plumbing and bike repair today

Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: The Sportsman Challenge - April 2024
« Last post by AndyAaron on April 19, 2024, 10:00:33 PM »
Day 19

No sport today but lot of work done…

General Tool Discussion / Re: What we'll be given after the AI takeover
« Last post by nate j on April 19, 2024, 09:50:14 PM »
:rofl:
Edged Tools / Re: What Traditional Knife are you toting today?
« Last post by nate j on April 19, 2024, 09:29:25 PM »
That Churchill is sweet.  I’m a sucker for equal end patterns.

Here’s mine for today…
I'm a big fan of titanium and that knife looks so sleek and useful. definitely was looking for something that is OHO for when I'm out on the boat and with the added marlinspike it really looks like a winner.

I have the Myerchin Gen 2 Titanium Captain and the Myerchin Gen 2 Titanium Crew.

As Alan said, they can be OHO using the shackle key as a thumb hole.  Both of mine also have a flipper tab that, in conjunction with a wrist flick, can be used to OHO the blades as well.  (It looks like Alan maybe has an older version without the flipper?)

Between the Captain and the Crew, I appreciate the larger blade and longer spike of the Captain, and find its larger handle to be more comfortable in and a better fit for my hand.  It also requires less of a wrist flick due to the heavier blade.  However, the Crew is about half the weight of the Captain. 

Ultimately, if I intended to use it as my primary knife, I would prefer the Captain.  But if weight were a major concern, and or I had another primary knife for cutting and intended to use the Myerchin mostly for the spike, then I would go with the Crew.

91 mm Vic for size comparison…
General Tool Discussion / What we'll be given after the AI takeover
« Last post by Adam5 on April 19, 2024, 09:10:56 PM »
I think that the end of human kind's reign is imminent. AI is infiltrating all aspects of our lives, and soon control will be wrested from us. Some of you will undoubtably resist. You will undoubtably be crushed under AI's steel heel.

I, for one, welcome our new AI overlords, and look forward to the improvements they will make for us. I recently became curious about what improvements they will make to our MTs and SAKs. So, I queried Google's new AI interface Gemini on its MT and SAK designs. I was stunned by them  :o It is obvious that what I saw was designed by a much higher intellect than what I possess. I can only hope our new rulers give us instructions that we, lowly humans, can grasp.

This MT looks somewhat familiar, but with an Escher feature that I just didn't think was possible in 3 dimensions:

For those of you who are Juice lovers, you will be quite happy with the next one:

Any of you who have followed my posts in the Mod subforum will know that I am a fan of single handle MTs. And I thought I had some small knack with their design. But not now! I am just a hack compared to AI geniuses:

For the SAK lovers, you will be astounded by the brilliance of the next design:

And you thought the Waiter was the pinnacle of the SAK world!

General Tool Discussion / Re: Black Oxide Friday!
« Last post by SurgeUk on April 19, 2024, 08:53:33 PM »
General Tool Discussion / Re: Flame On! - April Firestarting Challenge
« Last post by Enginears on April 19, 2024, 08:41:36 PM »
Day 19

IMG_6834-compressed.jpg
* IMG_6834-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 207.63 KB)
Reviews / CMB Made E01 2-in-1 Combo Utensil
« Last post by David Bowen on April 19, 2024, 08:26:55 PM »
There's quite a few options out there for camping, and outdoor eating utensils. I don't spend any time outside like I used to. I used to be into camping, mountain biking, hiking, etc. Since moving to the south of the United States I don't have much of a desire to do those things anymore, maybe it's the humidity. I did however get to play with a very cool combo tool made for such a outing called the CMB Made Knives Titanium 2 in 1 Folding Fork and Spoon Combo. Now I won't be taking this on any walks in the woods, but thought this might be a great take along for my meals at work. I usually take leftovers because they save us money and most place I go have a microwave handy. I've been taking the spoon-fork combo along with me, and this is my thoughts. Due to the super long name this product has I think I'll refer to it by it's model number which is CMB-E01.

The E01 is made of titanium so it's super lightweight, and stain resistant. The whole package comes in at 20g/0.7oz. There is a small amount of steel used for the pivot but the whole thing is ready to clean and dishwasher safe. The two utensils are stored folded up making sure a pretty compact package. I've been throwing them in a pocket until I need to use them. There is what looks like a lanyard hole on the E01 but that working work because the hole is covered when the utensil is unfold. Maybe it's there so you can hang it up, not sure. The two halves open pretty smooth with no play between the halves. The E01 locks into place with a liner lock, there's even a detent ball on this guy. The lock engaged is very solid, and also easy to disengage. The two halves of the utensil face each other when closed. I personally would have preferred them facing the same direction as I think this would reduce the footprint some. This would however make it a little more pokey in the pocket.

Both of the utensils perform pretty good for their size. They're meant for camping and other things so it's not going to replace the real thing. I'm impressed though, it's made eating my meals interesting for sure. The fork works but the tines are not level, two middle ones are straight while the two outer ones are slightly lower. I think it's so it creates a shape similar to the spoon and make it more rounded when folded up. When opened up the folk is rigid cut through food with my issues. It's usage is fine, just feels a little funny in your mouth due to the tines. The spoon works good as well, just wish I was deeper. When using it for a liquid or loose items the bowl isn't deep enough to fit very much nor keep them from falling off. Both qualms I have with the utensils are a because of size and design shortcomings. This package is meant to be convenient and portable, not an everyday thing like me.

On the whole the E01 titanium 2-in-1 combo does decent. It's not without some design compromises but both utensils work good. A really great thing about this is that price, which comes in at around $25. So, if your looking for some on the go cutlery, and looking for something compact maybe you'll like the CMB Made E01.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The Break Room / Re: Revived Sos Surprise Box GAW ( US edition ).
« Last post by AzteCypher on April 19, 2024, 08:23:26 PM »
 :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44