's a few snipers here ;)

The next "solution" was the polycarbonate (plastic) translucent covers. I really don't like these at all, for two reasons. 1) They add more bulk to the tool and 2) gunge and moisture get trapped between the covers and the steel underneath and you have a perfect recipe for rust. With the covers being translucent, you are going to see that gunge and rust too. Personally, I don't think that is compatible with a tool you intend to carry on a keychain. They don't fit in the standard Micra sheath either, so LM had to do a seperate line of sheaths for these.

The third and current attempt introduces the anodised covers,The anodised covers certainly have a more resilient finish, but again they add a lot of bulk to the tool and actually scratch up eventually anyway (just like the Juice). The biggest issue (as LM might see it) with this design is that the unique design of the tool with the tweezers shown when closed, is actually hidden, and are a bit more awkward to get out.

The dates on some of my Micras suggest that the Polycarbonate and anodised covers were in production simultaneously for a while, but looking at the 2009 LM catalog, it looks as though the anodised covers have won the day - and that's probably right.

Personally, I avoid all of the hassle by carrying a plain SS Micra - which is practically bomb-proof.

Good piece of reading mate :D
[

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 04:33:29 PM
I think there is to versions of the silver finish.
(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 07:41:29 PM

Depends what you mean by version, changing the stamping on the scissors from "USA" to "TOOL" doesn't really qualify as an extra version for me.

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:01:41 PM

Depends what you mean by version, changing the stamping on the scissors from "USA" to "TOOL" doesn't really qualify as an extra version for me.

Not that, I meant one version is brushed and the other one is more polished.
(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 09:08:56 PM

Ah no. The brushed one's are actually coloured ones that have lost their paint of cover. If you were to Nitromors a painted one, the tool underneath isn't polished, presumably so the paint keyed  [a bit] better. But I'm 99.9% sure that they never marketed them with the brushed finish.

When I was selling Micras, I used to chuck the badly damaged painted ones into a Nitromors bath to clear off the last bits of coloured paint - that's how I discovered this.

I am a font of useless information, sadly I don't much that's useful  ::)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 09:47:40 PM

Ah no. The brushed one's are actually coloured ones that have lost their paint of cover. If you were to Nitromors a painted one, the tool underneath isn't polished, presumably so the paint keyed  [a bit] better. But I'm 99.9% sure that they never marketed them with the brushed finish.

When I was selling Micras, I used to chuck the badly damaged painted ones into a Nitromors bath to clear off the last bits of coloured paint - that's how I discovered this.

I am a font of useless information, sadly I don't much that's useful  ::)

I am full of useless info 2 according 2 my wife :D

Great bit of knowledge about the Micra Dave :tu:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 10:31:40 PM
Huh, that anodized version is news to me.

I like plain as well, mine's about to turn 10 years old, which is funny since I just bought it NIB earlier this year.  :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 02:51:12 AM
I heard somewhere that 1 Million PSTs were made. I wonder how many Micras there are?

I also wonder when it will be dropped in favour of the Squirt range? That must have been the idea behind the Squirts, and sooner or later LTG will start to view the Micra as preventing people from buying the Squirt.

:b2t:The commemorative Micra with the red, white and blue that's out this year, I guess will be painted - it doesn't say in the catalog.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 02:54:56 AM
I'm planning to buy one of those. I plan to carry it on the 4th of july with a flag Streamlight stylus.
(

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 10:02:17 PM
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 11:07:17 PM
Great because it was yours?  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 11:25:19 PM
I'm a fan of the ss look.  I wouldn't mind that special edition one though.
:like:    :MTO:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 11:28:21 PM
In the week that GG starts this thread, I finally land a blue painted Micra. It surely cannot be coincidence?

GG, would you please start a thread about a purple Micra please :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 11:46:38 PM
Another awesome Micra thread :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 04:37:35 AM
I wonder how many Micras there are?

I also wonder when it will be dropped in favour of the Squirt range?

7 years later, still going strong.  :cheers:  :multi:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 12:43:07 PM
I was puzzled by this. I received a coloured Micra and when I held it it felt immediately weird, like it was thicker.
I thought it was just my impression, maybe due to it being my first coloured one or something..,

But then I saw it, it has an additional plastic cover! So yeah, new(er) versions are thicker and do come with a cover.
I don't like the added thickness, it just spoils a perfectly slim and thin tool.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 12:49:08 PM
The Micra in your picture looks more like the anodised cover (rather than the plastic) Peacant. The plastic covers were translucent so you could read the stamped marking on the stainless beneath.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 02:23:53 PM
Still a nice variant Peacent :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00