Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

Day 1

With its relatively short length (shorter than the blade on a 91mm SAK) and partial serrations, the Pro Scout is not a great apple slicer, in addition to being pokey in pocket. Will probably switch it up tomorrow. Side question: Has anyone ever done a blade:handle ratio comparison of multitools? I feel like this is disproportionally short for such a large tool.
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Don't degrease SAK with acetone,,
« Last post by nate j on Today at 12:04:55 AM »
It’s never a bad thing to run ideas like this past the MT.o SAK hive mind.  Whatever the idea may be, most likely someone has already tried it, or at least given it serious consideration.
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Explorer Challenge May 2024
« Last post by nate j on May 01, 2024, 11:58:06 PM »
So happy to join my first challenge

Welcome!
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Which SAK is getting pocket time today?
« Last post by Tuisto on May 01, 2024, 11:46:23 PM »
Workchamp today!

I am enjoying this bigger SAK and nylon scales. Love the tool  selection too... perfect for my needs.

What do you think of the Workchamp? Is it annoying having to lift the scissors or the pliers to get to the underlying screwdrivers? And also, the non-one-hand-opening large blade, what do you think about that compared the the OH versions? I've been looking into a Workchamp for a very very long time now and am just not sure if I want to pull the trigger on that one. I've been carrying around a Swiss Champ for many many years so I wanted to know if it may be a suitable upgrade for harder use. Anyways, I'm carrying my Swiss Champ and a Rescue Tool.
Reviews / Kizer Sheepdog
« Last post by David Bowen on May 01, 2024, 11:42:18 PM »
Products define a company, it may be their best selling item, or could be the first one they released. Examples of this would be Benchmade and its Griptilian. Spyderco and the Delica, or perhaps Buck and the famous 110. All of them defined that company and will forever by synonymous with them. When it comes to Kizer, I feel no other knife put them on the map as much as the Sheepdog. This Chris Conaway collaboration has spawned, a mini, an XL version, and many more. It's design is so popular that I feel helped define the company.

One of those new iteration of the Sheepdog sports a thumb hole instead of a thumb stud, dropped the flipper tab, and added a button lock. The only Sheepdog I've played with is the Mini. It was a nice little blade, but I didn't like the flipper tab getting in the way when closing the knife. The flipper tab was kind of large, but a defining characteristic of the original Sheepdog. This fresh take on a proven model comes with a blade Length of 3.25", a handle length of 4.37", for an overall of 7.62".
The blade is 154CM, it's not a fancy new alphabet steel but does a decent job. Handles are micarta, and weighs in at 4.50oz

Being comfortable is essential with any pocket knife. A handle can make or break a design, transforming it from amazing to mediocre. So, as a result I'm huge on comfort and with my reviews touch on those nuances that affect the user. The Sheepdog's handle design has remained unchanged, with the expectation of shrinking or up sizing it in other models. The handle features a swell in the middle so it fills your hand giving you a good purchase. While the very pronounced finger guard that keeps your grip locked in. The micarta handles are nice, I've really become a fan of this material. It's a combination of the fabric feel to the handle, mixed with the warmth it can have over steel and alloy handle materials. The grooves along the handle scales make for additional texture on which your fingers can dig into when putting the knife to work.

The new button lock makes disengaging the lock a joy to use. Over the last year I feel I much prefer button locks and crossbar locks. I've been a huge frame and liner lock guy over the decades. They're simplistic, and no nonsense. I didn't see why we would need an overly complicated system to keep the blade in a locked position. After being introduced to button locks and their variants, I now prefer them. I think that stems from my appreciation that my hand is never in the way of the blade when when closing. This small but very important change has reduced the potential for injury. I am a very clumsy guy, there's various reasons for this. But, to have that element removed gives me a sense of comfort. Operation is simple, pressing the button unlocks the blade, and allows it to close. There is those that feel button locks are no where near as strong as other designs, but I don't plan on doing anything crazy to warrant a lock failure.

The blade on the Sheepdog is a modified sheepsfoot, could even be considered a cleaver of sorts. I love the angular profile mixed with the gentle belly curve. This reduced belly means that a lot of cuts are very tip centric. Due to the blade shape I tend to use the front third more than anything. The shape makes it great for dispatching boxes, and other fiberous material. This blade screams utility, it's excels when working on those around the home projects. The steel though older does a good job holding an edge, and touches up easily. The blade isn't a great all purpose shape like a clip, or drop point. But it does a great job where those two lack. I do find opening the blade via thumb or Spyderflick way more friendly, and satisfying over the old flipper tab.

The new breed of Sheepdog shows it's true to it's lineage, packing the same features that made it successful. It's a good knife that would be good at work as well as everyday carry. It lacks that standard blade shape so things like piercing can be a little tricky. However, it's solid, and will beg for more.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Which SAK is getting pocket time today?
« Last post by SurgeUk on May 01, 2024, 11:37:38 PM »
An evening out with Mrs Surge  :twak: in central London.

Here's the Compact sitting on a well used Metropolitan Line tube seat  ;)
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Don't degrease SAK with acetone,,
« Last post by Tuisto on May 01, 2024, 11:26:23 PM »
Can I ask, did the acetone do any damage (or anything at all whatsoever) to the Victorinox shield logo?
General Tool Discussion / Re: What tool did you carry today?
« Last post by Antti Lammi on May 01, 2024, 11:25:33 PM »
Great carries guys!

I've been testing out the NexTool E1 for a bit. Really neat little tool! It isn't perfect but it is a good light weight EDC or supplementary tool with great scissors, a half-flat bit driver that works with LM bits and a relatively unique craft blade.

Also I grabbed my entry way drawer Climber to put together the trampoline again.
Nice carry

Only Tools Matters

Leatherman Tools / Re: MAY 2024 MICRA 30 Day Challenge
« Last post by Sos24 on May 01, 2024, 11:15:27 PM »
I’ve been debating signing up for this challenge.  It seems the last several fun things I’ve signed up for, in life or on forum, have either been cut short or I couldn’t do because of higher priorities.  But I’m going to give this a shot.

1.  gra_farmer
2.  LoopCutter
3.  Rich_SD
4.  Fireman
5.  garand2004
6.  PitCarver
7. MTSAK
8. lazar
9. ElevenBlade
10. PaulDMMWC
11. Mangyang
12. ReamerPunch
13. Farmer X
14. powernoodle
15.  Crunchie64
16. Sos24

Day 1
So with that a little look at a pocket carry for the day
Leatherman Tools / Re: MAY 2024 MICRA 30 Day Challenge
« Last post by Sos24 on May 01, 2024, 11:07:35 PM »
Hello
Today is day 1 so here is my first pic. Pretty much my first  EDC on a daily basis.

Now I am off to the west island of 'Stralia tomorrow where judging from newspaper stories any form of MT with any form of sharp something will be frowned upon by the local constabulary
I think it best not carry anything then and as I am travelling with cabin baggage only even wiser.
At the start then I will be back on day 6 with a bunch of catch up pictures if that is ok with the rest of the team.  I have a few Micras to share pictures of.

:cheers:

PD
Nice carry.  I hate how things that use to be common carry are now vilified.  I feel so naked when I have to go without at least a keychain tool.

So ahead of the start of the challenge, I have been carrying the Micra the last few days...just trying to gauge the level it can be pushed....

...some simple gardening to start, but I am just about to start a complete home build this month....so fun times ahead.

(Image removed from quote.)
I love seeing the small tools tested.  Usually it is surprising how much they can handle.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%