Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review Leatherman Monarch 300

Gareth · 32 · 16150

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Review Leatherman Monarch 300
on: November 27, 2009, 12:43:19 AM
  Having just received the Monarch 300 in the post today I thought I might give some of my initial impressions of this little torch (or flashlight if you prefer :D).  

First thing that struck me is the extra length of the thing compared to my Fenix L0D.  As you can see it's more than a touch bigger at 3 5/8" or 93mm long.  While this makes it a bit less friendly as a key-ring torch it's also understandable as the extra size is as a result of having a deep reflector and the inclusion of a tail switch.  So while this torch might not disappear  into your pocket quite as easily, the extra size does at least have some benefit.

The construction feels nice a solid with well formed threads on both the head and tail-cap assemblies.  The finish is a very tactile, slightly bead-blasted effect that gives a nice level of grip and feels like it would stay that way even if wet.  On the down side it also feels very soft and already I can see a couple of little marks showing up.  Time will tell but I suspect this one will end up looking well worn before its time.

It comes with a detachable split-ring and stainless pocket clip (not pictured).  The pocket clip looks good enough and would certainly hold the torch in place, but it's also not without it's flaws.  First and foremost IMO is the fact that it is very free to circle around the body of the torch and has already left a faint ring mark where the tip comes in contact, for that alone I have taken it off.  Also an issue for some would be that there is only one position the clip can be placed in and it means it cannot be used as a ball cap headlight.
  The split-ring is a better affair overall, mounted on a circlip it's strong enough that I cannot see it ever coming off unless you really mean it.  The circlip is also necessary to secure the pocket clip (when in place).

One of the reasons I got this light is because of the tail switch.  Fortunately it's a nicely constructed piece that has a strong positive feel to the click.  One downside is that it's a reverse click and so has no 'momentary-on' capability, also there is no way this thing will tail stand.  Neither one of these facts is that important to me but it may bother others.

As I said at the start of this review the Monarch 300 has quite a deep reflector compared to the L0D.  I believe (but feel free to correct me I'm no torch Jamie) this is the reason it has a far tighter spot and and much less spill.  I actually rather like this as it seems to give a good amount of usable light, for all that this is only advertised as putting out 16 lumen.
  The beam colour is just fine with a touch less blue to it than the Fenix, so nothing to complain about here.  

So on to the beamshots, where would a torch review be without beamshots? :D  I've not gone for trying to bounce the lights on a white wall, but rather have gone for a more 'real world' effect.  So this is the inside of my front door taken from approximately 15' away.  Both light have  freshly charged Ni-MH cells.

Monarch 300 (16 lumen as advertised)

L0D medium (21 lumen as advertised)

L0D low (7.5 lumen as advertised)

L0D high (75 lumen as advertised)

As you can see it stacks up rather well against both the low and the medium settings on the L0D and I think it more than forgiveable that it can't compete with the high setting.

So all in all I'm happy with this little light.  I could wish it smaller but then I'd miss out on two of the features I really like (the switch and the bright spot) so I don't think I have grounds to moan.  The only real let down was the pocket clip, there is no reason that it should be left to move around and all it does is mark up the body.  One little flat surface machined into the attachment point is all that's needed to solve the issue and I'd be a even happier man.  For the money I don't think I have much to complain about, well done Leatherman. :tu:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:45:38 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Re: Review Leatherman Monarch 300
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 02:01:11 AM
 :tu: :tu:

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 02:52:11 AM
Nice beamshots, Gareth. Thanks.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 03:04:57 AM
Nice bit of kit, thanks for the run down on it.

I don't mind lights being a little bigger is they "feel" right... if you know what I mean  :think:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 07:06:02 AM
Good review, Gareth.  Looks like a very decent light for the money.

Looks similar in output to the Streamlight MicroStream, which works great clipped to a baseball cap as a makeshift headlamp.  Very useful to have an instant headlamp when you need your hands free for some task.

It's a shame about the clip on the Monarch.  The clip on the SL MicroStream is reversible for bezel up or bezel down carry.

You might keep an eye out for a clip that could be removed from another penlight, ink pen, etc.  Something that'll fit on the output end of your Monarch, so it'll work as a cap light.

N

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:01:38 AM
Great review there mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 04:02:38 PM
Slight update on this.  I carried it on my keys all day yesterday and it felt fine, not overly bulky at all.  However the ribbing at the top end is very aggressive and seems to serve not real purpose as this isn't a twist-on light. :think:  What it does do though is scratch the heck out of SAK scales. >:(  I spent half an hour today polishing out the marks from my Ambassador.

So for now I've taken it off my keys and dropped it in my other pocket along with my change.  Not perfect perhaps but it'll do until I come up with a better plan. :-\

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 05:56:41 PM
nice review

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 03:35:43 AM
Yeah, I've been looking at these for a while, but pretty much have all my torch needs covered at the moment so never did get one.

Thanks for a very informative review Gareth :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 02:13:26 AM
I've just come up with this little add on, an improvised diffuser stick.  Starting with a Vicks Sinex stick, remove the label.

Widen the opening on the cap very slightly with a sharp knife and you end up with this.

BTW I can just get the Monarch to tail stand but it won't work on anything that is less than perfectly flat.

Vicks product: http://www.vicks.co.uk/sinus-breathing/inhaler-nasal-stick/

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 05:53:45 AM
glad to hear you like it.  i got one on trade and carry it with me from time to time clipped to my pocket.  i will have to try the mod you made :D
'

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 03:20:08 PM
Odd about the heavy ribbing on the top end. :-\ Seems like they could have left it off altogether.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Magnus

Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 11:13:18 AM
how did you measure the light output of the torches?  do you need some kind of special meter?
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 12:23:47 PM
Odd about the heavy ribbing on the top end. :-\ Seems like they could have left it off altogether.

It does seem rather redundent. :-\

how did you measure the light output of the torches?  do you need some kind of special meter?

Yes.

That's it, I don't know any more.  There are other folks here that know a lot more about torches than I do, perhaps one of them can give a slightly fuller answer. :)

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 02:17:25 PM
Thanks for the pics man. Great idea on that diffuser using the Vicks stick too!
<

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 02:20:32 PM
good review gareth, did it come with a clip as well as ive seen some with a clip, i think this will be the next torch for my EDC  :tu:

paul

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 02:33:08 PM

Thanks Abe. :)

good review gareth, did it come with a clip as well as ive seen some with a clip, i think this will be the next torch for my EDC  :tu:

paul

Yes it does come with a clip but it's free to spin all the way around the torch and leaves a nasty mark on the body.  As a clip it works fine though.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 02:35:40 PM

Thanks Abe. :)

paul

Yes it does come with a clip but it's free to spin all the way around the torch and leaves a nasty mark on the body.  As a clip it works fine though.

cheers gareth as wont to clip it in my holder,  ;)

Offline JohnD

Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 09:28:54 PM
Good review, Gareth.  Looks like a very decent light for the money.

Looks similar in output to the Streamlight MicroStream, which works great clipped to a baseball cap as a makeshift headlamp.  Very useful to have an instant headlamp when you need your hands free for some task.

It's a shame about the clip on the Monarch.  The clip on the SL MicroStream is reversible for bezel up or bezel down carry.

You might keep an eye out for a clip that could be removed from another penlight, ink pen, etc.  Something that'll fit on the output end of your Monarch, so it'll work as a cap light.

How does that work mate? I can't get the clip too budge ???
"

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 08:53:31 AM
I've got one of these and while it can't compare to the high level setting on my Fenix L0D its alot easier to turn on one handed due to the rear clicky and you can feel which way its pointing better then the Fenix as you take it out of your pocket .All in all its alot less fiddly to use and the throw is quite acceptable .I keep mine in the leg pocket of my cargo trousers .

The thing is do I need to have both the Fenix and the L0D  :think:  Maybe I'll put the Fenix up for trade as the LM eels better in the hand  :think:

Dunc
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:00:55 AM by Dunc »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 09:33:53 AM
I've got one of these and while it can't compare to the high level setting on my Fenix L0D its alot easier to turn on one handed due to the rear clicky and you can feel which way its pointing better then the Fenix as you take it out of your pocket .All in all its alot less fiddly to use and the throw is quite acceptable .I keep mine in the leg pocket of my cargo trousers .

The thing is do I need to have both the Fenix and the L0D  :think:  Maybe I'll put the Fenix up for trade as the LM eels better in the hand  :think:

Dunc

I really do chop and change between the two of them as well.  I think if I was to only have one light on me it'd be the L0D, the high setting is just so nice to have, but if I have a second bigger light in my bag then I feel fine with the Monarch 300 for just the same reasons you mention.  I'll be hanging onto both of them myself. :)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 09:51:50 AM
Yeh I always have a Fenix TK20 close by , they are really superb lights  :D

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 10:08:50 PM
I've just come up with this little add on, an improvised diffuser stick.  Starting with a Vicks Sinex stick, remove the label.

(Image removed from quote.)

Widen the opening on the cap very slightly with a sharp knife and you end up with this.

BTW I can just get the Monarch to tail stand but it won't work on anything that is less than perfectly flat.

What a great idea , I think I'm going to try it  :tu:

btw my wife has something like this but much much bigger .She must have a really blocked up nose then  :rofl:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 11:36:22 PM
 :o

:D :D

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 05:02:49 AM

btw my wife has something like this but much much bigger .She must have a really blocked up nose then  :rofl:

Aww jeez, why'd you have to go and say that?

FWIW, I also have this torch and really like it. It's sort of my "reference" light in that it's what all my other lights are/will be compared to. :)

Offline Soulreaver296

• New User
Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 04:26:18 PM
One thing you can do is make a stand out of the cap of a tube of krazy glue (the plastic tube with the red cap). i just cut the center part out, and put it on upside down (so the fat part is sticking up along with the flashlight, since thats the way that works for me) and i also bent the pocket clip a bit on the semi ring, and have it so it can act as a hat light (would give pics, but don't have a camera right now... have to grab it later)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 04:33:42 PM
Welcome to the forum Soulreaver  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 07:03:27 PM
Sounds good Soulreaver.  Welcome to the forum. :tu:

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 07:16:00 PM
I've just come up with this little add on, an improvised diffuser stick.  Starting with a Vicks Sinex stick, remove the label.

Thats a great idea! thanks for sharing

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 11:23:14 AM
thanks for the review gareth!
looking into getting one of these.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

Donations

Operational Funds