Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

You could try walking into one of those FedEx Office print shop stores and see what they can do for you.  They should be able to squarely print that out for you on both sides of the paper and then cut it to size.  Then you can try making your own notebook or see if they can cover and bind it for you.
True, but the closest staples, office max, or ups, to us is like 2miles, and we don’t drive, now there is a little private shop about a mile away, right next to a little ice cream stand, if it wasn’t so freaking cold out I could push the Mrs in her wheelchair and go there and get some ice cream on the way back but I’d probably end up paying more then asking field notes to customize one for me..
JR
The Break Room / Re: Heavy Metal Club
« Last post by Antti Lammi on Today at 01:27:31 PM »
Some music for friday

Charon Religious / Delicious

Excalion - Wingman 

20240426_142456
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: SAK Hook Challenge
« Last post by IMR4198 on Today at 12:47:32 PM »
   Using a SAK to hold the book open.  I hope you figured out how to make a badge request for the Hook User Badge.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :tu:
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Four Layer Friday
« Last post by IMR4198 on Today at 12:31:20 PM »
     Four Layer Friday time has come.  Today it is a Huntsman.  I bought two SAKs that were marked down at a Walmart a long weary time ago.  A Spartan and a Huntsman.  Both red cell, since that was the choice.  Spartan cost about 8 bucks.  Huntsman was 14, I think.  Corkscrews with the ragged line on them.  I put them both back in their boxes and they got swapped off for something or other.  I didn't really like the red handles or the spear blades.  I was probably carrying an Schlieper stock knife at the time, or maybe some other 3 blade.  Could have been a Bear Paw or a Puma. 
     I didn't really like SAK knives then.  I had a Pocket Pal in high school, but didn't carry it at all.  I remember carrying a Case whittler at that time.  Three blade millwork knife.  This Huntsman is the second one I ever owned.  Bought it last summer.  Then I got a red one.  For some reason.
Best wishes.  G
 :D

PXL_20240425_160237418.jpg
* PXL_20240425_160237418.jpg (Filesize: 300.79 KB)

Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Explorer Challenge May 2024
« Last post by Antti Lammi on Today at 11:42:20 AM »
i will start carrying my Explorer when challenge begins, i havent yet carried it so much that i could really have strong opinion on it so this will test me many ways. Maybe exclusively carry this to see how good Explorer is.
Leatherman Tools / Re: What is being carried today ?
« Last post by Antti Lammi on Today at 11:31:55 AM »
Freeday Friday Carry  :woohoo:

20240426_122910 
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: What's your latest SAK?
« Last post by PTRSAK on Today at 11:23:02 AM »
It's a shame the scissors are broken but that's still a good looking SAK.  It should clean up pretty good.  A little soap and warm water with a stiff bristle brush will clean up most if not all of it.  I would then try a metal polish all over and see how it looks after that.

Are you going to try and replace the scissors?

Yes. I have Scissors to fit, they came from a small climber with broken backspring. I could just replace the missing half, but then I'd still have to source a single sided spring. Might end up drilling out the rivet and replacing the scissors whole. I don't think I have a main blade with the correct tang stamp is the major issue.
It's in the mail so I'll wait until it arrives to assess the best option for refurbishment.
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: The Sportsman Challenge - April 2024
« Last post by Brock O Lee on Today at 10:59:39 AM »
Day 26

The Sportsman supervised a science school project I am doing with my Gr 8 daughter.

She has to build a Middle Age siege weapon, and do a video and write-up. She chose to build a trebuchet, one of those sling catapults that was used to break down castle walls.

Naturally this means I am researching, designing and building a trebuchet, while my girl passes the tools and does the odd jobs... :whistle: The video and write-up is on her!

Figuring out how to make a counterweight

It is surprisingly tricky to get right, you have to tune the arm length, the counterweight mass, the sling length and the sling release trigger just right to get a good projectile trajectory.

The final product. This one works surprisingly well after a bit of fiddling. No the Sportsman did not go flying.

A big old girl in action...
Is it because it is not multi purpose like some other utility knife?
I think the popluarity of a certain youtube video does bring a lot of attention to the Millwaukee utility knife in the past years, and I still have yet to get one.

It's supposed to be small, but it's really thick, and extremely heavy. And it's not as well-made as the regular Fiskars utility knife. This one has a lot of play when closed and when opened. But the pivot is not a screw I can tighten to reduce the play.
The Gerber EAB is miles better than this, if you're looking for a small folding utility knife.
The Break Room / Re: Ten Things Everyone Should Be Able To Do
« Last post by Grant Lamontagne on Today at 10:45:49 AM »
Bringing this thread back up because a similar article has been circling around Facebook for a while now:

What a Young Man Should Know, 1933. A checklist for becoming a proper man.

This was published in the March 1933 issue of Harper’s Magazine.

The writer, Robert Littell, details the abilities, skills, accomplishments, and extra-curricular proficiencies that every man should have if they are to become a self-sufficient and well-rounded human being, ready for life, and eventually, marriage and raising their own children. The learning starts from a very young age.

Here is the (short) list:

1. He should know how to swim at least a mile, dive creditably, and not feel panicky under water. He should be able also to revive those less skilful than himself by rolling them on a barrel and pumping their helpless arms.

2. He should be able to drive an automobile well. And he should not be altogether helpless when a car breaks down. He must know how to change a tire and offer some sort of diagnosis when the engine sputters and dies.

3. He ought to know how to clean, load, and shoot a revolver or a rifle.

4. As for self-defense, a man should certainly be able to take care of himself in a scrap. He need not learn jujitsu — old-fashioned boxing will be enough.

5. He ought to know the rudiments of camping, how to build a fire, how to chop wood, how to take a cinder out of his eye, how to deal with a severed artery, how to doctor himself for ordinary ailments.

6. He should also be able to take care of other people in emergencies, to apply first aid, set a broken bone, revive a drunk or a victim of gas, deal with a fainting fit, administer the right emetic or antidote for a case of poisoning.

7. And he should be able to feed himself, to cook, not only because some day he may need to, but because cooking is one of the fine arts, and a source of infinite pleasure. He should be able to scramble eggs, brew coffee, broil a steak, dress a salad, carve a chicken, and produce, on occasion, one first-class dish, such as onion soup. The more he can do, in these days of the delicatessen store and the kitchenette, the better. It is not effeminate, it is not beyond him, and the best chefs are all men.

8. He should know how to use paint brushes, a saw, a hammer, and other common tools.

9. He should also have a beautiful and distinguished handwriting. But the bulk of his writing, particularly if he is a professional man who has much of it to do, should be done on a typewriter, capable of turning out three thousand words an hour.

10. He should play one outdoor game well, and have a workable smattering of several more. An American who cannot throw and catch a ball seems pathetic and grotesque.

11. The bicycle has gone, yet every young man should know how to ride one.

12. He should also be able to skate, sail a boat, and handle a canoe passably.

13. “hike” once in a long while but seldom walk.

15. He should know a great deal about animals and how to take care of them.

16. He should know how to ride a horse.

17. He should learn how to stay in a saddle with pleasure to himself and a minimum of annoyance to his mount.

18. He should learn how to dance.

19. He should know to play at least one card game.

20. He must have knowledge of how to tip naturally, justly, without fear and without reproach.

21. On the matter of alcohol, he should learn his capacity and stick within its limits; he should know something about the different kinds of drink, and which drinks produce chaos within him when mixed.

22. Where s:x is concerned, nature clearly intended us to make many mistakes in her hope that some of them would be productive.

23. He should know the rudiments of gambling. But gambling might be placed on the same plane as drink — the less use one has for it the better.

24. Higher than almost any other accomplishment on the list is knowing music. There is no reason why any young man who is not absolutely tone-deaf should not learn how to play one musical instrument well enough for it to be a self-resource and a tolerable pleasure to others.

25. A civilized man should know how to read. The ability to read, or rather the habit of reading, is very rare even among intelligent people, and has to be taught and kept up if it is not to become rusty.

26. He should have knowledge of at least one foreign language. French or German preferably both. German children learn an amazingly good brand of English without ever crossing their borders. Why can’t we? For one thing, we don’t really want to. Yet we should. An American who knows only English is blind in one eye.

27. He should know to travel well, efficiently, without fuss or complaint.

28. A young man should be able to express himself clearly before a crowd of strangers, without shyness, muddle, or a pathetic resort to “so much has been said and well said” or “I did not expect to be called on.”

29. The British adult can get to his feet, propose a toast, introduce a stranger, voice a civic protest, heckle a windbag politician, and give utterance to an unembarrassed thought.

30. A a man should command the elementary tool of written language, and be able to put simple things on paper in clear words.

31. He should have a good workable understanding of the structure of business, investments, and banks.

32. Let every educated man, as a necessary part of his education, be thrown into the muddy stream of American industry and see what it is like to swim alone on daily wages.

33. He should before reaching twenty-two have done something because he wanted to, whether other people wanted him to do it or not.

34. He should not acquire property unless he needs it. Insensitiveness to his personal property, unless of course it is extraordinarily beautiful, is a desirable skill for any man to have; It must be learned and worked at.

35. Unusual though this young man may be, he should not seem so. Is not a parent’s basic ambition for his child that he be very different from other people, yet manage to seem almost exactly like them?

Thoughts?

You know, other than being a bit biased (and a bit insulting) to Americans specifically, and also a bit sexist.

I fall down a bit on the car repair one- I can do some basic things but I'm not as good as I'd like, and musical instruments have always been at odds with my complete lack of musical talent.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD