Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SANRENMU Tools?

Woz · 39 · 9085

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
SANRENMU Tools?
on: July 03, 2010, 12:31:18 PM
Some time ago we disussed Sanrenmu knives here, and most said the knifes are quite good quality for low price. Now I wanted to order one or more of the Sanrenmu 710 Sebenza clone and found... some multitools.

All tools seem to have 440c blades (not bad for a Chinese tool, LM just uses 420 on most tools, not to mention Gerber). Design elements of Gerber tools (skeletonized handles, springloaded pliers) but also of Victorinox (Spirit-style curved handles) can be found. But the overall look is nice, the can opener and awl look unique and the tools do not look like cheap knock-offs. Does anyone here own a Sanremnu tool? I´d love to read a review!

(If I can get one I´ll review it myself, so please link me a source if you find one)

Here´s the tool page: http://sanrenmu.com/en/
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Re: SANRENMU Tools?
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 01:28:41 PM
I have a SRM 707 knife. I am no expert in knifes but I like it alot. I know they are popular at British Blades; I couldn't find any straight up review but the 710 is one of the faves  :tu:

There are pics of the 710 here

No experience with the multitools though  :-\

Where are you buying them from Christian? If you need someone to bulk the order out let me know :D

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:21:39 PM
Anyone know of a good source on these for the US?  Some of the combo knives look preety cool.

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 10:45:50 PM
those pivot screws look familiar don't they?  :D

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 10:56:58 PM
Now this is interesting! Outside accessable tools on very nice looking multitools, we need hands on reviews though, cant take this sort of stuff at face value.

us Offline Deere Man

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 11:15:47 PM
Wow the Sanrenmu knives look pretty tempting, even if some of the designs look a bit familiar.  High quality, low price.  What's not to like?  I may have to get my hands on a 710.   

For the multis do an ebay search for Ganzo multitool.  It's a different Chinese company, but the tools look identical.  Maybe they've teamed up or something.   

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 11:36:58 PM
It does say Ganzo on the plier heads, possibly a buy out  :think:

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 11:38:49 PM
Wow the Sanrenmu knives look pretty tempting, even if some of the designs look a bit familiar.  High quality, low price.  What's not to like?  I may have to get my hands on a 710.   

For the multis do an ebay search for Ganzo multitool.  It's a different Chinese company, but the tools look identical.  Maybe they've teamed up or something.   

Ganzo is a Yangjiang tool factory; I'm pretty sure Sanrenmu just helps market/distribute the tools, as their business is making knives (mostly OEM for a bunch of well-known brands).

I found this photo to be pretty funny

:rofl:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 01:16:58 AM
I have a SRM 707 knife. I am no expert in knifes but I like it alot. I know they are popular at British Blades; I couldn't find any straight up review but the 710 is one of the faves  :tu:

There are pics of the 710 here

(Image removed from quote.)

No experience with the multitools though  :-\

Where are you buying them from Christian? If you need someone to bulk the order out let me know :D

Near exact copy of the CRKT Drifter - I wonder who exactly SanRenMu OEMs for?  I've had a few in the past, I actually have two on order - they were like $6 each shipped, thought I'd just get a couple of small beaters that I wouldn't mind disappearing on me.

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 10:49:22 AM

Near exact copy of the CRKT Drifter - I wonder who exactly SanRenMu OEMs for?  I've had a few in the past, I actually have two on order - they were like $6 each shipped, thought I'd just get a couple of small beaters that I wouldn't mind disappearing on me.

OMG :o  It really is a CRKT Drifter copy. I like it though :D

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 01:42:49 PM
The SRM knives are great for the money, I was given one by a nice chap over at BB...

Fantastic bit of kit, if you didn't know, you would pay far more money for one of these.

I'd really like to know what the multitools are like as well.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 08:01:19 PM
I ordered some knives from ebay. Have to wait some weeks (the seller says 15-21 workdays), but i guess I will have nice new toys to review ;)
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 08:31:06 PM

OMG :o  It really is a CRKT Drifter copy. I like it though :D

SanRenMu does have a couple of near straight CRKT copies on their site, and considering the QC issues I've had with CRKT knives and multis lately I might be tempted to buy the SRM knives instead (maybe).

I've owned a 710 - it was surprisingly well made, and the guys over at BritishBlades seriously love that knife.  They did a couple of group orders and even had a modding contest.  It was a little heavy for me, though, so I gave it away.  At $8 shipped, it's not like it's a big deal.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 06:41:51 PM
Alright you guys are in trouble.  I looked at these knives on-line and just ordered the one below.  Cheap, cool knives=a slow financial bleed on me.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:43:40 PM by cgk »

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 06:53:55 PM
Alright you guys are in trouble.  I looked at these knives on-line and just ordered the one below.  Cheap, cool knives=a slow financial bleed on me.

I put up a review of an SRM that I just got in the Reviews section if you'd like to read some specifics.

Wait, did I say review?  I meant multiple-paragraph marriage proposal, 'cause that's how it's reading the day after.

us Offline Deere Man

Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 10:57:21 PM

Besides the 710, this one's really got my attention too.  I'll probably never be able to drop the $$ for a real Benchmade, but I sure would like to try out the axis lock. 

Let us know if it locks up like the real thing. 

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 12:54:26 AM
I tried the Axis lock on one of the friend of my father's Benchmade; I quite liked it. :)

Offline shecky

Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 06:47:32 AM
I've been wondering about those multis, too. Being very impressed with Sanrenmu knives, I am curious about the MTs showcased on their site.

SanRenMu does have a couple of near straight CRKT copies on their site, and considering the QC issues I've had with CRKT knives and multis lately I might be tempted to buy the SRM knives instead (maybe).

Funny you should say this. I bought a CRKT KISS folder, and a Sanrenmu copy. The Sanrenmu beats the CRKT in every way. Better steel. Much better fit and finish, about one third the price, shipped. If I were Ed Halligan, designer of the KISS, I'd be pissed. Not because he was copied, but because his name is on a sub par knife while the knock off is much better and cheaper to boot. After several Sanrenmu knives passing though my hands, I'd easily buy another sight unseen without worry, and reluctant to buy a CRKT unless I could inspect it first. Hopefully, this will light a fire under CRKT's butt to get the house in order.

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 07:10:07 AM
I've been wondering about those multis, too. Being very impressed with Sanrenmu knives, I am curious about the MTs showcased on their site.

Funny you should say this. I bought a CRKT KISS folder, and a Sanrenmu copy. The Sanrenmu beats the CRKT in every way. Better steel. Much better fit and finish, about one third the price, shipped. If I were Ed Halligan, designer of the KISS, I'd be pissed. Not because he was copied, but because his name is on a sub par knife while the knock off is much better and cheaper to boot. After several Sanrenmu knives passing though my hands, I'd easily buy another sight unseen without worry, and reluctant to buy a CRKT unless I could inspect it first. Hopefully, this will light a fire under CRKT's butt to get the house in order.

Sanrenmu is one of CRKT's OEM manufacturers (or at least they were) :oops:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 08:03:48 AM

Unfortunately, the Ganzos they have listed aren't very good.  Basic, serviceable, but not that good.

As for CRKT, I've been hearing similar things from a couple of store owners/salespeople that regularly deal with CRKT stuff - declining quality over the last few years.  I used to have a pretty good collection of CRKT knives, I don't buy them any more, though.  The only thing I have left is a limited edition 24K Peck.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 04:15:11 PM

Besides the 710, this one's really got my attention too.  I'll probably never be able to drop the $$ for a real Benchmade, but I sure would like to try out the axis lock. 

Let us know if it locks up like the real thing. 
Im still waiting, but will let you know as soon as it arrives.  I got for the same reason your thinking about it.

Offline shecky

Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 07:44:35 PM
Sanrenmu is one of CRKT's OEM manufacturers (or at least they were) :oops:

I wouldn't be surprised. The main point being that Sanrenmu knives are very good. Interestingly, the SRM copy of the KISS is just that. The dimensions are not exactly the same, and the parts don't look to be interchangeable. In this case, it's not like the SRM copies were knives that "exited the back door" the way some copies seem to be.

I've wondered if this was the case for another SRM I have, which seems to be a very close copy of a Boker Magnum folder. I suspect this may actually be a case of rebranding the same product, as several of the Magnum line have doppelgangers in the SRM line.

Unfortunately, the Ganzos they have listed aren't very good.  Basic, serviceable, but not that good.

Ahh... disappointing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:46:56 PM by shecky »

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 10:25:29 PM
Honestly, with so many great knives being quite cheap these days I'm really not interested in SRM's line... Knives like the SOG Flash series or the Kershaw Skyline are around 30 bucks...  :shrug:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 11:47:18 PM
Honestly, with so many great knives being quite cheap these days I'm really not interested in SRM's line... Knives like the SOG Flash series or the Kershaw Skyline are around 30 bucks...  :shrug:

Not in Canada they aren't... the cheapest I can find for either is ~$50 for either line.

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 12:30:08 AM
touché, sir...

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 05:35:23 PM
Got my 710 and 962 yesterday. Great knives for the buck!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 05:53:39 PM

That looks really nice.  If Benchmade made a high-end Vex with Axis lock, I'd imagine it would look like that.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline shecky

Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 10:17:35 PM

The thing about SRM knives is that they are not only good knives for the price. They're good knives, period. I actually carry SRM far more often than my Kershaw Skyline, because they suit me better, regardless of price.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 01:21:51 AM

The thing about SRM knives is that they are not only good knives for the price. They're good knives, period. I actually carry SRM far more often than my Kershaw Skyline, because they suit me better, regardless of price.

I'll echo this statement.  After picking up an SRM 704 a couple of weeks back (and subsequently the Black TiNi coated version), one or the other's been in my pocket the entire time.

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 01:42:41 AM
wow. see, I've been on the fence about so many damn knives recently. I was about to pull the trigger on a SOG Flash 1, but I keep changing my mind, or finding another product or or or... Just today I was pretty determined to just be patient, save up and buy myself a Benchmade mini-griptillian. In your opinion, do you think I would be better off getting this knife (the SRM with the Axis lock)? I'm just curious because all the owners are saying it's incredible and what have you, but then again, to they REALLY compare to the Benchmades? Am I just being a prick and looking at the brand name over the actual knife?

BTW where do you guys buy them from, anyways?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:27:20 AM by markn951 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD