Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

300 head on surge

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
300 head on surge
on: June 01, 2010, 03:01:31 AM
  I had some one offer me (in trade) a supertool 300 head today and the person told me that it would fit perfectly on a surge.
can any one here verify this? Anyone tried it yet?
thanks
[

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Re: 300 head on surge
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 05:43:18 AM
  I had some one offer me (in trade) a supertool 300 head today and the person told me that it would fit perfectly on a surge.
can any one here verify this? Anyone tried it yet?
thanks

Here you go,a post from DaveK with black Surge.   -   http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,13667.255.html

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 05:47:14 AM
DaveK: - "The ST 300 plier heads are basically too wide to allow the Surge to close up properly. Other than that it looks a great idea though!"

Pictures from DaveK.
surge-st300002.jpg
* surge-st300002.jpg (Filesize: 119.77 KB)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:00:26 AM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:49:47 AM
One more.

Pictures from DaveK.
surge-st300003.jpg
* surge-st300003.jpg (Filesize: 75.33 KB)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:00:44 AM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 05:50:24 AM
And again.

Pictures from DaveK.
surge-st300005.jpg
* surge-st300005.jpg (Filesize: 109.04 KB)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:01:03 AM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 05:53:17 AM
Thats what I really want,a Surge with ST300 pliers :drool: :D.Thanks Dave for great job and pictures  :tu:

P.S. Is it possible to little customize ST300 pliers head to fit the Surge?I mean a grinding pliers sides.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:02:01 AM by CumminsDiesel »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 06:31:34 AM
would it close better if the sticky out parts on the st300's pliers were trimmed a little bit down  :think:  :tu:

paul

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 12:34:24 PM
  thanks guys :tu:
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 12:50:43 PM
would it close better if the sticky out parts on the st300's pliers were trimmed a little bit down  :think:  :tu:

paul

Possibly :)
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 01:12:07 PM

paul

:tu: your the man dave  ;)  :tu:

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 06:38:39 PM
If anyone has a ST300 plier head for sale. I will gladly purchase it from them, modify it to fit perfectly into my Surge and post pics afterwards  :D

~ evil ~
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 07:59:25 PM

paul

Say, Dave, what is exactly that makes the ST300 pliers not fit in there well? Could it be that just filing the tabs in the Surge handles would fix the problem? (if Surges have Charge/Wave-style tabs to start with... never owned one myself. :-\)

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 10:52:06 PM
If anyone has a ST300 plier head for sale. I will gladly purchase it from them.

+1  :tu:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 02:40:02 AM

paul

Say, Dave, what is exactly that makes the ST300 pliers not fit in there well? Could it be that just filing the tabs in the Surge handles would fix the problem? (if Surges have Charge/Wave-style tabs to start with... never owned one myself. :-\)

It's the width of the pliers Nikos - the ST300 pliers are much wider than the Surge's :)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 09:44:53 AM
Hey dave, would it be possible to make some cutouts in the back of the surge handles to accommodate the extra width?  From what I understand, the extra on the ST300 plier head is necessary for strength.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 01:42:51 PM
In theory that should be possible - but it would take someone with a lot more skill than I possess tbh!

I'm not sure what that might do to the structural integrity of the tool though.....

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 06:14:18 PM
In theory that should be possible - but it would take someone with a lot more skill than I possess tbh!

I'm not sure what that might do to the structural integrity of the tool though.....

This sounds like a job for a Machinist!  If I had a surge and a spare ST300 plier head I would do it myself.   Bob........?

us Offline evil510

Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 05:52:18 AM
Hey gang. I took the plunge and ordered a new ST300 today for the sole purpose of swapping out the plier head into my Surge. I am confident enough with my skills that I think I can make it work out just fine. Unless I decide to add scissors to the new ST300 with Surge plier head, it'll possibly be up for sale or trade shortly thereafter the mod.....

~ evil ~

CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 11:09:10 PM
Hey gang. I took the plunge and ordered a new ST300 today for the sole purpose of swapping out the plier head into my Surge. I am confident enough with my skills that I think I can make it work out just fine. Unless I decide to add scissors to the new ST300 with Surge plier head, it'll possibly be up for sale or trade shortly thereafter the mod.....

~ evil ~

i look forward to the end product evil  :tu:

us Offline evil510

Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 08:42:10 PM
Hey gang. My brand new ST300 came in yesterday. It wasn't much more than five minutes before I had it apart. In anticipation of doing this mod, while waiting for the ST300 to arrive, I had already taken measurements on my Surge, did all of the prepwork, had it all laid out awaiting the transplant surgery.....

would it close better if the sticky out parts on the st300's pliers were trimmed a little bit down
Actually, yes, they would fit but I personally wouldn't advise it. The amount you would need to remove would definitely weaken the head.....

Could it be that just filing the tabs in the Surge handles would fix the problem? (if Surges have Charge/Wave-style tabs to start with)
Surges do in fact have a similar tab, unfortunately, it is much more than those tabs keeping them from fitting inside.....

From what I understand, the extra on the ST300 plier head is necessary for strength.
From a design point of view, I find this to be very true. In order to have the replaceable cutters, they had to remove a considerable amount of material from the plier head. Without the added extra material, certain parts of the head would be less than 1/8" of an inch thick. This would compromise the strength and defeat the purpose of doing this mod in the first place, I feel. The extra material serves as a backbone.....

So, the question I asked myself was... how to go about this without compromising any strength? I found a solution that worked out perfectly for me. Ever since I added thumbstuds to my blades, I permanently disabled the blade retention system by grinding off the tabs that engage the blades a while back. I never had an issue with a blade opening while using pliers, so removing those tabs were of no loss to me anyway. I did however keep the inner spring system. This is what gives sideways pressure to the friction ramps on the head. By removing that whole system, I gained .130" clearance on each side. But... in doing this another problem arose. Without the side pressure of those springs, the handles effortlessly flung open like a balisong knife. They flopped around like dead weights. When putting the Surge head on the ST300 this wasn't an issue as you could bear down on the bolts to control this. On the Surge, in order to have even a little friction, the bolts had to be so tight that all of the outside implements had to be taken out by force. Now the Surge relies on the sides of the handles for pressure just like an ST300 does. So that meant fabricating some shims. It worked out wonderfully and with zero handle play. When I removed the inner spring system, the spring for the locks relied on the same rivet, so I had to install new rivets as well.....

If you still wanted to keep the inner springs it would be doable... machine off a minimal amount from the plier head, remove the inner springs, reduced their thickness and re-install them. It would be a tight fit... very tight. But I didn't want to sacrifice any of the plier head strength, even by 1%, by removing any material. And like I said, I disabled them a while back and were of no use anyway. Going this route you'd still have a decently strong plier head and the inner springs intact. In my opinion, I wouldn't suggest just machining off the excess material for clearance.....

With all of the mods I've done to my Wave (thumbstuds, SuperAwl, outside opening OH Supersized scissors, guthook and more), I thought it was pretty much my dream tool. I am going to have to rethink that and think of it as just my full sized dream tool... and my Surge as my super-sized dream tool lol. There are still about 3-4 mods I need to do to my Surge before it can claim that title though, but, with the new ST300 head installed and working perfectly, it has definitely taken another step towards that. Photos will be posted soon as well as a post in the mod section.....

~ evil ~

Oh, by the way, anyone interested in a brand new, less than one day old ST300 with also brand new Surge plier head? It's going to be posted soon in the for sale/trade section soon. The ST300 is a great tool with wonderful build quality, but just not my cup of tea. PM me any offers.....

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:45:41 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 12:25:42 AM
How 'bout some pics of that wave?   :D

us Offline evil510

Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 07:22:10 AM
Hey gang. Here are a few photos of the recent mod.....

Supertool 300 plier head installed on Surge.....

Inner spring system removed for clearance, shims installed on handle pivot bolts.....

Close-up of new rivet installed to hold spring for locking tabs.....

Last but not least, fully closed.....

~ evil ~
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 07:34:43 AM
i wish i had skillz :( :D

I do love it when folks mod stuff to suit their needs
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 09:57:24 AM
Very nice Evil.  Great mod, probably makes the perfect Large EDC tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%