Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Disassembly Tool

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Leatherman Disassembly Tool
on: March 12, 2010, 02:48:11 AM
I thought Skunkbad's idea of using JB Weld putty as a means too make a LM knurled fastener removal tool was a real goodun. I thought I would give it a crack. Got some JB Weld putty via UK Ebay for a great price (not readily available in OZ). I made 5-6 duds  ::), fortunately a PST awl removes hardened JB putty fairly easily  :D :D. I found it hard to get a even impression when using my hand to push the LM fastener into the putty >:(. So I used my drill press as a pseudo hydraulic press , I put the fastener in the drill chuck & the sockets with the putty in it in the drill clamp. I got some good impressions even though it is a bit tricky as the putty expands & mushrooms. It is meant too mushroom to aid adhesion & plugging , like in a holed fuel tank or radiator , so I can not complain.

Note the different sizes , even though I used the same fastener to make all the impressions , this is due too the mushrooming effect which I could combat to a degree with packing the socket's base & placing the socket upside down on a flat surface.

I got 2 or 3 usable tools , BUT when in use the abrasive/rough  nature of the LM fastener strips the pattern out  :cry: :cry:.

I have been giving this question a bit of thought & the reason for the post is; does anyone know if instead of putty if I plugged the socket with a hard solder & then used my vice again to press a knurled fastener pattern into the solder. Would the solder be hard enough to take a pattern & be used.
Would welding up/plugging a socket be a better option than solder & what material would you use to plug the socket :think: :think: :think:

I like the idea of plugging a socket & then filing the surface down perfectly flat & then pressing the fastener into it. I think you would get a better pattern & tool than the one I got using a unplugged socket & using my vise to press the pattern in.

Any plugging ideas guys  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:50:27 AM by MultiMat »

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Leatherman Disassembly Tool
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:54:53 AM
JB Weld does not resist torque very well.  It is pretty good with shearing forces, but add a rotational component and it seems to let go pretty easily.

IME.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 04:22:34 AM
I can't think of any good substance that would work Mat. :( Why didn't plain sockets work like the ones in your second to last photo? ??? Would those work better if you ground the face of the socket back aways, eliminating the bevel at the lead edge of the socket? It looks like that bevel takes away from about half the thickness of the fastener, which reduces the engagement quite a bit. :-\

Although the socket in the back row center looks to have full engagement. Did it not work well Mat?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:42:43 AM
I can't think of any good substance that would work Mat. :( Why didn't plain sockets work like the ones in your second to last photo? ??? Would those work better if you ground the face of the socket back aways, eliminating the bevel at the lead edge of the socket? It looks like that bevel takes away from about half the thickness of the fastener, which reduces the engagement quite a bit. :-\

Although the socket in the back row center looks to have full engagement. Did it not work well Mat?

Bob the smaller ones work perfectly on Micras , but I only have one that works well on larger fasteners  :( :(. I was thinking if I could some how partially/completely plug the socket it would assist in getting a nice even imprint & also act too grip the top of the fastener in use(a better fit/grip=better tool). My brute force press with the vise does not seem to evenly imprint onto the socket. I have tried filling down the socket to try & assist the process with not much improvement.
What I think might make a difference is using a fastener removed from the tool, in a bit of wood with some washers under it , in the vise & see if I can get a better quality copy, as opposed to pressing the socket onto the fastener whilst it is in the MT :think: :think:. A plugged socket would get the best imprint I think  :think: :think:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 05:52:49 AM
I was thinking of doing this myself, ive used J-B weld alot in the past and generally its amazing stuff, but as said i dont think it will have great torque pressure , with lock tight on the screws it might do them up ok ,it will be loosening them again were the problems might start, i look forward to seeing how they do then i might knock a few up myslef  :tu:

paul 

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 06:32:56 AM
Paul I can give you some tips as the JB Putty wants to blow out both ends of the socket , but the real problem is the fine shallow pattern of the knurled fastener is too much for the putty , with the pattern only lasting 1 or 2 turns before the fastener slips & shreds/strips the pattern out, rendering it knackered  :( :( :(

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 06:37:22 AM
Paul I can give you some tips as the JB Putty wants to blow out both ends of the socket , but the real problem is the fine shallow pattern of the knurled fastener is too much for the putty , with the pattern only lasting 1 or 2 turns before the fastener slips & shreds/strips the pattern out, rendering it knackered  :( :( :(

thanks mat, i do wish there was a tool available but i guess LM dont really wont people taking there tools apart, there must be a market for these for modders  :tu: its a shame you couldnt use those for molds, then cast them, i suppose steel would be the best bet, i did try and cut slots into a hole on a piece of steel, it kind of worked but i only had one  :-\

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 06:45:30 AM
Paul here are some other options mate

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4655.0.html

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,7167.0.html

My micra sockets are perfect , but I only have 1 good large one , I need to make some more & I will try something a bit different this time.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 02:56:04 PM
Good try Mat :tu:  I think the problem is that ideally you want your material to be at least as hard as the nut you want to turn.  Got any molten steel handy :P
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 03:12:24 PM
If You have 1 good large 1 MM then wouldn't a Kick clip make for the other side :) I understand that you are more just wanting a setup to take apart but that might fill the gap until you can come up with another 1 :tu:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:20:42 PM
Mr. Crunch too the rescue Ponch  :tu: :tu:, the Crunch is just holding the fastener & the socket is doing the work,so risk of shagging the fastener is a lot less  :D :D.
I hope I can make a  couple good ones this weekend :D :D

Offline Magnus

Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 07:53:54 PM
Good try Mat :tu:  I think the problem is that ideally you want your material to be at least as hard as the nut you want to turn.  Got any molten steel handy :P

Hmm, I wonder if the is any chemically hardening substance that hard?  :think:
[

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 07:56:42 PM
Paul here are some other options mate

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4655.0.html

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,7167.0.html

My micra sockets are perfect , but I only have 1 good large one , I need to make some more & I will try something a bit different this time.

cheers mat ill browse through those after my night shift dam i wish i had a good internet phone  :rofl:  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 06:52:52 AM
Mr. Crunch too the rescue Ponch  :tu: :tu:, the Crunch is just holding the fastener & the socket is doing the work,so risk of shagging the fastener is a lot less  :D :D.
I hope I can make a  couple good ones this weekend :D :D

I hope they turn out for ya MM :cheers: Crunch is a fine tool for the job ;) :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44